SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Staff Change

puck

This was the only logical explanation since the announcement was made to let Eades go. Berry is IMHO one of the best college recruiters in the country and brought in some of the best recruiting classes UND has ever seen, and on top of that he has a reputation for his work on the blueline.

Eades was just simply not doing a good enough job here. We have seen a steep decline in the recruits under Eades tenure, have started losing several blue chip recruits in the past 18 months and have witnessed a blue line that has been plagued by inconsistency.

When I was in college I was witnessing Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Parise, Chorney etc... on a weekly basis and I am looking forward to getting back to that. I think this will have an absolutely huge impact on the overall program if it does happen and give props to Hakstol and Co. for realizing that change is needed.

This was the only logical explanation since the announcement was made to let Eades go. Berry is IMHO one of the best college recruiters in the country and brought in some of the best recruiting classes UND has ever seen, and on top of that he has a reputation for his work on the blueline.

Eades was just simply not doing a good enough job here. We have seen a steep decline in the recruits under Eades tenure, have started losing several blue chip recruits in the past 18 months and have witnessed a blue line that has been plagued by inconsistency.

When I was in college I was witnessing Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Parise, Chorney etc... on a weekly basis and I am looking forward to getting back to that. I think this will have an absolutely huge impact on the overall program if it does happen and give props to Hakstol and Co. for realizing that change is needed.

Are you for real? A decline? Yeah, we've really been hurt by poor recruiting...

Yeah, not really.

Yeah, not really.

I agree. Total BS comment. Some fans foolishly making a scapegoat out of Eades after all he had done to help us. I didn't hear anybody complaining about his coaching or recruiting during those Frozen Fours years. I didn't hear anybody calling for his head after this past season either.

Yeah, not really.

Yup, a decline. There have been some overachievers of the group that is for sure, but it can't really be argued that the group of recruits berry was able to bring were far far superior to the team that has been iced the last couple of years. We were where we were this year because of the coaching job that was done. Just look at the roster, the bottom 6 was full of a bunch of walk-ons and defenseman. Yes they had injuries, but some of these walk ons had to be brought in because of lost recruits such as JT Miller.

Most of the players on the roster from 2009 roster and early were all Brad Berry recruits. Just compare the top recruits from each coach and it is quite evident who was the stronger recruiter and that can't really be debated.

I agree. Total BS comment. Some fans foolishly making a scapegoat out of Eades after all he had done to help us. I didn't hear anybody complaining about his coaching or recruiting during those Frozen Fours years. I didn't hear anybody calling for his head after this past season either.

It is not a BS comment, just look at the breakdown

2007-2008

top 2 forwards

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Top 4 Defenders

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Robbie Bina

Chay Genoway

- All of these are Brad Berry recruits (not 100% sure on Genoway though)

Carey Eades recruits didn't start hitting till after that Junior class left. They overachieved this year, but it is quite clear that the talent level on the ice suffered a bit of a drop off. He was doing an ok job here, but Berry's performance and numbers speak for themselves and he is a clear upgrade over Eades in every way.

Cary Eades is only one of the UND coaches.

Good recruiting is a result of many factors. The head coach and the assistants are a recriuting team and have a team strategy.. The players you have on your team and how they interact with the recruits is a huge factor. The quality of the facilities. The reputation of the program. The quality of the academic institution. The location of the school and in many cases the chances of the kid playing and whether or not he thinks the chances of playing in the NHL are enhanced by his college choice.

As far as our recruiting dropping off I am not sure I agree. Nelson was a great recruit. Grimaldi is a great recruit. The kid who changed his mind and played Juniors in Canada was a good recruit. The Schmalz kid coming in is a big time recruit. Forberg, Kristo are blue chip kids. Kids who left early like Gregoire or Hextall. You can go down the list and most colleges would be very happy with the kids UND has had recently and has coming in. Don't know why Eades is moving on but Brad Berry was not the only UND recruiter at the time nor was Eades recently.

For those who don't think UND's schedule has anything to do with recruiting, the breakup of the WCHA and the loss of the Gophers and Badgers on our future schedules are a negative rather than a positive. That makes the recruiting job a bit harder. Recruting and the choices kids 16-19 make are based on different factors for different kids. Any small factor may be enough to move a kid to or away from a school. Not sure how Eades factors into that.

2007-2008

top 2 forwards

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Top 4 Defenders

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Robbie Bina

Chay Genoway

Carey Eades recruits didn't start hitting till after that Junior class left. They overachieved this year, but it is quite clear that the talent level on the ice suffered a bit of a drop off. He was doing an ok job here, but Berry's performance and numbers speak for themselves and he is a clear upgrade over Eades in every way.

O.K., out of the players you gave, one is a full-time NHL player. So if Nelson, Forbort, MacWilliam, Grimaldi, Knight or Kristo make the NHL, then Eades' recruits would be up to par. I think there are a lot of players on the Sioux right now that have more potential than some people on your list of players and in fact are already putting up better college stats and results that help the team win.

