SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let's see ...

IUPUI is pronounced ooh-eee-pooh-eee. So is SIU-E ... soo-whee

.... shouldn't it be pronounced eee-oo-pooh-eee?

Finally.... using my (cow) college degree...

4 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

.... shouldn't it be pronounced eee-oo-pooh-eee?

Finally.... using my (cow) college degree...

Ooh-eee-pooh-eee is what the morning crew on KFGO calls them. 
They might actually be saying ewe-eee-pooh-eee. 

And you cow college guys know all about ... ewes. :0   :D 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Wow.
Just ... wow. 

It's effectively July 1, 2017. That's a deadline to announce a transition (DII to DI). So, no one is making that date right now unless they've said nothing and will be hand-delivering surprise paperwork to Indianapolis by close of business Friday.  

If a DII announced they'd more likely start the five year process on July 1, 2018 ... 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 ... Yes, on July 1, 2023, they'd be a DI. 

The deadline for DII moveups is actually June 1st.  Same with FBS moveups.  Add another year.  But the DII to DI transition time was moved to four years instead of five, because the five year transition was too onerous.

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The deadline for DII moveups is actually June 1st.  Same with FBS moveups.  Add another year.  But the DII to DI transition time was moved to four years instead of five, because the five year transition was too onerous.

So, correcting my prior statement, announce now and the four year transition starts 6/1/2018 ... 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 ... so on June 1, 2022, today's DII can be a DI. 

People scoff at the thought of the Horizon going to 14.  But even going to 12, IPFW and RMU are the favorites.  At 14, going to SIU-E and UMKC would bookend Missouri metros for the Horizon.  GCU and NMSU are possible for 14, but long term they would be looking elsewhere.  UMKC has always wanted the MVC or Horizon for a step or two up.  Going back to the Summit would be a major defeat for its strategy.  SIU-E now is in the same conference ( MAC) as Mizzou for its main sport, men's soccer.  The Summit simply doesn't have the pizazz to lure SIU-E

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So, correcting my prior statement, announce now and the four year transition starts 6/1/2018 ... 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 ... so on June 1, 2022, today's DII can be a DI. 

Douple is probably speed dialing DII's that would help IPFW and W Ill, like Lindenwood, S Indiana, and Bellarmine.  Douple has ruled out football, so Grand Valley St and Wayne St are off limits.  It's the Slummit until Doofus is gone.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Call me greedy, but I'd like a conference where a super-majority of the schools are named either:

University of < state name >
or
< state name > State University

In this case Omaha needs to change their name.  Nebraska State it is!

Remember how the bisonvile and bunny boards were just humming about how much better the Summit was now than the Horizon or MVC. They talked up a storm about how The Summit could poach teams the other way.  Where is that talk now?  If we offered the entire autobid money to them alone, it might work.

On the other hand, been ostracized by them and here in saying the Summit was a powder keg ready to blow.  That we should steer clear of it.  Just saying it needs outside forces, our existing friends, to stamp out the lit fuse like forest fire fighters from the Bitterroot Range.

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

this is true big north!!!!

big north west

montana

montana state

idaho

portland state

denver (oly)

seattle (oly)

big north east

und

ndac

usd

sdsu

omaha (oly)

umkc (oly)

12 all sports 8 fb

kennedy will get this done in two years.

Like that, but we need to preserve the WAC too, as 24/2 gives much less dollars than 24/3.  When the WAC and Big Sky complete more DII transitions, some more schools can be added from them.

EWU has been working on expanded facilities for years and are so much ahead of PSU.

35 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Remember how the bisonvile and bunny boards were just humming about how much better the Summit was now than the Horizon or MVC. They talked up a storm about how The Summit could poach teams the other way.  Where is that talk now?  If we offered the entire autobid money to them alone, it might work.

On the other hand, been ostracized by them and here in saying the Summit was a powder keg ready to blow.  That we should steer clear of it.  Just saying it needs outside forces, our existing friends, to stamp out the fuse.

You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Douple has came out and said that he doesn't feel the need to put on a big show to announce a new member. The Summit is fine. IUPUI brought nothing to the table. They had a decent women's basketball program and that was it. The Summits RPI will still be in the top half for both men and womens basketball. People need to relax. 

7 minutes ago, SanDakotaState said:

You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Douple has came out and said that he doesn't feel the need to put on a big show to announce a new member. The Summit is fine. IUPUI brought nothing to the table. They had a decent women's basketball program and that was it. The Summits RPI will still be in the top half for both men and womens basketball. People need to relax. 

So you are denying that IPFW, Oral Roberts, and W Illinois are not panic stricken?  Where's your Source?

Show proof of your inside information.  Do you have a video of Douple's daily visit to a Chicago deep dish pizza joint.

Maybe if the Summit uses the $1.5 million exit fee from IUPUI to pay the OVC exit fees of SIU-E and EIU, which are in a state that is basically bankrupt.  But they may need much more money to pay air travel costs to the Dakotas.

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So you are denying that IPFW, Oral Roberts, and W Illinois are not panic stricken?  Where's your Source?

Show proof of your inside information.  Do you have a video of Douple's daily visit to a Chicago deep dish pizza joint.

Maybe if the Summit uses the $1.5 million exit fee from IUPUI to pay the OVC exit fees of SIU-E and EIU, which are in a state that is basically bankrupt.  But they may need much more money to pay air travel costs to the Dakotas.

