SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

According to a tweet from Armond Hawkins family he was on campus this weekend (twitter search Armond Hawkins).

If one of Coach Nurse's chestbumps was him this would end up being a huge weekend for the secondary. The kid has a brother who is a USC commit. Armond missed his junior year due to injury and that seemed to hurt his recruiting but was in contact with a lot of Pac10 schools during this season and had a few FBS offers. I believe he was our #1 CB target. I'm sure the opportunity for early playing time at CB is appealing to him.

According to a tweet from Armond Hawkins family he was on campus this weekend (twitter search Armond Hawkins).

If one of Coach Nurse's chestbumps was him this would end up being a huge weekend for the secondary. The kid has a brother who is a USC commit. Armond missed his junior year due to injury and that seemed to hurt his recruiting but was in contact with a lot of Pac10 schools during this season and had a few FBS offers. I believe he was our #1 CB target. I'm sure the opportunity for early playing time at CB is appealing to him.

He is scheduled to visit Idaho this weekend - hopefully, he is canceling that trip due to already making a decision.

Some heavyweight alum needs to step up to the plate

I think it is time we also get our Alumni Office to make this a top priority. Should have been included in the recent campoaign to raise $300,000,000. This is a facility we need to move forward and I don't believe I see the urgency and focus from Kelly, Faison and O'Keefe. The opportunities it repesents for Sports Medicine research, kinesiolgy, physiology and medicine are tremendous. Altru should be negotiating with Mayo if they are truly a Mayo partner to collaborate especially since the director of Sports Medicine, Dr. Michael Stuart, is a big hockey guy (3 kids-NHL). It would afford Mayo the hockey facilities with nearby medical facilities to expand what they do and put Mayo's name on soemthing new. They could also add concussion research to garner grant dollars. NHL might also be a willing partner. We are all hoping Dave Fennell will step up to the plate. The Sanford donation would have jump started it. The Altru donation is over years so can't do the same. Can't say for sure if the Sanford donation would have been structured differently. They wanted the Sports Med contract and I think would have made it happen to get their name on the building but I don't know that for a fact. With $300,000,000 there has to be at least $10,000,000 unrestricted funds to move this along. We can always continue fundraising inorder to replenish the Alumni fund. University folks tend to be too complacent and comfortable in the University settings. Lets get on this.

UND also needs to be positioning us to move to the FBS level if Montana, Montana State go or if a great opportunity arises. Not saying we move, just saying we need to position ourselves to do so. If we don't move then we have additional resources for our athletic programs as they stand.

• Upvote 3

He is scheduled to visit Idaho this weekend - hopefully, he is canceling that trip due to already making a decision.

According to Rivals he is a 3 star recruit and has offers from UC-Davis, E. Michigan, and Idaho. There was also some interest from Notre Dame, but in looking at their messgae board, their posters think he is more of a project and would rather not use a scholly on him. Utah was listed as a PAC 10 school that was interested at one point anyway...

Compared to other years the caliber of signee we are getting is much improved. Most of the recruits are being offered by other very good programs. It is very exciting. It would be unbelievable if we could land the Hawkins kid. I can't wait for next season. I think some redshirts are coming off. Our schedule at home is unreal next year. We still need to land a good runningback and maybe a LB.

It's either that or take him to a basketball game.... Seems to have worked well this weekend. I think it gives us an advantage since they'll see a bball game at most schools and we can offer them something at least different or novel if it's their first time

I think what is sometimes lost in the recruiting is that these kids are still students. While much of their time will be spent on school and football, they may want a chance to enjoy just living that college lifestyle. At UND, that often means going to hockey games. This goes back to that discussion some of us had earlier about bringing the kids to a hockey game.

Here's an example of one recruit who really enjoyed the game. I'm hoping there are a lot more who see what kind of support the city of GF and UND can offer if they put a winning team on the field/ice.

Dwayne brown also has a brother who plays cb at USC

Who would you consider the better prospect out of those two?

Read an article that Bobbit was the one who got the lion's share of the recruiting attention (I think article was from about mid-season), but the coach considered Kuska the team MVP by far. Probably because of his versatility. I think they would have both been good gets, but have heard Bobbit is a bit of a tweener and may be moving to LB for college. I really like Kuska's video, so I'm happy we got him. Honestly I would have liked to get both, with Bobbit moving to LB. I think Kuska maybe has more upside. It's so hard to tell.

