SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Champs

breakin face

Just mark it down as another classless move by UND's athletic dept. What do they have Nelson on speed dial? What's the up side, to embarass the NCAA? That's a smart move. Hope they got a good look at it, probably be the one and only they handle...

The press was on this before Faison even knew what was going on. He was on the phone all morning with different radio stations around the region. Get your facts straight before your next conspiracy theory.

With 7 D1 national championship banners already, I doubt the UND athletic dept is in awe of this FCS banner.

I honestly don't mean this as trolling, because I have always wondered about this. As a UND football fan, doesn't it get old bringing up another sports' accolades to "win" arguments with NDSU fans.

We all know UND hockey is great, it doesn't "hurt" me when a UND fan talks about hockey. I don't happen to be a fan of the team, but I am well aware of their place in NCAA hockey and the Ralph's place in the world in hockey circles.

But here we are talking about football and the minute it the conversation turns to championships it seems like someone always says well we have 7 of those. No you don't. That's hockey.

I am not trying to be a dick, but it is seriously weird that you can be having a totally normal conversation with someone about one sport and 9/10 times turns to talking about another sport altogether.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't mean this as trolling, because I have always wondered about this. As a UND football fan, doesn't it get old bringing up another sports' accolades to "win" arguments with NDSU fans.

We all know UND hockey is great, it doesn't "hurt" me when a UND fan talks about hockey. I don't happen to be a fan of the team, but I am well aware of their place in NCAA hockey and the Ralph's place in the world in hockey circles.

But here we are talking about football and the minute it the conversation turns to championships it seems like someone always says well we have 7 of those. No you don't. That's hockey.

I am not trying to be a dick, but it is seriously weird that you can be having a totally normal conversation with someone about one sport and 9/10 times turns to talking about another sport altogether.

And 9 out of 10 times that NDSU sports fans talk about sports they go to the National titles that NDSU has won in football. It doesn't matter what sport is being discussed, NDSU fans take it to football. In the process they try to tell everyone how much superior that NDSU is because of all the football titles that NDSU has won. Because football is the only sport that counts. Then they put down the UND hockey titles because it is a "niche" or "regional" sport, unlike football which is a "national" sport. What is even funnier is that quite a few NDSU fans come to a UND sports forum to talk about all the football titles that NDSU has won, while not very many UND fans go to the NDSU sports forum to talk about the UND hockey titles.

And 9 out of 10 times that NDSU sports fans talk about sports they go to the National titles that NDSU has won in football. It doesn't matter what sport is being discussed, NDSU fans take it to football. In the process they try to tell everyone how much superior that NDSU is because of all the football titles that NDSU has won. Because football is the only sport that counts. Then they put down the UND hockey titles because it is a "niche" or "regional" sport, unlike football which is a "national" sport. What is even funnier is that quite a few NDSU fans come to a UND sports forum to talk about all the football titles that NDSU has won, while not very many UND fans go to the NDSU sports forum to talk about the UND hockey titles.

I suppose we could talk about all 20 or so NC. Fact is NDSU supports all their sports.

What point are you trying to make? If you are having a conversation about football, ofcourse NDSU fans are going to talk about football. You are missing the point of my post. My point is that here we are in a football forum talking about football and hockey comes up. Why don't I bring up all the track and wrestling titles NDSU has? Or the fact that the softball team has made the NCAA tournament x number of times since the move up to DI? Because they have nothing to do with the conversation.

I think it is interesting that the point that there are NDSU fans here is constantly being brought up and IIRC it is usually specifically by you. Now, you personally may not be active on other fanbase's chat boards, but I can assure you it is not an uncommon thing. There are plenty of UND fans that post on BV, so for the sake of your credibility, just let that point go for good.

We have 0 and you guys have 1. The D2 stuff doesn't count for anything anymore other than fond memories.

I suppose we could talk about all 20 or so NC. Fact is NDSU supports all their sports.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe everyone else will believe you. :silly::lol:

The amount of butthurt coming from you is hilarious. Get over it, so what if the NCAA doesn't even care enough to know which school specifically won the FCS football title. At least they shipped it to the state of North Dakota and not South Dakota. They did one thing right.

What point are you trying to make? If you are having a conversation about football, ofcourse NDSU fans are going to talk about football. You are missing the point of my post. My point is that here we are in a football forum talking about football and hockey comes up. Why don't I bring up all the track and wrestling titles NDSU has? Or the fact that the softball team has made the NCAA tournament x number of times since the move up to DI? Because they have nothing to do with the conversation.

I think it is interesting that the point that there are NDSU fans here is constantly being brought up and IIRC it is usually specifically by you. Now, you personally may not be active on other fanbase's chat boards, but I can assure you it is not an uncommon thing. There are plenty of UND fans that post on BV, so for the sake of your credibility, just let that point go for good.

My point is that all NDSU fans talk about is football. And winning football titles. In every forum, whether it is a football forum or not. Then telling UND fans that the hockey titles don't really count because they don't believe that hockey isn't as important a sport as football. Even though Division I hockey is the highest level of hockey played in college and many Division I hockey players go on and play in the NHL, the highest level of hockey in the world.

