SiouxSports.com Forum

Should the nickel trophy be on the line for future games?

CMSioux

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Nickel Trophy be on the line for future games?

• Yes
    • No

We have always fought for the nickel in the past, and I think that in order to renew that rival from the past it is only right to continue the rival coin. The native face may not represent our mascot much longer, but it will show what the rival has been. Just as visable as the nickel was the free subs that each town sponsered to the winning team. I think growing up I really got into the games because of the subs and the nickel. I did not know anyone from eithter school.

Of course they should play for the nickel. It's a regular season football game between UND and NDSU - that's what happens during these games. In case many forgot... the winner hoists the nickel trophy. Losing the Sioux nickname DOES NOT lose our history and tradition... why voluntarily put a great trophy out to pasture when we've been trying so hard for this long to get the game back? Ultimately, it will be up to the schools, so who knows what'll happen. As far as making it a travelling museum piece.... umm.... no.

I suspect since NDSU doesn't really care for this game, (and neither do their fans) an NDSU victory will not lead to players rushing to hoist the trophy anyway. They are SO over us.

Oh dear, you are seriously using cost as a reason that the Nickel shouldn't be in a museum? Who cares? All they'd have to do is put the trophy behind a glass case and have a sign for it describing the trophy's significance. Right now you sound stupid for claiming cost as a reason to not put it in a museum. The state has a boatload of money, I'm pretty sure we can afford to pay a few hundred bucks for a display case....we don't need a seperate room for it.

1. I went to school to study archival work in materials and perservation. So, DO NOT tell me that I sound stupid for stating cost.

2. It is not as simple as putting up a sign next to a display case.

3. You can not just stick a display case up and call it good.

4. Someone has to catalog it into the museum's system and put the display case together making sure that it fits archival quality. So, you have the cost of paying them to do so and the cost of building a display case that dust can not enter and depending upon what else you put in the display case, it may have to be uv protected.

5. You also are paying that person to type up that simple little sign.

6. If you do not have anything that it goes with, you need something else. You can not just stick the Nickel Trophy in with materials from the Lewis and Clark expedition.

7. Then, they have tours of the museum. So, you either need to pay someone to walk around talking about it or you are paying someone create a cd or playaway so that people can do a walking tour.

8. Then, you have to go into the cost of keeping up the collection.

9. Who cares? Archivists? Museum curators? People who would like the collection to be there for years down the road?

10. Yes, the state has money. That doesn't mean that it is earmarked for that. There is a process that they would have to go through in order to spend the money for the museum. Which again, takes time and money.

11. I could go on, but chances are you have stopped reading by now so I won't.

I have stated that was my opinion, you can disagree with it if you want. But there are reasonings behind my opinion, so maybe you could ask instead of just calling me stupid.

1. I went to school to study archival work in materials and perservation. So, DO NOT tell me that I sound stupid for stating cost.

4. Someone has to catalog it into the museum's system and put the display case together making sure that it fits archival quality. So, you have the cost of paying them to do so and the cost of building a display case that dust can not enter and depending upon what else you put in the display case, it may have to be uv protected.

6. If you do not have anything that it goes with, you need something else. You can not just stick the Nickel Trophy in with materials from the Lewis and Clark expedition.

7. Then, they have tours of the museum. So, you either need to pay someone to walk around talking about it or you are paying someone create a cd or playaway so that people can do a walking tour.

9. Who cares? Archivists? Museum curators? People who would like the collection to be there for years down the road?

10. Yes, the state has money. That doesn't mean that it is earmarked for that. There is a process that they would have to go through in order to spend the money for the museum. Which again, takes time and money.

I have stated that was my opinion, you can disagree with it if you want. But there are reasonings behind my opinion, so maybe you could ask instead of just calling me stupid.

Is that all?? Hell all you have to do is have that work done and send the bill to JohnboyND7. ;)

• Upvote 1

4. Someone has to catalog it into the museum's system and put the display case together making sure that it fits archival quality. So, you have the cost of paying them to do so and the cost of building a display case that dust can not enter and depending upon what else you put in the display case, it may have to be uv protected. God forbid dust gets on it. Surely it gets no dust on it now.

