SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

That was suggested on one of the many threads where this has been discussed today. But that would be a supposition at this point rather than a conclusion. You are operating with a very limited amount of information. Here's another supposition. The team has already had 2 minors during the first couple of weeks of school. Perhaps Hakstol warned the team about alcohol incidents after that and then the team goes out and has a big party. Maybe Hakstol and Faison decided to get the team's attention by suspending the captains, the players that are supposed to be the most responsible on the team, hoping that there wouldn't be any more incidents during the year. I don't know if that's what happened, but it makes as much sense as any other theory thrown out today.

The team captains should be and are held to a higher standard! Good for Hak in issuing the suspensions. 'SU has no standards......

• Upvote 1

Hazing incident was confirmed by Kristo. It was reported by one of the Montreal Canadiens' media people on Twitter.

That's too bad. But I was just pointing out that with the information you originally posted you were saying that it was an obvious conclusion to reach just because the captains were involved, when in fact if wasn't that obvious.

Good for Hak for enforcing his team rules. Hazing has been a problem at many levels of sports and it really should go away.

Hazing incident was confirmed by Kristo. It was reported by one of the Montreal Canadiens' media people on Twitter.

This is a whole new ball of wax. The NC$$ has come down extremely harsh on the whole hazing topic.....this could get worse before it gets any better.

I don't even know what to say...I am thrashing about, moving from hazing is part of sports to frustration with the nanny state of everything. Anybody ever seen Youngblood? Being hazed is part of getting accepted by the team. The ritual aspect of it goes way back to some of the most ancient peoples and cultures' rights of passage of being accepted by the tribe.

Whatever happened to dealing with things by yourself?

I know that Hak and Faison have to act a certain way or risk lawyers getting involved...what is happening to the world that I grew up in and love??

I don't even know what to say...I am thrashing about, moving from hazing is part of sports to frustration with the nanny state of everything. Anybody ever seen Youngblood? Being hazed is part of getting accepted by the team. The ritual aspect of it goes way back to some of the most ancient peoples and cultures' rights of passage of being accepted by the tribe.

I know that Hak and Faison have to act a certain way or risk lawyers getting involved...what is happening to the world that I grew up in and love??

What's happening is that kids have died because of hazing. A lot of the time it starts as something that everyone believes is harmless and then gets out of control. That isn't worth the right of passage. Alcohol usually contributes to the problem. Here is a link to someone that tracks hazing incidents, http://hazing.hanknuwer.com/hazingmain.html. He got interested in the subject because a football player died in a hazing incident at the University of Nevada in 1975 while he was a student at the school.

Every team does it. Doesn't make it right, but at the same time you're right. When Faison mentioned the whole possibility of law enforcement getting involved....crap..... ???

loud party is a class-b misdemeanor, which according to this board is grounds for getting kicked off the team, as well as the death penalty.

Nope, just suspended for a game, which is what is happening. Most schools across the country take care of issues themselves. Others...I mean another decide its more convenient to go to court.

This is exactly my problem with the world- how many out of how many? You don't manage for outliers. There will always be individually tragic outcomes associated with virtually anything. This is the nanny state. If you walk and eat at the same time you might choke. It happens to 0.01% of the population, therefore, I will outlaw walking and eating and will punish you if I catch you walking and eating. It just baffles me how people go through life (not targeted at you 82) worrying about everybody else and focusing on the minutia.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!!

As I said in my first post, most likely the rookie party being only Captains were suspended. Initiating players to a team happens at all levels of sports and its part of being on a team. It's what bring the players together. When it gets out of control people can get hurt, but I highly doubt that they we're beating each other as what happens with some of these band members down in Florida. Most likely lots of drinking going on with some other sort of shennanigans. Oh well, its just a game for now and hopefully that is all.

• Upvote 1

This is a whole new ball of wax. The NC$$ has come down extremely harsh on the whole hazing topic.....this could get worse before it gets any better.

With the NCAA's extreme dislike for the yapping Yorkie it is much better to get out in front than to hang back. UND's responce should easily keep the rabid pitbull away.
  • Upvote 1

Although the particulars don't appear to be the same, things did not end well for Vermont in their hazing scandal a decade ago.

Unless more information emerges it looks like there are major difference. Latullipe met with coaches ahead the the "Big Night", he sued the university, and as far as that goes recanted some of his story. Also I can tell you that Vermont ain't ND when it comes to culture; not on campus and not in the community. Not sure it's a fair comparison.

This is exactly my problem with the world- how many out of how many? You don't manage for outliers. There will always be individually tragic outcomes associated with virtually anything. This is the nanny state. If you walk and eat at the same time you might choke. It happens to 0.01% of the population, therefore, I will outlaw walking and eating and will punish you if I catch you walking and eating. It just baffles me how people go through life (not targeted at you 82) worrying about everybody else and focusing on the minutia.

I couldn't have said it better if I had tried to a hundred times.....

Having had time to mull this situation over for a day, part of me applauds Faison for taking some action as to discourage this type of behavior again but part of me feels there might have been a little grandstanding/soapbox at work to set himself apart from GT, which IMO isn't to hard to do.

I'm conflicted to some extent as Faison doesn't seem to be the type to pat himself on the back, but this just leaves a little less than desirable taste in my mouth for some reason.

• Upvote 3

Having had time to mull this situation over for a day, part of me applauds Faison for taking some action as to discourage this type of behavior again but part of me feels there might have been a little grandstanding/soapbox at work to set himself apart from GT, which IMO isn't to hard to do.

I'm conflicted to some extent as Faison doesn't seem to be the type to pat himself on the back, but this just leaves a little less than desirable taste in my mouth for some reason.

You are not the only one who feels this way.

I've been told by a few people about what happened and after thinking it over, I am now on Faison and Haks side 100%. I am one of those people who do not condone what happen and I wish these players would've used their heads a little more. With that I do know the Captains are the ones taking the heat, they are not necessarily the ones who caused the problems but they didn't do anything to prevent it. I hope this is a huge wake up call for these players and they learn from it.

• Upvote 1

Why do you crack down on the hard partying?

Oh ... I don't know, maybe because bad things can happen.

Ask Connor Reilly:

Reilly tore the anterior cruciate ligament his right knee in an off-ice fall Saturday at a team party, according to two sources close to the situation.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/170534726.html