And my problem is NDSU fans talking smack or continually trying to correct UND fans to the NDSU way of thinking on a UND sports forum. If you want to talk UND sports, I don't have a problem. I get tired of trying to discuss UND sports and having NDSU coming in to "correct" UND fans. I don't see the reverse happening on Bville. There aren't a lot of UND fans going there to "correct" NDSU fans to the UND way of thinking.

So if you are a staff member at the UND Athletic Department and you open a package from the NCAA with an NDSU flag in it - what are you supposed to do other than contact the head of the department?

Do you think anyone other than Faison should be making that call to su? I for one think dealing with UND issues comes first. The NCAA sending a flag to the wrong school is not a high priority UND issue last week.

Gotta love that when the people at the NCAA think of North Dakota they think UND - it is and always will be the Flagship Univeristy of the state.

• Upvote 2

We have 0 and you guys have 1. The D2 stuff doesn't count for anything anymore other than fond memories.

I can get on board with that, but I am of the opinion that the success NDSU is enjoying now is directly related to that success in Division II.

I think the success that UND will have at the DI level will also be directly related to the tradition and groundwork that the former players and champions in previous years have laid.

Without the D2 days, NDSU doesn't have such a strong alumni base to support the football team and other sports through Teammakers. They don't have a bunch of people who remember the glory days and show up in hoards in Texas to watch it happen again.

1-0 is fine with me, but the history does play a role in future success so I think it is relevant to honor that.

My point is that all NDSU fans talk about is football. And winning football titles. In every forum, whether it is a football forum or not. Then telling UND fans that the hockey titles don't really count because they don't believe that hockey isn't as important a sport as football. Even though Division I hockey is the highest level of hockey played in college and many Division I hockey players go on and play in the NHL, the highest level of hockey in the world.

And my problem is NDSU fans talking smack or continually trying to correct UND fans to the NDSU way of thinking on a UND sports forum. If you want to talk UND sports, I don't have a problem. I get tired of trying to discuss UND sports and having NDSU coming in to "correct" UND fans. I don't see the reverse happening on Bville. There aren't a lot of UND fans going there to "correct" NDSU fans to the UND way of thinking.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. I just don't see it happening that NDSU fans are always trying to turn the conversation to football. If it is happening it is just as bad as UND fans turning it to hockey.

I will admit, NDSU seems to have a number of fans who troll message boards just to get a rise out of other people, but I am not one of them. I may disagree with things that are said here and pop in to offer my opinion on it, but rarely do I comment with the deliberate intent of pissing people off. I get involved in some witty banter back and forth from time to time, but usually only when another poster makes a funny/depricating comment towards NDSU first.

There are plenty of UND fans who come to BV and do exactly what I do here. They get involved in the conversation and if a false comment is made about UND they are quick to correct it and offer their perspective as a UND fan. Doesn't mean they are obsessed with NDSU, it just means they have an interest in the things that are being said on the message board.

I'm with Bison06 (go figure right?). When getting into a discussion about football with friends, UND friends of mine always bring up hockey titles, which is fine if they are discussing the sport of hockey with me, but when a football discussion is going on, it should stick to football. If discussing basketball, stick to basketball, etc. I don't imagine that Ohio State fans are very impressed with Michigan fans if/when the Michigan fans bring hockey titles into football discussions.

EDIT: I'm sure plenty of NDSU people do the same, I probably do it too without even thinking about it too from time to time.

If having a discussion about athletic success of both schools, well yeah, feel free to discuss success in all sports.

Bison Dan is wrong about supporting all championships the same. I doubt your typical NDSU fan (not message board people, we are not typical) knows about the wrestling titles.

I'm with Bison06 (go figure right?). When getting into a discussion about football with friends, UND friends of mine always bring up hockey titles, which is fine if they are discussing the sport of hockey with me, but when a football discussion is going on, it should stick to football. If discussing basketball, stick to basketball, etc. I don't imagine that Ohio State fans are very impressed with Michigan fans if/when the Michigan fans bring hockey titles into football discussions.

EDIT: I'm sure plenty of NDSU people do the same, I probably do it too without even thinking about it too from time to time.

If having a discussion about athletic success of both schools, well yeah, feel free to discuss success in all sports.

Bison Dan is wrong about supporting all championships the same. I doubt your typical NDSU fan (not message board people, we are not typical) knows about the wrestling titles.

Didn't say the same, just that we support our "other" sports.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. I just don't see it happening that NDSU fans are always trying to turn the conversation to football. If it is happening it is just as bad as UND fans turning it to hockey.

I will admit, NDSU seems to have a number of fans who troll message boards just to get a rise out of other people, but I am not one of them. I may disagree with things that are said here and pop in to offer my opinion on it, but rarely do I comment with the deliberate intent of pissing people off. I get involved in some witty banter back and forth from time to time, but usually only when another poster makes a funny/depricating comment towards NDSU first.

