SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

I basically agree with that PSU fan.......................

If the pass defense "sucked because they only cared about stopping the run", then I'd feel better about it if they had actually stopped the run..........................

You have to admit, if the defense plays worse at any point during the rest of the season than they did last night, then it will be a very long season.................

PSU was the #1 rushing team in the Big Sky last season, averaging nearly 250 yds/game. They gained over 200 yards on us last night, in our house, despite losing their leading rusher from last season.

I was talking about their defense. Ours was garbage last night. An embarrassment to the '72 team in attendance and to anyone who has every played kick ass defense at UND. That said I bet they look wayyyy better the rest of the year with a chip on their shoulder.

I was talking about their defense. Ours was garbage last night. An embarrassment to the '72 team in attendance and to anyone who has every played kick ass defense at UND. That said I bet they look wayyyy better the rest of the year with a chip on their shoulder.

Agreed that our defense was a major disappointment. Worst tackling performance in a long time. I'm most worried about our line play on both sides of the ball. Our quarterback was our leading rusher with 50 yards - with our stable of running backs, that is ridiculous. I think PSU should have lines that are somewhere in the middle of the Big Sky in talent..If we don't figure out how to get a push, it's going to be a long season. I'm sure the team is working on this - I just hope it was a one game thing and not an indication of where we are in talent.

Not sure how the PSU coach can this: "It was an utter breakdown in discipline on every single front," Burton said of his defense. "And it will be corrected. Utter means everything. It didn't matter what was called. It was not executed in the fashion in which we expected. "I could not be more disappointed in the way we played on the defensive side of the ball."

They completely shut down our run game. Thankfully this came at the cost of giving up some big pass plays.

I would agree that our line play on both sides of the ball needs to improve, and I think the secondary is a question mark at best. On the bright side, tackling issues should be fixable, and we beat a team that gives us legitimate hope at being in the upper third of the BSC at the end of the year!

On the bright side, North Dakota beat PSU, which is one of two Big Sky teams on our schedule (Cal Poly being the other) that will attempt to primarily run the ball as the focal point of their game plan. Montana also has a bruising running attack that will hurt us if we at minimum don't shore up the tackling technique.................

On the bright side, North Dakota beat PSU, which is one of two Big Sky teams on our schedule (Cal Poly being the other) that will attempt to primarily run the ball as the focal point of their game plan. Montana also has a bruising running attack that will hurt us if we at minimum don't shore up the tackling technique.................

I have said this earlier but I'll repeat it...if we play run D vs. the Griz like we did vs. PSU, the Griz will run for 300+. Better O line and 2 RB of similar skill to PSU RB.

I have said this earlier but I'll repeat it...if we play run D vs. the Griz like we did vs. PSU, the Griz will run for 300+. Better O line and 2 RB of similar skill to PSU RB.

Are you sure about that?

That PSU RB is the best I have seen ever play at the Alerus. He was the total package - he had it all.

If Montana has 2 of him, I am already concerned.

Montana does not have two backs that are just like PSU; this guy set Maryland's TD record for a freshmen. Montana has a guy kind of like Sutton, but more powerful, and I am not sure about the second but I have a very hard time believing that they are better than the guy from PSU. That guy was a stud, and out lack of wrapping up made him look even better.

Are you sure about that?

That PSU RB is the best I have seen ever play at the Alerus. He was the total package - he had it all.

The PSU RB the best "ever" at the Al? We didn't tackle a lick and the coaching staff made little adjustments thru 3 quarter to take away the ONE running play they ran all game long. I might have mistyped about similar skill, but the Griz have 2 backs that we will make look as good at the PSU back if we play D like we did. The Griz O line IMO is much better than what PSU has. The Griz absolutely punished the Yotes up front in week 1.

The PSU RB the best "ever" at the Al? We didn't tackle a lick and the coaching staff made little adjustments thru 3 quarter to take away the ONE running play they ran all game long. I might have mistyped about similar skill, but the Griz have 2 backs that we will make look as good at the PSU back if we play D like we did. The Griz O line IMO is much better than what PSU has. The Griz absolutely punished the Yotes up front in week 1.

While we certainly didn't tackle well, he had a LOT to do with it. For his size and physicality, he was amazingly shifty and good at making people miss when we had him bottled up. He also had good top end speed.

Honestly, who has been to the Alerus that is better at RB? I don't think it's even close. That total package is rare at this level.

While we certainly didn't tackle well, he had a LOT to do with it. For his size and physicality, he was amazingly shifty and good at making people miss when we had him bottled up. He also had good top end speed.

Honestly, who has been to the Alerus that is better at RB? I don't think it's even close. That total package is rare at this level.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic. Little biased but had Chappel not pissed his career away, he had all the qualities you described above. But tough to compare old D2 vs. FCS. I do know if our D from the early 2000's played Saturday, this PSU RB wouldn't have looked so good. Again, where was any coaching adjustments to stop him. I didn't see any scheme changes thru 3 quarters and it was pretty much the same running play time after time.

