SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at NDSU 12/9

darell1976

If our men's team gets healthy we are going to be fun and competitive in the Big Sky. If we ever get to play with the whole team there will be fan interest.

I have to agree. Someone posted somewhere, when is this team going to get a break. This team was as close to being 4-2 against a very good non-conference schedule as they are 1-5 heading into this game. Then 3 minutes into this game Brekke goes out with a concussion. There goes are only only good rebounder besides Huff ( who has missed every game but the first one). Whats been our biggest issues so far? Rebounding has cost us 2 games and free throw shooting cost us one game. When Huff gets back and Brekke gets back and Traylor gets more experience I believe the rebounding issue will be resolved. Thats my optimistic view of this team and I believe this is still going to be a very good team come league play. its difficult too make judgement on this team at this point even though the record is a dismal 1-6, but we can make a lot of improvements as I am ready to discuss with or without some of our best players. Now I must criticize what happened last night after having a very good nights rest. NDSU had a very easy time guarding our offense and changes need to be made at this end. I am going to pick on a few players, i'm sorry. Anderson I don't believe sees the floor when he decides to penetrate and throws up junk and falls to the floor creating a 5 of 4 for the other team when he doesn't get his flop call. There are certain players Anderson does not ever see on the floor that are wide open and I'm not going to mention their names but its very obvious. He puts his head down and just drives. Wilmer and Archer are playing some hard minutes but after 5 years they don't have a clue how to box out. Schuler and Antwi are the only ones that can make pull up jumpers on this team from 10-15 feet but no screens are set up for them or plays it appears. NDSU runs thru 2-3 screens being popping out for a wide open shot. We maybe attempt one screen that the defender easily gets around for some reason. They have to create these shots for themselves so lets learn how to set a screen without a foul for them. This game was lost on the boards but again without Brekke, Huff and an experienced Traylor this will continue. This is the good and bad. Also, seeing Huff last night he looked so thin. I would think he is still weeks from being able to play at the level we need him to play.

Here is the Sagarin ratings for the Big Sky: http://usatoday30.us...rin/bkc1213.htm

103 Weber State = 76.48 3 2 73.56( 139) 0 0 | 0 0 | 76.09 108 | 76.70 102

155 Montana = 72.96 2 3 77.43( 33) 0 0 | 0 0 | 73.25 149 | 72.51 162

230 Sacramento State = 68.02 3 3 71.54( 221) 0 0 | 0 0 | 67.21 239 | 68.64 225

238 Eastern Washington = 67.33 2 6 73.97( 128) 0 0 | 0 0 | 67.11 242 | 67.40 239

248 Portland State = 66.86 0 4 80.82( 9) 0 1 | 0 1 | 66.97 245 | 66.59 255

249 Northern Colorado = 66.82 0 6 79.32( 12) 0 1 | 0 2 | 66.35 258 | 67.12 245

265 Northern Arizona = 66.11 3 5 74.41( 111) 0 1 | 0 2 | 66.86 251 | 65.12 282

270 North Dakota = 65.85 0 6 78.29( 23) 0 0 | 0 1 | 66.86 252 | 64.55 290

291 Montana State = 64.51 1 5 71.12( 232) 0 0 | 0 0 | 63.22 304 | 65.51 276

315 Idaho State = 62.23 0 6 75.35( 83) 0 0 | 0 0 | 62.87 306 | 61.33 316

334 Southern Utah = 59.08 0 6 74.50( 110) 0 1 | 0 1 | 59.26 329 | 58.72 336

Weber State may be the team to beat.

Overall the BSC has looked terrible so far except for Weber, the non-conference games have really cast a dark shadow on the league. Montana should start playing better because Cherry is about ready to go, but some of the other teams need to get it going or this conference is going to be a two team race.

Overall the BSC has looked terrible so far except for Weber, the non-conference games have really cast a dark shadow on the league. Montana should start playing better because Cherry is about ready to go, but some of the other teams need to get it going or this conference is going to be a two team race.

