SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Great!

The more I look at Brian Walker's film, the more I think he has the potential to be a star here at UND! I really hope Coach Schweigert offers him a scholarship today!

http://www.hudl.com/...4376?autoplay=1

Is worth noting Walker has an offer from MVFC Youngstown State

I agree. He appears to be tough to take down, seems to read his blocks well, and has above average speed for his size. Plus, he seems to have pretty good hands, and he has the physique to take the punishment of 20-25 carries per game.

For what is it worth. Its been pretty amusing to watch some of the speculation on Ezra from my point of view. It seems his recruitment has become the first battleground in winning back the state of Minnesota with regards to football recruiting for UND. As I understand it sounds like UND gave up recruiting Minny hard during Muss' tenure, leaving only really NDSU to recruit Minny, with the occasional Minnesota recruit going to UNI. Sounds like NDSU has taken advantage of this by offering lots of Minnesota kids(especially small school kids) partials or PWOs over the last several years and than developing those kids into great players. Ezra seems to fit this mold. However, now that Coach Schweigert and company have obviously re-committed to recruiting the state of Minnesota and the rest of the Upper Midwest this is going to be the first of many battles for years to come. NDSU may not be able to get the talented MInny recruit at a discounted price for much longer. As far as Ezra goes I know he really liked what he saw at NDSU but felt strongly about visiting UND as he has been really impressed with how Bubba has recruited him. NDSU was not pleased about the visit to UND but eventually relented. Ezra was impressed with every aspect of the visit especially considering how knew the staff is. Speculating I think Ezra was put off by NDSU and how they reacted to him wanting to take a visit to UND. Not speculating Ezra walked away from NDSU not the other way around and NDSU was a bit shocked and none to happy about it. Think it has less to do with money and friendship as some have speculated and more to do with how each school has recruited Ezra. UND has been on at least 5 visits to his home including 2 from Bubba and UNI has been there like 6 times often bring both the recruiter for Minny and Byrce Paup. I believe UNI is actually offering a full ride and see Ezra as a top target. I think NDSU thought they could get Ezra on the cheap like they have with many small school kids in the upper Midwest. They figured since they were in fact the first to offer a scholly, along with their tradition, and their recent success he would remain loyal to them. Seems like the UND and UNI staff see him as a top target and what 18 year old kid would not want to be treated as such. I know he is really conflicted about the decision that remains btw UND and UNI, thus the reason for no decision.

This is like a time capsule going back to the early 90s. They're slipping. One step at a time in the wrong direction already while we are taking leaps and bounds backs towards legitimacy and success.

For what is it worth. Its been pretty amusing to watch some of the speculation on Ezra from my point of view. It seems his recruitment has become the first battleground in winning back the state of Minnesota with regards to football recruiting for UND. As I understand it sounds like UND gave up recruiting Minny hard during Muss' tenure, leaving only really NDSU to recruit Minny, with the occasional Minnesota recruit going to UNI. Sounds like NDSU has taken advantage of this by offering lots of Minnesota kids(especially small school kids) partials or PWOs over the last several years and than developing those kids into great players. Ezra seems to fit this mold. However, now that Coach Schweigert and company have obviously re-committed to recruiting the state of Minnesota and the rest of the Upper Midwest this is going to be the first of many battles for years to come. NDSU may not be able to get the talented MInny recruit at a discounted price for much longer. As far as Ezra goes I know he really liked what he saw at NDSU but felt strongly about visiting UND as he has been really impressed with how Bubba has recruited him. NDSU was not pleased about the visit to UND but eventually relented. Ezra was impressed with every aspect of the visit especially considering how knew the staff is. Speculating I think Ezra was put off by NDSU and how they reacted to him wanting to take a visit to UND. Not speculating Ezra walked away from NDSU not the other way around and NDSU was a bit shocked and none to happy about it. Think it has less to do with money and friendship as some have speculated and more to do with how each school has recruited Ezra. UND has been on at least 5 visits to his home including 2 from Bubba and UNI has been there like 6 times often bring both the recruiter for Minny and Byrce Paup. I believe UNI is actually offering a full ride and see Ezra as a top target. I think NDSU thought they could get Ezra on the cheap like they have with many small school kids in the upper Midwest. They figured since they were in fact the first to offer a scholly, along with their tradition, and their recent success he would remain loyal to them. Seems like the UND and UNI staff see him as a top target and what 18 year old kid would not want to be treated as such. I know he is really conflicted about the decision that remains btw UND and UNI, thus the reason for no decision.

You are obviously tied into the situation and we appreciate the clarification. This is pretty much what a few of us stated and the exact opposite of the sad lies that were put out on BV.

It is quite apparent that both UND and UNI want Ezra badly. He is the exact type of defensive lineman that UND needs to turn this thing around in a hurry.

I agree. He appears to be tough to take down, seems to read his blocks well, and has above average speed for his size. Plus, he seems to have pretty good hands, and he has the physique to take the punishment of 20-25 carries per game.

i swear walker is the real deal . There's no way he doesn't come here if he's offered.him and my brother r pretty cool !

Absolutely agree. NDSU's complete cultivation of Minnesota and Wisconsin, with very little resistance from UND, is what allowed them their 3 national titles (see Billy Turner, Marcus Wiliams, Grant Olson, Brock Jenson, etc.). The lack of Midwest emphasis is what got UND into this hole (thanks Muss), but with Bubba at the helm, the emphasis will again be North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. And with that, UND will be relevant again real soon.

