SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

And I have no problem with them reaping the consequences of their actions.I don't think the punishments seem out of line. I don't think they made good sound choices for sure. I just think they were not extraordinary in their wrongness. And I don't think it means they are a bankrupt group of young men who are teetering on the edge of failed lives. Do dumb risky stuff and pay the price it happens.

You are where I was over the weekend and monday. I think a lot of folks are just concerned with the risks. Look, none of us were there, so we don't know exactly what went down. The team (players that is) sanctioned a night of very heavy boozing. If no 911 call, then none of this plays out beyond a practice from hell, but once it becomes that public, it has to be addressed- it has been,and everyone will move on. Hopefully the better for it.

You know.....Before this all came out I was anxious to hear the fine details. Now that we have a detail by detail report I wish I hadn't.

with you on that...I am probably most concerned that the team didn't look out for them either...your team is supposed to be your family, and yes, you initiate the new boys, but you don't wash your hands of them if they are way, way drunk.

• Upvote 2

Why was Faison called?

I can't tell you I'm 100% positive about this, but I suspect it has to do with the concept of in loco parentis.

Faison works directly for the campus executive and as such has a higher level of university authority and responsibility than any coach or faculty member, and assumably may act as "the university" when "in loco parentis" situations arise. In a similar situation with a non-athlete I speculate that UPD would call Lori Reesor (see same link).

Im glad everyone is ok and im not trying to sound insensitive but is there going to be enough players for the Alaska games?

Its gonna be close, for the game against UAA we will only have 17 eligible skaters, for the UAF game we will have 18. Any injuries between now and then and Tate Maris is lining up at center.

I think one of the big differences is, when someone you were with (or you, yourself) were puking and passing out drunk- so was everyone else you were around. I have to think that if I had come across myself or some of my friends after an extraordinary drunk evening while I was stone sober, I would've probably been concerned too. Generally we put a bucket by them and tossed a coat or some blankets on them and passed out ourselves.

I stand by some of my earlier comments in that you can't always protect people from themselves, but I think the RA did the right thing. I also think that the message has been sent and received.

If the kids are doing some of the things I've been enlightened about- eye shots, tampons soaked in booze- that needs to be corrected. If they are doing 20 shots- that needs to be corrected. If at the freshmen party they encourage them to shotgun a six pack of beer- well, can't condone it, but that is where I was with the boys will be boys thinking.

TAMPONS SOAKED IN BOOZE???? What??? I don't even think I want to know.

I read through the article and obviously we don't know any more than what was reported, and that's fine. But it does state Chyzyk was unresponsive and had puke on his shirt. Granted, it doesn't say when he threw up, but if he had thrown up while unconscious that is extremely dangerous. The RA showed good judgement. Sometimes it's too easy to think, oh, he'll sleep it off, just roll him on his side, etc. I certainly hope that someone was already planning on staying and keeping an eye on the guys, even if they didn't think it was worth calling 911.

• Upvote 1

TAMPONS SOAKED IN BOOZE? ??? What??? I don't even think I want to know.

I read through the article and obviously we don't know any more than what was reported, and that's fine. But it does state Chyzyk was unresponsive and had puke on his shirt. Granted, it doesn't say when he threw up, but if he had thrown up while unconscious that is extremely dangerous. The RA showed good judgement. Sometimes it's too easy to think, oh, he'll sleep it off, just roll him on his side, etc. I certainly hope that someone was already planning on staying and keeping an eye on the guys, even if they didn't think it was worth calling 911.

Always scary to see people vomitting and not responding well.

TAMPONS SOAKED IN BOOZE? ??? What??? I don't even think I want to know.

Yup- apparently they are trying to find the fastest way to get the the highest alcohol content into your bloodstream- so just bypass the stomach and everything your body has built to protect it from too much alcohol.

Yes, as John Bonham and the drummer prior to Peter James Bond in "Spinal Tap" can't attest to- drunken vomit aspiration is a big deal

It's no longer about getting a buzz.

