SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

maybe the coach should have identified different leaders. Or maybe the other team was better coached? Sometimes hall of fame for coaches is as much about longevity as it is about winning.

The coach can't pull leaders out of his ass. Sometimes guys develope into them while some others are natural born leaders and always have been. My point is that a coach can coach buy he can't play. There is no substitute for on field leadership from a teammate. Coach Bohl seemed to have no control when he had a locker room without any good leadership and now he looks like a genius thanks to players like Olson and Jensen. Without guys like that standards drop and so does the performance. An average coach can look really good thanks to the players and also can look like a chump thanks to the players.

The coach can't pull leaders out of his ass. Sometimes guys develope into them while some others are natural born leaders and always have been. My point is that a coach can coach buy he can't play. There is no substitute for on field leadership from a teammate. Coach Bohl seemed to have no control when he had a locker room without any good leadership and now he looks like a genius thanks to players like Olson and Jensen. Without guys like that standards drop and so does the performance. An average coach can look really good thanks to the players and also can look like a chump thanks to the players.

high school is different than college. in high school, you gotta play with the hand that's dealt to you. in college, the coach gets to choose who he wants to recruit.

Sorry, geaux, i really respect what you post and your dedication to the football team, but as long as Mussman is the head coach, UND has an uphill fight. He just has not shown that he has the cojones you need to take the Sioux to the next level.

• Upvote 4

Sorry, geaux, i really respect what you post and your dedication to the football team, but as long as Mussman is the head coach, UND has an uphill fight. He just has not shown that he has the cojones you need to take the Sioux to the next level.

This^^^^^^^^^

+1

• Upvote 1

So what in your mind would show he has there cajones you speak of other than cutting a very talented lb and starting safety or suspending players for missing a class?

high school is different than college. in high school, you gotta play with the hand that's dealt to you. in college, the coach gets to choose who he wants to recruit.

Recruiting is an inexact science to say the least. Kids can look like a sure fire great kid and turn out to be cancers off the field. Look at ndsu Bohl did well with players that weren't his. Then they weren't very good and he adjusted to right the ship and look at them now. Mussman inherited a huge mess and is just now recruiting on a somewhat fair level with everyone else and the ship is getting back on the right track. When Mollbergs class are juniors the team will be a complete reflection of mussman and how well he chose young men to represent und. It's on the brink of being great.

So what in your mind would show he has there cajones you speak of other than cutting a very talented lb and starting safety or suspending players for missing a class?

well besides benching Mackey, how about sending in Zeb Miller for the last second field goal at Northern Colorado? How about getting in the officials' faces when Northern Colorado had 12 men on the field for that last play? (if your answer to this one is that he didn't realize there were twelve Bears, my response is that, as the coach, its his responsibility to be aware of things like that and if he wasn't then thats just another example of poor coaching) How about showing some passion and fire, either on the sidelines or in the press conferences?

I believe Hendrickson proved he was the right kind of leader when he was given the chance, maybe he should have been put back on the field when the Sioux started sputtering the second half of the season.

I do not pretend to know the team as well as you do (you have provided some outstanding analysis of the season on another thread), but I think great coaching is the reason a team like Alabama continues to win under Lou Saban. Jim Harbaugh turned the 49ers around. Sean Peyton not being on the sidelines has had a tremendous negative impact on the Saints. I admit I am only a Monday morning quarterback, but Phil Jackson was able to win in Chicago and in LA when he took over, but neither team has won since he left them. Coaching makes a tremendous difference in teams that win championships.

I sincerely hope you are right about Mussman turning things around, because having the kind of talent that Mollberg, Golladay and others bring and not winning and competing for Big Sky championships and making a run at the national playoffs because of coaching will be very disappointing for those players and us fans.

• Upvote 1

Recruiting is an inexact science to say the least. Kids can look like a sure fire great kid and turn out to be cancers off the field. Look at ndsu Bohl did well with players that weren't his. Then they weren't very good and he adjusted to right the ship and look at them now. Mussman inherited a huge mess and is just now recruiting on a somewhat fair level with everyone else and the ship is getting back on the right track. When Mollbergs class are juniors the team will be a complete reflection of mussman and how well he chose young men to represent und. It's on the brink of being great.