That's why I look at the SOS and take the non-conference records with a grain of salt. UND is 0-6 in DI games but has the 23rd toughest schedule in the nation. There are 4 BSC teams (Montana, PSU, UNC and UND) that are in the top 50 in SOS. The teams that should be worried are the ones at the bottom of the league with the worst SOS like Montana State (SOS of 232).

Though a loss to NDSU always hurts, I'm not all that worried about this team. Being down Huff put us in a hole to begin with and losing Brekke early was a dagger. We had almost no inside presence and got manhandled on the boards without last year's 2 best rebounders. It's tough to ask Wilmer, Archer, and Allard to make up for the kind of production that Huff and Brekke bring to the table. I still like our chances in the Big Sky as long as Brekke's injury isn't too serious.

That's why I look at the SOS and take the non-conference records with a grain of salt. UND is 0-6 in DI games but has the 23rd toughest schedule in the nation. There are 4 BSC teams (Montana, PSU, UNC and UND) that are in the top 50 in SOS. The teams that should be worried are the ones at the bottom of the league with the worst SOS like Montana State (SOS of 232).

It's not so much the losing that's been bad, they should lose because they have been playing against better opponents, but the margins have been terrible...most BSC teams have been getting destroyed by teams that they should be able to at least hang around with or slipping by teams they should handle easier.

Agreed though, teams like Idaho State and Montana State look brutal, and I'm not so sure SUU isn't about the same.

I'm sorry but this team has not improved at all since these guys were freshman, they can't win on the road, they are horrible free throw shooters, and Huff and Brekke are hurt all the time...interest is nonexistent and apathy exists partly due to the Faison/Kelly smokescreen that pitted our fans against each other in the nickname saga...2 years ago I thought there would be excitement with this group heading into the Big Sky but this community is greeting it with a big yawn...cue the crickets chirping...

Still early in the season to see how good (or bad) this team is going to be. Our non conference schedule is tougher than our conference schedule. Pluss we should be healthy after the new year. Before everyone jumps off the bandwagon, just have some patience...or at least a little bit. Let's get all our guys healthy out there and lets see what they can do. Everyone needs to calm down.

• Upvote 1

Still early in the season to see how good (or bad) this team is going to be. Our non conference schedule is tougher than our conference schedule. Pluss we should be healthy after the new year. Before everyone jumps off the bandwagon, just have some patience...or at least a little bit. Let's get all our guys healthy out there and lets see what they can do. Everyone needs to calm down.

Would people act this way if the hockey team started 0-6 or 1-7? Its a long season this isn't football where its done in 3 months. I agree that everyone needs to calm down.

Would people act this way if the hockey team started 0-6 or 1-7? Its a long season this isn't football where its done in 3 months. I agree that everyone needs to calm down.

No, it would be much much worse. Imaging the current men's hockey team starting like that and the comments being made.

Taylor Braun goes for 22 including 3/5 from 3. Last year he had 8 with no 3's. Attribute that to Huff's defense, it was sorely missing yesterday and was a huge difference in the game. Brekke getting a whole 3 minutes before being concussed didn't help either, pretty apparent considering they pulled down 18 offensive rebounds. UND was outshot 62-39 and lost the TO battle 19-6. Tough to win any games with stats like that. The Summit refs didn't help matter by not allowing for any flow in the game, terrible. That being said, I expected UND to play better but they looked like a much different team than they did against SDSU.

This was a big OOC game for bragging rights, but in the grand scheme of things, does nothing to the ultimate goal of this team, winning the Big Sky tournament. Hopefully Brekke will be fine, Huff will be back and this team starts gelling. Getting Nash back would be a nice bonus, but with the NCAA, not holding my breath.

Would people act this way if the hockey team started 0-6 or 1-7? I agree that everyone needs to calm down.

