SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Time

geaux_sioux

56 members have voted

1. 1. Where will UND finish in the Big Sky?

• 1st, champs and hosting a home playoff game
    • 2nd, maybe hosting maybe not in the playoffs
    • 3rd, in the playoffs
    • 4th, maybe back in to the playoffs
    • 5th, not in the playoffs (probabaly)
    • 6th right where the BleachReport thinks we belong
    • bottom 6, we aren't who we thought we were

I'd like to think a top 3 finish is very attainable. We need to begin conference play with a bang by going into Sacramento and sending a message via crushing victory. If we can start there with some momentum it could be a very promising year! (Plus Sac St people have been very against UND since we entered the Sky so I would like to wipe them all over the field for those reasons too)

I say the top 3 will be the Montana's and Cal Poly with UND #4. If our QB situation is solid we win the BSC. But with a winnable road schedule (except MSU) we could sneak into the contender role.

I'm wondering why alot of UND fans are looking up at the Montanas like they're FBS teams. We've shown that we can play with anybody. Don't forget what that comeback against South Dakota may have done to the psyche of the players and coaches. And add to that the fact that the entire playbook will be at the disposal of the OC with a capable QB and depth everywhere and I think you'll see a nightmare offense to defend.

• Upvote 2

I voted 4th but with the core of last year's team back and with a dramatically improved passing game the Sioux (or whomever) will be a challenge to everyone they play...or at least have the potential to be. Injuries and the grind of playing conference games every week will be potential jokers.

I'm sticking with a 4th place finish at best, but if I see a much improved secondary we could finish higher. Our secondary needs to improve dramatically, and it could, if we are going to finish higher than 4th. Prove me wrong boys.

• Upvote 2

I'm wondering why alot of UND fans are looking up at the Montanas like they're FBS teams. We've shown that we can play with anybody. Don't forget what that comeback against South Dakota may have done to the psyche of the players and coaches. And add to that the fact that the entire playbook will be at the disposal of the OC with a capable QB and depth everywhere and I think you'll see a nightmare offense to defend.

I look up to the Montana's because its been their conference either one or both has been at the top almost every year. So they are the kings and its our job to knock them off one by one. (Funny how we do play them back to back).

I look up to the Montana's because its been their conference either one or both has been at the top almost every year. So they are the kings and its our job to knock them off one by one. (Funny how we do play them back to back).

What is crazy is we play them back to back for the next 4 years!! 2013 there is a bye week between games, but that is still pretty crazy how the scheduling worked out that way!!

I'm hoping/thinking our team will take a different stance then some of us fans seem to take. We don't have to play up to them, they have to play up to us. We need to look at it as the Big Sky is our conference now and they need to play at our level to have a chance. We need to be more like Rorschach

the black guy is the Montanas by the way

I'm predicting you are wrong on many levels. Montana and Montana St. are to be respected and used as a benchmark when looking at what your team is accomplishing. What makes you think that the quarterback is capable? A few spring practices? A spring game? At NDSU, we learned our lesson about trusting that back in the Mertens time. Until Bradley, or Hansen or whoever is playing QB plays consistently well against the Big Sky teams, it would be best not to assume anything.

I don't expect UND's offense to be a nightmare but it should do fine. I'll have UND get 4th or 5th in the Sky. Montana, Montana St., EWU, and Poly I think will all be in front of them. It should also be noted that UND's secondary couldn't stop a nosebleed last season. In the Big Sky, that could be a problem.

I'm predicting you are wrong on many levels. Montana and Montana St. are to be respected and used as a benchmark when looking at what your team is accomplishing. What makes you think that the quarterback is capable? A few spring practices? A spring game? At NDSU, we learned our lesson about trusting that back in the Mertens time. Until Bradley, or Hansen or whoever is playing QB plays consistently well against the Big Sky teams, it would be best not to assume anything.

I don't expect UND's offense to be a nightmare but it should do fine. I'll have UND get 4th or 5th in the Sky. Montana, Montana St., EWU, and Poly I think will all be in front of them. It should also be noted that UND's secondary couldn't stop a nosebleed last season. In the Big Sky, that could be a problem.

I've seen Hansen throw enough throws and watch his make correct reads and throw people open to know he's the real deal. I'm confident in my opinion from watching quality qb play and UND and even occasionally at NDSU (Mertens and Mohler not so much). Hansen has an ease about his throws that reminds me of Freund except Hansen is fully 6'5" and has a stronger arm than Freund did.

