SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

A very good letter in the Grand Forks Herald from Ray Purpur. For those that don't know, Mr. Purpur is the deputy director of athletics at Stanford, is originally from Grand Forks, and a graduate of UND. He has a great deal of experience in collegiate athletics and has a much better idea about how the sanctions will affect UND athletics than anyone on the force-UND-to-keep-the-nickname side. The letter can be found at http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/237005/group/homepage/.

This is a great example of how misinformation has allowed someone to form an opinion and would vote based on what he or she may believe is an honorable reason but hurts UND. All tribes had an opportunity to have their voices heard. The Standing Rock Tribal Officials wouldn't respond to UND officials on a number of occasions and when they did their answer was they were opposed to UND keeping the name. The people of Standing Rock had ample opportunity over the years to elect representatives who would have supported the name. They did not. The Spirit Lake Tribe also had an opportunity to speak out on behalf of UND in 2005 and had they done so the name would be there without sanctions. "These people" you refer to had ample and multiple opportunites to speak out. There were open forums and there were committees over the years. There have been many opportunites to participate in the discussions. The agreement with the NCAA involved the parties with "a horse in the race". UND, the State of N.Dak. and the NCAA. Whether or not we wanted to sit at that table or wanted someone else including Tribal Officials to sit at the table, is not something we can force on the NCAA nor the courts. (The courts just decided that).

The SBoHE fought to keep the name until it became clear the NCAA was not going to allow them to keep the name without approval of the tribes. That was another opportunity for the tribes to have their "voices" heard. At some point the SBoHE relaized the futility of trying to force our opinion on the NCAA and have been trying to retire the name once we were unable to get those "voices" you refer to to be heard and approve the name.

Vote however you wish, but learn what the heck you are talking about before you make a decision. Misinformed voters like you could very well hurt UND athletics beyond repair. NDSU, SDSU, recently joined the growing list of schools who are heeding the recommendatin from the NCAA that no NCAA school schedule UND. The possibility (not certainty) that UND will be removed from the Big Sky is real. To vote against UND because groups of people didn't care enough to take action when they had the chance is not a good reason in my opinion. As time goes by there is something new every month providing more evidence of how keeping the name will hurt UND and UND athletics. Anyone foolish enough to believe it won't hurt UND hockey as well is just palin foolish.

The people who matter most in this discussion are not the people of Standing Rock and Spirit Lake. It is the student athletes, the students, the fans, the alumni and the rest of the UND community that will be directly affected and hurt by the NCAA sanctions.

Freudian slip?? ;)

Agree with most everything stated, but did NDSU really say they won't schedule UND due to the name? I know the article said they postponed negotiations until after the nickname issue was settled, but I guess I didn't read that as "we won't schedule you until you're off sanctions." Was there another article on the subject?? Regardless, the sanctions and list of teams refusing to play us are bad enough even without NDSU.

Let's see, another Nazi insult. Another PC zealot insult. You call the entire Alumni Association out of touch with reality, and compare them to Nazis. Good to know that you are consistent in your delusion and your insults.

All the while DaveK never went to UND, never spent one day in the class rooms at UND, but is going to turn around and insult some good people. Classic reasoning right there.

Edited by Goon

This is a great example of how misinformation has allowed someone to form an opinion and would vote based on what he or she may believe is an honorable reason but hurts UND. All tribes had an opportunity to have their voices heard. The Standing Rock Tribal Officials wouldn't respond to UND officials on a number of occasions and when they did their answer was they were opposed to UND keeping the name. The people of Standing Rock had ample opportunity over the years to elect representatives who would have supported the name. They did not. The Spirit Lake Tribe also had an opportunity to speak out on behalf of UND in 2005 and had they done so the name would be there without sanctions. "These people" you refer to had ample and multiple opportunites to speak out. There were open forums and there were committees over the years. There have been many opportunites to participate in the discussions. The agreement with the NCAA involved the parties with "a horse in the race". UND, the State of N.Dak. and the NCAA. Whether or not we wanted to sit at that table or wanted someone else including Tribal Officials to sit at the table, is not something we can force on the NCAA nor the courts. (The courts just decided that).

