SiouxSports.com Forum

Operation Occupy KFGO

It has come to my (and other people's) attention that the new producer of the Mike McFeeley Show on KFGO 790AM (Fargo) and KCJB 910AM (Minot) has openly stated on air that he is voting "no" on the Fighting Sioux referral measure on June 12th. He also said he was going to encourage everyone he knows to do the same thing. Some of you may ask why we should care about this. I'll tell you why we should.

KFGO's programming has a wide reach across the state of North Dakota. What is said on the air can and does influence people, especially with an issue like this one where I think a great number of voters are poorly informed on all the potential ramifications surrounding this upcoming vote and on what it would mean for UND athletics and the entire institution itself. What McFeeley's producer (Dan Gunderson) is saying (even if it is tongue-in-cheek, which I don't think it is) could influence people to vote no, which would be a disaster for the University of North Dakota. This issue is critical to one of the state's biggest assets and it is highly irresponsible for some jack-wagon talk radio producer to openly advocate a position that threatens the vitality of that asset.

This link will allow you to e-mail the KFGO studio with your comments about the nickname and logo vote.

http://www.kfgo.com/email-kfgo.php

McFeeley's show runs from 2-5pm Central time. I suggest that everyone take a minute and let Mr. Gunderson know what you think of his smart-mouth comments about the referral vote on June 12th and explain why he shouldn't run his NDSU-loving mouth about it. If we send enough e-mails, McFeeley and his sidekick will have no choice but to talk about this instead of something else (Vikings Stadium, the Moorhead hash pipe ban, ect.). This is an issue that absolutely needs as much coverage as possible so people are educated on what the consequences of a "no" vote really are. Then the people of North Dakota can make an informed decision when they step into that voting booth on June 12th. The UND Alumni Association is doing what they can to educate people, but I believe all of us that have a vested interest in seeing UND succeed as an institution and as a Division I school have a responsibility to pitch in and do what we can to prevent the destruction of a place we hold close to our hearts.

I now yield the floor.

• Upvote 2

It has come to my (and other people's) attention that the new producer of the Mike McFeeley Show on KFGO 790AM (Fargo) and KCJB 910AM (Minot) has openly stated on air that he is voting "no" on the Fighting Sioux referral measure on June 12th. He also said he was going to encourage everyone he knows to do the same thing. Some of you may ask why we should care about this. I'll tell you why we should.

KFGO's programming has a wide reach across the state of North Dakota. What is said on the air can and does influence people, especially with an issue like this one where I think a great number of voters are poorly informed on all the potential ramifications surrounding this upcoming vote and on what it would mean for UND athletics and the entire institution itself. What McFeeley's producer (Dan Gunderson) is saying (even if it is tongue-in-cheek, which I don't think it is) could influence people to vote no, which would be a disaster for the University of North Dakota. This issue is critical to one of the state's biggest assets and it is highly irresponsible for some jack-wagon talk radio producer to openly advocate a position that threatens the vitality of that asset.

This link will allow you to e-mail the KFGO studio with your comments about the nickname and logo vote.

http://www.kfgo.com/email-kfgo.php

McFeeley's show runs from 2-5pm Central time. I suggest that everyone take a minute and let Mr. Gunderson know what you think of his smart-mouth comments about the referral vote on June 12th and explain why he shouldn't run his NDSU-loving mouth about it. If we send enough e-mails, McFeeley and his sidekick will have no choice but to talk about this instead of something else (Vikings Stadium, the Moorhead hash pipe ban, ect.). This is an issue that absolutely needs as much coverage as possible so people are educated on what the consequences of a "no" vote really are. Then the people of North Dakota can make an informed decision when they step into that voting booth on June 12th. The UND Alumni Association is doing what they can to educate people, but I believe all of us that have a vested interest in seeing UND succeed as an institution and as a Division I school have a responsibility to pitch in and do what we can to prevent the destruction of a place we hold close to our hearts.

