SiouxSports.com Forum

Can someone please explain hockey to hammer?

Frozen4sioux

I don't know if a "hockey for dummy's" book would help, maybe go to a few midget practices, rent a video anything but it appears in every way that he has no idea what he is seeing.

My biggest frustration is that everytime a puck leaves a stick in the offensive zone he thinks it's a shot.

The concept of passing, chipping in dump and chase all seem lost to him.

IT IS NOT A "SHOT ......WELL WIDE".....

Dan. Open.your. eyes........its a pass to the winger crashing the net.

And very five minutes a mention of Fargo hockey....or football

YOU'RE NOT IN FARGO.....

And every time I hear "Kuuuuber". I just imagine punting his head clean out of his headset.

He also needs to look up "natural Hat trick."

Exactly!

Does anyone know if the Hennessy radio broadcast is in synch with the Midco tv video? I'm thinking I will give that a try tonight. Nothing against Kober (and that's what people who know him call him), but he must feel embarrassed when Dan displays his lack of hockey knowledge and vocabulary. I think Kober really doesn't want to correct him on the air, but maybe there should be some enlightenment sessions Dan could have with him or any other knowledgeable hockey person.

Keep a lookout on how he uses "one-timer." I can't remember his exact use, but there were two times last weekend when he didn't seem to have a clue.

At the same time, he was OK last night, all in all. I liked Sweeney, but if the change had been the other way around, there would be pushback too. I've never listened to Hennessey while watching the video stream. Is there a lag that makes that impractical?

I always start with Tim H on the pregame show.

Most times I can sync up the TH audio with the video within a 1/2 second using the dvr.

With the new Midco feed sometimes after breaks I have to resync because feeds change.

Also sometimes the Midco feed is slower then the audio & then I give up till the next break.

Can someone inform Hammer this is hockey not football. They have periods not quarters. Also your calling a North Dakota game as a North Dakota anouncer not a Boston anouncer. I could care less about Boston players and there Coach do North Dakota stuff. As for Midcontinent Play the National Anthem on TV and get of the crappy bad singing that god awefull poor excuse of a song. We aren't the gophers and don't need crappy music or crappy interviews bothering the couches between periods.

Can someone inform Hammer this is hockey not football. They have periods not quarters. Also your calling a North Dakota game as a North Dakota anouncer not a Boston anouncer. I could care less about Boston players and there Coach do North Dakota stuff. As for Midcontinent Play the National Anthem on TV and get rid of the crappy band singing that god awefull poor excuse of a song. We aren't the gophers and don't need crappy music or crappy interviews bothering the coaches between periods.

• Upvote 1

Finally had to put Hammer and Koberinski on mute. It's absolutely brutal listening to them. Only thing the midco crew has going for them is Katie Hale. Hammer doesn't know hockey. Let him do football and let's get someone who does know hockey. Sweeney, Hennessy(sp?) p Anyone with hockey knowledge would probably be better.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if a "hockey for dummy's" book would help, maybe go to a few midget practices, rent a video anything but it appears in every way that he has no idea what he is seeing.

My biggest frustration is that everytime a puck leaves a stick in the offensive zone he thinks it's a shot.

The concept of passing, chipping in dump and chase all seem lost to him.

IT IS NOT A "SHOT ......WELL WIDE".....

Dan. Open.your. eyes........its a pass to the winger crashing the net.

And very five minutes a mention of Fargo hockey....or football

YOU'RE NOT IN FARGO.....

And every time I hear "Kuuuuber". I just imagine punting his head clean out of his headset.

It's funny you bring up the shot when it's a pass. I was watching Wisconsin and their play by play man has been working a long time and when a cross ice pass was made he said it was a backhanded shot.

I haven't been paying super close attention to this fact that bothers you and don't know if Hammer is right with the play, but for most play by play it's a quick decision to say pass or shot. I'm going to let this slide until more experience is gained.

Now the "Kober" thing does bug me...

I don't mind Hammer as a play-by-play guy, but I'm not knowledgable about hockey myself. To a casual hockey fan like me, I haven't noticed much difference between him and Sweeney.

However, I also quickly grow tired about how he constantly refers to Koberinski as "Kober", coach Mussman as "Muss", and coach Hakstol as "Hak". I know these guys are all often referred to by these names and that's fine, but I honestly can't remember the last time I've heard him address Koberinski or Mussman by their actual names.....................

However, I also quickly grow tired about how he constantly refers to Koberinski as "Kober", coach Mussman as "Muss", and coach Hakstol as "Hak". I know these guys are all often referred to by these names and that's fine, but I honestly can't remember the last time I've heard him address Koberinski or Mussman by their actual names.....................

Its like PA doing Vikes game with calling the players by their 1st name because he thinks its "cool"

"Christain gets the snap"

"Handoff to Adrian"

"Percy with a fumble"

Its like PA doing Vikes game with calling the players by their 1st name because he thinks its "cool"

"Christain gets the snap"

"Handoff to Adrian"

"Percy with a fumble"

Ugh, and if I hear "Highlight Hardin" one more time I'm going to punch something.....