SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 6 EWU

geaux_sioux

Simple Perspective: If we lose this game, we have to win out to make playoffs. That in its self makes this game very important. If last week wasn't a must-win, this week is...well...yeah...

Every game is a must win. Even if we don't make the playoffs this team has showed a lot of promise and excitement. Even a 7-4 record is commendable.

Simple Perspective: If we lose this game, we have to win out to make playoffs. That in its self makes this game very important. If last week wasn't a must-win, this week is...well...yeah...

Simple perspective: UNA and the Griz will both run for 250+ on us with our D playing the run as it is. Those are 2 home games that are far from a lock. And we have to go play the Cats. Tough to gauge our chance in any game left if UND doesn't clean up defensively.

Simple perspective: UNA and the Griz will both run for 250+ on us with our D playing the run as it is. Those are 2 home games that are far from a lock. And we have to go play the Cats. Tough to gauge our chance in any game left if UND doesn't clean up defensively.

Yep, yep, yep and especially yep.

Here is a link to the EWU message board. http://www.bigskyfans.com/eagles/viewforum.php?f=2 One of our own, Geaux_Sioux got the UND Game thread going over there. Some of their fans are nervous about this game/matchup...seems to be a recurring theme among our new BSC peers. If our defense ever decides to show up this year and play similar to how they did last year, I feel we could make a good run at the playoffs. Unfortunately the defense has shown anything but so far. Anyone hearing any info on Braden Hanson. I would like our chances alot better if he were able to play.

Here is a link to the EWU message board. http://www.bigskyfan...ewforum.php?f=2 One of our own, Geaux_Sioux got the UND Game thread going over there. Some of their fans are nervous about this game/matchup...seems to be a recurring theme among our new BSC peers. If our defense ever decides to show up this year and play similar to how they did last year, I feel we could make a good run at the playoffs. Unfortunately the defense has shown anything but so far. Anyone hearing any info on Braden Hanson. I would like our chances alot better if he were able to play.

Mussman was on the radio this morning and mentioned Hanson. He said that Braden is slowly improving, but he was still limping and had some pain while jogging last week. The week before it hurt to plant. Mussman is hoping that things have improved more this week.

Curious, Who is the fastest tailback on this years squad?

Have we seen forty times?

whoever is the fastest starts---miller

whoever is the 2nd fastest is backup---garmen

whoever is the 3rd fastest is third string---sparks

sutton is toooooooo sloooooooooow...he doesn't scare anyone is this league

meserioux is the sofest/weakest link on defense....he needs to sit and j-butler needs to get on the field---NOW

meserioux is the sofest/weakest link on defense....he needs to sit and j-butler needs to get on the field---NOW

Sutton is the only back that is big, every teams needs that. I do think they should give Sparks more of a shot but I don't see that happening. I'm not so sure that Garmin is second fastest by the way.

In terms of being scary, who would you rather meet in the hole 220lb Sutton or 170lb Jake Miller?

Mersereau has always been soft, I've suggested that he'd make a good corner but that will never happen. I'm not sure that Butler is ready scheme wise to play alot yet, he will prove to be a force in his career though. The dude is a beast and has alot of room on his frame to get around 220.

The impacts players for UND need to make plays. They were in position last week and it didn't happen for whatever reason. They need to clean it up:

Over thrown balls down field

Drop passes

Missed blocks - just wow in this department.

Missed INT

Missed tackles - we are talking about unblocked LBs missing the RB so bad they would not be down in a game of two hand touch.

I'm afraid your criteria are a bit off - speed is certainly not everything. Sutton is our most accomplished back this season; much more than Miller and Garman. With that said, our RB corps is not to Big Sky standards. We don't have a back that can create if the blocking is not there. Miller, as last week and Portland State demonstrated, is just too small and hesitative if the blocking is not there. Garmin also is of the too small category. I think some major recruits and transfers (FBS and JUCO) need to be acquired this offseason. Just look at some the backs in this conference: Zach Bauman, DJ Adams, EWU's and MSU's stable of backs, etc. Now, do our backs compare to any of those? Absolutely not. In addition to defense, we need to improve the athletic talent at RB.

I do agree with your assessment on Mersereau; he can't play the run like Dominique Hawkins and Justin Belotti were able to last year. An underlooked aspect of our running defense this season has been our safeties; we are missing our safeties from last year as far as getting good run support.

I'm afraid your criteria are a bit off - speed is certainly not everything. Sutton is our most accomplished back this season; much more than Miller and Garman. With that said, our RB corps is not to Big Sky standards. We don't have a back that can create if the blocking is not there. Miller, as last week and Portland State demonstrated, is just too small and hesitative if the blocking is not there. Garmin also is of the too small category. I think some major recruits and transfers (FBS and JUCO) need to be acquired this offseason. Just look at some the backs in this conference: Zach Bauman, DJ Adams, EWU's and MSU's stable of backs, etc. Now, do our backs compare to any of those? Absolutely not. In addition to defense, we need to improve the athletic talent at RB.

I do agree with your assessment on Mersereau; he can't play the run like Dominique Hawkins and Justin Belotti were able to last year. An underlooked aspect of our running defense this season has been our safeties; we are missing our safeties from last year as far as getting good run support.

i should have prefaced my rb breakdown by saying that if we don't have one rb that sticks out as the best go with the fastest one because that guy could take a simple screen pass and take it to the house (unlike sutton who turns slowly upfield and his tackled by a the first defender that comes across his line of sight) and change the score, field postion, or momentum of the game....my guess is that sparks is probably our best all around running back and he doesn't even see the field

i should have prefaced my rb breakdown by saying that if we don't have one rb that sticks out as the best go with the fastest one because that guy could take a simple screen pass and take it to the house (unlike sutton who turns slowly upfield and his tackled by a the first defender that comes across his line of sight) and change the score, field postion, or momentum of the game....my g uess is that sparks is probably our best all around running back and he doesn't even see the field

The thing about Sparks is we don't know how good he is since he hasn't played in a legitimate game as a rb yet

Something I just realized about the safety play is that Bj fifita would be staring right now had he not left..... He was great in the run game and was an enforcer over the middle... Hopefully Javen can get it together and be ready to go sooner than later

I know Kennedy has had some time back there but what about Will Lewis? I like these guys compared to Mersereau.

If our defense shows up EWU 24 UND 17 if not EWU 52 UND 28. UND needs to establish the run and stop EWU's passing game.

If UND holds us to 24 points, EWU will lose. EWU is banged up at LB, hopefully we get one or two back this week. We lost our starting FS for the season with a broken collar bone against the Griz, but fortunately we have a very talented RS freshman in Tonani who stepped in and made 8 tackles. The key to the game will be getting TDs instead of FGs on every drive, because both teams will move the ball and score plenty.

EWU 38, UND 30

If UND holds us to 24 points, EWU will lose. EWU is banged up at LB, hopefully we get one or two back this week. We lost our starting FS for the season with a broken collar bone against the Griz, but fortunately we have a very talented RS freshman in Tonani who stepped in and made 8 tackles. The key to the game will be getting TDs instead of FGs on every drive, because both teams will move the ball and score plenty.

EWU 38, UND 30

UND is not holding EWU to 24. No way in hell.

I would say your score prediction is about right, should be a shootout.

only 3 pages about the biggest game of the year!!!! c'mon guys

what does UND have to do to slow down EWU?

Do you think the red turf will have any affect at all?

I hope to find it somewhere on tv, hope its easier on the eyes than watching boise, but i doubt it