Not only is Cole Reyes an all-around amazing athlete, but read the article below. It gives you an idea of the type of person he is as well. UND is lucky to have him.

Welcome to the board! Great article - I assume you are either a relative or friend of Cole's. Either way, welcome to the board - we are very excited to have Cole joining our FB team! He appears to be a very classy and mature young man!

This is the second year in a row where UND was reportedly recruiting two kids from the same Illinois high school, and we got one while the other went to SDSU (Golladay and Charles Ellmore last year).

And Golladay had no other offers, no rivals page and no stars..... :ohmy:

I digress. :)

FWIW, Bobbit apparently signed as a LB at SDSU. I still like Reyes the best of the 3, followed by Kuksa, as I stated a while back.

Hopefully we got this year's Golladay again in Kuksa and SDSU got their Elmore with Bobbit.

I know that we had a wish list put together earlier, so I thought I'd do a little refresher. Here is a want (somewhat realistic in my mind) list that I have by position and need.

QB - we only have one known offer out right now, and that's to Conor Rhoda. I haven't really seen enough of him to determine my thoughts, but the coaches must really like him and I'm a believer that we should try to have a QB in every class. Another option would be a PWO to someone like an Eric Bachmeier our of Kindred.

RB - As much as I'd like a Kani Benoit, I think that we're going to get Bridge Tusler out of Osseo. I really like him as a player, and he has "winner" written all over him. I don't think you will have anyone work as hard as he will to succeed. Also a wild card would be Layne Johs.

WR - even with Robertson on board, he will likely only have four years so he's not a redshirt candidate. I'd like to see Aeron Carr, and think we havea good shot at landing him, although I think he could also potentially play CB. I also believe that Frankie Felix out of AZ, who is listed as a RB, played mostly WR and could be a possiblity here.

OL - Assuming Dan Bell signs, we should be full here. However, I doubt they'd kick someone like Chad Fahning to the curb (although he is unlikely as he's interested in the U and the Ivies). I wouldn't mind seeing Carson Hogan as a PWO come in as well, since you can't teach size.

TE - A lot of good players with offers out there. I really like Noah Scarver, but to be honest I'd love to see him at DE. But if we can't land Scarver, I like Patrick Baldenegro out of AZ. He is friends with Frankie Felix I understand, so maybe we see them as a combo coming up to Grand Forks.

DT - With two already verballed, I think we are done here.

DE - My favorites are Lorenzo Melvin and Fred Beaugard, although it's hard not to like a lot of the others that we have offered. I'm really torn, but anyone on our offer list committing would be pretty good gets.

LB - Need a lot of help here. I really like Alipate and Redmond. Not sure how many UND is planning on signing, but these two I think are at the top of my list. Also really like AJ Goggin.

CB - With Ryan McKinley leaving UND off his favorites, and the offer list dwindling, I'm not sure who we pick up here. I just haven't seen much on any of these kids. This is where I wonder if Aeron Carr would help the most, or if Trev Hadachek would play CB for us.

S - Love Thurman. Really hope he joins the squad. Also really like Connor Strahm and Jesse Bobbit. I don't think we could go wrong with any of the kids on our list.

K/P - Seem to be good here.

What does everyone else think? Anyone I'm missing or anyone that I may have an overinflated sense of worth?

These two positions appear to have been locked up this weekend.

Maybe Thurman would make a good playmaking zeke as has been suggested? And maybe we got a verbal from a DB out of Cali? Also had at least one TE on campus which is a must get position this year.

Now we need to get a couple LBs and a WR and a RB to fill needs. After that its all about adding depth.

Not only is Cole Reyes an all-around amazing athlete, but read the article below. It gives you an idea of the type of person he is as well. UND is lucky to have him.

http://www.dailyhera...orts/711019584/

I see he is interested in law enforcement. good thing FU wasn't aware of his talents... They could have offered him a lot of experience in this area...

• Upvote 2

These two positions appear to have been locked up this weekend.

Maybe Thurman would make a good playmaking zeke as has been suggested? And maybe we got a verbal from a DB out of Cali? Also had at least one TE on campus which is a must get position this year.

Now we need to get a couple LBs and a WR and a RB to fill needs. After that its all about adding depth.

this looks like a great class so far. Hope we can still pick up a big RB, a TE, a couple of LBs (although I could see either of the safeties who just committed having a shot a playing LB, Kuska could put on some bulk when he stops growing...) and a good corner.