SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Supreme Court Rules against the NDSBoHE

Goon

I never said cult - in fact most could care less about sports - it is the Residents of GF that really support athletics (especially Hockey)

& have lived close to the U for over 30 yrs

From http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/16772-change-the-name-gaining-support/page__view__findpost__p__545775

This whole Alumni thing is almost like a cult

When & how did graduates become so compelled to spend their $ on their alma maters

Many alumni are very passionate about sports. They donate a lot of money to the school, including a lot for sports, because of their connection to the school which you obviously don't understand. They also buy a lot of tickets and attend a lot of games. And a lot of Grand Forks area residents are alumni.

Most colleges are run by the government, what's your point? And most private schools have a similar business model. My guess is that over half of the students have attended at least 1 game of some kind. Pretty much all college students I have known have attended at least 1 game, even the ones that don't like sports. Colleges also have music programs, and all kinds of activities that most students don't attend. If the school can approach break-even on athletics they are probably better off in that department than the music department or the theater department or several other departments.

My point with government comment is that some things like government/schools are not suppose to be run like a business. Breaking even is a happy day, the way it should be. As for the students attending game saying half attending one game I think is pushing it. I would bet that the number is much smaller.

My point with government comment is that some things like government/schools are not suppose to be run like a business. Breaking even is a happy day, the way it should be. As for the students attending game saying half attending one game I think is pushing it. I would bet that the number is much smaller.

It sounds like we agree about government/schools. UND is one of the lucky schools that actually makes a little money, in large part thanks to the REA. We disagree about students attending games. I think a lot of students attend at least 1 game just to see what all of the noise is about or because a friend drags them along.

It sounds like we agree about government/schools. UND is one of the lucky schools that actually makes a little money, in large part thanks to the REA. We disagree about students attending games. I think a lot of students attend at least 1 game just to see what all of the noise is about or because a friend drags them along.

I think we totally agree on government/schools. My first comment was meant as a sarcastic comment towards people who say government should be run like a business,though I could point out the problem with ideology such as that. As for students on the surface you would think they more would go but I really don't think that many do. Look at how few are ever at football and bb games, I'll leave out the total non-revenue sports. It would make for one interesting sociological survey. How about we split the difference and say maybe a quarter attend one game. Furthermore, I would say we probably would be on the same page on a lot of issues.

Yeah I remember now (not the U or Students) & now that I think about the context of the conversation, I was right on as usual :silly:

So Ralph belonged to a cult? Is that what you're saying? After all, he was an alumnus that also gave a lot of money to UND. That fits your description.

Don't you guys ever get sick of bickering about this topic? ??????

I am so sick of this whole thing I want to throw up. But it's so vital for the future of UND athletics and the vitality of the institution as a whole that we can and must continue talking about it. People need to know what the consequences are of keeping the name and logo at all costs before they vote in June and (presumably) in November. The Legislature needs to know that we want UND athletics to become a viable Division I member and that we will hold them accountable if they don't do what they need to do when they go to Bismarck in 2013. This isn't an argument over who should start at QB or what line combinations Hakstol should use. This is very serious business. Do you want UND playing the likes of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and NDSU or do you want us stuck playing Mayville State, Dickinson State, Sioux Falls College and UM-Crookston? That is what is at stake here. So, as sick and tired of the arguing and bickering that we all are, it is just too important of a matter to be left to chance.

Well since you insist on being here - chew on this. Any bison fan who votes No on this issue simply to hurt UND is admitting they are afraid of competing with UND on a level playing field. The drivel that spills over and out from bisonswille urging minions to vote no simply to stick it to UND and hurt their athletic programs are showing their true colors - which they already admit is yellow.

I disagree. Many are doing it because it is fun to watch people you don't like suffer. I personally will be voting "No" because A. my way of sticking it to UND, B. my UND fan friends and family have all made it perfectly clear they'd rather be the Sioux than be something else, even after I have informed them of the possible implications of staying the Sioux. No Big Sky, no playoffs, etc. Typical UND fans are going to vote to save the name. So if the friends and family of mine still want me to vote for the name, I will do so.

This has nothing to do with fearing UND's competition. Though watching a rival school fall on it's face would not be too bad either. NDSU fans win no matter what, either UND keeps their name and watches an athletic program fall apart, or UND loses a name and facebook explodes.

I disagree. Many are doing it because it is fun to watch people you don't like suffer. I personally will be voting "No" because A. my way of sticking it to UND, B. my UND fan friends and family have all made it perfectly clear they'd rather be the Sioux than be something else, even after I have informed them of the possible implications of staying the Sioux. No Big Sky, no playoffs, etc. Typical UND fans are going to vote to save the name. So if the friends and family of mine still want me to vote for the name, I will do so.

This has nothing to do with fearing UND's competition. Though watching a rival school fall on it's face would not be too bad either. NDSU fans win no matter what, either UND keeps their name and watches an athletic program fall apart, or UND loses a name and facebook explodes.

Then you, my friend, are part of the problem. Just go back to Bisonville where you belong. Troll. :angry:

By any chance do you and DaveK work at Stop and Go together?

• Upvote 1

Then you, my friend, are part of the problem. Just go back to Bisonville where you belong. Troll. :angry:

Trolling is making an effort to upset you. I am just giving my opinion/experience in dealing with a lot of people who are Sioux fans who have told me their opinions. Hardly trolling there bro.

Trolling is making an effort to upset you. I am just giving my opinion/experience in dealing with a lot of people who are Sioux fans who have told me their opinions. Hardly trolling there bro.

Then the people you have been speaking with are foolish and stubborn. I can assure you we are not all like that.

