SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota to play NDSU

bincitysioux

Anyone know what Roebuck's all-time record vs. the Bison was? Wish he would have had the opportunity to add another notch or two to his belt.

I was too young and lived in Colorado at the time of NDSU total D-II ladies domination and was too little still when we moved back up to North Dakota to care about women's basketball. I imagine it was relatively close?

My guess is that the game starting back up the season after Roebuck retired is no coincidence.

I heard that Roebuck wanted the game to be in Grand Forks first. NDSU was not in favor of that. So now that Gene is gone, they can schedule the game without and backlash from the coach. Glad this game is being played finally. I wonder if they will schedule a double header with the mens game!! Play this game at the BSA and have the Fargo Acro Team perform between the games!! Now that would bring it back to how it used to be!!!

Coach Roebuck's disdain for all things NDSU is no secret. I'm glad the series will finally be renewed. These are two programs with dwindling fan interest over the last 5 years and this will create a buzz in the region. I've maintained ever since the schools stopped playing in everything years ago that losing the basketball rivalries hurt each school far worse than not playing the football game.

It is unfortunate that they didn't keep playing in everything except football. NDSU women's basketball which going into the transition appeared to be NDSU's strongest sport and most likely to be successful has been terrible. Not sure they have put a team on the floor since the move to d1 that could have even beat UND.....and we haven't been great.

It is unfortunate that they didn't keep playing in everything except football. NDSU women's basketball which going into the transition appeared to be NDSU's strongest sport and most likely to be successful has been terrible. Not sure they have put a team on the floor since the move to d1 that could have even beat UND.....and we haven't been great.

So was it Roebuck that kept UND off of NDSU's schedule? The last "DII" coach is now gone and the only person remaining in the rivalry from that era is Gene Taylor. I remember men and women's UND-NDSU doubleheaders.There was one game I went to that I got a kick out of Amy Ruley not shaking hands with Gene Roebuck after UND won. I thought she was a poor sport of course it was during her National title era. Nice to see them play again!!

• 1 month later...

Why be so nice......our women's teams have been a lot worse than terrible it's sad what has become of the team and I blame it all on the current coaches and women's AD....sad state of affairs for them

• Upvote 1

So they played in baseball, volleyball, men's basketball, and now women's basketball. Well that's all of them...oh wait. :lol:

You're right Darrell, are you guys afraid to step up and get your *sses kicked us in NDSU's best sport? Still no Softball game, huh?

Honestly, this should be a home-and-home every year. Two programs that could probably both really use a game with a packed house annually at this point. We suck right now. I won't even get bent out of shape if we lose. We really suck. Did I mention that already?

Honestly, this should be a home-and-home every year. Two programs that could probably both really use a game with a packed house annually at this point. We suck right now. I won't even get bent out of shape if we lose. We really suck. Did I mention that already?

Totally agree. In football, with very limited home games, I'm more ok with them not playing every year. But in all the other sports there's no reason to not play every year. It's the biggest draw of the year for every sport at both schools. Glad to see the series starting back up.

Thus explaineth why no NDSU mens or womens ice hockey.

(C'mon Herd, did you forget the "step up" sword has two sharp sides or what?)

And NDSU would beat you in Wrestling, MN would beat you in Rowing, and Denver would be you in LaCrosse. What's your point again?

We both have DI Softball (well you kinda do), yet you want no part of NDSU, what's up with that? We play baseball, but Softball is noticably absent.

We both have DI Softball (well you kinda do), yet you want no part of NDSU, what's up with that? We play baseball, but Softball is noticably absent.

And NDSU was better in MBB and VB last year too ... oh, wait ... ;)

The better question is "why no football".

And NDSU was better in MBB and VB last year too ... oh, wait ... ;)

The better question is "why no football".

It doesn't benefit NDSU. Would it benefit UND to play NDSU in hockey if NDSU had a program and wasn't in your conference? No, it would just give DI NDSU hockey legitimacy, and give recruits somthing else to consider. Would UND hockey play NDSU? No you wouldn't, for the same reason. NDSU does what's in NDSU's best interest.