No, it would be much much worse. Imaging the current men's hockey team starting like that and the comments being made.

For Example: Last season UND started 1-5 in WCHA play

In the world of Mid Major basketball, there are primarily 3 goals taht teams can set their sites for. 1) making the conference tournament 2) winning the regular season championship (and in the case of the Big Sky this allows you to host the conference tournament) and 3) winning the conference tournament for an autobid into the Big Dance. Yes, the non conference games at the beginning of the season are important because it gauges how the rest of the season will go. but in the grand scheme of things especially relating to those 3 goals I listed, they don't mean too much. I think a reasonable goal for this team is to make the Big Sky tournament at the end of the year. Definitely attainable. One you are there, then make some noise, pull off a few upsets, and then who knows!! Look at the last 2 years in the Great West. Sure it was an easier conference, but we were by no means the favorite to win the conference tourney either of those years, but we got hot and won it. Same thing can happen this year.

So basically what I am saying is OOC games at the beginning of the season for a mid major team don't really mean a whole lot when you really look at what you want to accomplish this year.

• Upvote 2

It is early but there are still issues that need to be resolved. Will be interesting when Huff comes back and what our lineup and subs will be and if he will be a team player and not try to catch up on time missed. We need to settle down with about 8 players and no more. Our bigs need to learn how to box out and set screens. Its been too long since the appeal that I would think Nash's year is over. When UCLA and Indiana appealed the decision was made within a few days. Granted once we enter into the Big Sky our schedule will be easier and I still believe we have a chance.

I don't subscribe to the theory that any game that is not conference game means nothing. I expect North Dakota to have a chance to win every time they take the court, the field, or the ice.

I'm a pretty patient guy, often apologetic, and I've seen alot of positives in several of the losses, but I certainly don't expect to get run out of the building by the likes of NDSU or even UNI.

I don't think pooh-poohing a 1-6 start as "meaningless" is the best frame of mind...................

There are a few positives to take away from this game:

-Free Throw shooting: After that clunker against UMKC, they went 16-19 from the line. This makes it the 5th game out of 7 that they have shot above 70% as a team. We are now shooting 68.9% on the year as a team (we drop about 8-10% from the UMKC game so this is a nice bump)

-Wilmer: While his rebounding wasn't the greatest, okay it sucked, and he fouled out, but he did give us at least SOME post position. Out of the 3 seniors that have played he has played the best (which is a big surprise to me, I thought it would be Allard).

Negatives:

-Rebounding: SUCKED! You do not give up 18 Offensive rebound, I don't care if Brekke was knocked out of the game, rebounding is all about want and heart. If you are an undersized team you need to be more energenic and work harder to get every loose ball. We didn't do that. We cut those O-Board in half and this game gets a lot more interesting. Hawaii was way bigger than us and we were dead even with them on the boards!

-Traylor: Bjorklund worked him like Marquez worked Pac-Man in the 6th round. We needed him to step up once Brekke went down and he proceded to get called for 3 Illegal Screens

-Turnovers: Will give credit that NDSU D's caused most of them, but come on guys... you need to adjust

-Allard: My patients is growing thin with this kid, has done nothing since the first 2 games of the year and needs to step it up or else lose more minutes to Brekke, Traylor, Wilmer and Archer.

There is a lot more I can add, but I do not have time. It was a very poor effort (not as bad as our UNI effort, that was a lot worse that this).

After that rebounding performance, I felt like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhcWvBpSfo

I don't subscribe to the theory that any game that is not conference game means nothing. I expect North Dakota to have a chance to win every time they take the court, the field, or the ice.

I'm a pretty patient guy, often apologetic, and I've seen alot of positives in several of the losses, but I certainly don't expect to get run out of the building by the likes of NDSU or even UNI.

I don't think pooh-poohing a 1-6 start as "meaningless" is the best frame of mind...................

