SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - Saturday

AZSIOUX

We get it. You don't need to mention it every other post.

You use the hot goalie phrase about 1000 times more than Schloss ever has. :p

A gross exaggeration. I usually talk about it when others bring it up, which people did after Friday's game. And no, most people on here don't get it, hence my signature being what it is. Anyway.........

Big 2 points on the road. Time for a big home weekend vs. Denver. Time for a stick salute!!!!

A gross exaggeration. I usually talk about it when others bring it up, which people did after Friday's game. And no, most people on here don't get it, hence my signature being what it is. Anyway.........

Big 2 points on the road. Time for a big home weekend vs. Denver. Time for a stick salute!!!!

So in about a half hour of time we go from losing four in a row to a stick salute in your mind? Wow.

So in about a half hour of time we go from losing four in a row to a stick salute in your mind? Wow.

It didn't look good with two minutes left in the game on Saturday, did it? I was calling it as I saw it at the time and I will not ever apologize for doing that. Game tying goals with seconds left in the game are not exactly common. And while we did win the game on Saturday, we still have a lot of things to work on this weekend vs. Denver if the stick salute (let alone a split) is going to happen. The following weekend at Michigan Tech (no longer a push-over) is just as important.

I simply am not a pollyan-ish, cheerleading type of fan.

It didn't look good with two minutes left in the game on Saturday, did it? I was calling it as I saw it at the time and I will not ever apologize for doing that. Game tying goals with seconds left in the game are not exactly common. And while we did win the game on Saturday, we still have a lot of things to work on this weekend vs. Denver if the stick salute (let alone a split) is going to happen. The following weekend at Michigan Tech (no longer a push-over) is just as important.

I simply am not a pollyan-ish, cheerleading type of fan.

So basically you were determining everything on what the outcome of the game was, not how they were playing. So because the outcome changed in two minutes, now the Sioux can sweep Denver?

• Upvote 1

So basically you were determining everything on what the outcome of the game was, not how they were playing. So because the outcome changed in two minutes, now the Sioux can sweep Denver?

No, I hope we can sweep Denver because I can't stand the Pios, especially their dasher-dancing troll of a head coach. I hope the team gets a bounce from winning in dramatic fashion on the road in a place they have historically struggled. Whether it happens or not is anyone's guess. This team has tons of upside; what they need now is consistency.

What a great comment, that flaw of judgement happens a ton on here.....

The bottom line is the win-loss column. When the WCHA playoff pairings are announced, it won't matter if your team was "competitive in losses". When they hand out NCAA bids in March, they don't give a rip about "how the teams were playing during their losses". The more this team wins before Christmas, the better. These second-half runs are exciting, but they don't leave enough gas in the tank come tournament time.

And with Denver coming to town next weekend, four straight losses is a good bet. :sad:

That's my point. This sure doesn't sound like "hope" just a short time earlier. It's not like the Sioux were playing like crap and all of a sudden caught fire.

The bottom line is the win-loss column. When the WCHA playoff pairings are announced, it won't matter if your team was "competitive in losses". When they hand out NCAA bids in March, they don't give a rip about "how the teams were playing during their losses". The more this team wins before Christmas, the better. These second-half runs are exciting, but they don't leave enough gas in the tank come tournament time.

Exactly...and I'll go even further in that Natty would be nice at some point as well.

This team played a great weekend of hockey, but was still 13 seconds from going home with a donut. Hockey is a simple game of putting the puck in the net and keeping it out of your own net...doesn't matter how a team played, carried the play or dominated if you continue to give up more than you score.

• Upvote 1

couldn't agree more. however, seems like the majoirty around here feel a second half run is a given(including the SID who runs the chat during the games). the only squad under hakstol that seesm to have avoided the first half slump for the most part was the 10-11 squad. this years team seemed to have built for a run like that as well but so far has fallen into mediocrity like other teams in the first half. I say they split with DU, then sweep Tech next weekend for a 10-6-2 first half and sitting somehwere in the top 10 of the PWR. I', not sure this years second half schedule gives us the leeway for huge run. holy cross,cc,minn,scsu,uw, omaha,denver in that order before we get bemidji and msum at the end of the year. I see a lot of splits in there. sure would have been nice to have gotten another two three wins in the first half.

I will say this and maybe I am wrong but it sure seems like more emphasis is put on winning the Final Five versus the big one at the end. it was 2010 and hak made the reference that they could have held back a little in their three day run and 6 games in 9 day stretch to maybe have a little gas left going into the regional but they decided it was important for the fans and the program to go for the win at the final five.

• Upvote 1

couldn't agree more. however, seems like the majoirty around here feel a second half run is a given(including the SID who runs the chat during the games). the only squad under hakstol that seesm to have avoided the first half slump for the most part was the 10-11 squad. this years team seemed to have built for a run like that as well but so far has fallen into mediocrity like other teams in the first half. I say they split with DU, then sweep Tech next weekend for a 10-6-2 first half and sitting somehwere in the top 10 of the PWR. I', not sure this years second half schedule gives us the leeway for huge run. holy cross,cc,minn,scsu,uw, omaha,denver in that order before we get bemidji and msum at the end of the year. I see a lot of splits in there. sure would have been nice to have gotten another two three wins in the first half.

I will say this and maybe I am wrong but it sure seems like more emphasis is put on winning the Final Five versus the big one at the end. it was 2010 and hak made the reference that they could have held back a little in their three day run and 6 games in 9 day stretch to maybe have a little gas left going into the regional but they decided it was important for the fans and the program to go for the win at the final five.

You go to the Final Five to win. You go into the NCAA tournament to win. Do you think a bunch of D1 athletes want to go into a tournament, no matter what it is, and not come home with the championship? Not a chance.

• Upvote 1

When your team is competitive with losses and the time of year is Nov, yeah it does matter! That would tell me that losses are about to turn into wins.