The SBoHE fought to keep the name until it became clear the NCAA was not going to allow them to keep the name without approval of the tribes. That was another opportunity for the tribes to have their "voices" heard. At some point the SBoHE relaized the futility of trying to force our opinion on the NCAA and have been trying to retire the name once we were unable to get those "voices" you refer to to be heard and approve the name.

Vote however you wish, but learn what the heck you are talking about before you make a decision. Misinformed voters like you could very well hurt UND athletics beyond repair. NDSU, SDSU, recently joined the growing list of schools who are heeding the recommendatin from the NCAA that no NCAA school schedule UND. The possibility (not certainty) that UND will be removed from the Big Sky is real. To vote against UND because groups of people didn't care enough to take action when they had the chance is not a good reason in my opinion. As time goes by there is something new every month providing more evidence of how keeping the name will hurt UND and UND athletics. Anyone foolish enough to believe it won't hurt UND hockey as well is just palin foolish.

The people who matter most in this discussion are not the people of Standing Rock and Spirit Lake. It is the student athletes, the students, the fans, the alumni and the rest of the UND community that will be directly affected and hurt by the NCAA sanctions.

You're crazy and not completley accurate as well. Native elders were not allowing their people to speak out. Get your facts straight....most of us know this by now. It wasn't until there was an uprising within their communities that this recent call to keep the name even started. I have a boyhood friend who is from the standing rock tribe (actually sent him what you just wrote) and he said you are absolutely full of bologna.

• Upvote 1

You're crazy and not completley accurate as well. Native elders were not allowing their people to speak out. Get your facts straight....most of us know this by now. It wasn't until there was an uprising within their communities that this recent call to keep the name even started. I have a boyhood friend who is from the standing rock tribe (actually sent him what you just wrote) and he said you are absolutely full of bologna.

However it went down, it is all irrelevant now. Spirit Lake and Standing Rock could have a vote tomorrow and vote 100% to keep the name. The NCAA is not going to change their minds. UND signed a legally binding settlement. The dealdling is up. The ramifications of keeping the name are here. Whatever happened at Standing Rock doesn't matter now.

Cast not the first stone.

It's the Standing Rock Tribal Council who is not allowing "people to speak out". (There is a difference between the elders and the Tribal Council.) However, that's how the laws at SR are written and SRTC is within their governing powers.

Cast not the first stone.

It's the Standing Rock Tribal Council who is not allowing "people to speak out". (There is a difference between the elders and the Tribal Council.) However, that's how the laws at SR are written and SRTC is within their governing powers.

Oh OK.

The NCAA is trying to wear down the ND people into doing exactly what a lot of you are already doing....giving up. I am glad there are true Sioux fans standing their ground and voting to keep the name.

We're actually University of North Dakota fans first, and _____________ (fill in your favorite team name) fans second.

Apparently you're new here and new to this debate also. You're calling ira out on inaccuracies and yet you failed to point out a single one. The nickname debate is no longer about sticking it to the NCAA (those attempts have already failed). It's about doing what is best for UND. Please take the time to educate yourself on this issue and use some logic in deciding which way to vote on 6/12.

The NCAA is trying to wear down the ND people into doing exactly what a lot of you are already doing....giving up. I am glad there are true Sioux fans standing their ground and voting to keep the name.

Absolutely incorrect. The NCAA is abiding by the settlement that they signed with UND and the State of North Dakota. They have no reason to change their position from what was spelled out in the settlement.

And knowing when to cut your losses is not giving up, it is being rational and reasonable, something that is missing from a handful of posters around here.

The NCAA has already won. They have a policy in effect that is supported by a super-majority of their members. The policy is not going away, if anything it is going to get more inclusive. The NCAA has a signed agreement with the University of North Dakota, the State Board of Higher Education and the State of North Dakota saying that UND would live up to the policy and the settlement. The settlement eliminates any possible lawsuits unless the other party breaks the agreement. The NCAA isn't going to break the agreement.