5. You also are paying that person to type up that simple little sign. Oh dear, a few hundred dollars? OH NO!

6. If you do not have anything that it goes with, you need something else. You can not just stick the Nickel Trophy in with materials from the Lewis and Clark expedition. Surely there isn't any space in any major building that we can put it. Perhaps the Capitol building?

7. Then, they have tours of the museum. So, you either need to pay someone to walk around talking about it or you are paying someone create a cd or playaway so that people can do a walking tour. Real tough to tell the tourguide to mention it is a trophy that features a indian on one side and a bison on the other. And is a larger replica of a Nickel. Mention of the record while the two schools played for it, maybe mention when and why they quit playing.

8. Then, you have to go into the cost of keeping up the collection. It is really difficult to leave it in a case.

9. Who cares? Archivists? Museum curators? People who would like the collection to be there for years down the road? Well apparently all of this is so difficult, I bet the people taking care of it now are doing such a great job.

I am not asking that they do a perfect job preserving the dumb thing, I am not asking for a king tut exhibit. Just something simple that people can see. Who cares if dust gets on it? Who cares about UV protection? At least people would get to see it rather than hiding it where only a few people get to see it.

I am not asking that they do a perfect job preserving the dumb thing, I am not asking for a king tut exhibit. Just something simple that people can see. Who cares if dust gets on it? Who cares about UV protection? At least people would get to see it rather than hiding it where only a few people get to see it.

If a museum is going to do it they are going to do it right. They are professionals. We're not talking about some guy who puts stuff on the wall in his garage. You were just told how a professional does the job, and you are still making fun of it? You really can be a piece of work, troll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLpOmRHJlI

If a museum is going to do it they are going to do it right. They are professionals. We're not talking about some guy who puts stuff on the wall in his garage. You were just told how a professional does the job, and you are still making fun of it? You really can be a piece of work, troll.

Ok, so you are saying, that you'd rather have it be hidden somewhere, rather than just putting it somewhere public where people can see it. No one says that you need to treat this trophy like it is some ancient Egyptian artifact. It is a big metal nickel that is like 75 years old. I think that it would get treated better in a public place (museum, capitol building, etc.) than it probably is now, unless the people taking care of it hired some museum preservation whatchamacallems to take care of it.

It is probably sitting in some box or hung up on a wall or something. If it is just going to do that, you might as well just hang it up on a wall where people can see it. Anyone suggesting it should still be hidden is just being stupid.

Ok, so you are saying, that you'd rather have it be hidden somewhere, rather than just putting it somewhere public where people can see it.

Wow, you're really good at this jumping to over the top inaccurate conclusions thing. He never, ever even hinted at what you're accusing him of "saying." Apparently, pointing out that museum curators would probably do more than just put it in a case is the same as saying he wants to keep it hidden?

I think if it's not going to be played for, then it should be displayed. Since UND won the last game, then it should be displayed at the Alerus or on the UND campus. In the past, the school that won the game got to do whatever they wanted to with it. This is exactly the same, as the school that won it last should get to do what they want with it.

Wow, what an uppity snob. At the end of the day who gives a rat's a$$ where somebody went to school? It has nothing to do with anything. Last time I checked, being an alumnus is not a prerequisite for being a fan of a college sports team.

Or in your case the fan of a name only.

• Upvote 4

Ok, so you are saying, that you'd rather have it be hidden somewhere, rather than just putting it somewhere public where people can see it. No one says that you need to treat this trophy like it is some ancient Egyptian artifact. It is a big metal nickel that is like 75 years old. I think that it would get treated better in a public place (museum, capitol building, etc.) than it probably is now, unless the people taking care of it hired some museum preservation whatchamacallems to take care of it.

It is probably sitting in some box or hung up on a wall or something. If it is just going to do that, you might as well just hang it up on a wall where people can see it. Anyone suggesting it should still be hidden is just being stupid.

