SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UNO Outdoors in February 2013

siouxnami

I hope UND doesn't sign up for this. It is overdone and there is no good to come out of it. WCHA points are tough enough to come by the way it is. So now lets get mother nature involved?? Plus wasn't it UNO that backed out of the game in Winnipeg? So now we are to go to Deans back yard. I think this is not a good idea at all.

• Upvote 1

I hope UND doesn't sign up for this. It is overdone and there is no good to come out of it. WCHA points are tough enough to come by the way it is. So now lets get mother nature involved?? Plus wasn't it UNO that backed out of the game in Winnipeg? So now we are to go to Deans back yard. I think this is not a good idea at all.

Sounds like it's a done deal to me, based on things I've heard, so I guess you're too late. :)

How can you say no good will come out of it? Yeah it's overdone, but I think there's lots of good that could come out of it. When UNO backed out of the Winnipeg game, it was said that we would team up with them for something else, and I think this is what that event is going to be. Makes sense. I'm totally up for going. I would guess this would be considered a non-conference game considering it's just a one-game thing, so no need to worry about WCHA points, just non-conference wins.

I would guess this would be considered a non-conference game considering it's just a one-game thing, so no need to worry about WCHA points, just non-conference wins.

It's a possibility that they would play one game outdoors and the other at Century Link Center (UNO's home rink) in the same weekend. If this is the case, both games could count as conference games, provided UND is scheduled to play at UNO in the last season of the WCHA (2012-13).

Dave

A good chance for two schools to play in a game that will probably get more media attention than a normal game...if anything, wouldn't it give UNO less of an advantage because it will probably change up their normal rituals before a game.

Time to Own Omaha. Will go if I can.

On the "overdone" note, I see Michigan and Ohio State played outside in front of 25000 in Cleveland. Considering Ohio State is averaging more like 4000 a game, that's a decent step forward. If they ever put their mind to it, they will be formidable. Hiring Osiecki was a good first step.

Time to Own Omaha. Will go if I can.

On the "overdone" note, I see Michigan and Ohio State played outside in front of 25000 in Cleveland. Considering Ohio State is averaging more like 4000 a game, that's a decent step forward. If they ever put their mind to it, they will be formidable. Hiring Osiecki was a good first step.

I hear 21000 of them were michigan fans, :whistling:

I wonder what the chances of Omaha above 32 degrees is in Feb... Certainly alot greater than Grand Forks.

Pretty good chance actually...average hi during February ranges from 35 degrees at the beginning of the month to 43 degrees at the end. Might make for some interesting skating conditions.

Tailgating before a hockey game....that would be awesome!! This game would be great!! You would get Sioux fans from all over the country to come to this game!! I'm serious! It this game happens, I will deffinitely be there!!!

I would hope it would be nice enough 8 hours south of Grand Forks in Feb to tail gate. That would be a fun game to attend.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to be negative about this because it's such a unique event, but it doesn't look like there's a good seat in the house. The only way to actually decently close is to sit on the ends, which I'm not particularly a fan of. Otherwise if you want a side angle you're going to be sitting really far away.

North Dakota has been interested in playing an outdoor game for years and welcomed the invitation from the Mavericks, UND athletic director Brian Faison said. Previously UND had talks with Minnesota about playing at Target Field in Minneapolis but couldn't come to terms.

http://www.startribu.../139326453.html

I'm bummed UND and UM couldn't work it out. A Sioux-Gopher game at Target Field would be amazing!

Outdoor hockey games on baseball fields are the worst. It's cool that it's outside, but the seats are so far away and low that there just really isn't many good seats. Football stadiums work much better. I would have been mad if UND-UM played at Target Field. The seating at TCF would be MUCH better and would hold more people. The one problem is that there's no alcohol sold at The Bank. Nothing a good session of tailgating can't fix, though :p