There are plenty of UND fans who come to BV and do exactly what I do here. They get involved in the conversation and if a false comment is made about UND they are quick to correct it and offer their perspective as a UND fan. Doesn't mean they are obsessed with NDSU, it just means they have an interest in the things that are being said on the message board.

I see it happening all the time, whether the conversation begins about football, hockey, basketball, or whatever. Bison fans bring up their football team probably out of habit without even thinking about it, UND fans do the same with hockey. It just so happens that, in sports discussions, it is always the fanbase of the biggest rival that notices the annoying little nuances of the opposing fanbase.

Just to clarify a few things before this really takes on a life of it's own (too late!):

As soon as the package was opened, Brian Faison called Mr. Taylor and left him a message, indicating we had received the banner. Shortly after that, while Mr. Faison was doing a series of radio interviews regarding Tuesday's election results, a staff member tweeted a picture of the banner (a couple of other staff members also put a photo on their personal Facebook pages). Wayne Nelson, seeing the tweet, came down to the athletics office to take a picture of his own.

The banner was re-packaged and shipped to NDSU yesterday.

Our profession can be a stressful one -- the months and years leading up to Tuesday's vote serving as Exhibit A -- and we're all guilty of taking ourselves a little too seriously at times. Every now and then, it's okay to have a little fun. After all, it's sports. No disrespect was ever intended.

Thank you Jayson for clearing that up!!!! At least with the vote over your stress level can finally go down. You guys do a great job...keep up the good work.

There are 10 times as many Bison fans posting on the UND site as ther are UND fans posting at BV. That is just a fact. The totals aren't even close.

Just to clarify a few things before this really takes on a life of it's own (too late!):

As soon as the package was opened, Brian Faison called Mr. Taylor and left him a message, indicating we had received the banner. Shortly after that, while Mr. Faison was doing a series of radio interviews regarding Tuesday's election results, a staff member tweeted a picture of the banner (a couple of other staff members also put a photo on their personal Facebook pages). Wayne Nelson, seeing the tweet, came down to the athletics office to take a picture of his own.

The banner was re-packaged and shipped to NDSU yesterday.

Our profession can be a stressful one -- the months and years leading up to Tuesday's vote serving as Exhibit A -- and we're all guilty of taking ourselves a little too seriously at times. Every now and then, it's okay to have a little fun. After all, it's sports. No disrespect was ever intended.

So Jayson will the football team be getting a better intro video and entrance to the field, with some smoke and strobe lights or something to make it cool, they've been pretty sub par as long as I can remember and it's not like it can't happen since we've all seen the intro for the hockey team

• Upvote 2

Bison fans have to remember, UND has been in the quagmire (giggity) that is transition for 5 years! Recruiting was affected as soon as the move up was announced and student athletes knew that there would be no postseason opportunities and a sub par schedule would be the norm. Hockey has been the only sport to be playing for a "real" championship during that time period, and one could argue that the average fan has always seen it that way, even when UND was competing for Division II titles. My point is, we are very proud of hockey's accomplishments, and that is the #1 sport at UND. With the transition being over, the nickname figured out, our "other" sports will become exponentially more popular, and will undoubtedly see success now that the aforementioned hurdles are behind us. The cap between hockey and the "other" sports will be closed significantly, starting this fall.

Bison fans didn't have the option of a sport on campus that wasn't affected by the transition. Therefore, they had more passion for the sports such as football and basketball during the transition, as they were the "only show in town".

I am very excited!!!

And they were actually good at basketball and football. We transitioned with some of the worst football teams in recent memory with the best players not being able to keep the grades up and the others just not being very good. It's easy to be passionate when your teams are the best your school has ever had (Woodside administration and Mays/Walker regime) If we had been really good during the transition then the fans would have had passion, it just didn't work out that way.

So Jayson will the football team be getting a better intro video and entrance to the field, with some smoke and strobe lights or something to make it cool, they've been pretty sub par as long as I can remember and it's not like it can't happen since we've all seen the intro for the hockey team

A Virgina Tech entrance with Enter Sandman would be kickass.

• Upvote 2

There are 10 times as many Bison fans posting on the UND site as ther are UND fans posting at BV. That is just a fact. The totals aren't even close.

Fact is a word that describes something that can be proven. Provide data and I'll believe you.

Here's my perspective on the situation. I come here often and see the same NDSU posters talking alot, so it may seem like there are many of us, but it is just the same guys posting over and over again. So I am thinking like 4-5 NDSU fans post here on a regular* basis? There are 3-4 UND posters that post on a regular basis on BV.

*Regular meaning at least once a week

You said "Just mark it down as another classless move by UND's athletic dept....Hope they got a good look at it, probably be the one and only they handle."

I read that as championship banner, not necessarily football. Yeah, it's in a football thread but we're talking about UND's athletic department, not UND's football team. I pointed out they've "handled" plenty of D1 championship banners so why would they need to "get a good look at it."

I love that your post above starts out with "I honestly don't mean this as trolling..." which is hilarious because every single one of your posts is trolling.

• Upvote 1