What do you believe is going to be gained by keeping the nickname? The NCAA sanctions are just starting to take effect. They are cumulative, the effects will get worse over time. The NCAA isn't going to back down from their policy, and there is no way to force them down. If you believe that the NCAA is going to back down or that the NCAA is going to weaken the sanctions, you are horribly wrong. The NCAA has a history of keeping sanctions in place. They have UND right where the NCAA wants it. Keeping the nickname will hurt the entire athletic department, including the hockey program (since you seem to be a hockey only fan). Minnesota and Wisconsin will not schedule hockey games with UND after this coming year. Losing major rivals, and 2 of the biggest schools in college hockey, is a major blow to the program. Other schools will probably take the same policy at some point, which will make it even worse.

The people that you are calling "true Sioux fans" are not really University of North Dakota fans. If you are really a fan of the University of North Dakota you need to realize that keeping the nickname and continuing the sanctions is very bad for UND. It is time to retire the nickname.

The NCAA has already won. They have a policy in effect that is supported by a super-majority of their members. The policy is not going away, if anything it is going to get more inclusive. The NCAA has a signed agreement with the University of North Dakota, the State Board of Higher Education and the State of North Dakota saying that UND would live up to the policy and the settlement. The settlement eliminates any possible lawsuits unless the other party breaks the agreement. The NCAA isn't going to break the agreement.

What do you believe is going to be gained by keeping the nickname? The NCAA sanctions are just starting to take effect. They are cumulative, the effects will get worse over time. The NCAA isn't going to back down from their policy, and there is no way to force them down. If you believe that the NCAA is going to back down or that the NCAA is going to weaken the sanctions, you are horribly wrong. The NCAA has a history of keeping sanctions in place. They have UND right where the NCAA wants it. Keeping the nickname will hurt the entire athletic department, including the hockey program (since you seem to be a hockey only fan). Minnesota and Wisconsin will not schedule hockey games with UND after this coming year. Losing major rivals, and 2 of the biggest schools in college hockey, is a major blow to the program. Other schools will probably take the same policy at some point, which will make it even worse.

The people that you are calling "true Sioux fans" are not really University of North Dakota fans. If you are really a fan of the University of North Dakota you need to realize that keeping the nickname and continuing the sanctions is very bad for UND. It is time to retire the nickname.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. They should always be the Fighting Sioux. Yes, you seem to know a lot about this so I guessing you are correct in saying the agreement was signed by all parties, blah blah blah. However, we are not looking at this from 5,000 ft. By that I mean why the name is being taken away in the first place. Certain people find the name offensive except the tribe which our school is named after. That is silly to me. You are correct in saying we will lose potential games (WIS, MN) however, I believe that will only be in the short term, also, we will not be running into them much any longer due to the conference realignment. As for the other sports, you are correct, while I am a fan, I am not a die hard fan. Simply because the division they play in. I lived in GF my whole life and went there, however, besides hockey I only follow football and I much rather watch Div 1-A football.

You all may be correct that the name should go, but that is simply the easy way out because the NCAA has pinned us into a corner. I just think this isn't a fair way to go about things. MN is full of BS, don't they have the Warrod Warriors with an Indian head logo?

• Upvote 1

You need to get your facts straight and so does your friend. Tribal governments are run much like governments in the rest of the country. The governing body, in this case the Tribal Council, makes the decisions for the entire tribe. Some tribes allow a referendum or initiative, and some don't. Across the country approximately half of the states allow some form of initiative and/or referendum and half don't. The United States Federal government does not allow initiatives or referendums. When have you ever voted on an issue that was being decided by the United States Congress? Never, the correct answer is never.

Standing Rock does not have referendum or initiatives in their Tribal Constitution. Matters at Standing Rock are decided by the Tribal Council. The Tribal Council has officially been on the record since 1992 stating that they are opposed to UND using the Fighting Sioux nickname. As Ira said, they have had many elections during that time and could have elected people during that time to change the policy. As a matter of fact, they had an election after the settlement was signed, and before the deadline. They decided after that election to continue the policy being opposed to the UND nickname. A group got a petition together to get approval for the nickname and had it signed by 1004 tribe members. The opposition put together a separate petition asking the Tribal Council to keep the policy opposing the nickname. They got 1012 signatures. Both groups tried to turn in their petitions, but the Tribal Council agreed to table the matter and not address either petition.

