SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Supreme Court Rules against the NDSBoHE

Goon

Oh, I don't know. I was wondering how Jesse, Ron, Russell, etc. would feel if the Sioux moniker was retained after a state-wide vote and all of their "hard work" of the past to erase it from UND as rendered useless by an electoral process. I think they'd find a pretty receptive "academic" audience in the NC$$ Executive Committee that North Dakota is maintaining a "racist" symbol in the moniker. As a practical matter, a state-wide sanctions policy could also be a backdoor way for the NC$$ to advance its agenda against other schools who are not currently on the H&A list by broadening the scope to target states versus schools.

I'd love it if they came out and said they were going to do this before the June vote, I just don't see it happening though....

Edit: by "they" I mean the NCAA, not Ron, Russell, etc.

I'd love it if they came out and said they were going to do this before the June vote, I just don't see it happening though....

Edit: by "they" I mean the NCAA, not Ron, Russell, etc.

No, they'd wait until after either/both elections. And I doubt there would be much fanfare beyond a press release, sort of how they dropped it on MS and SC. Moreover, I don't see the bedwetters who originally pushed this issue accepting the situation if the state effectively mandates that the moniker remain at UND. In fact, I find their relative silence of late on this matter to be interesting.

No, they'd wait until after either/both elections. And I doubt there would be much fanfare beyond a press release, sort of how they dropped it on MS and SC. Moreover, I don't see the bedwetters who originally pushed this issue accepting the situation if the state effectively mandates that the moniker remain at UND. In fact, I find their relative silence of late on this matter to be interesting.

Good point. It'd sure be easier if they threatened the statewide sanctions now though. Wouldn't have to worry about either vote handcuffing UND.

One thing that probably has been done right is that the SBoHE, Alumni Association, et al have probably said "We'll work with you now. Just shut the hell up for awhile." Having a chorus of the usual "academics" chiming in would only stoke things in a way the SBoHE would not want them. Eastern ND academics (maybe the East generally? East Dakota and West Dakota instead of North and South?) have generally be held in low regard in Western ND and that sentiment was really smoked with Measure No. 6 in 1980.

On another note, it looks like someone is trying to find a voice prior to June as my mom and one other (both signed the petitions) received phone calls addressing the following:

1. How will you vote
  2. Do you think the logo should remain the same
  3. Who has the power over the logo - legistlature, State Board of HIgher Ed, citizens, UND
  4. Who would you be most persuasive to discuss the hardships of the logo - UND President, UND Athletic Director, UND Coaches, UND Student-Athletes, UND Students, UND faculty staff
  5. How credible to you find as to the adverse effects of the logo - UND President, UND Athletic Director, UND Coaches, UND faculty staff
  6. There were questions of tribal relations

Looks like the lists of names with respect to the petition are the starting point for now.

On another note, it looks like someone is trying to find a voice prior to June as my mom and one other (both signed the petitions) received phone calls addressing the following:

1. How will you vote
  3. Who has the power over the logo - legistlature, State Board of HIgher Ed, citizens, UND
  4. Who would you be most persuasive to discuss the hardships of the logo - UND President, UND Athletic Director, UND Coaches, UND Student-Athletes, UND Students, UND faculty staff
  5. How credible to you find as to the adverse effects of the logo - UND President, UND Athletic Director, UND Coaches, UND faculty staff

Looks like the lists of names with respect to the petition are the starting point for now.

Well it's good to see something is happening. UND/SBHE needs to find out how to convince the masses this is terrible for UND, its students, and the state of North Dakota. They need to find out how to convince the masses that UND and its students are more important than a sports team logo. Hopefully the phone surveys (if they are being conducted by UND/SBHE) give them some good intel on how to go about accomplishing these things. North Dakotans are a stubborn people, but I like to think we can be wise as well.

One thing that probably has been done right is that the SBoHE, Alumni Association, et al have probably said "We'll work with you now. Just shut the hell up for awhile." Having a chorus of the usual "academics" chiming in would only stoke things in a way the SBoHE would not want them. Eastern ND academics (maybe the East generally? East Dakota and West Dakota instead of North and South?) have generally be held in low regard in Western ND and that sentiment was really smoked with Measure No. 6 in 1980.

1. How will you vote

I've heard from a credible source that the Odney Advertising Agency in Fargo has been hired to conduct research polls on people's attitudes on the name change, SBoHE, the ND Legislature, UND, and relationships with the sovereign tribes. I'm guessing that is probably related to the phone calls.

Seems like there is a plan to combat the hysteria out there. I would love to see the poll numbers, but I'm sure those will be kept private.