SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Polls

PhillySioux

Here's the new coaches' poll: http://www.wlfi.com/...s-Poll_79274419

Seems pretty hard to justify Montana over Northern Arizona. ???

Agreed, I know polls are based on an entire body of work, but in that same vein, how in the hell can a coach justify putting a 1-2 SHSU above a 3-1 Central Arkansas team that just beat them.

I swear some coaches don't even look at who is winning these games. That's crap.

Agreed, I know polls are based on an entire body of work, but in that same vein, how in the hell can a coach justify putting a 1-2 SHSU above a 3-1 Central Arkansas team that just beat them.

I swear some coaches don't even look at who is winning these games. That's crap.

This poll doesn't have anything to do with the post-season does it? I'm under the impression that the Sports Network rankings are all that matter. If I'm wrong please correct me.

I have nothing against Northern Iowa but their only win is against a D2 school. Granted they played some upper level teams. It was just seem that a team would need to have at least one win against an FCS team to be ranked. There are a lot of strange rankings in the Coaches poll. The bottom line is we need to keep winning and it will take care of itself.

I have nothing against Northern Iowa but their only win is against a D2 school. Granted they played some upper level teams. It was just seem that a team would need to have at least one win against an FCS team to be ranked. There are a lot of strange rankings in the Coaches poll. The bottom line is we need to keep winning and it will take care of itself.

You are right, winning will take care of itself. But in regards to UNI, I thought moral victories don't count? We have been told many times by fans of other teams (cough, cough) that moral victories don't count in polls. For example, our near miss at Fresno last year shouldn't have gotten us in because those were NDSU votes. ;)

All I am saying is that it is funny that we got grilled for it and now certain fans have nothing to say about 1-3 UNI at #13 in the sports network poll...

That one is a total mystery. Their only FCS game is a loss. Sure, it's against Youngtown State who's ranked 3rd in the nation but it's still a loss. As for the losses to Wisconsin and Iowa. Yeah, those were both close games but I thought that wasn't supposed to matter. Besides the Wisconsin game was only close on the scoreboard. Wisconsin owned that game from beginning to end and Wisconsin is looking worse then I've seen them in 20 years. Iowa just plan sucks this year so that game should carry no weight.

I realize this will mostly work itself out over the next few weeks as more games are played but rankings this early do matter since wins over higher ranked teams mean more than wins over lower ranked or unranked teams.

Look at it this way. UNI plays NDSU next weekend. Based on the logic used to put them at #14 there's no reason they should fall in the rankings if they lose to NDSU. That means they'd be 1-4 and ranked #14?! If UND beats Poly I'd say the best we can hope for is #23 with a 4-1 record. The following week UNI plays Southern Illinois. If S.Illinois wins that game and UND loses to E.Washington does that mean S.Illinois will leapfrog UND? Based on the current logic used to rank these teams it appears that would happen.

• Upvote 1

This poll doesn't have anything to do with the post-season does it? I'm under the impression that the Sports Network rankings are all that matter. If I'm wrong please correct me.

The selection uses the GPI (Gridiron Power Index) in it's selection, although it is not the only determining factor. The GPI uses the FCS coaches' poll and the sports network poll, as well as 7 computer rankings.

pretty surprised UND didn't enter the top 25 this week.

That one is a total mystery. Their only FCS game is a loss. Sure, it's against Youngtown State who's ranked 3rd in the nation but it's still a loss. As for the losses to Wisconsin and Iowa. Yeah, those were both close games but I thought that wasn't supposed to matter. Besides the Wisconsin game was only close on the scoreboard. Wisconsin owned that game from beginning to end and Wisconsin is looking worse then I've seen them in 20 years. Iowa just plan sucks this year so that game should carry no weight.

I realize this will mostly work itself out over the next few weeks as more games are played but rankings this early do matter since wins over higher ranked teams mean more than wins over lower ranked or unranked teams.