Today it seems it's all about the fastest path to obliteration and there's no way that can be good for anyone.

The following links are not for the faint of heart.

http://www.dailymail...quick-buzz.html

http://www.huffingto..._n_1092594.html

And now to the University of Tennessee where a person hit a blood alcohol level 5x the limit to drive. How? Don't ask ...

http://www.huffingto..._hp_ref=college

I'm not saying any of that ill-advised non-sense happened here. I'm trying to show the older-than-college-aged folks that the attitudes toward consumption have vastly changed since "back in your day", and not for the better or safer.

Yup- apparently they are trying to find the fastest way to get the the highest alcohol content into your bloodstream- so just bypass the stomach and everything your body has built to protect it from too much alcohol.

Yes, as John Bonham and the drummer prior to Peter James Bond in "Spinal Tap" can't attest to- drunken vomit aspiration is a big deal

Heard a story on "Bob 'n Tom" this morning about college students bonging box wine up their a$$es for the same effect. And some of the same results related to alcohol poisoning.

As for our guys, getting your newbies in deep and then leaving them on their own when they were obviously in trouble ... that's really disgraceful.

• Upvote 1

As for our guys, getting your newbies in deep and then leaving them on their own when they were obviously in trouble ... that's really disgraceful.

Agree...leaves some questions as to the leadership and character within the locker room to start the year. Would have expected more from the likes of Mac, Knight and Rowney. Unacceptable to leave teammates to basically fend for themselves in those conditions.

Forbort was quoted as saying it was a party that just got out of hand...not a valid excuse IMO.

i just graduated and i can tell you that i had more than my fair share of adult beverages.. just to calm everyone down, never once have i have seen anyone bonging alcohol through the wrong hole, taking eyeball shots, and I can't say for sure but i never saw tampons being passed around. So I don't think that kind of stuff really went down there...

i just graduated and i can tell you that i had more than my fair share of adult beverages.. just to calm everyone down, never once have i have seen anyone bonging alcohol through the wrong hole, taking eyeball shots, and I can't say for sure but i never saw tampons being passed around. So I don't think that kind of stuff really went down there...

Those things may not have happened at the hockey party. But the attitude toward alcohol has changed. When most of us were younger we drank to have fun and to party. We didn't have a goal of getting bombed and passing out. The fact that they were so drunk they passed out at 8 PM, and the fact that their teammates left them to pass out, are both at least a little disturbing.

UT student 'livid' at 'erroneous' alcohol enema report..

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/sep/25/dad-disputes-erroneous-information-released-by/

Alcohol ‘enema’ sends student to ER; fraternity chapter suspended...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/sep/24/ut-fraternity-suspended-over-graphic-alcohol/?partner=popular

Knoxville paper many days is like reading the National Enquire for the whacky things that go on there.

Those things may not have happened at the hockey party. But the attitude toward alcohol has changed. When most of us were younger we drank to have fun and to party. We didn't have a goal of getting bombed and passing out. The fact that they were so drunk they passed out at 8 PM, and the fact that their teammates left them to pass out, are both at least a little disturbing.

... and it doesn't help that parts of our society condone this and even take advantage of it by throwing "blackout" parties to make a buck. That might even be more disturbing because they are mature adults with an understanding of the consequences of that type of behavior. True, that doesn't happen around here, and hopefully being proactive against any kind of that behavior by the administration and other responsible adults, we never have to witness it in this area. Maybe that is wishful thinking, what with the attitude of some that if they do it in New York, it must be cool.

Doesn't the NCAA take a serious disliking to hazing incidents? By Faison getting out in front of this and and doing all the things he has done will this keep the NCAA at bay or not? Could that be the real motive behind what has happened so far?

From the Herald article:

Forbort also told her “it wasn’t an initiation party but a party that had gotten a little out of hand,” (UPD Officer) Sevigny said.