The settlement agreement set up how the NCAA would accept approval from the 2 tribes. At Spirit Lake they recognized that the Tribal Council had given approval in 2000. All they requested was written confirmation that this approval was still in existence. As a matter of fact, Spirit Lake could have given that written approval in 2005 or 2006, during the appeal process, and this whole issue would have been decided. We wouldn't be arguing about the issue and UND would not be on sanctions. UND would be in the same status as Florida State. Spirit Lake refused to provide that letter. All they had to do was write a letter saying "Yes, the approval is still effective." They wouldn't do it. They wouldn't address the issue at all until some of the tribe members forced the initative (which Spirit Lake recognizes in their Tribal Constitution). Even after the vote the Tribal Council was reluctant to provide the written confirmation until forced by the tribe members.

The settlement states that Standing Rock can decide approval in any way acceptable in their Tribal Constitution, and then relay the approval in written form to the NCAA. The Tribal Council is the only way to give approval for something like this at Standing Rock. As I said earlier, they have repeatedly stated that they do not approve of the use. There is no other way to get tribal approval, and nothing else that could be done to get that approval. Standing Rock Tribal Council members refuse to discuss the issue with tribe members, UND or state officials or the NCAA. They have made their decision.

Furthermore, Standing Rock is not the only tribe with a policy opposing the Fighting Sioux nickname. Every Sioux tribe other than Spirit Lake has opposed the nickname as has the Great Plains Tribal Chairman's Association which is made up of the Tribal Chairs of approximately 15 or 16 tribes in the region. Again, Spirit Lake is the only tribe in the region that has given support for the nickname. And this issue has been active with the tribes since the 1960s or earlier. The effort to save the nickname now is not the first time that tribes have addressed the issue. Just because you or your friend have not been aware of this doesn't mean that it hasn't been happening.

• Upvote 4

Sorry but I disagree. I

Then tell us how UND can win. Tell us how the NCAA can be defeated. Tell us what can be done to eliminate the sanctions. If you can't provide more than an opinion, if you can't provide something based on facts rather than emotion, then you have nothing to add to this discussion. This is now a business decision and using emotion to keep the nickname is not a good policy.
  • Upvote 1

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. They should always be the Fighting Sioux. Yes, you seem to know a lot about this so I guessing you are correct in saying the agreement was signed by all parties, blah blah blah. However, we are not looking at this from 5,000 ft. By that I mean why the name is being taken away in the first place. Certain people find the name offensive except the tribe which our school is named after. That is silly to me. You are correct in saying we will lose potential games (WIS, MN) however, I believe that will only be in the short term, also, we will not be running into them much any longer due to the conference realignment. As for the other sports, you are correct, while I am a fan, I am not a die hard fan. Simply because the division they play in. I lived in GF my whole life and went there, however, besides hockey I only follow football and I much rather watch Div 1-A football.

You all may be correct that the name should go, but that is simply the easy way out because the NCAA has pinned us into a corner. I just think this isn't a fair way to go about things. MN is full of BS, don't they have the Warrod Warriors with an Indian head logo?

I will repeat something I learned as a child, and something I have posted here many times. LIFE ISN'T FAIR! No, it probably isn't fair that UND has to change the nickname. But is it fair that the athletes and coaches at UND have to live with the sanctions? They will if UND doesn't change the name.

What do you base your belief about the schools not scheduling UND only lasting for a short time. Did you know that Wisconsin and Minnesota have had those policies in place since well before the NCAA created their policy? Both Wisconsin and Minnesota modified their policies to match the NCAA policy. But they have both been on the record for over 15 years opposing schools using Native American names. The only exceptions were for school in their conference or for games that they were required to play because of their conference or national tournament play. They aren't going to change their policies. They will only play UND in tournament games for hockey, and will never play UND in other sports. That will hurt recruiting and also marketing in the Minneapolix area.

