SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Staff Change

puck

Berry is waiting for his contract buy-out and will join the Sioux staff shortly thereafter. Simple as that; it's just a matter of time.

I think this is the best case scenario. A coach with NHL experience who has been around the block and knows how the college process works. If someone is going to replace Eades, Berry would be the best call.

Even better than....cough....Dean..... :ohmy:

• Upvote 1

I think this is the best case scenario. A coach with NHL experience who has been around the block and knows how the college process works. If someone is going to replace Eades, Berry would be the best call.

Even better than....cough....Dean..... :ohmy:

You are correct. I hope Berry does come back. I don't think you could replace Cary with anyone else but Berry and still have the continuity in the program for next season. I am sure Hak had his ducks in a row before letting Cary go.

This is just a thought but I do believe that David Hale lives in Grand Forks. What would people think about him being a coach if Berry is not in the running?

The job listing says that they require experience coaching defensemen at the Division I level, they require recruiting experience at the Division I level, and have several other requirements for specific experience. I don't believe that Hale has any of those. So he may not qualify based on the requirements listed in the job description.

Yeah, I know what the listing says but from everything I understand is Haks main goal is to get someone who played D in the NHL and Hale made quite a career for himself. The other stuff (recruiting players) you can learn on the fly. I just threw out Hales name because I know he lives in GF and he is a name we could probably hear as a coach in the future.

Yeah, I know what the listing says but from everything I understand is Haks main goal is to get someone who played D in the NHL and Hale made quite a career for himself. The other stuff (recruiting players) you can learn on the fly. I just threw out Hales name because I know he lives in GF and he is a name we could probably hear as a coach in the future.

The way the University system works it is almost impossible to hire someone that doesn't fit the requirements listed in the job listing. If those items weren't actually required they wouldn't have been put in the job description. That job description was written with specific needs in mind, so I don't see any way that they would just throw out the job description to hire someone else. Hakstol obviously wants someone with strong experience in coaching defensemen, he isn't looking to train a new coach. Hale may be a good coach in the future, but you normally don't get a job with one of the top programs in college hockey without some strong previous experience.

Once Richards releases Berry and gives him the old golden handshake, Brad will be behind the Sioux bench...no doubt in my mind.

That would be my guess also. It is probably a pretty short list of people that might be available, meet the requirements, and have a UND connection. Berry is at the top of that list.

i think you're missing the importance of recruiting. it's not just something you can pick up, imo.

Re-reading that position posting, of UND alumni coaching today, I'm not sure who fits all of it, specifically the Required Qualifications:

Required Qualifications:

• Bachelors' degree

• Experience Working under NCAA Rules and Regulations

• Interpersonal and Communications Skills

• Experience Coaching/developing defensemen at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience with in-game bench management of defensemen at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience evaluating and recruiting players at NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience with coaching/developing specialty teams play at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience in the area of video breakdown and analysis at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Playing experience as a defensemen at the NCAA D1 level

• Experience designing and executing on-ice practice at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Must have a thorough knowledge of and commitment to compliance and follow all NCAA, conference and UND rules and regulations

• Must provide support and encouragement and ensure the safety and well being of student-athletes

• Criminal History Background check

Preferred Qualifications:

• Playing experience as a defensemen at the NHL level

• Coaching experience as a defensemen at the NHL level

David Hale - No DI coaching experience

Dane Litke - No DI coaching experience

UND guys I see fitting into that (because of the minimum DI coaching experience criteria) are:

Brad Berry

John Marks (and I'd be shocked if it was John Marks)

Jason Herter (why would he leave UMD?)

James Patrick (why would he leave Buffalo-NHL?)

Granted, Berry does fit the best, but I don't see anything in the required or preferred qualifications that says this person needs to be a UND alumni

What if they find an excellent D1 assistant from out East? :ohmy:

It is a nice sense of pride, though, having an entire coaching staff of alumni.

Granted, Berry does fit the best, but I don't see anything in the required or preferred qualifications that says this person needs to be a UND alumni

It is definitely possible that there could be someone outside the UND hockey family that fits the qualifications and might be interested. But UND has been hiring mainly UND alumni as hockey coaches for most of the last 35 or more years. Blais is one of the few exceptions. So my money is on a UND alumnus if one is available.

Being a UND alumni is not and should not be a requirement for the job. They take the best candidate that they deem fit for the position.

... I don't see anything in the required or preferred qualifications that says this person needs to be a UND alumni

Agreed.

That's why I qualified my list with "UND guys ... "

If someone like Mel Pearson were to call ... uh-duh ... ;)

Re-reading that position posting, of UND alumni coaching today, I'm not sure who fits all of it, specifically the Required Qualifications:

Required Qualifications:

• Bachelors' degree

• Experience Working under NCAA Rules and Regulations

• Interpersonal and Communications Skills

• Experience Coaching/developing defensemen at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience with in-game bench management of defensemen at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience evaluating and recruiting players at NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience with coaching/developing specialty teams play at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Experience in the area of video breakdown and analysis at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Playing experience as a defensemen at the NCAA D1 level

• Experience designing and executing on-ice practice at the NCAA D1 level or above

• Must have a thorough knowledge of and commitment to compliance and follow all NCAA, conference and UND rules and regulations

• Must provide support and encouragement and ensure the safety and well being of student-athletes

• Criminal History Background check

Preferred Qualifications:

• Playing experience as a defensemen at the NHL level

• Coaching experience as a defensemen at the NHL level

David Hale - No DI coaching experience

Dane Litke - No DI coaching experience

UND guys I see fitting into that (because of the minimum DI coaching experience criteria) are:

Brad Berry

John Marks (and I'd be shocked if it was John Marks)

Jason Herter (why would he leave UMD?)

James Patrick (why would he leave Buffalo-NHL?)

Hale was an assistant coach with the Sioux this season.