SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'd take the chance to beat the Gophers in a Bowl game any day over playing Sam Houston State for a natty.

NC or a chance to beat the Gophers which UND is 0-20 against? I pick the NC over one game, especially in a sport where we can win a NC unlike the FBS.

1 hour ago, dakota said:

Seriously, what's wrong with staying FCS? It is D-I in every sport. Unless the P5 break off, FCS is probably the only D-I sport NDSU will win a national title in. Besides hockey, FCS is UND's only other national championship possibility, as well. Basketball and volleyball titles were sacrificed to move up. Baseball, softball, soccer, etc were not even possibilities in D-II. Unless Sioux Volley is right about at least part of the Big Sky moving together, both UND and NDSU will be best served to remain FCS under the current system.

What else does the football team have to prove at the FCS level?  Since becoming playoff eligible in 2009 (six years), they've won the championship 4 times, working on a fifth, and made the semi finals in the other year.  There overall record in that time is 77-10 with something like 8 fbs wins.  If they were located closer to some of the G5 conferences, they would most likely be receiving interest to move up from those conferences.

34 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

What else does the football team have to prove at the FCS level?  Since becoming playoff eligible in 2009 (six years), they've won the championship 4 times, working on a fifth, and made the semi finals in the other year.  There overall record in that time is 77-10 with something like 8 fbs wins.  If they were located closer to some of the G5 conferences, they would most likely be receiving interest to move up from those conferences.

They were eligible starting in 2008, missed the playoffs the first two seasons (2008-09), lost in the quarterfinals the third (2010) and have won 4 in a row since (2011-14).

34 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They were eligible starting in 2008, missed the playoffs the first two seasons (2008-09), lost in the quarterfinals the third (2010) and have won 4 in a row since (2011-14).

Thanks for the corrections as I was quickly trying to find info.  Looks like their DI football record going into this year was 117-30.  The Bison have shown that they are the team to beat in FCS, essentially since they've joined.  There isn't a whole lot else they can do at this level.  How long will their fan base stay interested in FCS football if they continue to "dominate" like they have been doing?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Just a difference of opinion. I think a chance to beat a "name school" in a Bowl Game > FCS Championship. Both are "one game."

For all intensive purposes the Gophers don't have a shot at a College Football Championship either.:D

Your last paragraph is so spot on. Unless it's the 60's the Goofs won't have a chance at the FBS playoffs.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Just a difference of opinion. I think a chance to beat a "name school" in a Bowl Game > FCS Championship. Both are "one game."

For all intensive purposes the Gophers don't have a shot at a College Football Championship either.:D

I worked with a few Bison players a few years ago. We were talking about the upcoming game against Kansas St and he referred to it as "The Biggest Game they'd ever play in." 

So to at least a couple guys who played, even a regular season game against one of the serious football schools trumps an FCS title. 

I'd be thrilled to see NDSU in FBS. Nothing left to do in FCS.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I worked with a few Bison players a few years ago. We were talking about the upcoming game against Kansas St and he referred to it as "The Biggest Game they'd ever play in." 

So to at least a couple guys who played, even a regular season game against one of the serious football schools trumps an FCS title. 

Are you a bison fan again now? 

50 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Next years Iowa game should easily trump the Kansas St game. 

6 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Unless Iowa blows them out, then it's KSU and Central Michigan.

No one was mentioning if anyone won or loss.

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Unless Iowa blows them out, then it's KSU and Central Michigan.

I think Iowa's coaching staff is leaving to take another job after the Rose Bowl, and will take all 22 starters with them, so if NDSU does win it won't be a big deal. Any good FCS team would beat them. Remember, NDSU only schedules FBS teams that are in down cycles that they should beat.:cool:

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

I think Iowa's coaching staff is leaving to take another job after the Rose Bowl, and will take all 22 starters with them, so if NDSU does win it won't be a big deal. Any good FCS team would beat them. Remember, NDSU only schedules FBS teams that are in down cycles that they should beat.:cool:

And UND only schedules FBS teams that don't count.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

with the way Iowa played today, it certainly won't be a big deal if ndsu beats them.  They should've played in the Pansy Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl.

On December 31, 2015 at 4:28 PM, JohnboyND7 said:

Did you help them with the ballot signature mess? ;)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

On the status of Idaho football:

Dave Southorn @IDS_Southorn

Staben said independence is "not very attractive." Has spoken with Big Sky about contingency plans in case Sun Belt doesn't renew.

The Big Sky acceptance contract for Idaho says that Idaho must be in the Big Sky for football at a later date.   The  NCAA rules for FBS moveups must first be changed.  Expect when Kelley is out the door for this story to blow up.

12 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Big Sky acceptance contract for Idaho says that Idaho must be in the Big Sky for football at a later date.   The  NCAA rules for FBS moveups must first be changed.  Expect when Kelley is out the door for this story to blow up.

You think the rules will be changed within the next couple years?

22 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

How does the deregulation of the conference championship games impact Idaho?

Wouldn't expect it to change the Sun Belts view of the Vandals.  Idaho is the championship game would be diastrous.

The Big 12 might have to take two now:  Cincy and now UCONN is getting more press.

20 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You think the rules will be changed within the next couple years?

Absolutely.  Expect the NCAA will propose full changes this year to make it easier to move to FBS.

The G5 will protest, but there are holding back others and making the NCAA vulnerablet to lawsuits.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Absolutely.  Expect the NCAA will propose full changes this year to make it easier to move to FBS.

The G5 will protest, but there are holding back others and making the NCAA vulnerablet to lawsuits.

I wonder if bowls will starts to go away since there were teams with 5 wins (including my Nebraska Cornhuskers) playing in them. A G5 playoff, has to become a reality soon. 

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I wonder if bowls will starts to go away since there were teams with 5 wins (including my Nebraska Cornhuskers) playing in them. A G5 playoff, has to become a reality soon. 

More bowls would be needed if the top FCS teams move up.  The real money is with the CFP, especially if it expands to 8 or 16.

The G5 will not accept a G5 only playoff.  A Houston-Florida St Peach Bowl is much better ratings than a G5 playoff.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

More bowls would be needed if the top FCS teams move up.  The real money is with the CFP, especially if it expands to 8 or 16.

The G5 will not accept a G5 only playoff.  A Houston-Florida St Peach Bowl is much better ratings than a G5 playoff.

App State and Georgia Southern did win their bowl games, its a shame no one outside of those fanbases can name the bowl, and score.