SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

How do you not see this as a big deal? This isn't just about partying, if it was it wouldn't have gotten as much attention as it did. This is about some student-athelets drinking way to much alcohol, which led to alcohol posioning. To me it is a big deal, so you can try and spin it with your stupid ABCDE questionaire but to some people this is a big deal.

I could be a jerk and comment about "stupid" as it relates to spelling and the proper usage of too vs to, but I won't.

Whoever feels this whole situation isn't disappointing to the program and university at a minimum is not only a homer looking thru kelly green glasses, but an idiot.

Remember people, this is UND we are talking about...not the AC to the south. We pride ourselves in doing things the right way at our university and taking accountablity and responsibility when we don't.

Being an institution that enables we are not!

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why 'public figures' aren't entitled to privacy.

Because they receive all the accolades, praise, glorification and worship when they do well (and rightly so.) Look, I can be the biggest homer in the world when it comes to UND sports, viewing things with an optimistic glass-half-full perception. But I also possess the ability to step back and see embarrassing (to the program) situations for what they are.

In our culture, in North Dakota, drinking abuses are often worn as a badge of honor and are treated as high school and/or college rights of passage. I know: I've been there, done that. I understand the culture because I lived it. I had three "minors" (one minor in consumption; one minor in possession and one minor on the premises) between the ages of 17 and 20. In my hometown, police citations, no matter how big or small, were printed daily in the local newspaper. And in all cases when I received a minor, I was forced to bear the embarrassment of my parents, teachers, school and self.

I am sure had I been affiliated with a program growing up that was as much in the public eye as UND hockey, or lauded for my skills and glorified for my heroics as much as our great hockey program and players enjoy, my photo would have been in the paper, too, along with a shameful write-up about me and my citations for minors.

We would be hardly above the hypocritical fray if we washed people with praises when they did good but then turned a blind eye to or tried to justify actions for apparent negative behaviors.

I won't even get into how this all juxtaposes with UND administration's desire to no longer be recognized as a "drinking school" or a supposed national leader in binge drinking among its students.

With great success comes great responsibility.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't, that's the sign you are losing the argument when all you have is to critique someone's spelling!

I actually thought the name calling was the first sign of losing an argument. My spelling and grammar critiques were in response to the name calling.

Everyone needs to stop getting bent out of shape and start focusing on hockey.

I actually thought the name calling was the first sign of losing an argument. My spelling and grammar critiques were in response to the name calling.

Everyone needs to stop getting bent out of shape and start focusing on hockey.

Agreed. This horse has been beaten, brought back to life, and beaten again. People have their opinions of what happened, which is why we all come to the board to get it off our chests (or get away from the wives) :lol: .

I'd rather be talking about the goaltending situation, or defensive pairings, or powerplay units. I'd rather get into arguments over that. ;)

I don't condon underage drinking or excessive alcohol drinking for anyone. We, the fans, aren't entitled to any explanations. Speculating about poisoning is just that...speculation. The coaches took control of the situation and acted accordingly. The student-athletes have accepted their punishment and are moving forward. So should we.

I don't condon underage drinking or excessive alcohol drinking for anyone. We, the fans, aren't entitled to any explanations. Speculating about poisoning is just that...speculation. The coaches took control of the situation and acted accordingly. The student-athletes have accepted their punishment and are moving forward. So should we.

Yes we are entitled to an explanation. They have no right being in the public milleu gaining the benefits and then getting to hide behind the secrecy curtain when it suits them. They had control of the situation before hand and the kids still went off the board. Makes me wonder how much control Hak had before and even has now?
  • Upvote 1

Yes we are entitled to an explanation. They have no right being in the public milleu gaining the benefits and then getting to hide behind the secrecy curtain when it suits them. They had control of the situation before hand and the kids still went off the board. Makes me wonder how much control Hak had before and even has now?

Blais would never have tolerated this crap. He was a strong disciplinarian and wouldn't have let things deteriorate to this point. Once the camel's nose is under the tent, it is almost impossible to keep him out. Blais understood that; it is time Hakstol figures it out as well.

And the notion that the fan base has no business even talking about this is total crap. If someone is charged with a crime, it is public record material. It is not a "strictly private matter". You cannot be a part of a public enterprise like UND hockey and then turn around and say that whatever happens to players on the team is "None of the public's business". It just doesn't work that way and I think these players had better get used to that.

• Upvote 1

Blais would never have tolerated this crap. He was a strong disciplinarian and wouldn't have let things deteriorate to this point. Once the camel's nose is under the tent, it is almost impossible to keep him out. Blais understood that; it is time Hakstol figures it out as well.

