SiouxSports.com Forum

It's Time: Put up or shut up.

The Sicatoka

OK UND Football (including the key forces and benefactors looking to go to DI), everything you've asked for you've gotten:

- transition to Division I

- removal of the moniker so you can schedule the Big Ten teams with moniker policies

- removal of the moniker so you can host in NCAA post season

- an autobid conference to play in

We witnessed today that a rise to dominance at the FCS level can be done fairly quickly after transition.

OK, UND Football, you were dominant in DII before the transition and everything you need for dominance you now have.

You've gotten everything you've asked for, and some of it came at great cost.

Show us it was worth it and that you're serious.

my early vote for douche post of the year

• Upvote 2

Why would that post qualify for "Douche of the Year?" Sicka brings up a valid point, the administration wanted this nickname gone, it's gone… Time for the University to put it’s money where it’s mouth is… Time to spend the money necessary to win a FCS championship and get the Basketball teams to the Big Dance.

• Upvote 3

Really? Are you one of those duckie and bunny "fans" that thinks just having a team and calling it Division I is good enough? If that is the case, then YOU are the one that is up for that award. :silly:

Sicatoka is saying what I have been saying for months and months on this forum: Run this athletic department like a Division I program. Stop making excuses and the whining and crying about how much money it costs to get quality home games for football. Stop bringing in "powers" like SD Mines so we can keep more of the gate and balance the budget easier. I do not want to become a glorified junior college program in ND while the Ag College wins title after title and is considered "the school" in North Dakota.

Our transition is over July 1st, 2012. It's put up or shut up time!

• Upvote 1

I would say that it is now even more critical that they get the indoor practice facility done. Have to show that the football program is going to do everything first class like the hockey program, even if it will always be the #2 sport at UND.

• Upvote 3

give up the SD Mines games. if its money UND needs, take on some BCS schools that will pay UND to travel there. Some of them might even be games UND could win. Maybe not with the 2010 team, but who knows about the 2012, 2013 teams and on? Minnesota, Iowa State, Washington State and Kansas are all really big name schools that UND could maybe be competitive with... not sayin' just sayin'. And if UND can't be competitive with these teams, at least there would be a good payday. The 2011 team learned from the Fresno game, they turned the season around afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Biggest thing you can do right away is somehow get games against teams like dakota pointed out. Why? Because those games are televised to a wider audience. Get the schools name out there. Maybe win a few of the games or at least make them good games and prospects will start to hear about the school. Better recruits means a better team, better team means more money and the circle goes on.

• Upvote 1

It took NDSU a 6-5 '08 season, 3-8 '09 season, a 9-5 '10 season to get to the 14-1 season and a National title. This is after back to back 10 win seasons in transition. We are coming off of a 8-3 (5-1 FCS) season which is good but we have a long road ahead to get to 14-1 or better and walk off the field with a title. We have yet to play a FULL DI schedule unlike NDSU, we have an average to below average coach unlike NDSU. So if we want to do what NDSU did we do need to: #1 play all DI games, #2 shell out some cash on this sport. Hockey isn't the only sport where we can win a national title..football is the only other one we can do. Basketball is a lost cause because of March Madness so lets spread the wealth.

• Upvote 1

I don't see much wrong with Sic's post. It is no secret that it was the fb coaching staff and letter winners that were the big push behind the move to DI. (Where is most of that coaching staff anyways?) Now it is time for the administration, the letter winners and the fans to properly support the program so it can be a championship caliber team. We need to open up our wallets, get the facilities built and create an atmosphere of excitement around UND football. And we all need to play a part in this. We can't just expect that other people will make it happen.

The only part I don't really agree with is the loss of the nickname. That would have been an issue even at the DII level.

I don't see much wrong with Sic's post. It is no secret that it was the fb coaching staff and letter winners that were the big push behind the move to DI. (Where is most of that coaching staff anyways?) Now it is time for the administration, the letter winners and the fans to properly support the program so it can be a championship caliber team. We need to open up our wallets, get the facilities built and create an atmosphere of excitement around UND football. And we all need to play a part in this. We can't just expect that other people will make it happen.