Im not. 1-6 when we should be at least 3-3 is not acceptable. Be differerent if was 6 ranked teams but not with the schedule we have. Its time to step up, we are officially 1 week away from the conference season starting.

It is early but there are still issues that need to be resolved. Will be interesting when Huff comes back and what our lineup and subs will be and if he will be a team player and not try to catch up on time missed. We need to settle down with about 8 players and no more. Our bigs need to learn how to box out and set screens. Its been too long since the appeal that I would think Nash's year is over. When UCLA and Indiana appealed the decision was made within a few days. Granted once we enter into the Big Sky our schedule will be easier and I still believe we have a chance.

I would bet Huff comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder and play like he did to finish the year last year. Unfortunately we do not know how much longer he will be out. I hope Brekke concussion isn't serious and they took him out as a precaution. What 8 man rotation were you thinking something like this? (not my lineup, just in a random order)

Anderson

Antwi

Brekke

Huff

Schuler

Webb

Traylor

some combination of Wilmer/Allard/Archer?

I have to agree with you Bin. I'm sorry every game is important. UNI,Fargo U, and Kansas City, were games that were good examples of not acceptable. Granted UND, is missing some key personnel, however, when that happens guys have to step in and make a game of it. The way we started the 2nd half against NDSU, was just disgusting. Giving the ball away and allowing NDSU to basically run away with it at that point, should not be the case no matter the circumstances. If there is a saving grace, I guess RPI really shouldn't matter to us, as we are a "one bid" league, and we know the only way to get that bid is to win the conference tournament. But unfortunately, RPI does mean something to me, it means that our players are figuring D1 out, and to have that record and RPI at this point is just a kick in the gut if you ask me.

I am about the least critical person on the men's basketball pages, and to a fault I often defend a lot of the players being criticised here. However, I'm going submit this criticism- at least in the NDSU game and at other times this season, we seem soft. By soft, I mean we don't get into people physically and when other teams make runs, we crumble a little- mentally. For example, Traylor, I like him he seems to be a decent player, but he is not in the least bit physical. He doesn't appear to be overly interested in getting into anyone underneath on a shot taken from the perimeter. Wilmer had the ball stripped right out of his 2 hands...that cannot happen, got to be squeeze that thing. Although I thought Wilmer battled for us yesterday, I would like to see him more ball tough. Also, Mitch your nearly 7 feet tall, don't leave your feet on so many shot fakes- you shouldn't have to jump to create a challenge to shoot over. All it does is give the official the opportunity to make a marginal call on you. If you leave your feet to challenge, you put yourself in a tough spot.

In regards to the moving screens. I don't mind a ball screen heavy offense, but philosophically- I disagree how we set screens. I don't like running right up and screening the man, personally. I like to see screens set in the vicinity of the player, and forcing the the guy that is using the screen (in most cases our ball handlers) to use the screen effectively. The honus should be on the guy who is using the screen to rub his player off, but staying tight to the screen, making sure the player trailing him is going to run into the screener is the responsibility of the screenee if done correctly.

This past week was a bad week for our basketball team- so I'm not in great spirits. Thank goodness, this is a new week.

If there is a saving grace, I guess RPI really shouldn't matter to us, as we are a "one bid" league, and we know the only way to get that bid is to win the conference tournament. But unfortunately, RPI does mean something to me, it means that our players are figuring D1 out, and to have that record and RPI at this point is just a kick in the gut if you ask me.

I place a bit more emphasis on the RPI ratings............................

Where we fall, or where any Big Sky team falls in the RPI ratings honestly doesn't mean alot in the grand scheme of things. You are right that the Big Sky is a one-bid league 99.9% of the time. However, I'd argue that last season, the Big Sky was on the cusp of getting two teams in the tourney. Montana got the autobid by winning the Tourney. Their final RPI was 74, while Weber St.'s was 71. They split in the regular season, and Montana won the Tourney championship against Weber. I felt that if Weber would have won the Big Sky Tourney, their was a miniscule chance that UM, who was the regular season champ, could have also gotten an invite to the NCAA Tourney. That would have been huge for the conference, although the chances were remote.

