SiouxSports.com Forum

What do NCAA sanction mean to Penn State Hockey future?

CMSioux

Just wondering if there has been any news about how the NCAA sanctions and related financial impact on Penn State might impact their ability to launch and maintain a hockey program?

IMO less money for football equals less money for the athletic programs. If they start chopping funds to make ends meet....goodbye PSU hockey.

I assume that the donations to get the hockey program started were ear marked for that specific purpose and would not be able to be redirected.

I am sure they have the money to get the hockey program started. I think that the Penn State athletic program will be fine. Many people are saying that this is going to significantly damage their athletic department and it will take a decade to recover. Penn State has plenty of money. they can afford to pay 60 million dollars over the next 4 years. Happy Valley will still be packed for every home game in the next 4 years. Penn State will still win games as well. So while they are dishing out money every year as part of their penalty and losing money from not being in any Bowl games, Penn State will still be very financially well off iver the next few years.

IMO less money for football equals less money for the athletic programs. If they start chopping funds to make ends meet....goodbye PSU hockey.

They aren't allowed to divert money from other programs to pay off the 60 million.

'The hockey program is likely further protected due to the financial commitment made by Terry and Kim Pegula. Construction of the state-of-the-art Pegula Ice Arena is already under way after the Pegulas upped their donation from $88 million to $102 million.'

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2012/07/25/gadowsky-football-sanctions-wont-affect-penn-state-hockey/#ixzz21vilcltu

the ncaa has been given god like powers from sheep like people of this country ;)

You have a ;) in your post but it's a very true statement.

Here’s an organization that’s run by elitist (fill in blank) like Miles Brandt (RIP), Bernard Franklin and Mark Emmert and the only check in place is that they answer to 100’s of other elitist (fill in blank). Seems like a recipe for success, doesn’t it? One of the very, very few who questioned the organizations motives was Charles Kupchella. People around these parts like to take shots at Kupchella but early on he saw through, and had to battle with, all the blindly led sheep that were enamored with the slick snake-oil salesman in Fargo and across North Dakota. He also saw, early on, that the NCAA was misguided in their quest to rid the world of social injustice by stripping away Native American’s identities and telling the University of North Dakota that they were a hostile and abusive campus. Kupchella was probably the only university president in history to win any sort of battle with the NCAA when they dropped the “hostile and abusive” claim. Kupchella probably leaned the same way as most university presidents, but he wasn't afraid to take on an injustice when he saw it.

It will be interesting to see where (or if) the NCAA will stop in their unobstucted mission to lead the nation to its views of society.

• 2 weeks later...

Controversial T-shirts At A Penn State Bookstore « CBS Philly

The Student Bookstore, an independent Penn State store just off campus, is selling t-shirts dubbed the “NCAA Overstepping” shirt.

What has caught people’s attention is that the front of the shirt reads: “NCAA National Communist Athletic Association,” with the “C” designed to look like the Communist symbol.

The back of the shirt adds to that with “Overstepping Their Bounds And Punishing The Innocent.”

Good for them. The fact that this shirt was created does not mean that the creators agree with what happened. The shirt is not "controversial" unless one presumes otherwise, as I am sure the author of the article probably did. The shirt simply calls a thug a thug; nothing more. Glad other people are getting the message that the NCAA needs to be broken up and splintered. Way too much economic power concentrated in the hands of a few bed-wetting elitists but weenies like ND's Congressional delegation allow it. Where can I buy one of these? Still waiting for the NCAA and its corporate affiliates to disgorge all profits made off of PSU from 1998 through 2011/12. No one should profit from fruit of the poisonous tree - that's just a basic tenet of good morality, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

They aren't allowed to divert money from other programs to pay off the 60 million.

This. Other programs can't be hurt in funding, now maybe some athletes might not be interested in going there and that might hurt the program, but the funds will be there, besides, Penn State has boatloads of cash in their athletic department one might imagine.

C'mon folks. Any place that will let Jerry Sandusky be a predator for a decade has to have some "Enron accountants" around to make things "look right" too.

(That's the beauty of the Penn State situation: They've proven to be untrustworthy so we can freely assume the worst of them. :D )

Good for them. The fact that this shirt was created does not mean that the creators agree with what happened. The shirt is not "controversial" unless one presumes otherwise, as I am sure the author of the article probably did. The shirt simply calls a thug a thug; nothing more. Glad other people are getting the message that the NCAA needs to be broken up and splintered. Way too much economic power concentrated in the hands of a few bed-wetting elitists but weenies like ND's Congressional delegation allow it. Where can I buy one of these? Still waiting for the NCAA and its corporate affiliates to disgorge all profits made off of PSU from 1998 through 2011/12. No one should profit from fruit of the poisonous tree - that's just a basic tenet of good morality, isn't it?

Chewey you make a really good point with this. We know that they have made a butt load of money during Sandusky's time at Penn. They should donate all the money they have made to a chairty that deals with abused children. Otherwise they are as bad as Penn is.

unnecessary. they are getting kicked around bigtime right now.

Chewey you make a really good point with this. We know that they have made a butt load of money during Sandusky's time at Penn. They should donate all the money they have made to a chairty that deals with abused children. Otherwise they are as bad as Penn is.

Please correctly refer to the problem as "Penn State" or PSU.

I'm pretty sure Ivy Leaguer U of Pennsylvania (i.e. "Penn") wants nothing to do with this disaster in State College, PA.

PS - We don't like it when folks mistake UND for NDSU either.

unnecessary. they are getting kicked around bigtime right now.

I think you missed Chewey's point Johnboy: he is saying the NCAA should give back its profits from all things that Penn State made money for the NCAA. there you go with that NDSU cliff's notes ed-you-ka-shun ag'in. :lol:

I think you missed Chewey's point Johnboy: he is saying the NCAA should give back its profits from all things that Penn State made money for the NCAA. there you go with that NDSU cliff's notes ed-you-ka-shun ag'in. :lol:

Read through it much too quickly. Whoopsie daisy. :(