SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

I'm sorry I struck a nerve but that's what you sounded like. Who cares if you are friends with someone who's dad was a coach/AD at NDSU. What relevance does that have in this whole conversation?

I was being accused of being a Bison fan which I am not and I just added the only two Bison fans that I know and why they are Bison fans.

Someone said there is a plea deal in the works. The players will confess and plead guilty if they can get out of jail for the Saturday games. That Bohl is pretty foxy.

Another angle to this would be maybe it would be better to cut these guys now before it really blows up and all the wins get erased from the record books for lack of institutional control. They really need to grab this by the horns before it really bites them.

Another angle to this would be maybe it would be better to cut these guys now before it really blows up and all the wins get erased from the record books for lack of institutional control. They really need to grab this by the horns before it really bites them.

IF (<-- note the big IF) it came to the point of "wins get erased" I don't believe it'd be from LOIC but more likely from the eligibility status of those players based on this:

Someone sent me some light reading, some homework, if you will.

Interesting document: http://fs.ncaa.org/D...e=REFERENCES_R7

Section 2.d is quite a compelling read:

That begs two questions:

- Were those lads hired because they were NDSU FB players, namely, recognizable figures due to athletic ability?

- Did they perform the work they were paid for (meaning collect signatures)?

I don't know the answers because the NCAA would be the ones who would have the answers and I can't figure those NCAA folks out.

The NCAA's version (the only version that matters) of the answers to those two questions could go either way.

And all it takes is using one ineligible player to void a game.

IF (<-- note the big IF) it came to the point of "wins get erased" I don't believe it'd be from LOIC but more likely from the eligibility status of those players based on this:

The NCAA's version (the only version that matters) of the answers to those two questions could go either way.

And all it takes is using one ineligible player to void a game.

Could you imagine the outrage if that game was the National Title game this January. I think Bohl and Taylor would be in deep !@#$!!

New article in the Forum says that 10 of the 15 are current NDSU players and 3 are former players, http://www.inforum.c...group/homepage/. Interesting paragraphs:

Ojuri stated he was paid $90 for an eight-hour shift and $45 for a four-hour shift, adding he was told by his employer that if he reached 80 signatures in an eight-hour shift he would receive a $10 bonus.

Asked by investigators what would happen if he didn’t obtain the minimum expected signature count of about 60 per shift, Ojuri said it was his understanding people would be fired if “you weren’t up to par.”

The documents show Ojuri said he would write names on petitions for the Clean Water, Lands and Outdoor Heritage Fund initiative in order to meet his quota, or to reach the bonus amount. He estimated 30 to 40 percent of the signatures he turned in were forged, the court documents state.

Williams told investigators he was initially paid $15 an hour to collect signatures for an initiative seeking to legalize marijuana for medical use. He said he was expected to get at least 60 signatures during an eight-hour shift.

He said the person running the petition drive for the ballot measure later offered to pay him $18 an hour if Williams got at least $80 signatures a shift, the court documents state.

Williams said at first he collected valid signatures for petitions he circulated, but he said he later used phone books to come up with names to write on the petitions, court documents state.

Williams told investigators perhaps half of the signatures he turned in had been forged.

New article in the Forum says that 10 of the 15 are current NDSU players and 3 are former players, http://www.inforum.c...group/homepage/. Interesting paragraphs:

The documents show Ojuri said he would write names on petitions for the Clean Water, Lands and Outdoor Heritage Fund initiative in order to meet his quota, or to reach the bonus amount. He estimated 30 to 40 percent of the signatures he turned in were forged, the court documents state.

All that for 10 bucks extra!!! Was it really worth it you dumbass.

• Upvote 2

Could you imagine the outrage if that game was the National Title game this January. I think Bohl and Taylor would be in deep !@#$!!

Darell: If the NCAA answers those two questions in a bad way for NDSU, they've already used those players in a game this season.

... Ojuri said he would write names on petitions ...

Williams told investigators perhaps half of the signatures he turned in had been forged.

Now I know what Bohl meant when he said his players were being "very cooperative" with investigators.

Good question. Who's picking up the legal tabs for the defendants? The taxpayers?

Part of the problem for the Griz in Missoula is the allegations that UM coaches took players with legal issues to "friendly" local attorneys and then the coaches offered the lawyers a quid-pro-quo benefit from the team later if the lawyer took the case "pro bono" now.

A coach can offer a player advice like "I use ScottM as sheister and consigliere" but that's as far as they can go under NCAA rules.

Part of the problem for the Griz in Missoula is the allegations that UM coaches took players with legal issues to "friendly" local attorneys and then the coaches offered the lawyers a quid-pro-quo benefit from the team later if the lawyer took the case "pro bono" now.

A coach can offer a player advice like "I use ScottM as sheister and consigliere" but that's as far as they can go under NCAA rules.

If the mess in Missoula isn't a red flag for NDSU to get in front of this issue I don't know what is, the best thing they could do is suspend these guys for a few games, by the time they come back it should be sorted out enough to know whether further action is appropriate. Much more frequently schools are being held accountable for looking the other way on athlete-related offenses, if the school doesn't make a move quickly they acquire a certain stench in the public eye.

The advantage NDSU has in this deal is they are good enough right now to win games without them, at least for a few games.

Since the players have already admitted their guilt I would imagine Bohl will hand down his punishment swiftly. They probably won't be playing the next couple games.

Those quotes were supposedly what they told the investigators, which was prior to this week. So Bohl would have presumably known about it.

The "swift punishment" ship has already sailed.

Those quotes were supposedly what they told the investigators, which was prior to this week. So Bohl would have presumably known about it.

The "swift punishment" ship has already sailed.

This was my thought. All we heard all week was that Bohl had to have known about the case that is why he was holding off. Well, doesn't sound like guilt is a question.

I agree with some of the previous posters. Bohl has known about this for a while and the athletes have said that they did falsify the signatures. Considering all the national stories that have been published about the crime and the almost total agreement amongst newspapers , radio personalities, and most fans from both Fargo and Grand Forks as well as from across the state that NDSU needs to take action against the athletes immediately, it is surprising that NDSU has done nothing. I think the smell of this isn't going to go away for a long time.