I now yield the floor.

won't work, too many people who call in support the nickname.

That is what we have to change. Flooding their e-mail inbox will get their attention. If we aren't proactive, we won't win this fight.

You really think your fight is with NDSU fans? This whole name thing has nothing to do with NDSU. ALL the und alumni that I know are voting NO. They are hockey people and the name and hockey are what they care about. In winning any fight you need to know which battles to pick.

You really think your fight is with NDSU fans? This whole name thing has nothing to do with NDSU. ALL the und alumni that I know are voting NO. They are hockey people and the name and hockey are what they care about. In winning any fight you need to know which battles to pick.

My friend, my fight is with irresponsible people like Dan Gunderson that have access to a microphone on a radio station that has a wide reach across the State of North Dakota. It is Mr. Gunderson who picked this fight, not me. It is Mr. Gunderson that said he is encouraging Bison fans like himself to vote no, not me. I am simply informing all interested parties of what I heard and what they can do about it. It is the people that show up that write our history. It is the people that show up that determine our ultimate destiny. It is the people that show up that ultimately make the decisions that we all have to live with. The UND Alumni Association is doing their part; I am doing mine.

• Upvote 2

NDSU fans are tired of hearing about this topic

NDSU fans complain how much money this is costing

NDSU fans are encouraged by a Fargo radio station to vote no on measure 4

So.........

End it all NDSU fans.....vote Yes on measure 4.

• Upvote 1

Is it only NDSU fan that listen to KFGO? The original post was made to encourage people who support the change of the nickname to call in and get their reasoning out there. The young man on there openly has stated many times how he will vote and why, why is it that any one who calls in with a different point of view is trying to pick a fight with a Bison fan?

Dan I know you have a hard on for UND and want nothing more than to claim UND is dragging NDSU into this mess but there has been no UND official who has asked NDSU for help. I know as many NDSU fans who are voting "yes" on the issue as are voting "no". The only difference is the ones voting "No" openly share the same thought as Gunderson and want to discuss how they are doing it to hurt UND. When someone is explaining how they are voting and they start out by saying, I'm and NDSU fan, is why they are involved. Its all about if you support the name or not, it has nothing to do with being an NDSU fan unless your using that to justify why you are voting the way you are.

• Upvote 1

If anyone listens to KFGO for a mere 30 seconds, you will quickly find out that it is a flaming liberal station. Believe me, personalties at KFGO like McFeeley, Joel Heitkamp, Jack Sunday and Sandy Buttweiler are so far left, that when they take calls, if you disagree with them or are remotley conservative, they will cut you off immediatley....especially if you want the logo to stay.....plus KFGO now has the broadcast rights to NDSU sports so if you think they don't want the Fighting Sioux nickname to go away you are sadley mistaken.

If anyone listens to KFGO for a mere 30 seconds, you will quickly find out that it is a flaming liberal station. Believe me, personalties at KFGO like McFeeley, Joel Heitkamp, Jack Sunday and Sandy Buttweiler are so far left, that when they take calls, if you disagree with them or are remotley conservative, they will cut you off immediatley....especially if you want the logo to stay.....plus KFGO now has the broadcast rights to NDSU sports so if you think they don't want the Fighting Sioux nickname to go away you are sadley mistaken.

McFeeley had a nickname-at-all-coster on his show yesterday and he didn't cut him off. McFeeley has stated over and over that keeping the name and logo would hurt UND at this point; it's Gunderson that wants it to stay to screw over UND. Besides, as Tim O'Keefe has stated, it is way past the point of whether you like the name or whether it's "hostile and abusive" or not. The real issue now is, are you willing to handcuff the UND athletic department to keep the name and logo? It is time that the rational pragmatists like myself make our feelings known before it is too late. I think e-mail is the best way to go; you can't get cut off and if there are enough e-mails, it will make our point very loudly and very clear. It's also easier to e-mail than to sit on hold and wait to get on.