Another reason RPI is important is for $$$$$$$$$.............

The big-time schools won't offer big money to programs that have an RPI rating that hovers around 300. When the "money games" come around, those big schools want to schedule the low/mid-major teams that have RPI ratings in the top half of the NCAA, because that is what makes their RPI ratings go up, and that is what makes their chances for at-large bids to the NCAA tourney go up. I'm thinking that our 1-6 non-conference record thus far in 2012 has at least cost the program $100,000 in guarantee money for the 2013-14 season................

Teams at our level basically make or break their RPI rating in the non-conference season. Not much movement can occur during conference play.

I have to agree with you Bin. I'm sorry every game is important. UNI,Fargo U, and Kansas City, were games that were good examples of not acceptable. Granted UND, is missing some key personnel, however, when that happens guys have to step in and make a game of it. The way we started the 2nd half against NDSU, was just disgusting. Giving the ball away and allowing NDSU to basically run away with it at that point, should not be the case no matter the circumstances. If there is a saving grace, I guess RPI really shouldn't matter to us, as we are a "one bid" league, and we know the only way to get that bid is to win the conference tournament. But unfortunately, RPI does mean something to me, it means that our players are figuring D1 out, and to have that record and RPI at this point is just a kick in the gut if you ask me.

I am about the least critical person on the men's basketball pages, and to a fault I often defend a lot of the players being criticised here. However, I'm going submit this criticism- at least in the NDSU game and at other times this season, we seem soft. By soft, I mean we don't get into people physically and when other teams make runs, we crumble a little- mentally. For example, Traylor, I like him he seems to be a decent player, but he is not in the least bit physical. He doesn't appear to be overly interested in getting into anyone underneath on a shot taken from the perimeter. Wilmer had the ball stripped right out of his 2 hands...that cannot happen, got to be squeeze that thing. Although I thought Wilmer battled for us yesterday, I would like to see him more ball tough. Also, Mitch your nearly 7 feet tall, don't leave your feet on so many shot fakes- you shouldn't have to jump to create a challenge to shoot over. All it does is give the official the opportunity to make a marginal call on you. If you leave your feet to challenge, you put yourself in a tough spot.

In regards to the moving screens. I don't mind a ball screen heavy offense, but philosophically- I disagree how we set screens. I don't like running right up and screening the man, personally. I like to see screens set in the vicinity of the player, and forcing the the guy that is using the screen (in most cases our ball handlers) to use the screen effectively. The honus should be on the guy who is using the screen to rub his player off, but staying tight to the screen, making sure the player trailing him is going to run into the screener is the responsibility of the screenee if done correctly.

This past week was a bad week for our basketball team- so I'm not in great spirits. Thank goodness, this is a new week.

Very well said!!

Where we fall, or where any Big Sky team falls in the RPI ratings honestly doesn't mean alot in the grand scheme of things. You are right that the Big Sky is a one-bid league 99.9% of the time. However, I'd argue that last season, the Big Sky was on the cusp of getting two teams in the tourney. Montana got the autobid by winning the Tourney. Their final RPI was 74, while Weber St.'s was 71. They split in the regular season, and Montana won the Tourney championship against Weber. I felt that if Weber would have won the Big Sky Tourney, their was a miniscule chance that UM, who was the regular season champ, could have also gotten an invite to the NCAA Tourney. That would have been huge for the conference, although the chances were remote.

The big-time schools won't offer big money to programs that have an RPI rating that hovers around 300. When the "money games" come around, those big schools want to schedule the low/mid-major teams that have RPI ratings in the top half of the NCAA, because that is what makes their RPI ratings go up, and that is what makes their chances for at-large bids to the NCAA tourney go up. I'm thinking that our 1-6 non-conference record thus far in 2012 has at least cost the program $100,000 in guarantee money for the 2013-14 season................