Are you able to look at things from another point of view, or just your own?

It doesn't benefit NDSU. Would it benefit UND to play NDSU in hockey if NDSU had a program and wasn't in your conference? No, it would just give DI NDSU hockey legitimacy, and give recruits somthing else to consider. Would UND hockey play NDSU? No you wouldn't, for the same reason. NDSU does what's in NDSU's best interest.

We don't need NDSU to give UND football legitimacy. Sorry. And to answer your question about UND hockey playing NDSU, They definitely would. When Bemidgi State move up to D1 hockey, UND played them all the time. Programs speak for themselves. Recruits aren't making their choice where to play based on 1 game between the two teams. I am such and tired of the "NDSU does what in their best interests" crap. Well, keep saying that. Cause to you and other NDSU fans, coaches, etc it sounds like a good excuse, but to UND and all other people it is very COWARDLY!! If you think you are so great and better than UND...play us!!!

Couple of comments:

You are assuming that UND would not play NDSU. UND played against Bemidji St (BSU) and in fact travelled to BSU more than any other WCHA program when it first started D-1 hockey. UND was a very good partner with BSU and BSU acknowledged this when they asked UND to be the opponent on opening night in the new arena for mens hockey.

I seriously question your no benefit to NDSU comment. I believe that numerous posters have stated the following (increased ticket pricing, corporate/marketing opportunities). If you don't think that it is true - look at what is going on with SDSU/USD:

1) Corporate Sponsorship of the Game - in progress... South Dakota Corn Growers

2) Sold Out - it has been mentioned that they might get over 20,000 in attendance, plus you have not even started talking about local TV.

3) $40.00 for SRO - I believe that NDSU charges $30/$20 reserved sideline and reserved/EndZone. Plus, overflowing the Fargo Dome for the game might help NDSU with calls for a larger stadium!?!?

4) Plus it will be a great game - most SDSU fans are looking forward to a win over the Yotes. Hope you enjoy the Prairie St. game

I am fine if NDSU does not want to play UND, but - BOTH schools would benefit from the game.

• Upvote 4

NDSU has no place to go but down. The stadium is sold out and they just won a national championship. Guys need a new stadium and move to FBS. They already got a winning record vs the FBS. Build a new stadium Join the Mwc and enjoy the home games with 30,000 people.

The sad part for NSDU is there really isn't much difference between NDSU and UND. They play the same teams. It's just NDSU currently wins more and 8,000 more people watch.

If NDSU had DI hockey of course UND would play them, if MSUM had DI hockey UND would play them why?? The win counts in the standings, RPI, etc. Does it do any good to play Mayville State or Jamestown in DI basketball...no why? Because they are NOT DI. Does it count to play UND in football yes because it would be a DI win. So don't give me this it wouldn't benefit NDSU BS. As long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU they will never meet in the regular season and I think everyone at UND knows this and I think the president at NDSU knows this as well. I do hope NDSU is in such a pickle they have no choice but to try to get UND on the schedule or get a DII game....then have Brain Faison tell GT "sorry Gene I tried but you f*ed around on the idea have fun playing Sioux Falls".

If NDSU had DI hockey of course UND would play them, if MSUM had DI hockey UND would play them why?? The win counts in the standings, RPI, etc. Does it do any good to play Mayville State or Jamestown in DI basketball...no why? Because they are NOT DI. Does it count to play UND in football yes because it would be a DI win. So don't give me this it wouldn't benefit NDSU BS. As long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU they will never meet in the regular season and I think everyone at UND knows this and I think the president at NDSU knows this as well. I do hope NDSU is in such a pickle they have no choice but to try to get UND on the schedule or get a DII game....then have Brain Faison tell GT "sorry Gene I tried but you f*ed around on the idea have fun playing Sioux Falls".

You guys would know about playing Sioux falls! :lol:
  • Upvote 1