Didn't the last of Lennon's recruits graduate last year? Yes, there is the transition excuse, but IIRC this year was a reflection of mussman.

Didn't the last of Lennon's recruits graduate last year? Yes, there is the transition excuse, but IIRC this year was a reflection of mussman.

While this may be true, one can never truly underestimate the effect of having the nickname issue hanging over the heads of the coaching staff. We've had a couple good classes since the acceptance to the Big Sky, but they could've been better if not for the nickname issue. I'm somewhat indifferent of Mussman right now - still not sure if he's the one to lead us - but he has been fighting an uphill battle on the recruiting front and now has a full deck to work with.

• Upvote 3

As it relates to the playoffs, it was a pretty exciting weekend of football. My parents are herre visiting, and I told my dad when it was 35-0 that it would probably be 35-21 or 35-28 at some point before SHSU puts it away. That appears to be how EWU rolls. Should be a really good championship game, although I think in the end it will be an NDSU victory.

If this game was to be played this week I'd pick Sam. They are rolling and the AC is more vulnerable defensively than I've seen them all year-very beaten up. Giving the AC until Jan 5 to heal and game plan for this tips the scale for me. Plus, this will be a home game for the AC.

The Title Game will come down to how the O performs. The D is always dominating and SHSU will not have anything like the offensive fest of yesterday. But, the Bison O will have to score points.

If Jensen throws for his usual pedestrian 80-90 yards SHSU will win. He has to at some point in that game make some plays in the passing game.

When you take over a team you kind of have to play the hand that is dealt you, in nussmans case it was no ace no face other than the freshman.

As far as the FCS playoffs, which this thread pertains to, I believe NDSU should be the favorite no matter who plays them. EWU and NDSU would rightfully be the best matchup, and I can't say either one winning would be a bad scenario for UND. If EWU wins, the Big Sky gets recognition. If NDSU wins, North Dakota gets put on the map (again) as a football state. Considering those two outcomes, it’s tough not to go for the state I have lived in my entire life and just hope NDSU's success translates to UND's future success with future recruits.

Any talk that UND fans should jump on the FU bandwagon should stop right now. When we won the 2001 D-II title, how many NDSU fans jumped on the bandwagon? I say very few; their favorite teams in the playoffs were Winona State, Pittsburg State, UC-Davis and Grand Valley State. You still have some Bison boosters saying we won that title "by accident" and "it shouldn't have even happened" and all this other garbage. So FU will not get one ounce of support from me.....ever! I grew up with the I-29 wars in multiple sports and my feelings about FU will never change. :devil:

Especially with the crap that comes out of the media down there whenever they have a team worth talking about. One of the Kolpack boys wrote an article on Saturday comparing Brock Jensen to Joe Montana. :silly: That's like saying that Adam Houser is just like Patrick Roy because he started on Minnesota's 2002 national title team. The truth is, Minnesota won that title despite having Hauser in goal. The Bison are winning despite having Jensen at QB. Jensen is basically responsible for the Bison having one loss instead of zero. If he lays another egg in the title game, he'll be responsible for the Bison having two losses.

Of course, if SHSU just runs the QB up the middle 95% of the time like they did last year, it won't matter. :crazy:

Any talk that UND fans should jump on the FU bandwagon should stop right now. When we won the 2001 D-II title, how many NDSU fans jumped on the bandwagon? I say very few; their favorite teams in the playoffs were Winona State, Pittsburg State, UC-Davis and Grand Valley State. You still have some Bison boosters saying we won that title "by accident" and "it shouldn't have even happened" and all this other garbage. So FU will not get one ounce of support from me.....ever! I grew up with the I-29 wars in multiple sports and my feelings about FU will never change. :devil:

Especially with the crap that comes out of the media down there whenever they have a team worth talking about. One of the Kolpack boys wrote an article on Saturday comparing Brock Jensen to Joe Montana. :silly: That's like saying that Adam Houser is just like Patrick Roy because he started on Minnesota's 2002 national title team. The truth is, Minnesota won that title despite having Hauser in goal. The Bison are winning despite having Jensen at QB. Jensen is basically responsible for the Bison having one loss instead of zero. If he lays another egg in the title game, he'll be responsible for the Bison having two losses.

