SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Time

geaux_sioux

56 members have voted

1. 1. Where will UND finish in the Big Sky?

• 1st, champs and hosting a home playoff game
    • 2nd, maybe hosting maybe not in the playoffs
    • 3rd, in the playoffs
    • 4th, maybe back in to the playoffs
    • 5th, not in the playoffs (probabaly)
    • 6th right where the BleachReport thinks we belong
    • bottom 6, we aren't who we thought we were

I'm sure the lack of a proven qb had nothing to do with it.

Very insightful. So you think if a kid is going to transfer from a school in his home state to get a 5th year of football and that wouldn't be a factor? You have a firm grasp of the obvious!

• Upvote 4

I'm sure the lack of a proven qb had nothing to do with it.

Did you figure that out all by yourself?

Did you think his list was made up of schools with returning starters? And do you think a school with a returning starter at QB is going to use a scholorhip to bring in a transfer?

• Upvote 2

Are you Mel Kiper or something?

How many UND scrimmages and/or pratctices were you able to take in this spring?

I have nicer hair than mel kiper.

I've seen enough good quarterback play to know a good one when I see one. I said the same thing about Brock Jensen when I saw him play in his first spring game. He should've started the first game, he didn't. When he did play you guys were able to make your run and actually score points and not turn it over. Hansen will probably throw for over 3000 yards this year, he is that good.

Hmm....And let me guess, you knew Ryan Leaf was going to suck. You knew Jimmy Clausen wasn't the next Joe Montana at Notre Dame. Want to pick my lottery numbers too? This transfer might end up being a good one, but it might be a good idea to ease up on the expectations before you see him play.

I have nicer hair than mel kiper.

Hmm....And let me guess, you knew Ryan Leaf was going to suck.  You knew Jimmy Clausen wasn't the next Joe Montana at Notre Dame.  Want to pick my lottery numbers too?  This transfer might end up being a good one, but it might be a good idea to ease up on the expectations before you see him play.

For the record I thought Clausen was over rated and had bad mechanics and too weak of an arm. I also thought Mertens and Goska would suck. Goska wasn't good but he got the job done some games and was a man possessed for 1.75 quarters against USD and in all 4th quarters last year. I've seen enough of this guy to know he's legit, since you haven't seen him in person maybe you should take my word for it

For the record I thought Clausen was over rated and had bad mechanics and too weak of an arm. I also thought Mertens and Goska would suck. Goska wasn't good but he got the job done some games and was a man possessed for 1.75 quarters against USD and in all 4th quarters last year. I've seen enough of this guy to know he's legit, since you haven't seen him in person maybe you should take my word for it

Once again, I will point out you haven't seen him play in a real situation yet other than mop-up duty, but thats fine. We are all entitled to our own opinion. That is what message boards are for.

Also, earlier you mentioned him throwing for 3,000 yards this season. You are thinking 3,000 in an 11 game season? That seems unrealistic considering UND is a run-first team. Averaging 272 yards passing/game seems like quite a bit when you consider things.

Once again, I will point out you haven't seen him play in a real situation yet other than mop-up duty, but thats fine. We are all entitled to our own opinion. That is what message boards are for.

Also, earlier you mentioned him throwing for 3,000 yards this season. You are thinking 3,000 in an 11 game season? That seems unrealistic considering UND is a run-first team. Averaging 272 yards passing/game seems like quite a bit when you consider things.

The 3,000 number must include playoffs. So an average of 200 ypg in 15 games is more than modest ;)

Not trying to start any trouble, but I'll pull on my Griz jersey for a minute and say realistically the biggest problem UND is going to have is stopping the better Big Sky teams, unless the secondary is infinitely better than when I saw them last year Montana, Montana State, EWU, and probably NAU will torch them through the air, unlike some FCS conferences the BSC has no qualms about throwing the ball around even if the run is working.

So even if Hansen does come in and perform well it will be up to the defense to keep them in games because I don't think it would be realistic to expect UND to be able to outscore some of these teams with their offensive production even if Hansen exceeds expectations.

That's my honest opinion, now back to Sioux mode.

I'm not sure if our pass defense has ever been outstanding. I can remember good individual corners and solid safeties but it's always been about the front seven from what I've seen. This next year will be the first time since Digger was playing that the front 7 will be up to snuff. This new version is the most athletic by far and the D-line is shaping up very well. The starters are monsters and hopefully the youngsters can turn into the same. I'm not sure if any team can stomach the type of smash mouth D we used to play and seem to be getting back to. They'll be able to assert themselves next year with an actual offense to give them rest and leads to work with. SACK CITY is coming back.

