SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

I didnt realize we were only talking the last ten years but that would include 2 NCAA Titles for Minnesota so explain how UND with zero in that same time frame should be ranked higher.

See my previous posts...they have also been up and down for the past 10 years...but yes you are correct, they did have those back to back ones.

Yes.

Now we need to put an end to it and regain the top spot.

AMEN! It is coming up on 12 years since our last NCAA title. While Boston College collects trophies, we collect bridesmaid dresses and I am sick and tired of it. Like it or not (and I sure as heck don't like it), we have become "Runner-Up U" in NCAA Division I Hockey. That is not a position befitting a program with the tradition and prestige of University of North Dakota hockey. The quote in my sig says it all: "Greatness at North Dakota is measured in national championships" by former player and coach Cary Eades. We can send all the players we want to the NHL, we can win all the conference regular season and post-season titles we want, but the longer we go without winning "the big one", the more prestige and leverage we will lose as a program.

With our newly-minted Division I programs struggling to gain traction, it is important that men's hockey regain the initiative right now. And I do think this year's team has the potential to pull it off. Cross your fingers everyone.

AMEN! It is coming up on 12 years since our last NCAA title. While Boston College collects trophies, we collect bridesmaid dresses and I am sick and tired of it. Like it or not (and I sure as heck don't like it), we have become "Runner-Up U" in NCAA Division I Hockey. That is not a position befitting a program with the tradition and prestige of University of North Dakota hockey. The quote in my sig says it all: "Greatness at North Dakota is measured in national championships" by former player and coach Cary Eades. We can send all the players we want to the NHL, we can win all the conference regular season and post-season titles we want, but the longer we go without winning "the big one", the more prestige and leverage we will lose as a program.

With our newly-minted Division I programs struggling to gain traction, it is important that men's hockey regain the initiative right now. And I do think this year's team has the potential to pull it off. Cross your fingers everyone.

better watch it some on here might get on you for putting an emphasis on winning nat titles and that it is too hard to do that.

• Upvote 1

better watch it some on here might get on you for putting an emphasis on winning nat titles and that it is too hard to do that.

I fully expect that to happen and, to be honest, I don't care if they do or not. I don't think calling it as you see it is the same as being a "bad fan" or a "negative nelly" and whatever else I've been called over the years. I bleed Green and White. I have season tickets, hit the road for regular season and playoff games and will always be a fan of this team. But that doesn't mean I won't point out things that I think should be fixed. The bottom line is, nobody remembers who finished second or third or whatever. All they remember is who finished King of the Mountain. And it's high time we get back there.

• Upvote 1

Seasons 02'-03' to 11'-12' (10 Years)

1) Boston College

Overall Record: 264-105-37 (.696 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 21-6 (.778 Win %) (Pretty sick if you ask me)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 9 (03',04',05',06',07',08',10',11',12')

National Championships: 3 (08',10',12')

National Runner-Ups: 1 (07')

Frozen Four Appearances: 6 (04',06',07',08',10',12')

Conference Championships: 5 (03',04',05',11',12')

Conference Tournament Championships: 6 (05',07',08',10',11',12')

2) Michigan

Overall Record: 276-121-27 (.683 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 10-10 (.500 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 10 (03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12')

National Championships: 0

National Runner-Ups: 1 (11')

Frozen Four Appearances: 3 (03',08',11')

Conference Championships: 4 (04',05',08',11')

Conference Tournament Championships: 4 (03',05',08',10')

*Could've been a tie at number 2, but Michigan has equal tourney appearances, a higher overall win %, and more conference championships. UND has 3 more NCAA tourney wins and 2 more frozen fours.

3) North Dakota

Overall Record: 269-126-38 (.665 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 13-10 (.565 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 10 (03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12')

National Runner-Ups: 1 (05')

Frozen Four Appearances: 5 (05',06',07',08',11')

Conference Championships: 3 (04',09',11')

Conference Tournament Championships: 4 (06',10',11',12')

4) Denver

Overall Record: 248-127-39 (.646 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 9-5 (.643 Win%)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 7 (04',05',08',09',10',11',12')

National Championships: 2 (04',05')

National Runner-Ups: 0

Frozen Four Appearances: 2 (04',05')

Conference Championships: 1 (10')

Conference Tournament Championships: 2 (05',08')

*Again tight race between 4 and 5, but Denver gets the nod for higher overall win % and one more national title.

5) Minnesota

Overall Record: 239-133-46 (.627 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 10-6 (.625 Win%)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 7 (03',04',05',06',07',08',12')

National Championships: 1 (03')

Frozen Four Appearances: 3 (03',05',12')

Conference Championships: 3 (06',07',12')

Conference Tournament Championships: 3 (03',04',07')

6) Miami

Overall Record: 241-126-41 (.641 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 7-8 (.467 Win%)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 8 (04',06',07',08',09',10',11',12')

National Runner-Ups: 1 (09')

Frozen Four Appearances: 2 (09',10')

Conference Championships: 2 (06',10')

Conference Tournament Championships: 1 (11')

7) Boston University

Overall Record: 220-132-49 (.610 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 6-5 (.545 Win%)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 6 (03',05',06',07',09',12')

National Championships: 1 (09')

Frozen Four Appearances: 1 (09')

Conference Championships: 2 (06',09')

Conference Tournament Championships: 2 (06',09')

8) Wisconsin

Overall Record: 201-156-44 (.556 Win %)

NCAA Tournament Record: 9-4 (.692 Win%)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 5 (04',05',06',08',10')

National Championships: 1 (06')

National Runner-Ups: 1 (10')

Frozen Four Appearances: 2 (06',10')

Conference Championships: 0

Conference Tournament Championships: 0

Umd loses to a bad Maine team 1-0 ...in Florida, hell only Arizona, new mexico, texas and Hawaii could be worse places to hold a college hockey tourney. My god. Come on.

