SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

Do you know what's wrong with Kleason?

Thanks alot for the update.

I am note sure. It looked like he had a soft cast on it. No good info on it as this point. All our best experienced OL need to be healthy now more than ever to protect the QBs with the lack of depth there. That goes without saying.

Congrats to true feshman Kodee Varner, running back from Baker, Mont., for winning the 2012-13 "Sioux Run." Don't have any more specifics other than he won it.

Ok. First practice in the books. Some great. some ok. some not so good.

QBs:

Hanson was solid and really picked the DBs apart for the most part toward the last of the light contact drills with the defense. It wasn't the DBs' fault either. The #1 offense looked good.

Hendrickson was shakey at the beginning, picked it up in the middle of practice, but then fell apart by the end of practice. The secondary had him baffled, forcing him to keep the ball too long so all he could do was tuck it in and run or take a sack (what would have been a sack on game day). He was inconsistent on throws, many way wide of target. Only first practice, though.

Mollberg looks like the real deal. For a true freshman, he looks confident, poised in the pocket and can run an offense. His throws were good and he got the ball off in under three seconds of snap.

Bartles looked like a true freshman should -- at first. He was off and seemed overwhelmed. But by the middle of practice he found his legs and his arm and was hitting recievers with much better consistency. Of note: he has got a booming distinctive voice under center -- unmistakable -- I can see him drawing many a DL offsides in the future.

Jake Hanson -- got limited snaps which surprised me. He looked like someone who went from North Dakota Class B to NCAA Division I. Not a criticism. Just an observation. He will get a baptism by fire this fall.

WR:

The Good: Hardin, Jameer Jackson, Tyre Ivery and Townsend.

The Bad: None

The rookies: Golladay, though long, thin and a bit stringy, has excellent hands and runs good routes. He impressed. Needs to bulk up a bit. Fletcher and Oliver also were noticable and had very few, if any drops, that were their fault.

Of Note: R.J. McGill did not practice (didn't appear injured, but may be nursing something minor)

DBs:

All looked ok. new Juco transfers at safety were good and but did nothing spectacular to stand out -- maybe that's a good thing. Messaureau had the lick of the day ( as much contact as you can dish out without pads on) when he broke up a pass by leveling, I think it was Ivery, to the ground on a crossing pattern toward the end of the day. This group is still a work in progess. Still too early to give a real good assessment.

RB:

Nothing earth shattering.

Jer Garman has bulked up noticeably but appears to have not lost speed.

Shaugabay had some nice runs and looks to pick it up with the experience he got late in games last year.

LBs:

Miles Jablonski looks like he's in tip-top shape and ready to tear it up on Saturday.

OL:

Kleason was still on crutches at practice.

DL:

Mike Edwards, E.J. Welch, Kyle Woodsmall are massive beasts on the line, especially Welch and Edwards. They will be players to keep an eye on, I think. It won't be hard to spot them.

That's all for now.

Can anyone attend practices like sit in the stands or do you have to peak from behind the bars on the northside of the stadium?

Can anyone attend practices like sit in the stands or do you have to peak from behind the bars on the northside of the stadium?

You can walz right in sit in the stands, stand on the track, walk the sideline. I suppose if it got to be too much, the AD guys might say something. But the stands are definitley open to the public to watch.

Thanks for the in-depth update - you must have been taking notes (lots of information)! Keep it coming!

I wish I would have. Could have been more accurate then, as far as who did what and to whom. I forgot my pen and paper. But then they would have probably mistaken me for one of the media guys! Wayne Nelson, Tom Miller, a Fargo TV station camera guy and Sweeney were all there. Even Jim Bollman and Coach Berg made an appearance.

You can walz right in sit in the stands, stand on the track, walk the sideline. I suppose if it got to be too much, the AD guys might say something. But the stands are definitley open to the public to watch.

Cool. I haven't sit in the stands at Memorial since the 2000 season.

My goodness the depth at WR is insane. The three freshman are LONG and all have great hands. Galladay looks the best so far, the quickest and most under control. All three will add valuable poundage this winter to those big frames.

Jameer Jackson is still huge but is noticeably quicker and faster and was a problem for any DB to cover all day. Hardin was burning some of the poor DBs and looks like he'll have a huge year. Bridges finally has figured out how to bring his hands with him every play and catch the ball consistently to go along with that elite quickness. All WRs made at least one nice play in 1 on 1's with the DB. (some DBs also made some great plays to add balance to the session)

Mollberg looks to have an edge on Bartels so far and throws the ball with more ease. Hendrickson has been ripping tight spirals on his throws and hopefully will improve on his consistancy. Hansen is clearly the man and has made some unreal throws.

The RB's look sharp but haven't put on any pads which is when they really make there mark. Varner looks like a taller Jake Miller and has a nice smooth explosive stride, he could be something in a year or two.

• Upvote 3

My goodness the depth at WR is insane. The three freshman are LONG and all have great hands. Galladay looks the best so far, the quickest and most under control. All three will add valuable poundage this winter to those big frames.

Jameer Jackson is still huge but is noticeably quicker and faster and was a problem for any DB to cover all day. Hardin was burning some of the poor DBs and looks like he'll have a huge year. Bridges finally has figured out how to bring his hands with him every play and catch the ball consistently to go along with that elite quickness. All WRs made at least one nice play in 1 on 1's with the DB. (some DBs also made some great plays to add balance to the session)

Mollberg looks to have an edge on Bartels so far and throws the ball with more ease. Hendrickson has been ripping tight spirals on his throws and hopefully will improve on his consistancy. Hansen is clearly the man and has made some unreal throws.

The RB's look sharp but haven't put on any pads which is when they really make there mark. Varner looks like a taller Jake Miller and has a nice smooth explosive stride, he could be something in a year or two.

Does this have the making of a playoff team? If not this season then maybe next season?

Does this have the making of a playoff team? If not this season then maybe next season?

They're practicing like they know something special is about to go down. Fast, crisp, hard. Totally different than last year. I think heads will be turning.

Just based off of how they practice and the talent level, they would crush last years team

They're practicing like they know something special is about to go down. Fast, crisp, hard. Totally different than last year. I think heads will be turning.

Just based off of how they practice and the talent level, they would crush last years team

This is good stuff. I know the excitement level of UND football is definately going to return and if the SDSoM's game isn't into the 9-10k in attendance, I know that next week (Potato Bowl Week) the rafters should be filled with at least 11-12k. This is the start of our run in the FCS. All DI games count towards a playoff berth, a National Title is NOW our ultimate goal. Our turn starts NOW!

• Upvote 3

It would be real nice if Varner tore up the Montana's in a couple years :)