The only part I don't really agree with is the loss of the nickname. That would have been an issue even at the DII level.

Numerous studies show that fundraising is more succesful if there is a specific need highlighted for the money. I am tired of hearing this on again off again indoor practice facility, new turf etc. I would consider a separate gift for this type of expenditure, but I pretty much hear zilch about specific needs at UND. Does anyone know the real story? Do they only approach the high rollers?

OK UND Football (including the key forces and benefactors looking to go to DI), everything you've asked for you've gotten:

- transition to Division I

- removal of the moniker so you can schedule the Big Ten teams with moniker policies

- removal of the moniker so you can host in NCAA post season

- an autobid conference to play in

We witnessed today that a rise to dominance at the FCS level can be done fairly quickly after transition.

OK, UND Football, you were dominant in DII before the transition and everything you need for dominance you now have.

You've gotten everything you've asked for, and some of it came at great cost.

Show us it was worth it and that you're serious.

Couldn't agree more. It's no secret where the push for DI came from. Many of these people also assured us that "we'd do transiton right (as compared to the school to the south)". - I don't even know what this means, but it was said many times. Well, in the words of Minnesota Fats, its time to "shoot pool, Fast Eddie".

Some of the heavy lifting has been done in the form of a great conference. However, with the exception of the volleyball team, our teams on the field and court have some serious work to do. Football - well there are whole threads on what needs to be done. Men's basketball has some talent but seems to be in a bizarre world where the players are calling the shots (when to redshirt, what shots to take). Women's basketball is well coached, but needs a serious talent infusion - we don't have any shooters for example. No one can win on the road.

I'm already so sick of hearing from Bison fans I could puke.

We need some serious work put in. I agree that alumni donations will help, but we are missing serious revenue from our lack of attendence (because of our lack of products to watch). If football averaged 11,000 instead of what it is there would be some serious extra cash. Same with basketball. Time to get to work.

If anyone doesn't agree with Sica's post, you better figure out what all this D1 push and ditch the nickname drama was for. And this has nothing to do with the hockey program no matter how some might try to spin it. UND FB is the the Big Sky. That's big boy FCS FB. Time for all involved with this FB program to figure that out.

Why would that post qualify for "Douche of the Year?" Sicka brings up a valid point, the administration wanted this nickname gone, it's gone… Time for the University to put it’s money where it’s mouth is… Time to spend the money necessary to win a FCS championship and get the Basketball teams to the Big Dance.

Because he is dropping everything on the other sports namely football. I believe that UND would still be faced with changing the name if they stayed at D-II. They (NCAA, Roy H. Saigo and Standing Rock Council) had a target on UND's back and they were not going to let UND keep the name no matter what!!

Now it is time for the administration, the letter winners and the fans to properly support the program so it can be a championship caliber team. We need to open up our wallets, get the facilities built and create an atmosphere of excitement around UND football.

Thank you Dan.

And yes, the move to Division I was primarily about ... football. The NCAA moniker policy jammed up football the worst. Football is the big dog of UND sports outside of mens hockey. UND has done everything to clear the path for the football big dog (DI, conference, eliminated possible sanctions).

It's time for the big dog to hunt.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Dan.

And yes, the move to Division I was primarily about ... football. The NCAA moniker policy jammed up football the worst. Football is the big dog of UND sports outside of mens hockey. UND has done everything to clear the path for the football big dog (DI, conference, eliminated possible sanctions).

It's time for the big dog to hunt.

For the most part, I agree with your comments. I'm curious what specifically you would like to take place, short-term and long-term?

For the most part, I agree with your comments. I'm curious what specifically you would like to take place, short-term and long-term?

I've heard lots of talk about the things the football alumni plan to do. I'd like to see the shovels in the ground. I'd like to hear a couple bold statements from the coaches, and administrators, about their long-term plan and goals for the program.

• Upvote 1

I've heard lots of talk about the things the football alumni plan to do. I'd like to see the shovels in the ground. I'd like to hear a couple bold statements from the coaches, and administrators, about their long-term plan and goals for the program.

Good luck with that one. You do know who are manning those positions!

Yes, we are all ears waiting to hear some details and visions for the program.