SiouxSports.com Forum

QB Controversy?

bincitysioux

I don't think there is one. I don't think there is any way that Mussman can sit Hendrickson down at this point.

I agree. Marcus has 10 TD's in last 8 quarters and he just tore thru a FBS team for 400+ last night. He deserves to start next week.

But we dealing with Muss so who knows...

When Hanson is healthy he will play, period. Marcus did fantastic but Hanson is just better, no other way to put it. It's really hard to say that because I've been a big fan of hendricksons and thought he shouldve played last year.

Based on his former FBS status? His 2 quarters of play vs. a transition D2 school? I didn't see the Mines game and not saying he isn't better but how does one bench Marcus?

The question is if Hanson starts to stumble when do you pull him for Hendrickson. That is the million dollar question. I saw it in Miami when Marino stumbled it took quite a bit for them to sit him on the bench. I would hate to be in Muss's position two good qb's and 1 spot.

At this point there isn't one, Hendrickson is throwing it accurately on the short and long passes, is spreading it out beautifully, and can also create offense with his feet. He has been with the program for 5 years now and has turned this UND offense into a thing of beauty. I will be pissed if he doesn't start next week. That being said, my only regret is that he didn't show this 3 or 4 years ago, it would be fun to enjoy this for more than 1 year. He is just the real deal and I couldn't be happier for him!

Hanson fumbled the ball twice if I recall off of handoffs. Has hendrickson? I say stick with what is working

Hanson with the fumbles and Hendrickson has only 1 pick which was early in the SDSU game (pick six). I say let Hendrickson play against Sac State then see how Hanson does at home with Cal Poly and evaluate.

If many of you like Muss for his conservative, smart, playing the percentages approach in his decision making...starting Hanson doesn't fly then.

I don't care what he does in practice, it's what matters on the field. Marcus has shown in 2 full games what he is capable of, and I'm not sure most of us have seen this type of quarterback play at UND ever. Hanson looked good in 1 half, but there is no way that an argument can even be logically made at this point. How can someone be flat out better than what Marcus is doing on the field?

It will all work itself out in practice. The better quarterback will get the playing time, the other is the most important player on the sidelines. Isn't it great that we have two quality quarterbacks getting quality educations at UND? Seems like we were facing the same issue last year and it ended with a conference championship lead by the back-up quarterback. Nice to know we have depth in so many positions.

The unanswerable question is where would Joey Bradley have fit into this equation - my opinion is he made the right decision to move on - just didn't do it in as classy a fashion as he could have.

Hendrickson completed 54% of his passes, that is far from the virtuoso performance that people are claiming he had last night. He did torch them and make plays with his legs but could've been better. There are obviously alot of things that go into the game and he was very good last night, just not great. 70% completion would have won us the game and been a legendary performance. He went through a dry spell last night, which we couldn't afford with that embarrassment they call a defense out there.

When Hanson is healthy he will start. He proved he was better in camp and he will show all of you whenever he gets to play next. If you think the offense is great with Marcus just wait until you see the version with Hanson and his ability to read defenses.

It will all work itself out in practice. The better quarterback will get the playing time, the other is the most important player on the sidelines. Isn't it great that we have two quality quarterbacks getting quality educations at UND? Seems like we were facing the same issue last year and it ended with a conference championship lead by the back-up quarterback. Nice to know we have depth in so many positions.

The unanswerable question is where would Joey Bradley have fit into this equation - my opinion is he made the right decision to move on - just didn't do it in as classy a fashion as he could have.

I thought he should've been 3rd string last year. He held our team back like crazy with his 94 yard passing performances and noodle arm.

• Upvote 1

It will all work itself out in practice. The better quarterback will get the playing time, the other is the most important player on the sidelines. Isn't it great that we have two quality quarterbacks getting quality educations at UND? Seems like we were facing the same issue last year and it ended with a conference championship lead by the back-up quarterback.

"We're talking bout practice, man...practice...we're talking bout practice."

If Muss comes out and says he based his decision who starts this week on "practice" I will definitely know he is in way over his head.

• Upvote 1

IMO Hanson is no question the better overall QB. That's why he won the starting job and Marcus would have been 3rd string if Bradley hadn't left before camp. There are reasons for that.

Marcus has played very well.....above and beyond what I thought he was capable of and I am both happy and proud of him. Kid has been very resilient through his college career. Marcus also brings the athleticism to the field when the pocket breaks down.

Just think, some of us thought we were totally finished if Hanson got hurt this year - I was wrong. If nothing else, we have 2 very good QBs right now.

Congrats Marcus. You have made me a believer. Great job.

"We're talking bout practice, man...practice...we're talking bout practice."

If Muss comes out and says he based his decision who starts this week on "practice" I will definitely know he is in way over his head.

Hakstol bases almost all of his decisions about who gets playing time on how they perform in practice and no one seems to have a problem with it. You just don't like Mussman.

It is hard to know for sure based on what we saw against Mines. But Hanson looked better than Hendrickson during that game. Hanson seemed to be in total control. The only pass he didn't complete was a ball he threw away on purpose. They had 2 botched snaps, but no one sitting in the stands can know for sure whether the problem was the center, the QB or both. And most people don't support a player losing a starting position just because they get hurt. My guess is that Hanson will get the start when he is healthy. They may hold him out an extra week to make sure he is healthy. And Hendrickson will get more playing time now than he would have before. But I'm pretty sure that Hanson will be starting again soon.

....................... That's why he won the starting job and Marcus would have been 3rd string if Bradley hadn't left before camp. There are reasons for that.

Do we know that? Given how Hendrickson has played this season, do you think Bradley worried he may have been the 3rd stringer and that's why he left?

I don't think there is a controversy. Hansen throws the ball at a different level and should be the starter. Hendrickson has been impressive and exceeded all expectations, but he's not as accurate (64% against PSU and 54% against SDSU). That being said, I think Hendrickson gets more plays than your average backup due to his athleticism, it adds a dimension that I'm not sure Hansen has.

• Upvote 1

Seems to me based on the experts and those in the know around here Hanson starts this week if healthy and put "W" in the column for our BS opener. If he is that much better than what Marcus has given us the last two games next week's game shoukd be a formality?!?!?

I saw stick with Hendrickson next week at Sac State. If Hanson is at 80% and Hendrickson is at 100%, start Marcus. Know if Hendrickson had struggled the last two game, there would be a real push for Hanson to make the start, but right now there is no need to rush him. I do think that Marcus has done a great job filling in. Way beyond a lot of peoples expectations. But Hanson is the starter and he shouldn't have to earn his starting spot back just because he was injured. So as for now, stick with Marcus cause he is doing just fine and has a great chance to win next week. Give Bradon that extra week off and get him ready hopefully for the the Cal Poly game.

• Upvote 1

The one thing that I need to see from Hanson is the escapability that Hendrickson has, or being able to get off the ball and avoid the sack. He did a good job of side-stepping the rush of the Mines defense, but that is a far cry from what he will face in the Big Sky. Not saying he won't have that ability, just wondering if Hendrickson doesn't have an edge there. I think even if Hanson starts, it wouldn't be bad to throw Hendrickson in there every once in a while to give the defense another look and have to respect his running ability. I see Hanson as more of a one-dimensional QB, which is fine if he stays as accurate as he was in the Mines game. Like someone said, good problem to have, and even better to have both of them so Joe Mollberg can redshirt and take over next year in what could be an even more explosive offense.