But in all reality, these coaches are recruiting the best possible COLLEGE players, not for the NHL. The NHL teams have their own recruiters.

I'm not in favor of Eades over Berry or vice versa, just indicating that the coaches are recruiting primarily to build the best UND team possible.

Haha yeah right, the Sioux have lost out on some defectors but please do not say they have poor recruiting. You watch....Parks and MacMillan will be studs.

Long story short....I really hope Berry comes back because that guy's earlier post is somewhat correct. He did pull in a lot of top end recruits that probably would have been playing in the CHL without Berry great recruiting efforts.

2007-2008

top 2 forwards

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Top 4 Defenders

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Robbie Bina

Chay Genoway

Most of those, I believe would have been Hakstol recruits. Bina started in 2003, while Hakstol was still Associate Head Coach and so would have committed before then. Berry was not associate until around 2004.

I am a bit shocked that people have become so hostile to the idea that there may be a better option than Eades that has presented itself to the university. Recruiting was only a part of the problem in my opinion, the big problem which I haven't heard any arguments on yet is the quality of the coaching job. There is a specific reason that Hakstol wants someone with NHL experience behind the bench as an associate coach. Berry coached teams at UND were known to have players that often overachieve at the position, yes none of the defenders have turned out to be strong Pro players, but the success Berry got out of them in college is quite remarkable. They were known more than anything else for consistency in their own zone, and that more than anything else is the difference. The last couple years the defence was often plagued by more inconsistency and underperforming than we have been used to in the past.

At the end of the day the opportunity presented itself to bring back an associate head coach who was directly responsible for icing some of the best teams that UND has had in a long long time. Here is my last thought on this as to how I think of it:

"Teams under Hakstol and Berry were favorites to win the NCAA's every year, whereas teams under Hakstol and Eades were forced to overachieve to make it to the Frozen Four"

I appreciate everything Eades has done for UND and he will always hold an important part of history here, but change isn't always a bad thing and after this next season hopefully more Sioux Fans on here will be able to notice that.

2007-2008

top 2 forwards

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Top 4 Defenders

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Robbie Bina

Chay Genoway

I'm not totally plugged in to hockey.............

Can someone explain what defines a "Berry Recruit" vs. an "Eades Recruit"?

I believe Eades was also on the staff when all of these guys came to North Dakota.

I'm not totally plugged in to hockey.............

Can someone explain what defines a "Berry Recruit" vs. an "Eades Recruit"?

I believe Eades was also on the staff when all of these guys came to North Dakota.

It's simply who is head of recruiting at the time to me. I am very aware that it takes an entire staff to recruit, but when Berry was involved the results were dramatically higher was my only point. This wasn't my main reason for being in favor of the change, as I think the coaching ability that Berry brings is just exceptional, just seems to be that everyone is only focusing on that part of it.

What's the one knock on Hakstol?

Can't win the league regular season title? No, that's not it.

Can't win the league post season title? No, that's not it.

Can't develop Hobey Baker calibre talent? No, that's not it either.

It's "can't win the National Championship".

Well, let me remind you all of the definition of insanity:

Insanity is doing the same thing the same way over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

I can't say right now these moves are definitely right or definitely wrong, but I can say that Hak is trying some thing different which tells me he's not satisfied and he wants that "different result" (a banner) as badly as anyone. That's what I'm happy with. Now, let's see what the different result is.

• Upvote 2

What's the one knock on Hakstol?

Can't win the league regular season title? No, that's not it.

Can't win the league post season title? No, that's not it.

Can't develop Hobey Baker calibre talent? No, that's not it either.

It's "can't win the National Championship".

Well, let me remind you all of the definition of insanity:

Insanity is doing the same thing the same way over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

I can't say right now these moves are definitely right or definitely wrong, but I can say that Hak is trying some thing different which tells me he's not satisfied and he wants that "different result" (a banner) as badly as anyone. That's what I'm happy with. Now, let's see what the different result is.

All this does is turn up the heat on Hak. You can only blame others for so long before people will look directly at you for not getting results. This move seems to be blaming Eades to some extent. That's Hak's prerogative but it also means he is running out of excuses for anything other than he simply can't get the job done.

I don't know if it will all work out either. But I do think I'd look for some other changes first (style of play, type of player we recruit, etc) before I start pointing a finger at a guy who was in the trenches with me and helped me succeed quite a bit.

All this does is turn up the heat on Hak. You can only blame others for so long before people will look directly at you for not getting results. This move seems to be blaming Eades to some extent. That's Hak's prerogative but it also means he is running out of excuses for anything other than he simply can't get the job done.

I don't know if it will all work out either. But I do think I'd look for some other changes first (style of play, type of player we recruit, etc) before I start pointing a finger at a guy who was in the trenches with me and helped me succeed quite a bit.

If there were differences of opinion on those things you mentioned, then what? As I said before I hardly think Hakstol or Eades has to make excuses for their success or perceived lack of success. If any of us were as successful as them in our everyday lives, we probably wouldn't have time to hash over all that is Sioux hockey.

• Upvote 1