I'm not sure if our pass defense has ever been outstanding. I can remember good individual corners and solid safeties but it's always been about the front seven from what I've seen. This next year will be the first time since Digger was playing that the front 7 will be up to snuff. This new version is the most athletic by far and the D-line is shaping up very well. The starters are monsters and hopefully the youngsters can turn into the same. I'm not sure if any team can stomach the type of smash mouth D we used to play and seem to be getting back to. They'll be able to assert themselves next year with an actual offense to give them rest and leads to work with. SACK CITY is coming back.

Once again, I'd wait to crown them for anything until you see them controlling teams like Montana, Montana St., EWU, etc. While it is certainly possible, I'd imagine a roadbump or two could pop up as is to be expected for a team moving up and moving into a new conference.

I think a 4th or 5th place finish is a realistic prediction for North Dakota this season, and I think they could finish as high as 3rd provided we get better QB and secondary play. Emphasis on secondary play moreso than QB play.

Bradley was 4-3 as the starter last season. Two of those losses were to FBS teams (we were in a position to win one of those), and the other loss was to the GWC Co-champion....................

Regardless of who wins the job, whether it be Hanson or Bradley, I think that position is much improved from a year ago. If it is Hanson, great. He has great credentials. I have not seen him, but those who have here speak highly of him. As far as Bradley goes, he proved to be accurate and make good decisions. Now he has another year under his belt. Look how much better Goska was in the last half of 2011 compared to the last half of 2010 when he took over for Landry.

We won in a decent league last year with pedestrian QB play and atrocious secondary play. Improve the pass defense, and this team could be poised to have a very nice season..........................

• 3 weeks later...

Someone hinted or speculated that we were selling more season tickets this year. Is there actually any truth to that rumor? In the past how many season ticket holders do we have?

I think it was pure speculation but I have to assume that season ticket sales have jumped a little bit and no idea of what the usual season ticket holder count is. Since I live in Colorado I wouldn't buy season tickets but I know I will be flying up for the Montana game (and some hunting). Then road trip to Bozeman and short drive to Northern Colorado. I have to assume that attendance will jump whether it is season tickets or general admission.

Other than the UND sports site has there been a big marketing push up there for season tickets and UND Football in general? (billboards, radio, tv)

I think it was pure speculation but I have to assume that season ticket sales have jumped a little bit and no idea of what the usual season ticket holder count is. Since I live in Colorado I wouldn't buy season tickets but I know I will be flying up for the Montana game (and some hunting). Then road trip to Bozeman and short drive to Northern Colorado. I have to assume that attendance will jump whether it is season tickets or general admission.

Other than the UND sports site has there been a big marketing push up there for season tickets and UND Football in general? (billboards, radio, tv)

They haven't started the ticket push yet. Most of thei effort has been working with returning season ticket holders. I know that we just renewed our season tickets for football and hockey in the past week. The push for new season ticket holders starts after they finish the returning group because then they know what seats are actually available, it is hard to sell the tickets unless the people are able to actually pick their seats at the same time.

They haven't started the ticket push yet. Most of thei effort has been working with returning season ticket holders. I know that we just renewed our season tickets for football and hockey in the past week. The push for new season ticket holders starts after they finish the returning group because then they know what seats are actually available, it is hard to sell the tickets unless the people are able to actually pick their seats at the same time.

I actually got a call from them asking me if I wanted season tickets early in the year. I told them I only attend a couple games a year (since I work weekends and have to watch the kids on some weekends) so I declined....once the kids get a little older I will consider season tickets!! 1993 was the only year I attended all UND home games including the playoffs games too. (the NDSU game was the best game out of that season!!)

• Upvote 1

That sounds like an awesome trip! I'd love to do that. Depending on how the fall work schedule pans out, my family and I planning to load up and head to either the Montana St. or Northern Colorado game for a road trip.

As far as attendance goes, I predict a modest jump for this season. If we have a successful season, i could see 2013 being a big attendance year. Grand Forks loves a winner.

Hasn't been a ton of marketing for football tix as of yet. I've seen ads occasionally on WDAZ TV, WDAY radio, and about once a month in the Forum newspaper.

That sounds like an awesome trip! I'd love to do that. Depending on how the fall work schedule pans out, my family and I planning to load up and head to either the Montana St. or Northern Colorado game for a road trip.

As far as attendance goes, I predict a modest jump for this season. If we have a successful season, i could see 2013 being a big attendance year. Grand Forks loves a winner.

Hasn't been a ton of marketing for football tix as of yet. I've seen ads occasionally on WDAZ TV, WDAY radio, and about once a month in the Forum newspaper.

If Hansen is a star and we beat Sand Diego St and Portland the place will be packed