• Upvote 1

Statewide vote = Statewide consequences, regardless of any school affiliation

I've suggested as much to the NC$$.

• Upvote 1

Is it only NDSU fan that listen to KFGO? The original post was made to encourage people who support the change of the nickname to call in and get their reasoning out there. The young man on there openly has stated many times how he will vote and why, why is it that any one who calls in with a different point of view is trying to pick a fight with a Bison fan?

Dan I know you have a hard on for UND and want nothing more than to claim UND is dragging NDSU into this mess but there has been no UND official who has asked NDSU for help. I know as many NDSU fans who are voting "yes" on the issue as are voting "no". The only difference is the ones voting "No" openly share the same thought as Gunderson and want to discuss how they are doing it to hurt UND. When someone is explaining how they are voting and they start out by saying, I'm and NDSU fan, is why they are involved. Its all about if you support the name or not, it has nothing to do with being an NDSU fan unless your using that to justify why you are voting the way you are.

Trouble is they can't ask for help. After what RT did with NDSU starting it's transition. I know you don't want to hear it but maybe the chickens will come home to roost.

Trouble is they can't ask for help. After what RT did with NDSU starting it's transition. I know you don't want to hear it but maybe the chickens will come home to roost.

Get over it. That was almost a decade ago. NDSU seemed to survive just fine. I don't know how any of you can get anywhere carrying that huge grudge. Act like an adult instead of some kid who had his lunch money stolen. Did NDSU do anything to help UND through their transition? I don't think so. The schools are even. That whole "what RT did with NDSU starting it's transition" thing is just pathetic.
  • Upvote 3

So all of this is Roger Thomas's fault? That is really rich, son. :angry: President Kupchella was against moving up and Thomas followed suit. Looking back, it probably was a mistake, but it didn't hurt NDSU at all and you know that. NDSU was able to make it's own choice to move up and UND made the choice not to. If anyone was being pushy, it was NDSU. It was NDSU that mocked and ridiculed all the other NCC schools for not moving up when Chapman and Taylor said they should. Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the nickname mess and you know that. At least you should know that. :silly:

I'm sure that will matter! Your over inflated ego is working overtime.

You seem to overlook how badly Ron, Leigh, Doreen, Russell, etc., would take this "racist" slap from the good people of the state of North Dakota. I'm certain that not everybody in Mississippi or South Carolina supports the flying of the Southern Cross, but those flags fly as a result of the states' own electoral processes. Given the fact the NC$$ is run by egg-headed academics, I seriously doubt they would take a "No" vote lying down as it would impede their agenda to remove NA imagery from schools' athletic teams, and effectively marginalize their "sanctions" in a very public fashion. Sometimes, it just helps to plant the appropriate seeds.

I'm fairly certain that what happened 10 years ago under different leadership is not what is holding UND back from asking NDSU to give a public opinion.

Good gravy - really Roger Thomas - talk about beating dead horses - okay what about Whiskey Joe and his crew working behind the scenes to keep UND out of the Summit, going to the SBOE and getting UND moved out of Fargo, starting up programs that are mirror images of existing programs at UND, wasting millions of tax payer dollars just so Whiskey Joe and his cronies could claim to be the largest Universtity in North Dakota....The revisionists forget that at the time UND decided not to play NDSU it was because of NCAA rules that would have harmed UND's playoff chances. Oh and after a decade of losing to the Sioux in football ndsu was eager to continue playing UND now that they more scholarships and were recruiting at a higher level.

I'll say it again - any ndsu fan who votes no because of intent to harm UND is admitting that deep down they know ndsu cannot complete with UND on a level playing field, otherwise why would they admit they are casting a vote out of spite.

• Upvote 3

I'll say it again - any ndsu fan who votes no because of intent to harm UND is admitting that deep down they know ndsu cannot complete with UND on a level playing field, otherwise why would they admit they are casting a vote out of spite.

