SiouxSports.com Forum

Safety in hockey talk on Hockey Day

tnt

I think Anthony LaPlanta talking about safety in hockey is kind of amusing. They talk about calling everything from behind, yet they refuse to condemn the hits when it comes from a Minnesota player. It becomes borderline when a Minnesota player does it, or they just call it a hard hit. The fact that they say they are starting to call it now, and show Kristo's hit from behind and the CC hit from behind on Rau, and fail to show the Minnesota hits from behind and those that went uncalled, only shows the reason that this issue isn't tackled correctly -- because it is only cheap or bad if the other team does it. There were plenty of hits from behind and knee to knee hits today in the action, but not once did I hear the word cheap or dirty. I guess they reserve that for teams that play against Minnesota, and since these players are all part of the Minnesota culture right now they won't stoop to that level. Until we get to the level where coaches say they deserved that penalty like Hakstol did with Kristo we are only going to see the same partisanship that we get with politics.

• Upvote 1

Well....LaPanta hasn't dropped the Kristo hit since it happened....but failed to say anything more than the penalties called on Alt and whoever the gopher player was that leaped into the back of MacWilliam and put his shoulder into his head.

They really are delusional around that program, from the fans to their media and their coaches. I get really sick of it. It does make me chuckle that we are only 5 spots behind them in the Pairwise, and both squads would be out of the playoffs if the season ended today.

I have to say that at least LaPlanta isn't quite as over the top as Mazzocco, Woog or Gorg. He at least can appreciate and express some virtues of Sioux hockey. I just wish they would be a little more responsible in pointing out things like checking from behind on both sides. When you have Gorg saying that punching the gopher player in response to the check from behind was crossing the line, then not saying anything about Hansen's slash in response to Blood's perceived (I didn't see the replay) shooting the puck towards the gopher player during the course of play, just smacks of rose colored glasses. You wonder why some gopher fans who only get that point of view thrown at them can have a distorted view of some of these skirmishes.

The homers in the MSP media market are epic!! which leads to the delusion that is the MSP sports fan in particular Gopher hockey. It is so bad that other media outlets are starting to call them out on it..

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/137359463.html

Today the Gophers control the WCHA media message... it is going to be funny when they start to whining about the Big 10. The Gophers had better get used to not controlling its destiny in terms of college hockey. Instead of Lucia driving the bus, he is going to be taking orders from "Red" and that is going to drive them nuts.

• Upvote 1

The homers in the MSP media market are epic!! which leads to the delusion that is the MSP sports fan in particular Gopher hockey. It is so bad that other media outlets are starting to call them out on it..

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/137359463.html

Today the Gophers control the WCHA media message... it is going to be funny when they start to whining about the Big 10. The Gophers had better get used to not controlling its destiny in terms of college hockey. Instead of Lucia driving the bus, he is going to be taking orders from "Red" and that is going to drive them nuts.

This is so spot on, i cant believe it!

Now do one on the goofer fan base which is the same as the announcers!!! I love it, so true!

They will want the trubune writers head for this one LMAO

The comment about goofs taking orders from Red is awesome also! Future looks fun......

I can't believe I just watched Minnesota get a goal disallowed (right call), and the three stooges....LaPanta, Woog, and Hankinson had no idea why until they looked up in the rule book. They watched it twenty times....and still thought it should be a goal.

They whined and moaned for ten minutes....LaPanta looks in the rule book.....ohhh.....they officials the call right....idiots....

• Upvote 1

I can't believe I just watched Minnesota get a goal disallowed (right call), and the three stooges....LaPanta, Woog, and Hankinson had no idea why until they looked up in the rule book. They watched it twenty times....and still thought it should be a goal.

They whined and moaned for ten minutes....LaPanta looks in the rule book.....ohhh.....they officials the call right....idiots....

Like them, I didn't realize that since the CC goalie was the first one to touch the puck after the gopher player touched it with his glove then it should be blown dead. If another CC skater would have touched it the play would have continued, but since it was the goalie, the play should be dead. So the goal was called off either because the refs think the goalie touched it, or because Ambroz (I think) was the first to touch it after Matson gloved it.

http://www.startribu.../137359463.html

Wow, great take by Reusse. It will suck not being in the same league as the gophers...but there are going to be some DEFINITE positives. Can't wait for the NCHC.

Wow, you guys are really dispelling the myth that nodak fans are obsessed with the Gophers. Thanks for that. :silly:

Actually, the funny thing is that the Gopher radio broadcast on Friday lead off with petty shots at UND - with a later follow-up 2/3 minute segment talking about the UND series in the pregame for CC. So, you might want to check that "Obessed" comment. FYI - I live in the cities and we are a hockey family unfortunately we have a split household as far as the Sioux/Gophers go.. I take it GPL is still broken..

Goofer fans on a Sioux website calling us obsessed, LMAO!

Thats irony....

Your own cities paper wrote about the situations we are talking about dummies!

Bring on the badgers............

Are you really sure you want to use Patrick Reusse as a source?

In all seriousness, the media in every market is biased towards the teams they cover. I've had this discussion with Bruce Ciskie (UMD play-by-play guy and Packer, Brewers, and Badger football fan) a number of times. He openly admits to being a homer at times, and I think Mazz and Shaver would say the same. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LaPanta is a UND fan.

There were many people who watch, follow, and cover the Gophers who were upset with Mark Alt's hit. It was a dirty hit. Just because it wasn't mentioned with the other hits FSN cited as examples in their broadcast, I don't think that means anyone condones the hit.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't anything that makes UND fans more knowledgable than Gopher fans. There are die hard and fringe fans in both fan bases. Statements to the contrary just make you sound silly.

Are you really sure you want to use Patrick Reusse as a source?

In all seriousness, the media in every market is biased towards the teams they cover. I've had this discussion with Bruce Ciskie (UMD play-by-play guy and Packer, Brewers, and Badger football fan) a number of times. He openly admits to being a homer at times, and I think Mazz and Shaver would say the same. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LaPanta is a UND fan.

There were many people who watch, follow, and cover the Gophers who were upset with Mark Alt's hit. It was a dirty hit. Just because it wasn't mentioned with the other hits FSN cited as examples in their broadcast, I don't think that means anyone condones the hit.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't anything that makes UND fans more knowledgable than Gopher fans. There are die hard and fringe fans in both fan bases. Statements to the contrary just make you sound silly.

Well at least UND fans show up to their games. Over the last five years you can see a lot of prime empty seats every game in Gopherland.

OF COURSE they're not gonna rip one of their own on Hockey Day Minnesota Minneapolis. I can't believe people are surprised by this. It's their job to be all things Minnesota Minneapolis hockey. If it wasn't, then the Bulldogs winning the national championship would have been the number one FSN/KFAN Minnesota hockey moment for 2011, not Kyle Rau scoring the state tournement winning goal. Duluth winning it all didn't even make the list to choose from! If they wanna believe that no one on a gopher sweater has never done anything stupid, let 'em I say. We all know that someone on just about every sports team in the history of competition has done something stupid in the field of play. But homers roll that way not matter what team it is. And I'm sorry to say it, but, that includes Sioux fans. YOU WILL NEVER see the footage of Ryan Stoa coming down with a two-hander across Brett Hextall's neck while Hextall is laying on his back in the gopher crease after being railroaded from behind into Alex Kangas. You'll never see that footage played on FSN. Get used to it and get over it. Gorg bugs the crap out of me. I like Lapanta. I think he has a good grip on the hockey world, and is a fair guy. But as Coach Hakstol so rightly put it on the coaches show last week, "Everybody works for somebody."

• Upvote 2