Then the people you have been speaking with are foolish and stubborn. I can assure you we are not all like that.

It is a big sample size. North Dakota people are foolish and stubborn. Obviously people on here are going to be smarter than that, but how many members of SS.com are from North Dakota and will vote? The people I've dealt with are your typical people who watch the games on TV a good chunk of the time, go to a couple games a year if they can, etc.

Not everyone is going to be like the people I've talked about it with, but remember, most people do not watch sports regularly enough to care to look into the details. To a lot of people it will be as simple as, "Should UND keep its name? Sure! Why not?!"

It is a big sample size. North Dakota people are foolish and stubborn. Obviously people on here are going to be smarter than that, but how many members of SS.com are from North Dakota and will vote? The people I've dealt with are your typical people who watch the games on TV a good chunk of the time, go to a couple games a year if they can, etc.

Not everyone is going to be like the people I've talked about it with, but remember, most people do not watch sports regularly enough to care to look into the details. To a lot of people it will be as simple as, "Should UND keep its name? Sure! Why not?!"

I am from ND and I will vote yes to retire the name. Also I live close to the Stop-N-Go on 19th ave. :p

• Upvote 2

Let's see - you admit almost daily that you want nothing but the worst for UND, you continually puff your chest about a team that most on this board can't stand, you comment on issues you have no clue about, you have no knowledge of UND history... your mere presence is the essence of trolling, you obviously have few friends and even less common sense which you demonstrate by your continued posting here.
  • Upvote 2

Let's see - you admit almost daily that you want nothing but the worst for UND, you continually puff your chest about a team that most on this board can't stand, you comment on issues you have no clue about, you have no knowledge of UND history... your mere presence is the essence of trolling, you obviously have few friends and even less common sense which you demonstrate by your continued posting here.

Wanting a team to fail doesn't mean you are a troll. I do not puff my chest about my team on here a whole lot. I comment on the issues I do understand, and ask questions about the ones I do not. I have a solid knowledge of UND athletics history, in fact probably better than most of my UND fan friends. The presence of a non-UND fan does not make them a troll. I started out as a troll, I've eased up on you guys quite a bit. Few friends? I don't know how you would have any idea how many friends I have, but thats nice. Lack of common sense? There are people on here who think sanctions won't impact UND. That sir, is a lack of common sense. Not pointing out the experiences that I have witnessed with friends/family (ND Residents of voting age) who are UND fans and what they think about the nickname.

How is talking about voting No on the ballot not doing just that? Troll.

I'm going to guess you'll have to call 55-60% of voting North Dakotan's in June trolls then. At least I'm voting "No" for logical/comical reasons....and to make some relatives happy. You got PLENTY of UND fans voting yes because they actually think it is a good thing for UND athletics. At least you can discuss with this "troll" about the implications of what the Nickname-Crowd wants. You can't have a conversation with them about it, because you will be on two different pages.

Seems someone should ask the NCAA if the UND county (Grand Forks county) votes to retire the nickname but the state votes to keep it, if the state would go on sanctions?

Why would it matter what Grand Forks county wants? People outside of Grand Forks go to UND games too I'd imagine sometimes. The NCAA is going after one school, and one only.

Wanting a team to fail doesn't mean you are a troll. I do not puff my chest about my team on here a whole lot. I comment on the issues I do understand, and ask questions about the ones I do not. I have a solid knowledge of UND athletics history, in fact probably better than most of my UND fan friends. The presence of a non-UND fan does not make them a troll. I started out as a troll, I've eased up on you guys quite a bit. Few friends? I don't know how you would have any idea how many friends I have, but thats nice. Lack of common sense? There are people on here who think sanctions won't impact UND. That sir, is a lack of common sense. Not pointing out the experiences that I have witnessed with friends/family (ND Residents of voting age) who are UND fans and what they think about the nickname.

I'm going to guess you'll have to call 55-60% of voting North Dakotan's in June trolls then. At least I'm voting "No" for logical/comical reasons....and to make some relatives happy. You got PLENTY of UND fans voting yes because they actually think it is a good thing for UND athletics. At least you can discuss with this "troll" about the implications of what the Nickname-Crowd wants. You can't have a conversation with them about it, because you will be on two different pages.

Why would it matter what Grand Forks county wants? People outside of Grand Forks go to UND games too I'd imagine sometimes. The NCAA is going after one school, and one only.

Al Carlson and his cronies will have their knives sharpened for NDSU next. When that time comes NDSU will need allies and I hope a lot of UND supporters remember NDSU grads like you that helped him destroy UND. You'll reap what you sow.

• Upvote 1

Al Carlson and his cronies will have their knives sharpened for NDSU next. When that time comes NDSU will need allies and I hope a lot of UND supporters remember NDSU grads like you that helped him destroy UND. You'll reap what you sow.

Very possible, but the SBoHE and NDSU haven't every been very good friends anyway, I can't imagine* Carlson doing anything too terrible to NDSU in comparison to what has already went on here in Fargo. Besides, I think after people see what Big Al does to UND, Carlson gets voted out.

*Just because I can't imagine it, doesn't mean it can't/wont happen.

Very possible, but the SBoHE and NDSU haven't every been very good friends anyway, I can't imagine* Carlson doing anything too terrible to NDSU in comparison to what has already went on here in Fargo. Besides, I think after people see what Big Al does to UND, Carlson gets voted out.

*Just because I can't imagine it, doesn't mean it can't/wont happen.

Maybe Carlson wants to combine UND and NDSU into one...kinda like that nutjob who wanted a stadium in Hillsboro and a bullet train from Fargo to Grand Forks. Leave the academics at UND but keep the athletics at NDSU.