The pass defense sucked because they only cared about stopping the run and their guys couldn't handle ours one on one. I wish the team would have closed the door on them like they should have, it could've been a blowout for us 50+ points for us and <30 for them if we had executed on a couple of plays.

Oh really? You mean if they didn't get into the endzone a couple of times and UND got in a couple more times it would have been a bigger point spread? No way...

Are you sure about that?

DJ Adams was a stud. He scored 10 TD's at Maryland his freshman year before transferring to PSU. He is a "dude".

We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic. Little biased but had Chappel not pissed his career away, he had all the qualities you described above. But tough to compare old D2 vs. FCS. I do know if our D from the early 2000's played Saturday, this PSU RB wouldn't have looked so good. Again, where was any coaching adjustments to stop him. I didn't see any scheme changes thru 3 quarters and it was pretty much the same running play time after time.

We can disagree.

This guy and Chappell aren't even in the same discussion as a RB. Chappell was very talented and probably had more top end speed, but it ends there.

The adjustments that should have been made were "tackle better". Like I said, they had him bottled up numerous times, only to have him escape. I don't think scheme or playcalling were the issue at all. The guys needed to simply make plays when they had a chance.

• Upvote 3

We can disagree.

This guy and Chappell aren't even in the same discussion as a RB. Chappell was very talented and probably had more top end speed, but it ends there.

The adjustments that should have been made were "tackle better". Like I said, they had him bottled up numerous times, only to have him escape. I don't think scheme or playcalling were the issue at all. The guys needed to simply make plays when they had a chance.

Fair enough...least you put my mind at ease that we won't get torched/gashed on the ground again the rest of the season for your analysis!

Just relieved we won't see another RB as good as this kid again this season or possibly ever?! ;)

We can disagree.

I think you are forgetting how shifty Chappell was to go with his world class track speed. He had everything except for great power. And remember we only saw him as a soph PSUs rb was a junior. Chappell could run as fast as he wanted to and made people look silly, Adams was very good but Chappell would've had around 250 yards on the 'defense' UND 'played'

I think you are forgetting how shifty Chappell was to go with his world class track speed. He had everything except for great power. And remember we only saw him as a soph PSUs rb was a junior. Chappell could run as fast as he wanted to and made people look silly, Adams was very good but Chappell would've had around 250 yards on the 'defense' UND 'played'

I tend to agree...Chappel would have as good of game had he suited up for PSU Saturday. I'm sure UNDvince has insight we don't but had Chappel had another 2 years...

As much as it pains me to say, I'll go with Lamar Gordon. Even though he never had much success against UND, he was a third round NFL draft pick, which in and of itself is pretty impressive.

As much as it pains me to say, I'll go with Lamar Gordon. Even though he never had much success against UND, he was a third round NFL draft pick, which in and of itself is pretty impressive.

That's a good nomination. He did nothing at the Alerus though.

Was also a bust in the NFL.

I think time will tell the whole story on Adams, to a certain degree.

The biggest thing we need to come around right now is our depth with the 2nd unit defense. When Daryl Brown came out our 2nd unit dbacks gave up some big plays and when we tried to rotate in our 2nd and some 3rd unit d-line and LB's we got beat on the option read play they ran time and time again. These guys need to get their feet under them and make some plays. Hopefully the experience helps with that. We are going to see some pretty good rb's and some outstanding wr's in the next few months and our first unit will not be able to be on the field all game.

Right now I am more concerned about our lack of pressure on the qb than anything else. I am confident our tackling will improve and we have guys that can run but we're asking a lot of our db's and our offense if we can't find a way to get some pressure.

That's a good nomination. He did nothing at the Alerus though.

Was also a bust in the NFL.

I think time will tell the whole story on Adams, to a certain degree.

Agree that time will tell on Adams. I think my opinion on him is a little skewed by the fact that despite the 11 td's while at Maryland his freshman year, he only gained a little over 200 yards, and then barely played at all his sophomore year. But if he can put together several more performances this year similar to what he did at the Alerus, then clearly he's the real deal.

Lamar Gordon never scored a touchdown against us. Not a single one. And it took him 30-40 carries to get 100 yards against our defense. I can think of several running backs that did much better against us.

The 2001 defense made a lot of good offensive players appear pretty ordinary. Remember J.T. O'Sullivan? He carved out a fairly lengthy NFL quarterback career. But he couldn't get UC-Davis into the endzone against UND. Also, SDSU's Josh Ranek was held under 100 yards at the Alerus in 2001.

Lamar Gordon never scored a touchdown against us. Not a single one. And it took him 30-40 carries to get 100 yards against our defense. I can think of several running backs that did much better against us.

There have been improvements since the move up, but I'm not sure the defense is one of them. That defense is not this defense.