You have admitted to being part of the hockey only crowd. It is that group that has helped push this issue to the point we are at now. That group believes the sanctions won't affect men's hockey, and therefore they don't care whether it affects any other sports. It doesn't matter that it will hurt women's hockey as soon as next year, it will hurt football, and it will hurt other sports. That group is also short sighted in thinking it won't affect UND hockey. It will hurt recruiting because of not playing name schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin. It will hurt recruiting because other schools will tell recruits that UND is on sanctions, and that word alone will scare away recruits. Losing recruits, especially top end recruits, will probably make it more difficult to win games which will result in more losing. Losing means less fans in the stands and less money for the school. And there is always the possibility that college hockey will change the playoff system. There has been discussion about having first round games played back on college campuses since most regionals don't attract large crowds. UND would not be allowed to host such a game.

Even the hockey coach has come out and said it is time to retire the nickname. Hakstol explained that it will hurt the hockey program. So has former hockey player Tim O'Keefe. They are looking out for the best interests of the school and the hockey program. Yet you believe it is important to keep the name. If you can't come up with some concrete information, some facts, and a basis for your "feeling" that games against schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin will come back, then you are only dealing from emotion and not making a wise decision for the good of the school. That is not acceptable and that is the reason that so many of us are working hard to retire the name now.

• Upvote 3

I have never said Native Governments have allowed their people to have a voice in this. UND, the SBoHE or the state of N.Dak. have no authority to make the tribal government let anyone have a voice. The Native American people can do that if they wish. Thus far, not enough of them wish to change things. What I said was, that they as tribal goverments were given a chance to voice their opinions. In 2005 all it would have taken was one or the other to fulfill the NCAA requirments to give UND permission to use the name and neither of them did so.

Whether or not Natives feel they have been heard on any issue important to them including this one is none of our business and the way they can change that is to vote someone else into office. That fact won't change no matter how this particular issue is resolved. Spirt Lake and Standing Rock have their own governing bodies and they and they alone can change how that works. This is only one issue and voting one way or another on this measure won't get them a voice on their tribal councils nor will it change what the tribal council says or does. The NCAA has made it very clear this vote is irrelevant to them. This is not about standing up to anyone. This is about disagreeing with the vast majority of NCAA members and then defying their decisions.

Native elders have been heard on the issue and they seem to have been very supportive of the name as best I can tell and from those who have chosen to get involved. These individuals do not have the authority to speak for their respective tribal governments just like I don't have the authority to speak for mine.

What I did say and it is accurate is that those tribes had ample opportunity to speak up and be involved in this whole process over the years. Some elders and others who supported the name did exanctly that and UND officials did a number of things to try and sway the NCAA over the years and to sway the tribal governments. Obviously it didn't work. The elders would understand the term "we are kicking a dead horse". The NCAA doesnt' care whether or not they are heard and the NCAA has a legal right to that decision. The NCAA is a private organization and over 400 members voted to get rid of Native Names. The NCAA has made it clear the vote on this measure is irrelevant to them.

Those of you who think this is a civil rights issue don't understand the rights of a private organization. I don't agree with the NCAA and don't care for how they run the organziation. Unfortunately for me, the NCAA and the members don't care what I think. Same goes for the tribal elders and the rest of us. If the name goes away nothing changes in the lives of Native peoples. If the name stays it puts UND athletics in a postion whereby there are factors we can't control that may put our teams and coaches at a competitive disadvantage. Those of us who have been in the coaching business and recruiting business over time are trying to tell people the facts. Guys like Purpur, Hakstol, Charilie Bridgeford, Tim O'Keefe, and the whole host of former UND athletes and coaches who have realized the potential harm to UND have asked us to vote yes. They have a lot more credibility than the former 4th line hockey player and an unknown attorney from Minot. Their website simply declares what they wish as fact and anyone who tries to respond with a counter point based on historical facts and evidence contrary to their stance is called a lier. Pretty easy to see we need to Vote yes for UND and vote yes for the future of UND athletics.

• Upvote 1

At least we will see what Sioux County really thinks

And that matters how? The NCAA didn't ask for a vote, they don't care. They wanted something from all of Standing Rock, not just the portion that is in Sioux County. Not all of Sioux County are tribal members. And it is past the deadline so it is too late for Standing Rock to change their position even if they wanted. The vote is meaning less to the NCAA in Sioux County, and in Grand Forks County, and in every county in the state of North Dakota.
  • Upvote 3