In the last 50 years, NDSUs had a +8 margin on UND in football wins. NDSU proved that it could not only compete with UND, but control a rivalry as well as do well on the national circuit (championships) that UND always struggled with. Another thing to take into consideration when dealing with NDSU fans, is that UND has done some less than classy moves over the years. In 1958(or 56), they managed to block the NDAC from becoming NDSU. Nearly succeeded in 1960(or 1958) but failed. Becoming something other than an Ag. school was a huge step forward for NDSU that would not do anything other than allow for another major (and completely different) school in North Dakota, and UND felt threatened by that?

UND refused to schedule NDSU in sports after 2003. Football, I can understand why UND wouldn't, I still would have played but that is just me. NDSU going to Montana in 2003 when we were still D-II eligible I believe, may have killed our playoff chances, but I think if you ask anyone who is a Bison fan, they will tell you that that win (which turned the ship around) was worth more than going to the playoffs. The other sports had no reason to quit playing. It is not like NDSU immediately gained a huge advantage regardless, it takes a bit of time for those scholarship advantages to start kicking in.

UND has no reason to have much for bad blood with NDSU other than NDSU's success on the football field. NDSU as an institution, as an alumni base, and as fans have plenty of reasons to not help UND at all. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, a big reason I will vote NO is because literally almost all of my UND friends and family really want to keep the name and take the consequences that go with it, and because if NDSU was faced with a situation where one option clearly helps the institution, and one option clearly hampers it, I believe UND's track record clearly shows they are more than happy to get in NDSU's way. In no way does that mean I think all of you would vote a certain way, but UND hasn't set a precedent of any sort of support for NDSU when we could use it, I do not see why I should feel inclined to support a University that could have put an issue to bed a long time ago but instead, buried it's head in the sand.

In the last 50 years, NDSUs had a +8 margin on UND in football wins. NDSU proved that it could not only compete with UND, but control a rivalry as well as do well on the national circuit (championships) that UND always struggled with. Another thing to take into consideration when dealing with NDSU fans, is that UND has done some less than classy moves over the years. In 1958(or 56), they managed to block the NDAC from becoming NDSU. Nearly succeeded in 1960(or 1958) but failed. Becoming something other than an Ag. school was a huge step forward for NDSU that would not do anything other than allow for another major (and completely different) school in North Dakota, and UND felt threatened by that?

UND refused to schedule NDSU in sports after 2003. Football, I can understand why UND wouldn't, I still would have played but that is just me. NDSU going to Montana in 2003 when we were still D-II eligible I believe, may have killed our playoff chances, but I think if you ask anyone who is a Bison fan, they will tell you that that win (which turned the ship around) was worth more than going to the playoffs. The other sports had no reason to quit playing. It is not like NDSU immediately gained a huge advantage regardless, it takes a bit of time for those scholarship advantages to start kicking in.

UND has no reason to have much for bad blood with NDSU other than NDSU's success on the football field. NDSU as an institution, as an alumni base, and as fans have plenty of reasons to not help UND at all. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, a big reason I will vote NO is because literally almost all of my UND friends and family really want to keep the name and take the consequences that go with it, and because if NDSU was faced with a situation where one option clearly helps the institution, and one option clearly hampers it, I believe UND's track record clearly shows they are more than happy to get in NDSU's way. In no way does that mean I think all of you would vote a certain way, but UND hasn't set a precedent of any sort of support for NDSU when we could use it, I do not see why I should feel inclined to support a University that could have put an issue to bed a long time ago but instead, buried it's head in the sand.

You like to take the bait don't you? I think you swallowed the hook too on this one. Three full paragraphs?

I am glad your true colors have finally come out. Be consistent.

In the last 50 years, NDSUs had a +8 margin on UND in football wins.

Why is it that NDSU fans are so proud of their history, but when it comes to records against UND, the timeframe is always limited? Are you proud of your history or only part of it? Seems like a lot of cherry picking.

Also, I see you decided to parrot your whole response from what other people taught you on bisonville the last day or two.