SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky TV rumor

gfhockey

Visiting other boards, sounds like the big sky is going to sign a contract with root sports and one game of the week on Versus.

Montana has had a huge push to get lights installed before next season. I took that as interest in FBS and thereby allowing evening televised games (which the WAC would have required). If Montana truly doesn't have to go to FBS to gain a much more substantial TV package, that would certainly help keep both Montanas in the Big Sky and FCS.

If you read the entire Fullerton Interview link posted by Smoggy last week there were two questions posed to Fullerton in reference to future TV contracts in the Big Sky:

One reason the Pac-12 expanded was that it wanted a better TV deal. Is that on your mind as you drive league expansion? Do you foresee some sort of Big Sky TV national contract?

You’re probably going to see us signing a new media deal within the next 30 days.

Does that include a national TV deal for football?

I have a non-disclosure deal that would cost me my first-born child if I disclose anything about what we’re talking about. Let me say I’m very excited about what we’re talking about. There are people in that industry recognizing that we may be the conference that begins to fill that space in the West.

I'm not sure why it's hard for people to believe that the Big Sky could land something along the lines of a national TV package.The MEAC and SWAC are both on ESPNU while Division II even has a nationally televised game of the week on CBS College Sports. With the BSC having a presence in so many major media markets in the West, it only makes sense.

Link to the entire Fullerton interview:

http://sacstatesports.com/2011/10/14/sac-state-sports-interview-qa-with-big-sky-commissioner-doug-fullerton/#more-1189

• Upvote 1

Any TV is great exposure- any tv that can that has the potential to get into a fair amount of homes is great exposure...but I don't consider any of the mentioned networks to be news to shout from the mountain tops about, like an NBC, ABC, CBS - ESPN or ESPN 2. Those are the power networks. I am interested to see what becomes of Versus now that it is becoming NBC Sports as it is a Comcast property. Still it's not in as many homes as the ones I mentioned but if we could get there that would be a step forward for the Big Sky.

• 2 months later...

The Big Sky has always seemed to work better TV deals than the MVFC. I am not sure if that relates to the Sky covering a less populated area than the MVFC or what.......

I'd venture the guess that Big Sky teams are more on the minds of the average western fan than MVFC teams are on the minds of the average eastern fan.

Big Sky teams are competing for "brain time" in their footprint with the Pac-12, MWC, and WAC.

MVFC teams are competing for "brain time" in their footprint with the SEC, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, Big East, Conf USA ...

I'd venture the guess that Big Sky teams are more on the minds of the average western fan than MVFC teams are on the minds of the average eastern fan.

Big Sky teams are competing for "brain time" in their footprint with the Pac-12, MWC, and WAC.

MVFC teams are competing for "brain time" in their footprint with the SEC, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, Big East, Conf USA ...

I think that is exactly the issue.