I didn't say anything about what should be done with the Nickel Trophy. I said that you were being a jerk for calling someone stupid when they were trying to explain the proper way to handle a historic display. That person has professional training and was providing information, you make up crap and insult people. Go back to Bville where they appreciate people that make up crap and insult people. And you might want to invest in some reading comprehension classes.
  • Upvote 1

Wow, you're really good at this jumping to over the top inaccurate conclusions thing. He never, ever even hinted at what you're accusing him of "saying." Apparently, pointing out that museum curators would probably do more than just put it in a case is the same as saying he wants to keep it hidden?

I think if it's not going to be played for, then it should be displayed. Since UND won the last game, then it should be displayed at the Alerus or on the UND campus. In the past, the school that won the game got to do whatever they wanted to with it. This is exactly the same, as the school that won it last should get to do what they want with it.

If the school is not putting it somewhere where it can be appreciated.....and it isn't being played for, it belongs in a museum.

Wow, what an uppity snob. At the end of the day who gives a rat's a$$ where somebody went to school? It has nothing to do with anything. Last time I checked, being an alumnus is not a prerequisite for being a fan of a college sports team.

People who went to a school tend have more of a connection to the team and the school that the team is playing for.

I didn't say anything about what should be done with the Nickel Trophy. I said that you were being a jerk for calling someone stupid when they were trying to explain the proper way to handle a historic display. That person has professional training and was providing information, you make up crap and insult people. Go back to Bville where they appreciate people that make up crap and insult people. And you might want to invest in some reading comprehension classes.

You implied that putting the trophy shouldn't be in a museum because of the cost. That sounds ridiculous. There is no rule that you need to do anything special for a chunk of metal that probably isn't in perfect storage anyway. Heck, putting it in a glass case is probably greater than or equal to the treatment is receiving now. If it could receive professional treatment, that is great. If not, well I think it'll be ok. I have perfectly fine reading comprehension skills. Your just mad that I pointed out that the Nickel trophy doesn't need to be treated like King Tut's tomb. It is a trophy....made for a game between schools that are rivals. In 200 years people probably won't find it interesting anyway. God forbid that it get rusty or something. If it makes you feel better, you can insult my field of study, accounting/finance.

My point: The trophy....if it isn't going to be played for anymore, belongs in a museum or other public government building, so that people who are looking at important North dakota things, can see it, rather than be in a place where a very small number of people can see it....where honestly, they probably don't have museum quality protection anyway. So WORST case scenario, you give it a spot on a wall in a public building. Next worse scenario, it is placed in a decent display case in a public building. Best case scenario, it is in a nice display case in a museum......and during tours, someone who already is being paid to give tours, shows the display of the Nickel trophy, and mentions some cool facts about it. I doubt anyone, especially 82SiouxGuy, can make a good argument against. There is nothing to lose in those scenarios. Noow if you believe the trophy is UND's property, I can understand, but it is a cool piece of history regardless of who you cheer for, and would be a nice piece to put into a museum.

I believe the trophy always was on display until students started "stealing" it. Wonder what the history is about who stole the trophy first and force it to go into hiding? I don't know, just asking? Might be a good newspaper story whether or not the game starts up again.

People who went to a school tend have more of a connection to the team and the school that the team is playing for.

There are some who are alumns that went to school just for education who don't know anything about sports, and there are those who are die hard fans who read up on their favorite team, pay money to see them and support them through good and bad years. None of us are former NFL players (I am pretty sure on that), does that mean I can't bash my favorite team's (Dolphins) rival the New England Patriots? Or since I didn't play any professional sports I can't voice my opinion on a message board about my team or its opponents? Is that a Bison rule or what?

• Upvote 1

If the school is not putting it somewhere where it can be appreciated.....and it isn't being played for, it belongs in a museum.

