SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley to resume retirement process

IrishSiouxFan

Here are a couple of stories of interest.

The Next Little Big Horn: Black Cloud Says NCAA’s Actions Discriminatory Against Spirit Lake Sioux.

Carlson Says “The Battle Is Not Over Yet” on Fighting Sioux Nickname.

Is Al trying to say that he and the senate majority leadership do not have control over the members in their respective caucuses?

What a steaming pile......... :angry:

I was wondering about that, look I am not happy about losing the Fighting Sioux nickname but it's appears that it's time to move on, we can't win this... Even if Spirit Lake sues the NCAA I can't see this changing, they aren't going to back off their stance... What's to stop the Big Sky Conference from pulling the conference affliation? All of the lawyers on site said that there is no way UND can win this. I wonder if the NDSBoHE will just go ahead and retire the name.

So the NCAA possibly gets sued by one of the tribes that its asinine policy was intended to protect and that's not a good thing? It is possible, I suppose, that the NCAA could even look more silly than it does now should this sort of thing transpire.

So the NCAA possibly gets sued by one of the tribes that its asinine policy was intended to protect and that's not a good thing? It is possible, I suppose, that the NCAA could even look more silly than it does now should this sort of thing transpire.

If this lawsuit goes to court it's going to get ugly, some buffoon over on the herald site already blame the REA for this.

As much as people hate on Al Carlson, he has a much better political understanding of the Big Sky situation than the media or most of the people on this board accept.

Straight and simple, the Big Sky situation is certainly a bluff. That's one thing that Kelley and Carlson would both agree on if either was honest. If the media ever got a story from the Weber State or Southern Utah Presidents and their views on the issue, those type interviews might turn this state upside down.

Dalrymple has too many "friends" that he needs to protect to really tell us the truth about the whole fiasco.

If the anticipated Spirit Lake lawsuit results in restraining orders against both the SBoHE and the NCAA, the Big Sky issue is moot for another year and thereafter die for the lie it is.

Once again Star is "plugged in" to the minds of both Weber State and SU presidents. Here's what we do know. Al Carlson should keep his mouth shut. If there are any BSC schools that want UND out, this is the kind of talk that will get it done. I don't see how Spirit Lake has any standing in a lawsuit, but if they get a restaining order and delay both SBoHE and the NCAA this could also give the BSC a reason to pull the plug on UND.

So Al says "that day is not here yet" in regards to retiring the name. So when is that day here??? Once we are kicked out of the Big Sky and the list of schools that won't play us reaches triple digits? He says he doesn't want to harm UND...he's having a tough time making me believe that...

Al's continuous idiocy does more harm to UND than Myles Brand ever did. And yet some people insist on following "The Pied Piper" .... :glare:

Once again Star is "plugged in" to the minds of both Weber State and SU presidents. Here's what we do know. Al Carlson should keep his mouth shut. If there are any BSC schools that want UND out, this is the kind of talk that will get it done. I don't see how Spirit Lake has any standing in a lawsuit, but if they get a restaining order and delay both SBoHE and the NCAA this could also give the BSC a reason to pull the plug on UND.

Let it go Al. When you have someone as influential in the Alumni Association as Earl Strinden coming out saying it's time, you know it is time.

As much as people hate on Al Carlson, he has a much better political understanding of the Big Sky situation than the media or most of the people on this board accept.

Straight and simple, the Big Sky situation is certainly a bluff. That's one thing that Kelley and Carlson would both agree on if either was honest. If the media ever got a story from the Weber State or Southern Utah Presidents and their views on the issue, those type interviews might turn this state upside down.

Dalrymple has too many "friends" that he needs to protect to really tell us the truth about the whole fiasco.

If the anticipated Spirit Lake lawsuit results in restraining orders against both the SBoHE and the NCAA, the Big Sky issue is moot for another year and thereafter die for the lie it is.