Where is your source that they are panic stricken?. You have the burden of proof here.

20 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Mickey Garry and Jeff Kolpack, both of whom already posted their columns.

"We've been through a bunch of these," Douple said. "The key thing -- and it's hard for us to tell people this --is to not panic. We've here before. This is not our first rodeo. We're going to have a very good year coming up with eight schools. We've done this with eight, we've done it with nine, we've done it with 10"

"Whenever we've had membership changes in the past, while disappointing, we've always come out of it stronger -- history shows that," Douple said.

"It's been a 25-year pattern," he said. "That conference[The Horizon League] wouldn't exist without poaching our teams. We have to be concerned but we're not going to make outrageous statements about what we're doing next. We're going to do our business like we always have and we're going to come out of this better."

The Big North concept is solid on paper but in reality you have a school like Montana that is extremely conservative when it comes to realignment. They have had opportunities to leave, yet they stick around. That gives me doubt since they are the big piece that you would need to get to make it work. 

I'm not sure who is panic stricken in the Summit, IPFW maybe since they are out on the island now but they don't really have anywhere to go. People like to talk about the Horizon or MVC getting bigger but neither of those leagues make bold moves. The MVC especially has been pretty small-time in their realignment philosophy. Maybe that changes but both of them made the most predictable and safe choice in who they just added. 

42 minutes ago, tnt said:

Link?

Read back a few pages.

Douple was simply tone deaf on issues.  He gave an interview to Kolpack and he said Kelley's crew wanted the Sioux nickname to be an issue for conference affiliation.  The Herald rushed in to say that Douple was lying and Bresciani wanted his head in the next review.  He doesn't understand fake news and politics well enough to be a commissioner.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

On the other hand, been ostracized by them and here in saying the Summit was a powder keg ready to blow.  That we should steer clear of it.  Just saying it needs outside forces, our existing friends, to stamp out the lit fuse like forest fire fighters from the Bitterroot Range.

I also recall you saying there was absolutely zero chance of UND joining the Summit/MVFC because they were going to the WAC despite people telling you they were actively pursuing it. 

2 hours ago, SanDakotaState said:

IUPUI had a men's soccer team, which now puts both soccer and baseball at the bare minimum of schools that sponsor the sport. Those are the two sports that keep the league's autobids alive. I still can't tell if Douple is capable or lucky, seems like a nice enough guy but does little to instill confidence. Past actions aren't exactly comforting either. 

Summit  should see about bringing on the two Cali schools as affiliates for football.  Would get the Sky down to 11 for football (play 8 of 10 opponents each season) and the sky teams could play non cons with Davis and Poly rather than having nonconference games against conference teams. Could allow some time for Sky to get a viable 12th team and open door to some teams leaving for Great North in a few years.  At that point the Cali teams could return as affiliates to a downsized Big Sky. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I also recall you saying there was absolutely zero chance of UND joining the Summit/MVFC because they were going to the WAC despite people telling you they were actively pursuing it. 

IUPUI had a men's soccer team, which now puts both soccer and baseball at the bare minimum of schools that sponsor the sport. Those are the two sports that keep the league's autobids alive. I still can't tell if Douple is capable or lucky, seems like a nice enough guy but does little to instill confidence. Past actions aren't exactly comforting either. 

Well UND won't be joining a Summit League if it doesn't exist come 2018.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:53 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Kolpack wants the NCC back.  He seems worried.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4289881-kolpack-rate-old-ncc-may-come-back-dead

Too many schools don't have baseball or men's soccer for that to work.  FCS football at Minnesota schools seems impossible.

21 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are the links for SV's statements about real concerns from Kolpack and Garry. 

My concerns:

1. IPFW is now on an island and can not feel warm about it. Their main Summit rival is gone to the Horizon. And they now sit in the heart of the Horizon. 
  2. IPFW now wields tons of power in the Summit. They have both men's soccer and baseball. If they go they put two Summit men's sports under the minimum of six teams, meaning the MBB autobid is on a two-year clock. 
  3. Tom Douple. Seeing that IPFW can put the Summit on a two-year clock, hearing Douple say "DIIs" are a backfill option tells me he is clueless. And he admits he was blindsided. Heck, I knew this was coming for a week and all I do is surf various posting forums. As I've already shown, a DII announcing a move to DI today is not a full DI school until June 1, 2022. That's unworkable. You can say "exception" but the NCAA has given Douple that in the past once already (baseball). Douple asking for an exception again screams incompetence to (you, me, and) the NCAA and who knows if the NCAA will grant another exception to someone that can't manage his league. 
  4. IUPUI leaving destabilizes what was starting to be a stable group. As I've said, IPFW can't be waking up feeling comfortable this morning on their island. And WIU is now closer to the periphery of the footprint and there's an open OVC slot now too (Valpo to MVC which started this chain reaction). And no matter what they say, ORU will always have one eye on its options to the south (as I'm sure their BB loves the Dakotas in January).  

All that said, SIU-E is not a solution; UMKC is not a solution; it's more of the same.
A DII moving up (and full DI no sooner than June 1, 2022) is not a viable option at this time. 

All of that said, my best hope is that either Douple just plays the fool (he's doing marvelously) and has a real master strategy (history would point to otherwise), or, UND was delivered to the Summit to lure in the western, research university flank to align with the northern, research university flank of the Big Sky the next time the Summit shakes (and that time is now). 

• Upvote 1