SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

For once in your life you actually made a relevant point. The fact that Randy Moss still has a job proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that character is not a high priority in the NFL (or at NDSU either, apparently, based on what went down this past week).

Still waiting for you to make one

I live in Fargo.

So do I nremember that's when I met you. I go to the lake on the weekend though. Gotta take the pontoon and the jet ski out this weekend. You kept coming up with excuses as to why you cant meet meet (after you challenged me) Tomorrow night at Labbys over a beer. I'll have my TJ Oshie hat on

You go to the lake 52 weekends every year? If you ever decide to go slumming by staying in Fargo for the weekend I'd be happy to buy you a beer on a Friday or Saturday night if you want to come out to Rick's, the Garage Bar, or wherever a good band is playing classic/hard rock. You let me me know which weekend and I'll let you know where I'll be.

I said this weekend. When did I say every weekend? I (as you say) slum in Fago quite often. I guess if you cant stay up past nine on a week night we just won't be able to meet up for your tough guy meeting, I'm not wasting a weekend on you. You challenged me i responded with two diiferent places/times so its in your court. I do like Ricks for lunch though.

Coach Bohl answered that question in his press conference very candidly. He said he had known about the pending charges for "a couple of weeks". It would have been very easy for him to "take the easy way out" and suspend the guys for a meaningless game and it would have been done. For whatever reason he has decided not to, or someone has decided not to suspend the players and I would assume they have been punished within the team. To say that NDSU only cares about winning and rules be damned is not an accurate description of the scenario(you may not have said this, but others have) because they could have punished the players without having to sacrifice a win.

I'm telling you that the average person on the street doesn't pay attention to every detail. They didn't listen to the press conference. Many of them don't care if they have been punished within the team. The average person on the street knows that a bunch of NDSU players committed a crime. They know that NDSU is treating the crime like it isn't a big deal even though it is a serious crime. They know that the players were not suspended, even though NDSU has suspended a lot of other players for equal or lesser crimes. They heard about the crimes, and the fact that NDSU wasn't going to suspend them on the same day, so they assume that NDSU heard about it that day. The PERCEPTION is that NDSU was didn't want to lose the players because they were playing a higher division team and that NDSU cares more about winning football games than doing what is right. The average person on the street in North Dakota are ultimately the people that own NDSU, and if they get upset enough they may demand that something is done. This isn't the type of story that North Dakota residents like seeing on ESPN and other national media.

I guess if the NDSU administration doesn't take fraud seriously, it would be smart for the state of North Dakota to take a stand in the punishment of these players, as once a precedent is set that this is a nothing crime for football players, how can you prosecute somebody else in the future more harshly for doing the same thing? Wouldn't it be ironic if trying to defend the victimized players, Gene Taylor actually caused them to be punished more strongly by the state to show that there are consequences to criminal behavior, even if you are a star football player.

How can Bresciani allow the word "fraud" to be associated with his institution in any manner without responding beyond a statement that he doesn't get involved in intra-department matters.

Would Breciani be a passive observer if the 13 in question were all NDSU Student Senate members?

How can Bresciani allow the word "fraud" to be associated with his institution in any manner without responding beyond a statement that he doesn't get involved in intra-department matters.

Would Breciani be a passive observer if the 13 in question were all NDSU Student Senate members?

I am a little surprised that we haven't heard at least a little more from the President of the school. He seems to be a bright guy. He has to know that this doesn't look good for the school, and that it isn't going to get better as long as they appear to do nothing.

May not get drafted but will get a shot

Playing at a D-1AA school and having a crappy background isn't going to bring him up on anyones draftboard (or FA board). There are 100's of better players than him and most of them probably have better character.

• Upvote 1

Playing at a D-1AA school and having a crappy background isn't going to bring him up on anyones draftboard (or FA board). There are 100's of better players than him and most of them probably have better character.

What exactly is wrong with his background besides this on incident? Enlighten me......

Incorrect. He is a legit NFL prospect and by most accounts is a pretty good kid who screwed up. Kids screw up all the time, the issue here is it doesn't seem like the NDSU football program or administration is going to attach any consequences to their actions.

• Upvote 1

Http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/search.aspx

City of Fargo vs Beck, Travis Andrew (LB, NDSU)

7/23/2012. Resisting a police officer

7/23/2012. Minor Purchase Alcohol

9/11/2012. Court Date

Also,

06/06/2011. Minor (2nd)

Deferred Sentence

Condition: Violate no criminal laws through 12/6/2012

Guess the defendant may have had a compelling reason to resist a police office with the previous deferred sentence.

Wish him all the best, but he's been playing with no suspension for multiple minors, buying as a minor, and a resisting police charge.

Http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/search.aspx

City of Fargo vs Beck, Travis Andrew (LB, NDSU)

7/23/2012. Resisting a police officer

7/23/2012. Minor Purchase Alcohol

9/11/2012. Court Date

Also,

06/06/2011. Minor (2nd)

Deferred Sentence

Condition: Violate no criminal laws through 12/6/2012

Guess the defendant may have had a compelling reason to resist a police office with the previous deferred sentence.

Wish him all the best, but he's been playing with no suspension for multiple minors, buying as a minor, and a resisting police charge.

Is this guy a starter?

What would I do?

I'd have suspended for the RMU game while reserving the right to enforce additional sanctions after their court date.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the RMU game happen before the news broke about these kids committing fraud? I think yesterday's game was the first game played since this information was made public.

Yes, RMU was before the news broke; however, Bohl admitted at his press conference the Tuesday before the CSU game (three days after the RMU game) that he's known about this issue for a couple weeks. He could've sat them for RMU for a generic "violation of team rules". When this broke later he could've told everyone that he's already dealt with it while reserving the right to do more after their day in court.

On a side note I heard from a reliable source this weekend familiar with the Jemison family that this is not the first episode of a "wardrobe malfunction" with this kid. Just the first time it has been brought to the authorities attention. That could explain why he was cut loose ASAP.

Trumaine Johnson from Montana still went in the 2nd round. To say there are 100's of better players could be true, it should be noted though that in Marcus's last two FBS games he has looked like he is a step above them. I don't know where he is projected as a prospect but if he went somewhere in the 3-4 round range I don't think too many people would be surprised.