Teams at our level basically make or break their RPI rating in the non-conference season. Not much movement can occur during conference play.

What was our RPI last year when we got Kansas on the schedule? It couldn't have been a low number since we were in the GWC. I would think we were close to the 270-300 range.

There are a few positives to take away from this game:

-Free Throw shooting: After that clunker against UMKC, they went 16-19 from the line. This makes it the 5th game out of 7 that they have shot above 70% as a team. We are now shooting 68.9% on the year as a team (we drop about 8-10% from the UMKC game so this is a nice bump)

-Wilmer: While his rebounding wasn't the greatest, okay it sucked, and he fouled out, but he did give us at least SOME post position. Out of the 3 seniors that have played he has played the best (which is a big surprise to me, I thought it would be Allard).

Negatives:

-Rebounding: SUCKED! You do not give up 18 Offensive rebound, I don't care if Brekke was knocked out of the game, rebounding is all about want and heart. If you are an undersized team you need to be more energenic and work harder to get every loose ball. We didn't do that. We cut those O-Board in half and this game gets a lot more interesting. Hawaii was way bigger than us and we were dead even with them on the boards!

-Traylor: Bjorklund worked him like Marquez worked Pac-Man in the 6th round. We needed him to step up once Brekke went down and he proceded to get called for 3 Illegal Screens

-Turnovers: Will give credit that NDSU D's caused most of them, but come on guys... you need to adjust

-Allard: My patients is growing thin with this kid, has done nothing since the first 2 games of the year and needs to step it up or else lose more minutes to Brekke, Traylor, Wilmer and Archer.

There is a lot more I can add, but I do not have time. It was a very poor effort (not as bad as our UNI effort, that was a lot worse that this).

After that rebounding performance, I felt like this

Im not. 1-6 when we should be at least 3-3 is not acceptable. Be differerent if was 6 ranked teams but not with the schedule we have. Its time to step up, we are officially 1 week away from the conference season starting.

I would bet Huff comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder and play like he did to finish the year last year. Unfortunately we do not know how much longer he will be out. I hope Brekke concussion isn't serious and they took him out as a precaution. What 8 man rotation were you thinking something like this? (not my lineup, just in a random order)

Anderson

Antwi

Brekke

Huff

Schuler

Webb

Traylor

some combination of Wilmer/Allard/Archer?

Thats exactly who I was thinking. Dont really see anybody else contributing to this team this year. Alot was said about Benton pre-season but after watching him try to defend NDSU he is slow and got crossed up many times in the minutes he played. Allard might get the minutes for Traylor if Traylor doesnt toughen up but I believe we need to settle on about 8 guys and figure things out with only 8 like every other team in the nation does. Go with our absolute best and win or lose with these guys. I also believe we can be very strong at the 1,2 and 3 positions we just need to figure things out at the 4 and 5. That's why I think Huff at the 4 would by far be our best lineup. Many mid level teams go with a 4 guard set and Huff is more than a guard with his athletic ability to rebound and jump. Huff would no doubt be getting more rebounds than our current 4 position players and scroing more also. Webb, Anderson, Schuler, Huff and Brekke would be 5 double digit scorers and they have all scored more than 20 in a game with the exception of Brekke I believe. This would be a quick and a good scoring and defensive team. Antwi would sub in for the 1 and 2 spot with Huff moving to the 3 to rest Schuler and Traylor or Allard for Huff and Wilmer for Brekke. In my opion the most solid we would be.

I'm not saying I'm willing to pooh pooh, RPI, because you raise good points, especially on the financial front. But don't you think that in order for the Big Sky to receive a 2nd bid 2 teams inlcluding the conference tournament champion and then the runner up would both have to have RPI's well inside the Top 50 to get an at-large? I only say this, because to get inside the Top 50 would still be a significant way to go to get there-- for most of the Big Sky institutions.