SiouxSports.com Forum

Safety in hockey talk on Hockey Day

tnt

Are you really sure you want to use Patrick Reusse as a source?

In all seriousness, the media in every market is biased towards the teams they cover. I've had this discussion with Bruce Ciskie (UMD play-by-play guy and Packer, Brewers, and Badger football fan) a number of times. He openly admits to being a homer at times, and I think Mazz and Shaver would say the same. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LaPanta is a UND fan.

There were many people who watch, follow, and cover the Gophers who were upset with Mark Alt's hit. It was a dirty hit. Just because it wasn't mentioned with the other hits FSN cited as examples in their broadcast, I don't think that means anyone condones the hit.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't anything that makes UND fans more knowledgable than Gopher fans. There are die hard and fringe fans in both fan bases. Statements to the contrary just make you sound silly.

Patrick Reusse is one of the most respected men in sports writing, love him or hate him he tells you the way it is. The great thing about Reusse is he backs everything up, he will call a guy out in his article and the next day he will be right back in that guys face questioning him.

Patrick Reusse is one of the most respected men in sports writing, love him or hate him he tells you the way it is. The great thing about Reusse is he backs everything up, he will call a guy out in his article and the next day he will be right back in that guys face questioning him.

Read what I wrote again. Every sports market has "homers" covering their teams. And we can agree to disagree on Reusse. Everyone I know can't stand him.

I'm a huge Twins fan and I'm so thankful that Reusse wrote that article about biased media in Minnesota. Dick and Bert have gotten so awfully homerish with the Twins its ridiculous. I don't mind Gorg. Knowledgeable about hockey, and does add a lot to the broadcasts. A lot of people don't like Pat in the cities because for the most part he tells it the way it is. I don't think a lot of writers would have the guts to call out a guy like Tubby Smith or the beloved Ron Gardenhire, but Reusse does.

Can't call out Schlossman for not ripping into players. Last night on the game blog he openly said that Mattson wasn't having his best game, and has done so a number of times with other players as well.

TH is a homer.....even through my green colored glasses. Like last night him calling out the SCSU player for a dive when he was actually hurt. Love his play by play, but a homer he is.

The whole point of this thread isn't to talk about homerism, because we all know that exists everywhere. But when you act like safety is your number one goal and fail to see or address hits from behind when it involves the team you are announcing for, you aren't helping move the safety of the game forward. I know fans of both teams will see things two different ways on occasion, but when it comes to announcing on all sides, the more you can call a spade a spade, the more likely hits won't be excused. I think Andrew MacWilliam expressed it best when he was saying that hockey is a fast paced game and bad hits are going to happen because you don't know what the other guy is going to do and you don't always have time to react. From my point of view if you can remove the hits like Kristo's and the two that charged MacWilliam from behind, you will at least be making progress.

Are you really sure you want to use Patrick Reusse as a source?

In all seriousness, the media in every market is biased towards the teams they cover. I've had this discussion with Bruce Ciskie (UMD play-by-play guy and Packer, Brewers, and Badger football fan) a number of times. He openly admits to being a homer at times, and I think Mazz and Shaver would say the same. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LaPanta is a UND fan.

There were many people who watch, follow, and cover the Gophers who were upset with Mark Alt's hit. It was a dirty hit. Just because it wasn't mentioned with the other hits FSN cited as examples in their broadcast, I don't think that means anyone condones the hit.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't anything that makes UND fans more knowledgable than Gopher fans. There are die hard and fringe fans in both fan bases. Statements to the contrary just make you sound silly.

One thing I have Not done in my life is go on ANY goofer only website and spew my anti goof talk!

So to answer you back!

Statements to the contrary just make YOU sound silly. :whistling:

Read what I wrote again. Every sports market has "homers" covering their teams. And we can agree to disagree on Reusse. Everyone I know can't stand him.

I'm sure that hatred is real big now that this truth was spoken about the "almighty hang a banner in December goofs world"

This is funny!

One thing I have Not done in my life is go on ANY goofer only website and spew my anti goof talk!

So to answer you back!

Statements to the contrary just make YOU sound silly. :whistling:

I have never either. Makes no sense to go there yet these posters come on here from other fan bases and they are shocked at what is said. Hellooooo anybody home? :huh:
  • Upvote 1

I'm a huge Twins fan and I'm so thankful that Reusse wrote that article about biased media in Minnesota. Dick and Bert have gotten so awfully homerish with the Twins its ridiculous. I don't mind Gorg. Knowledgeable about hockey, and does add a lot to the broadcasts. A lot of people don't like Pat in the cities because for the most part he tells it the way it is. I don't think a lot of writers would have the guts to call out a guy like Tubby Smith or the beloved Ron Gardenhire, but Reusse does.

Can't call out Schlossman for not ripping into players. Last night on the game blog he openly said that Mattson wasn't having his best game, and has done so a number of times with other players as well.

TH is a homer.....even through my green colored glasses. Like last night him calling out the SCSU player for a dive when he was actually hurt. Love his play by play, but a homer he is.

I've lived in Chicago, St Louis, and now Milwaukee. The coverage is about the same wherever you go. All homers, which is fine because they are playing to the fan base that usually watches or listens.