You implied that putting the trophy shouldn't be in a museum because of the cost. That sounds ridiculous. There is no rule that you need to do anything special for a chunk of metal that probably isn't in perfect storage anyway. Heck, putting it in a glass case is probably greater than or equal to the treatment is receiving now. If it could receive professional treatment, that is great. If not, well I think it'll be ok. I have perfectly fine reading comprehension skills. Your just mad that I pointed out that the Nickel trophy doesn't need to be treated like King Tut's tomb. It is a trophy....made for a game between schools that are rivals. In 200 years people probably won't find it interesting anyway. God forbid that it get rusty or something. If it makes you feel better, you can insult my field of study, accounting/finance.

My point: The trophy....if it isn't going to be played for anymore, belongs in a museum or other public government building, so that people who are looking at important North dakota things, can see it, rather than be in a place where a very small number of people can see it....where honestly, they probably don't have museum quality protection anyway. So WORST case scenario, you give it a spot on a wall in a public building. Next worse scenario, it is placed in a decent display case in a public building. Best case scenario, it is in a nice display case in a museum......and during tours, someone who already is being paid to give tours, shows the display of the Nickel trophy, and mentions some cool facts about it. I doubt anyone, especially 82SiouxGuy, can make a good argument against. There is nothing to lose in those scenarios. Noow if you believe the trophy is UND's property, I can understand, but it is a cool piece of history regardless of who you cheer for, and would be a nice piece to put into a museum.

Again, I didn't say anything about where it should go. Everyone else got it right, except you. Try reading it again you putz.

Museum curators are PROFESSIONALS. They aren't going to do their job half-assed like some NDSU grad would do. They try to do it right or they don't do it. They have STANDARDS that they follow. And when someone who studied the field tried to tell you that, you called them stupid. Then you completely misread 2 of my posts. I don't care if you want to tack it up on the garage wall like a hubcap, that would be your opinion and you don't have access to it so it doesn't matter. My issue is that you are insulting people, and that is one of the reasons that you are a troll. And since you don't understand standards I'm going to be very happy that you don't handle any accounting for me.

• Upvote 1

There are some who are alumns that went to school just for education who don't know anything about sports, and there are those who are die hard fans who read up on their favorite team, pay money to see them and support them through good and bad years. None of us are former NFL players (I am pretty sure on that), does that mean I can't bash my favorite team's (Dolphins) rival the New England Patriots? Or since I didn't play any professional sports I can't voice my opinion on a message board about my team or its opponents? Is that a Bison rule or what?

The only fans of the bizon are people who went to NDSU..... it's a symptom of being an unknown garbage school with no national presence. :D

As long as its the Sioux vs. the Bison the trophy should be used. After the name is gone the trophy should be sent to the state historical society or to the university that won the rivalry the most times...(cough....UND). :lol:

Whatever the trophy is it won't have anything on the great Dakota marker trophy.....you just can't top the untoppable.... :p

• Upvote 1

If UND keeps the Fighting Sioux nickname, then sure let's keep playing for the Nickel Trophy.

If not, then no.

PS. Could playing for a nickel trophy be a violation of the NCAA settlement? I would think of that as a bit of a stretch, but since when would the NCAA apply common sense.

Melt the trophy down and start from anew....remember to use non-cultural links to the state...try some inert trophies like the north vs south trophy or the I-29 trophy...keep anything of North Dakota cultural value out of the event as we all know how wrong we have been for 80 years by ignoring the glaring abusive and hostile aspects of our athletics program.

If UND keeps the Fighting Sioux nickname, then sure let's keep playing for the Nickel Trophy.

If not, then no.

PS. Could playing for a nickel trophy be a violation of the NCAA settlement? I would think of that as a bit of a stretch, but since when would the NCAA apply common sense.

Under the current sanctions, no. But, things could change...

If not, then no.

Since the nickel is of historical value (Buffalo nickel) I see no violation. Its like playing for a giant quarter. There is nothing on the trophy that says Bison or Fighting Sioux just the words nickel trophy which it is just that a big giant nickel.

What are the icons on each side? Isn't one side a buffalo and the other side some form of Sioux icon - the NCAA would not like that. Plus they would say it perpetuates the Sioux nickname which is exactly why they mandated that UND MUST replace the nickname.