I do agree with this. We won a share of the GWFC title which is nothing compared to the Big Sky. We have a mountain in front of us in the Big Sky and need to take one step at a time once we beat the Montana's (both of them) we have reached the top until then we aren't close to the top....not yet.

I agree with Johnboy on this. Until we actually prove ourselves in the Big Sky we have nothing to talk about. Also, until our quarterback to be proves it on the field in a real game we better temper our optimism. It still will be fun to see what happens.

I've seen Hansen throw enough throws and watch his make correct reads and throw people open to know he's the real deal. I'm confident in my opinion from watching quality qb play and UND and even occasionally at NDSU (Mertens and Mohler not so much). Hansen has an ease about his throws that reminds me of Freund except Hansen is fully 6'5" and has a stronger arm than Freund did.

We will see. Like I said, some guys got it in practice. Some have it in games. Some have it in both. I wouldn't go claiming he has both when you haven't ever watched him play.

Looked up his stats. His "best game" was a 7-13 for 86 yards and a pick. In a 13-0 defeat against NC St. He very well could end up being good, but watching some film of him playing when the other team isn't prepared for him doesn't say much to me. He was a backup at North Carolina. He isn't a Rhett Bomar from Oklahoma to Sam Houston St. or anything like that.

If you want to be super excited about him thats fine, but claiming that he is going to be UND's Savior at QB just seems a bit over the top when he hasn't played a down of significant football for you, or for anyone in a long time.

I'm a bigtime Notre Dame fan. We pull in awesome recruits every year. Some of them end up great, some of them end up alright, and some of them end up bad. Just because someone was recruited to play for UNC, doesn't mean anything about them other than they were a good high school player.

Looked up his stats. His "best game" was a 7-13 for 86 yards and a pick. In a 13-0 defeat against NC St. He very well could end up being good, but watching some film of him playing when the other team isn't prepared for him doesn't say much to me. He was a backup at North Carolina. He isn't a Rhett Bomar from Oklahoma to Sam Houston St. or anything like that.

If you want to be super excited about him thats fine, but claiming that he is going to be UND's Savior at QB just seems a bit over the top when he hasn't played a down of significant football for you, or for anyone in a long time.

I'm a bigtime Notre Dame fan. We pull in awesome recruits every year. Some of them end up great, some of them end up alright, and some of them end up bad. Just because someone was recruited to play for UNC, doesn't mean anything about them other than they were a good high school player.

Are you Mel Kiper or something?

How many UND scrimmages and/or pratctices were you able to take in this spring?

I've seen enough good quarterback play to know a good one when I see one. I said the same thing about Brock Jensen when I saw him play in his first spring game. He should've started the first game, he didn't. When he did play you guys were able to make your run and actually score points and not turn it over. Hansen will probably throw for over 3000 yards this year, he is that good.

I've seen enough good quarterback play to know a good one when I see one. I said the same thing about Brock Jensen when I saw him play in his first spring game. He should've started the first game, he didn't. When he did play you guys were able to make your run and actually score points and not turn it over. Hansen will probably throw for over 3000 yards this year, he is that good.

I hope you are right d00d!

I hope your right as well. I would take consistency at 200 with limited turnovers. I think we'll still be a run first team but our offense needs to move the ball to keep the defense off the field this year. I know I am critical of our DB play last year but in fairness to them they were on the field way more than they should have been. If our QB next year can find a way to consistently move the chains, I'll be happy.

Also, Hanson had family ties to North Dakota as well as his grandfather lived in Fargo. He encouraged him to add UND to his list of schools to call. That is how the initial contact was made. After a visit was lined up, the business school and the direction of the program sold themselves.

• Upvote 2

I hope your right as well. I would take consistency at 200 with limited turnovers. I think we'll still be a run first team but our offense needs to move the ball to keep the defense off the field this year. I know I am critical of our DB play last year but in fairness to them they were on the field way more than they should have been. If our QB next year can find a way to consistently move the chains, I'll be happy.

Also, Hanson had family ties to North Dakota as well as his grandfather lived in Fargo. He encouraged him to add UND to his list of schools to call. That is how the initial contact was made. After a visit was lined up, the business school and the direction of the program sold themselves.

I'm sure the lack of a proven qb had nothing to do with it.