Look at it this way. UNI plays NDSU next weekend. Based on the logic used to put them at #14 there's no reason they should fall in the rankings if they lose to NDSU. That means they'd be 1-4 and ranked #14?! If UND beats Poly I'd say the best we can hope for is #23 with a 4-1 record. The following week UNI plays Southern Illinois. If S.Illinois wins that game and UND loses to E.Washington does that mean S.Illinois will leapfrog UND? Based on the current logic used to rank these teams it appears that would happen.

i don't expect UNI to drop much after losing to NDSU. If they lose to SIU they will not be ranked, or receive votes. UNI is getting a lot of leeway to lose games that they should lose and were expected to lose, because they were supposed to lose those games. UNI has done exactly what was expected of a top10 team facing their schedule.

On the other hand UND had gotten thrashed by idaho, won ugly against drake, and lost to a fresno state team that was so bad last year their renowned, likely future hall-of-famer coach got canned. Not exactly parallel scenarios.

i don't expect UNI to drop much after losing to NDSU. If they lose to SIU they will not be ranked, or receive votes. UNI is getting a lot of leeway to lose games that they should lose and were expected to lose, because they were supposed to lose those games. UNI has done exactly what was expected of a top10 team facing their schedule.

Sounds like 3 moral victories to me. Between here and AGS there are alot of explanations that equate exactly to the definition of a moral victory. Good job UNI - you lost just like you were supposed to, lets keep you in the Top 10! (even though your season is done).

• Upvote 1

Sounds like 3 moral victories to me. Between here and AGS there are alot of explanations that equate exactly to the definition of a moral victory. Good job UNI - you lost just like you were supposed to, lets keep you in the Top 10! (even though your season is done).

There is a difference between a fanbase taking pride in a "moral victory" and pollsters taking into account strength of schedule when determining where a team should be ranked.

So strength of schedule doesn't play into a discussion about playoffs, or rankings? It's interesting that to be a playoff counter that they must be a D-I team if strength of schedule doesn't play into the playoff committee's decision.

Moral victories don't count, I never said they did. But let's not pretend 1-3 equals 1-3 regardless of who you play in the minds of the poll voters.

Also, why so defensive man? I never said anything about UND.

Would you be more impressed with a 4-0 UND team who played USF, Drake, SD Mines and PVAM. Or a 2-2 team, with one of those victories against San Diego State?

UND's next five games are flat out a total meat grinder. I saw the Griz play...like most teams they have issues, but they are more than solid. If UND wins the 3 home games at a minimum, I think they are easily at top 20 team at 6-3 after 9 weeks.

We are talking about 2012, not past seasons. We are 3-1 and we won the games we were supposed to up to this point.

I have a problem with a 1-3 team in the top 15.

So who have they played: Youngstown is a great team this year. Wisconsin is average, not the Wisconsin of recent years. Iowa is bad and there is no way to spin that. Wasn't their win against a d2 team?

I do think UNI is a decent team, but not a top 15 team by any stretch, at least right now. Also, defensive is the wrong word. I believe the word I would use is annoyed because you are on a UND site spewing MVFC rhetoric.

We are talking about 2012, not past seasons. We are 3-1 and we won the games we were supposed to up to this point.

I have a problem with a 1-3 team in the top 15.

So who have they played: Youngstown is a great team this year. Wisconsin is average, not the Wisconsin of recent years. Iowa is bad and there is no way to spin that. Wasn't their win against a d2 team?

I do think UNI is a decent team, but not a top 15 team by any stretch, at least right now. Also, defensive is the wrong word. I believe the word I would use is annoyed because you are on a UND site spewing MVFC rhetoric.

What rhetoric? I am speaking in generalities. I too don't think UNI should be ranked in the top 15, top 25 still, but probably not top 15. All I have said is SOS needs to be a consideration when ranking teams and come playoff time. Anything else that you concluded from my posts in simply you projecting your own preconceived notions onto them.

For the record, I would argue the same thing for any other team who had run the gammut that UNI has these past 3 weeks.

Also, let's not do the thing where we pretend that since they are a poor FBS team that it isn't a quality game or a quality win if you pull off the win. As UND fans can attest to, regardless of how "good" an FBS team is, it is quite the accomplishment to win those games.