It worth noting that's it not only emphasis, but also a willingness to compete. Far too often Mussman would surrender to Bohl and NDSU in recruiting without even putting up much of a fight. Bubba will not do that, and it's that competitive edge that will captivate quality recruits and produce a winning, hard-nose football team!

Go Sioux!

• Upvote 1

He could get some perspective on UNI from another small town MN kid that graduated in 2013 and spent this past fall there. http://www.perhamfoc...tate-university

I have no idea what sort of experience that Hein had there, and do know that his older brother was already attending BSU, just that reaching out to him might give a little insight on UNI and what that program may or may not have to offer. I'm also not too naive to think that experiences for each individual person would be the same.

That all being said, good luck to him as he makes this decision. Would be fun to watch him at UND, but if that isn't what he chooses, i'm sure he'll do just fine.

Absolutely agree. NDSU's complete cultivation of Minnesota and Wisconsin, with very little resistance from UND, is what allowed them their 3 national titles (see Billy Turner, Marcus Wiliams, Grant Olson, Brock Jenson, etc.). The lack of Midwest emphasis is what got UND into this hole (thanks Muss), but with Bubba at the helm, the emphasis will again be North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. And with that, UND will be relevant again real soon.

It worth noting that's it not only emphasis, but also a willingness to compete. Far too often Mussman would surrender to Bohl and NDSU in recruiting without even putting up much of a fight. Bubba will not do that, and it's that competitive edge that will captivate quality recruits and produce a winning, hard-nose football team!

Go Sioux!

I am a new poster but a long time Sioux fan. Both of my kids graduated from UND and my daughter currently works for the university in the I T department at Twamly. If I may I would like to add my two cents worth. I think another factor in NDSU's success was Tim Brewster's time as head coach. I believe a Minneapolis sports writer made the statement that Tim Brewster was the best thing to happen to NDSU football. Basicaly, between Muss and Brewster, NDSU was the only FCS school to have a monopoly in the area they recruited. Those days are over and I think the bison fans are going to have a rude awakening in a few years

This is like a time capsule going back to the early 90s. They're slipping. One step at a time in the wrong direction already while we are taking leaps and bounds backs towards legitimacy and success.

I can't see where you can say SU is slipping. They just won 3 championships in a row. I am a UND alum and fan, but also respect what SU has done the past 4 years. I do agree that UND recruiting and future looks brighter than the past 2-3 years, but at this time I cannot agree that SU is or has slipped any, until someone beats them.

I can't see where you can say SU is slipping. They just won 3 championships in a row. I am a UND alum and fan, but also respect what SU has done the past 4 years. I do agree that UND recruiting and future looks brighter than the past 2-3 years, but at this time I cannot agree that SU is or has slipped any, until someone beats them.

I agree, let's wait to the end of the season and see if they do actually start slipping.

So is Ezra Szczyrback still waiting for additional offers or simply weighing his options between us and UNI?

From my understanding of it, it is down to UND and UNI. I believe he cancelled a visit to WIU for this weekend. I think both UNI and UND have really connected with Ezra and his family during visits to his home and he is really conflicted about having to disappoint people he has really grown to like, respect and could see himself playing for. Just my own speculation.

http://247sports.com...osh-Parks-31993

247 shows that Josh Parks is stopping by NDSU today on his way up to Grand Forks.

That's not accurate either, as it was confirmed a couple weeks ago by SamsRams that he was not going to NDSU on a visit.

I heard the same thing as UND-1; the staff cooled on him and aren't that interested.

EDIT: I should say that I'm not completely positive myself, or have it confirmed, that he's not visiting either school, just that I heard he wasn't.

If I were to guess that means that he had grown to like one coaching staff (and maybe feels a little obligation to that staff) but now feels like the other school or football program is the place to be and he is having a hard time letting that staff know what is going on. I wonder which school UND is in that scenario. Since it sounded initially like he might of been interested in UND, and now he is having other thoughts, it makes me feel like he wants to go to UNI now. Just an opinion.

I'm optimistic for the future, but let's face it, we haven't seen anything on the field, much less if any of these recruits are going to put UND over the top. To be honest, people were sky high on some of Mussman's recruiting classes, and would never have anticipated that we would be under a new regime. NDSU should have some drop off next year, simply because they were so untouchable, but that was going to happen under the old regime as well. I suspect we won't know for a couple years or so if NDSU becomes very mortal, and UND starts to rise in the ranks of the Big Sky.

• Upvote 3

It was their arrogance after a long run of success that doomed them then and will now. Just wait for it. Not next year but in the next few they will gradually get fat and happy.

If I were to guess that means that he had grown to like one coaching staff (and maybe feels a little obligation to that staff) but now feels like the other school or football program is the place to be and he is having a hard time letting that staff know what is going on. I wonder which school UND is in that scenario. Since it sounded initially like he might of been interested in UND, and now he is having other thoughts, it makes me feel like he wants to go to UNI now. Just an opinion.

I actually think what you described is what happened at NDSU. He really had a great camp last summer at NDSU, won some award for DL play and cemented himself as a prospect. I think his main recruiter moved on to Wyoming but the position coach is the same. I think he felt a sense of obligation to NDSU but actually when he looked at the investment in building relationships with him and his family UND and UNI showed him he knew he had to eliminate NDSU as a destination. More speculation but I think if UND staff had the longstanding relationship that some on the NDSU staff had this thing would have been done weeks ago. UNI is an established power versus the potential for UND to rise again might be the issue. I think the people part of it is about the same for him.