SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Some honest questions:

1. If and when Mussman is let go at the end of the season, how long does UND take to search for and name a new coach? Allowing for FCS playoffs, Bowl games, etc., or can it be done more quickly?

2. Does having lame duck assistants trying to recruit result in a better or worse outcome than an intact staff coming off a 2-9 or 3-8 season? Or, are both options so bad it doesn’t it matter?

3. Is UND willing to pay both Mussman’s buyout and considerably more for a new outside hire than they are currently paying Muss? A new outside hire will likely require more money to bring with him 2 coordinators who will need somewhat higher dollars than current staff is making…and possibly a couple more position coaches. Or, do you think we can get "the guy" without significantly more dollars than Mussman is making now?

4. Will UND fans be happy if, in late November, it’s announced that a new UND coach is named from current staff…..Coach Luke, Coach Josh, Coach Danny, etc. and the rest of the young staff stays largely intact?

I’m asking these seriously. I am starting to believe the pressure on Faison will be to “do something.” I am starting to think he might, just not sure they are going to pony up the dollars to make the change worth it. Nothing against Luke, Josh or Danny, but if it does become one of those guys where do you see the program in 3 years?

1. If we want a good coach, I think we need to take the time to do so...rushing this is just like getting Mussman again in my mind.

2. I think you recruit with the new coaching staff...Again, rushing a decision at this point will only bite you in the end. Get the staff in place, develop a recruiting strategy for the next 5 years, and start executing.

3. I hope the University understands that an underwhelming product in Football will be a net drag on our budget going forward. We have tons of upside potential ($$) if we can get Football righted again and maintain or improve upon the other money-maker in the UND family.

4. No...there doesnn't seem to be enough trust in the current staff and to pull one of these guys out to be HC is the same process we took when Lennon left in my mind...Too short-sighted and not paying enough attention to the details of a quality headcoach (See #1).

All very good questions....

Some honest questions:

1. If and when Mussman is let go at the end of the season, how long does UND take to search for and name a new coach? Allowing for FCS playoffs, Bowl games, etc., or can it be done more quickly?

2. Does having lame duck assistants trying to recruit result in a better or worse outcome than an intact staff coming off a 2-9 or 3-8 season? Or, are both options so bad it doesn’t it matter?

3. Is UND willing to pay both Mussman’s buyout and considerably more for a new outside hire than they are currently paying Muss? A new outside hire will likely require more money to bring with him 2 coordinators who will need somewhat higher dollars than current staff is making…and possibly a couple more position coaches. Or, do you think we can get "the guy" without significantly more dollars than Mussman is making now?

4. Will UND fans be happy if, in late November, it’s announced that a new UND coach is named from current staff…..Coach Luke, Coach Josh, Coach Danny, etc. and the rest of the young staff stays largely intact?

I’m asking these seriously. I am starting to believe the pressure on Faison will be to “do something.” I am starting to think he might, just not sure they are going to pony up the dollars to make the change worth it. Nothing against Luke, Josh or Danny, but if it does become one of those guys where do you see the program in 3 years?

1. I hope Faison has already sent out several "feelers" to determine who would be interested and what it's going to take to get them here.

2. New staff should evaluate the offers made by the current staff and push forward with the ones they like. The new staff should probably already have many of their own connections from their previous job(s) too.

3. I hope Faison is willing to spend what it takes to win (which is more than they're spending now) unless the plan is to disband football, which would be a huge negative for his resume and legacy.

4. No. I wouldn't be overly disappointed if a couple were willing and able to stick around as position coaches, but if one of them is promoted to the HC position the program will be a perennial cellar dweller in the BSC for many years to come.

• Upvote 1

If we being in a current FCS coach they would be able to try and bring some of their current recruits with them to UND.

Keeping Kotelnicki as special teams coordinator would be great since he proved to basically be one of the best in the nation already. I also like the idea of Schleusner staying because of his dominance in Illinois recruiting. I'm just not sure how these guys would handle demotion. Maybe they would be more up for it if their pay stayed the same since we should be paying the next staff a lot more?

Curious about Title 9 stuff. If we increase overall football coaching salaries by $150,000, do we need to increase salaries in some of the women's sports too?

I don't think so. The coaches of UND's top three women's sports are already paid quite well compared to other conference coaches, and in some cases compared to their male team counterpart. Brewster actually made more than Jones last year.

I have written an email to Faison. If you look at my previous posts, I suggested that was the best way to voice your opinion. I was just curious to see if bringing a sign would actually happen. I agree that there are better ways to voice your opinion. But if someone were to bring a sign calling for Muss to be fired, would you be mad at hat person? Would you disagree with them?!!

I wouldn't be mad at them but I would be embarrassed to think that someone in Muss's family might see that. If it was my family member they were targeting I would probably try to destroy the sign and kick the person in the a$$ that had it.
  • Upvote 2

I think the best approach to the Fire Muss sign is to stay classy and let it play itself out on the field and not the stands...my opinion only.

For one I will be at the game on Saturday. Regardless of the outcome I will be a happy man. Why? The end of #17 in the defensive backfield and the end of a pretty underwhelming class outside of a couple players. I will cheer for these guys all game and look forward to most of the seniors being replaced. I also want to see Greg Hardin off in person. I hope they all play their best home games ever for the record.

• Upvote 4

If we being in a current FCS coach they would be able to try and bring some of their current recruits with them to UND.

Keeping Kotelnicki as special teams coordinator would be great since he proved to basically be one of the best in the nation already. I also like the idea of Schleusner staying because of his dominance in Illinois recruiting. I'm just not sure how these guys would handle demotion. Maybe they would be more up for it if their pay stayed the same since we should be paying the next staff a lot more?

I agree with you on Kotelnicki as a special teams coach.....that's it. He has no business as a head coach. I have not been impressed with Schleusner in any phase of the game. He has no business being an offensive coordinator. I would rather see a better job done recruiting our home state, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I had the chance to meet him after the Sacramento State game. He was quite arrogant for someone who just coached an offense to 7 points. The rumor on the team is that no one respects him as a person or as a coach. I can't think of one coach who deserves to stay. As has been mentioned earlier, Lotysz was one of the best coaches they had and Mussman managed to screw that up too.

I agree with you on Kotelnicki as a special teams coach.....that's it. He has no business as a head coach. I have not been impressed with Schleusner in any phase of the game. He has no business being an offensive coordinator. I would rather see a better job done recruiting our home state, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I had the chance to meet him after the Sacramento State game. He was quite arrogant for someone who just coached an offense to 7 points. The rumor on the team is that no one respects him as a person or as a coach. I can't think of one coach who deserves to stay. As has been mentioned earlier, Lotysz was one of the best coaches they had and Mussman managed to screw that up too.

Luke has done a tremendous job on the recruiting side in Illinois. Bartels, Kuska, and Golladay have already shown they can contribute now. Reyes, Palandech, Sharp, Cheatom and Norberg look like they have some very good potential as well.

I wouldn't be mad at them but I would be embarrassed to think that someone in Muss's family might see that. If it was my family member they were targeting I would probably try to destroy the sign and kick the person in the a$$ that had it.

If you do not want your life being played out on a public stage don't chose a career that puts you there.

I've emailed Mr. Faison.

I did after the original debacle: Sioux Falls.

I did after this year's Montana debacle. (I said fire and use the bye week to bring in an interim head coach.)

Heck, I've said it to Tim O'Keefe in person!

I'm not sure what else to say.