Are either you or Al are in the inner circle of the Big Sky Presidents??? The fact that anyone at this point in time would put Big Sky membership or scheduling for our athletic teams (including hockey) in jeopardy over this tells me your priorities are mixed up to put in mildly. The Big Sky won't be affected by any lawsuit or injunction. Othere teams won't have to schedule us based on a lawsuit or an injunction. Kelly has always been honest as far as I can see and perception, rumors or inuendo don't change that opinion. Doesn't mean there was no room for improvement but the fact is he was smart enough to see we have been screwing a dead horse. If Al Carlson has nothing better to do and he thinks this will get him a few votes, more power to him. If you want to get in line behind Al go ahead. I always thought the only legal action with some clout would be Native Americans taking legal action against the NCAA because they are discriminated against as a culture in that schools can't name athletic teams after them but can with caucasian cultures such as the Irish, Nowegians, Germans etc. IUND will stay out of it and proceed with retiring the name. If some Native group has success with the NCAA then we can always reconsider, but don't put UND athletics at any disadvantage by wasting anymore time on this issue. We need to focus on recruiting, building facilities, educating our students and winning championships.

• Upvote 2

Al's continuous idiocy does more harm to UND than Myles Brand ever did. And yet some people insist on following "The Pied Piper" .... :glare:

So will the NDSBoHE go ahead and retire the name with or without the support of the legislature?

What are the penalties for breaking the state law?

The OP of this thread indicates that the SBoHE has instructed UND to continue planning for the retirement and to complete that planning by the end of this calendar year. Then what? I assume they're hoping that the law will be repealed by Nov.

What are the penalties for breaking the state law?

The OP of this thread indicates that the SBoHE has instructed UND to continue planning for the retirement and to complete that planning by the end of this calendar year. Then what? I assume they're hoping that the law will be repealed by Nov.

I don't know if anyone knows what the answer will be... I assume that the name will transition .

If kelly ever tries to attend a sporting event & tries to speak to the crowd, I hope the crowds chant Lets Go Sioux until he walks away in shame

Is that ever a good idea. What the hell would that accomplish? Kelly is no more resposible for this debacle than you and I. We were here when all of this came down and he wasn't. Cowboy up and admit we just didn't get the job done. This is the kind of crap that will hurt recruiting and make us look like a bunch of middle school kids who didn't get to turn the lights down at their first boy girl dance. Don't suggest we do something that makes us look pathetic to the rest of the world. If you have a problem with him make an appointment and go talk to him.

• Upvote 1

& you people who tried to turn this into a partisan politics issue (still are) Maybe Al is smarter than you give him credit :D

I would be willing to bet Al gets re-elected or elected to another office (As well as Dalyrimple)

You guys keep it up & you will be lucky to have any Democrats in a few more yrs :silly:

& you people who tried to turn this into a partisan politics issue (still are) Maybe Al is smarter than you give him credit :D

I would be willing to bet Al gets re-elected or elected to another office (As well as Dalyrimple)

You guys keep it up & you will be lucky to have any Democrats in a few more yrs :silly:

Um..... that would be you.

we just didn't get the job done
Not we - folks like you who gave up long ago & kept looking for reasons because of special interests to not fight & win - This has been one of the biggest reason were where were at today

The old divide & conquer & politics

It's never over until it's over

Not we - folks like you who gave up long ago & kept looking for reasons because of special interests to not fight & win - This has been one of the biggest reason were where were at today

I believe someone is trying to tell you something..

Gotta love New Orleans people.

Let me get this straight. The individuals on this board who felt that the law would do nothing to influence the NCAA, and felt that the name needed to be dropped in order to get a majority of our athletic teams into a conference, are the reason that we now need to change the name? Do you honestly believe that? You think if everyone fired away emails to the NCAA they would think "hmmm, all these UND fans really care for the name - maybe we should rethink this legal document that was agreed to and just give them a pass"?

I know you won't believe it, but I bet I love the nickname just as much as you do. But as I've stated before, deep down I care way more (and it's not even close) about the university as a whole, and feel that having strong athletic teams (which a conference home such as the Big Sky will hopefully help us achieve) will do much more to further the strength of the university than fans being able to yell "Go Sioux" at sporting events or having a sweet logo on our jerseys will. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just because some of us don't agree with yours doesn't mean that we are the biggest reason for what's going on right now.