Of course, if SHSU just runs the QB up the middle 95% of the time like they did last year, it won't matter. :crazy:

2nd team all Conference - apparently most of the coaches in the MVFC disagree with you. Love how you guys love to trash Jensen as if that makes up for your team. There's more to a qb that throwing the ball for 300 yards every game. Leadership and knowing how to win come to mind.

2nd team all Conference - apparently most of the coaches in the MVFC disagree with you. Love how you guys love to trash Jensen as if that makes up for your team. There's more to a qb that throwing the ball for 300 yards every game. Leadership and knowing how to win come to mind.

So throwing two pick-6's in one game, leading directly to a loss, is "leadership" and "knowing how to win"? Okay, whatever you want to tell yourself. Being 2nd team all-conference in a crappy offensive league like the MVFC is nothing to jump up and down about. The next thing you'll tell us is that Terry Bradshaw was the key to the Steelers winning 4 titles in 6 years in the 1970's. :silly:

And my comment had nothing to do with my own team, which needs a lot of changes to be competitive. It has to do with my dislike for media hyperbole. I cannot picture Wayne Nelson of the Heraldo making the type of comment that Kolpack did on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

All very good points but even with all our/UND's flaws IMO he wouldn't have started a game this year at UND. Hanson was the real deal and Marcus overall skill set is even better. SU's O would far better off with either of those two at the trigger. And as I have heard Wentz might by the guy next year. SU wins inspite of him.

Even my die hard SU buddies call him Jensen Ponder!

• Upvote 2

If Jensen throws for his usual pedestrian 80-90 yards SHSU will win. He has to at some point in that game make some plays in the passing game.

I completely disagree with the first statement. The Bison can win if he throws for under 100. If he keeps the ball out of SHSU's hands, I like NDSU's chances regardless of yardage. Nothing has been pretty since the confeerence games started, that's not their style but it's successful. The past 3 weeks they have faced 3 of the best rushing teams in the nation and given up a total of 3 TDs. I'm not convinced SHSU will be able to move the ball like GSU or even Wofford for that matter, who failed to score a TD on offense as well.

2nd team all Conference - apparently most of the coaches in the MVFC disagree with you. Love how you guys love to trash Jensen as if that makes up for your team. There's more to a qb that throwing the ball for 300 yards every game. Leadership and knowing how to HAND THE BALL OFF come to mind.

Fixed your post

• Upvote 1

I completely disagree with the first statement. The Bison can win if he throws for under 100. If he keeps the ball out of SHSU's hands, I like NDSU's chances regardless of yardage. Nothing has been pretty since the confeerence games started, that's not their style but it's successful. The past 3 weeks they have faced 3 of the best rushing teams in the nation and given up a total of 3 TDs. I'm not convinced SHSU will be able to move the ball like GSU or even Wofford for that matter, who failed to score a TD on offense as well.

Still think he'll have to make a couple big throws but SU's D is ridiculously nasty. Beck and Olson are flat out ballers especially when you look at the last 2 weeks and them being asked to stick their helmets up in there 60+ times a game. Those 2 look to dole it out every play!

So throwing two pick-6's in one game, leading directly to a loss, is "leadership" and "knowing how to win"? Okay, whatever you want to tell yourself. Being 2nd team all-conference in a crappy offensive league like the MVFC is nothing to jump up and down about. The next thing you'll tell us is that Terry Bradshaw was the key to the Steelers winning 4 titles in 6 years in the 1970's. :silly:

And my comment had nothing to do with my own team, which needs a lot of changes to be competitive. It has to do with my dislike for media hyperbole. I cannot picture Wayne Nelson of the Heraldo making the type of comment that Kolpack did on Saturday.

Sure you can say he cost the team that game but he has helped win other games. The team isn't wining in spite of him, he is making plays and winning games. He is more like Tebow than Ponder at this point.