Scsu beats rpi 2-1

Many more wcha teams in action sat/sun including a ritual BC punding of a top WCHA team

BC 6 umtc 2

That's a great straw man that you've set up for yourself to rail against. I'm sure there are a TON of UND fans that don't care about winning national titles. :silly:

The real thing I would watch out for is people like you that crap on any accomplishment that isn't an NCAA tournament title. Sometimes, I'm afraid to mention anything positive about UND hockey's accomplishments, so who needs to watch out for whom?

In fact, I think I was the only person that even made a case for UND as the best program in the country and brought up the positives about our program. Most people are probably afraid to even mention it because you and fightingsioux4life will jump on them, because "It's not a NATIONAL TITLE :crazy: !!!1"

Now, what were you saying about all these imaginary people that don't care about winning national titles?

Umd loses to a bad Maine team 1-0 ...in Florida, hell only Arizona, new mexico, texas and Hawaii could be worse places to hold a college hockey tourney. My god. Come on.

Scsu beats rpi 2-1

Many more wcha teams in action sat/sun including a ritual BC punding of a top WCHA team

BC 6 umtc 2

I am looking forward to UND playing in that tourney next year! Of course my brother lives there. Nice arena, Fun area to visit.....If the dominos start to fall and more teams start making the jump to D1 hockey look for Florida Gulf Coast University to explore the option. They recently transitioned to D1 and their sports are doing well. They explored football and decided not to do it for now. They have very strong club hockey programs and draw pretty well......the ECHL team that plays at that arena draws pretty well and won the Title last year.

Scsu beats rpi 2-1

BC 6 umtc 2

I don't know if AZ would be so bad. Easy access by air from around the country. Good arena, though it is on the wrong side of town. Plenty of great hotels in the Valley. Easy for us to drive across town for the games. Also the Valley knows how to host college athletic events, they host two bowl games and expect 10s of thousands of people for the Fiesta Bowl Parade today. Downfall is lack of hotels by Jobbing Arena so maybe have it downtown instead at the Sun's arena, which is even a shorter drive for us.

I lived in Arizona for 19 years, went to many coyotes games and worked for them. If they are winning it works, and that's still a stretch. I want college hockey to keep growing but holding tourneys in Florida and or other non hockey markets if you will doesn't do much good. Yeah it's great for the few fans that will make that trek or live there but lets be real here. College hockey has its own issues even selling out 4,000 seat venues for regionals in hockey markets. Especially frozen 4's, keep those out of the mentioned states above please

Lack of hotels for a college hockey tourney in December won't be a problem. One hotel could cover all teams and traveling fans. Fiesta bowl draws hundred thousand people if they could and a college hockey game in dec maybe a thousand or two if lucky and that's including locals.

I lived in Arizona for 19 years, went to many coyotes games and worked for them. If they are winning it works, and that's still a stretch. I want college hockey to keep growing but holding tourneys in Florida and or other non hockey markets if you will doesn't do much good. Yeah it's great for the few fans that will make that trek or live there but lets be real here. College hockey has its own issues even selling out 4,000 seat venues for regionals in hockey markets.

I think you raise an excellent point here. In a way, it makes me want to say "to heck" with traditional markets and "why not" try to introduce the game to non traditional markets? I mean, if you can't sell regional tourney games that actually mean something in so-called "hockey markets," why not play some mid season non-con games in warm, non traditional markets? What does college hockey really stand to lose?

I think you raise an excellent point here. In a way, it makes me want to say "to heck" with traditional markets and "why not" try to introduce the game to non traditional markets? I mean, if you can't sell regional tourney games that actually mean something in so-called "hockey markets," why not play some mid season non-con games in warm, non traditional markets? What does college hockey really stand to lose?

I need an excuse to go somewhere warm! Hockey game is a legit reason. :)

And I do agree there isn't anything to lose. That's a valid point. Guess im spoiled ad hate seeing games on tv ect when you see keep more empty seats than filled. That's all :)

That's a great straw man that you've set up for yourself to rail against. I'm sure there are a TON of UND fans that don't care about winning national titles. :silly:

The real thing I would watch out for is people like you that crap on any accomplishment that isn't an NCAA tournament title. Sometimes, I'm afraid to mention anything positive about UND hockey's accomplishments, so who needs to watch out for whom?

In fact, I think I was the only person that even made a case for UND as the best program in the country and brought up the positives about our program. Most people are probably afraid to even mention it because you and fightingsioux4life will jump on them, because "It's not a NATIONAL TITLE :crazy: !!!1"

Now, what were you saying about all these imaginary people that don't care about winning national titles?

Don't worry....he must be a gopher fan right?

Oh, that again? Why do you care so much about what I think that you brought it up out of nowhere? Because it's true.

You should've waited a couple of weeks to respond like you did last time. That way you would at least have time to formulate a coherent and relevant response to my post.

A few scores from the weekend thus far:

-SCSU splits with RPI (4-3 RPI Thurs, 2-1 SCSU Fri)

-MSU beats Brown 3-1

-UNO loses to Quinnipiac 5-4 (game 2 is Sunday)

-UMD loses to Maine 1-0 Fri. and to Ferris State 6-2 today

Tonight:

-Michigan Tech vs. Michigan

-Minnesota vs. Air Force

-Denver vs. Boston University

Oh, that again? Why do you care so much about what I think that you brought it up out of nowhere? Because it's true.

You should've waited a couple of weeks to respond like you did last time. That way you would at least have time to formulate a coherent and relevant response to my post.

Messy.

Messy.

bth_popcorn.gif