To your comment about Schlossman, I agree. But I also remember numerous times where Wally, Frank, Woog, ect have all commented when a certain player or the team hasn't played well. Just Saturday night Casey Hankinson commented numerous times early on that the Gophers didn't look sharp and lacked intensity. And Woog pointed out a few defensive errors, one of which almost allowed CC to tie the game. But for the most part, they aren't going to harp on issues or have a negative tone. That includes Schlossman.

The whole point of this thread isn't to talk about homerism, because we all know that exists everywhere. But when you act like safety is your number one goal and fail to see or address hits from behind when it involves the team you are announcing for, you aren't helping move the safety of the game forward. I know fans of both teams will see things two different ways on occasion, but when it comes to announcing on all sides, the more you can call a spade a spade, the more likely hits won't be excused. I think Andrew MacWilliam expressed it best when he was saying that hockey is a fast paced game and bad hits are going to happen because you don't know what the other guy is going to do and you don't always have time to react. From my point of view if you can remove the hits like Kristo's and the two that charged MacWilliam from behind, you will at least be making progress.

You bring up a good point. It would have been helpful to the case they were championing if they had mentioned the Alt hit. Completely agree with you there. I just don't think it was intentionally withheld because I've seen them bring up stupid hits by the Gophers before. In fact, they've done it twice with hits by Ambroz.

Some of your buddy trolls that come on here like you will remember their comments!

Sorry, but you're still making no sense.

I think my comments have been pretty fair, so I'd hardly label my contributions as trolling. If you have a legitimate point to make, I'd love to hear it, but I don't have any interest in childish banter.

Nothing would have made the point better (on Jablonski day) to younger MN hockey players than showing the 5 (or was it more) textbook cfb's the Gophers committed last weekend in Grand Forks Since only one was called, the others already never happened. The point made was that ;the dirtly Sioux need to quit this stuff that never happens from the kinder gentler Gopher nation. Showing gopher jerseys making cfb's would have made the point a whole lot better on Hockey Day

Nothing would have made the point better (on Jablonski day) to younger MN hockey players than showing the 5 (or was it more) textbook cfb's the Gophers committed last weekend in Grand Forks Since only one was called, the others already never happened. The point made was that ;the dirtly Sioux need to quit this stuff that never happens from the kinder gentler Gopher nation. Showing gopher jerseys making cfb's would have made the point a whole lot better on Hockey Day

I have the game on DVR. Name the FIVE.

I have the game on DVR. Name the FIVE.

I know of four, Parks, MacWilliam on Saturday, Blood and MacWilliam on Friday. One on Panzarella on Friday was close, but I would give the benefit of the doubt to the refs on that one.

I know of four, Parks, MacWilliam on Saturday, Blood and MacWilliam on Friday. One on Panzarella on Friday was close, but I would give the benefit of the doubt to the refs on that one.

I only saw two obvious checks from behind by the Gophers that weekend. One was called (Alt) the other wasn't. The only clear check from behind I saw from UND was Kristo's hit, and that was called. There were others that were close, but those are the only three I would have called.

The one on Blood is the one that Gorg said "that one wasn't as bad as the one by Kristo", and the one on MacWilliam is the one with about a minute or so left that LaPlanta called a hard hit that had MacWilliam limping trying to get off the ice.

Yep, must be me. No possibility you are wrong :rolleyes

Might want to check your tape on the hit on MacWilliam at 1:30 left. Come back here and tell me that wasn't a penalty, and we will see where the safety problem comes from. That might have been the most dangerous hit of the weekend, and if it wasn't a sturdy guy like MacWilliam getting hit, it could have resulted in an injury. Your attention probably wasn't drawn to it because it is like we said, the announcers just call it a hard hit. If that same hit would have been made against a gopher player, the announcers would have been calling bloody murder.

The one on Blood is the one that Gorg said "that one wasn't as bad as the one by Kristo", and the one on MacWilliam is the one with about a minute or so left that LaPlanta called a hard hit that had MacWilliam limping trying to get off the ice.

The hit on McWilliam (forget by whom, I'll have to rewatch) was the other Gopher hit that I felt was clearly from behind and should have been called. It was as dirty a hit as Alt's and Kristo's IMO. I wouldn't have called the hit on Blood a CFB.

Yep, must be me. No possibility you are wrong :rolleyes

The point was, in giving the "safety" talk and pointing out what needs to be eliminated from the game (hits that cause an injury like Jablonski"s), the talk would have had much more credibility it they'd shown the hits on Parks and McWilliam, which had a lot better chance of breaking necks than Kristo's, which could have caused a concussion but not a broken neck. Once clueless, always clueless. (I'm referring to the topic of this thread, not "homerism".)

The point was, in giving the "safety" talk and pointing out what needs to be eliminated from the game (hits that cause an injury like Jablonski"s), the talk would have had much more credibility it they'd shown the hits on Parks and McWilliam, which had a lot better chance of breaking necks than Kristo's, which could have caused a concussion but not a broken neck. Once clueless, always clueless. (I'm referring to the topic of this thread, not "homerism".)

I agree, they should have shown the Alt hit with the others, but disagree that it was dirtier than Kristo's. Both were from behind and both could have resulted in serious injury. Just because one player went into the boards more awkwardly than the other, that doesn't mean one hit was dirtier than the other. And I don't think they purposely left the Alt hit out as they have brought up a few of Ambroz's dirty hits more than a few times since the games in which they happened.