And the notion that the fan base has no business even talking about this is total crap. If someone is charged with a crime, it is public record material. It is not a "strictly private matter". You cannot be a part of a public enterprise like UND hockey and then turn around and say that whatever happens to players on the team is "None of the public's business". It just doesn't work that way and I think these players had better get used to that.

The hockey season has offically started.....The first Blais would have never has been spoken!
  • Upvote 1

There was plenty of crap happening behind those closed 'hockey walls' during the Blais 'era', the Gasperini 'era', et al. It just wasn't thrown out as public fodder to the extent it is today. They kept their dirty laundry at home and didn't make it public information just because fans felt entitled to the information. Any 'crimes' you think happened will be made public; anything thing else has been taken care of and no one else is entitled to more information than that. The fan base is talking about this, not one has closed this thread. People talking about alcohol poisoning without facts is irresponsible.

• Upvote 1

Plenty of heavy drinking under the Blais and Gaspirini eras. Especially in the off-season- which is what right now is. Was too young to know under Gino, but was first hand and 21 in the summer of 97. To think that this is any different than anything that happens at any other school is crazy. To think it is any different than anything that happened any other year is also crazy. I was also first hand with friends of mine who played for UND, UMD and for Minnesota. These were all great guys with strong commitments to the team, each other, and their hockey futures; they are guys that I would trust with my sister, and they liked to cut loose with the sauce on Saturday nights after the game and multiple nights of the week during the offseason- just like any other college kid.

I want to be clear that I am fine with the punishments- As much as I tout boys will be boys, I also understand not letting the inmates run the asylum. I posted somewhere that this whole "journey" might be the exact team building aspect that we need.

I am not cool with grandstanding, making examples of, speculating, getting on ridiculously prideful high horses, or making irrational statements or positions regarding UND's "standing in the world"- remember these are young men, not trying to hurt anybody...

BU is different, because of the sexual assaults- that is something entirely different.

• Upvote 2

This hockey party has been happening since at least 1984.

This hockey party has been happening since the first Canadian laced 'em up for the Fighting SIoux in 1929!! And, according to rumor. they were all at least 25 years old, semi-pros, didn't attend classes, and wore hats made of gopher skins with coats lined with Badger fur.......

• Upvote 1

There was plenty of crap happening behind those closed 'hockey walls' during the Blais 'era', the Gasperini 'era', et al. It just wasn't thrown out as public fodder to the extent it is today. They kept their dirty laundry at home and didn't make it public information just because fans felt entitled to the information. Any 'crimes' you think happened will be made public; anything thing else has been taken care of and no one else is entitled to more information than that. The fan base is talking about this, not one has closed this thread. People talking about alcohol poisoning without facts is irresponsible.

This crap went on during Blais time but there was no internet or message boards during his time, that is why it wasn't well known. The difference between Blais's time and Hakstol's time is, Blais brought home 2 NCAA championships and Hakstol has not. With the teams and players Hakstol has had there is no reason he shouldn't have a few more banners hanging at the REA. You tie in all of these "screw ups" by these players, people are going to start wondering what the heck is going on in that locker room. I'm not saying they should fire Hakstol (he is a fine coach) but I, along with a lot of people who PAY their hard earned money to watch them play, would like to know why this crap is a reoccuring theme year in and year out?

So their are 60+ pages of "speculation" about how bad NDSU's football program is but god forbid we talk about our hockey program and how they screwed up big time?

Well, I for one have no idea about the NDSU football team issue. They are not on my radar, I don't live in the area, and I don't follow "class B" football conferences and teams.

Plenty of heavy drinking under the Blais and Gaspirini eras. Especially in the off-season- which is what right now is. Was too young to know under Gino, but was first hand and 21 in the summer of 97. To think that this is any different than anything that happens at any other school is crazy. To think it is any different than anything that happened any other year is also crazy. I was also first hand with friends of mine who played for UND, UMD and for Minnesota. These were all great guys with strong commitments to the team, each other, and their hockey futures; they are guys that I would trust with my sister, and they liked to cut loose with the sauce on Saturday nights after the game and multiple nights of the week during the offseason- just like any other college kid.

I want to be clear that I am fine with the punishments- As much as I tout boys will be boys, I also understand not letting the inmates run the asylum. I posted somewhere that this whole "journey" might be the exact team building aspect that we need.

I am not cool with grandstanding, making examples of, speculating, getting on ridiculously prideful high horses, or making irrational statements or positions regarding UND's "standing in the world"- remember these are young men, not trying to hurt anybody...

BU is different, because of the sexual assaults- that is something entirely different.

Having a "team party" where they make the freshmen drink more alcohol than one can handle isn't hurting anyone?

• Upvote 1