SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

I think it's been well documented in other places that Kupchella was reluctant to pull the trigger on D-1 at the same time as Chapman because UND simlply could not afford it at the time without raping academics and other programs. Actually, SU could not afford it either, but that school went for it anyway, and Chapman and VP of Acad. Affairs Craig Schnell began the process of funneling funds away from academics and faculty pay increases toward athletics and the pursuit to take SU to "the next level." These moves forced SU to go with larger class sizes, taught by GAs and entry level instructors lured (many grad-level international students) to the university with tuition waivers. It was for these reasons (and the Presidents house debacle and other end-runs) that Chapman was run out of town later.

The true reason UND finally bit the bullet and moved its athletics program to all D1(UND has been D1 for decades in hockey) when it did had everything to do with the collapse of the old NCC and the bleak future that presented itself at the time.

So SU may look all rosy now from a sports perspective, like it made the move when the time was right. Truth is that they made the move at the expense of the rest of the institution, and those hens have and are still coming back to roost now, evidenced by some of the funding woes that Breciani and other SU apologists are crying to state lawmakers about all the time now. They blame unfair funding practices by the state favor UND, but they only need to look back a few years to what Uncle Joe, Craig Schnell, et.al. did to find the true root cause of their financial straits.

Lol, what makes this funny is that NDSU is a better academic school now than it ever has been. Chapman was ran out of NDSU because of the house scandal. Deservedly so. Doesn't change the fact NDSU is a much better place as a result of him.

Btw, if UND wants better coaches, pay a good coach good money. How do UND fans expect to compete with the UM's, NDSU's, App States, of the world without having a coach making more than a pharmacist just out of college.

Lol, what makes this funny is that NDSU is a better academic school now than it ever has been. Chapman was ran out of NDSU because of the house scandal. Deservedly so. Doesn't change the fact NDSU is a much better place as a result of him.

Btw, if UND wants better coaches, pay a good coach good money. How do UND fans expect to compete with the UM's, NDSU's, App States, of the world without having a coach making more than a pharmacist just out of college.

Yeaaaaaaaah...we beat UM this year; nice try. There is more that I could pick apart but I will stick with the obvious for now.

New Mexico St. has never really been a world-beater in football though, with or without Faison. I don't really see the correlation. New Mexico State's football record during Faison's 6 years as A.D. was 29-40. In the 6 years prior to his tenure they were 18-48. In the 6 seasons after he left the A.D. post, they went 16-58. But, again, he wasn't on the Aggie coaching staff or the active player roster, nor does he participate in either of those roles for North Dakota.

He does not coach, but he does determine/extend the contracts of current coaches. He did not make administrative decisions that turned NMSU's program into a winner. My question is whether or not he 'demands' the level of excellence sought by posters on this forum.

Yeaaaaaaaah...we beat UM this year; nice try. There is more that I could pick apart but I will stick with the obvious for now.

Montana had a down year due to off-the-field issues; let's not act like we don't all know that. Montana has 2 FCS National Championships in the last 17 years and is a perennial playoff participant. Although we beat them this season, I think most UND fans would love to have the program status and commitment to football that Montana has.

• Upvote 1

In our first year in an elite FCS conference we went 3-5 against the BSC (or 4-5 if you count the Portland non-conference win) Our 5 losses included 3 teams at 7-1 that combined for an overall record of 31-9. We didn't get the easy wins we probably could have over the 2 bottom teams if the schedule had been nicer. Not exactly great, but certainly not the end of the world. That's just the reality of it. We're aren't discussing our 5th or 10th year in the BSC without making the playoffs....it was Year 1!

Your signature includes the Cary Eades quote about National titles....... well, the UND football team has a more recent National title than the hockey team. also a reality. We can all expect or demand a win, but the reality is what is done on the field.

Like stated above, patience.

let's not forget that without the blown call at the end of the UNC game, we likely end the season in 5th place in the big sky, behind 4 teams that were playoff caliber. The defense came up with stops at Sac St, Montana, SUU, and UNC, but needs to improve and will almost certainly be better next year. I think there is a lot to be hopeful about over the next few years; definitely NOT a bleak future for UND football.

see below

Montana had a down year due to off-the-field issues; let's not act like we don't all know that. Montana has 2 FCS National Championships in the last 17 years and is a perennial playoff participant. Although we beat them this season, I think most UND fans would love to have the program status and commitment to football that Montana has.

This. Most FCS fans would like to be a Montana. Congrats to UND on having a barnburner with the worst UM team in some time. UND should have the standard of pounding Montana when they have a year similar to this year. Tulsa beat Notre Dame a couple of years ago. Are you telling me that Tulsa is the same quality of program as Notre Dame? If so, Mr. Colorado.....I think that is just silly.

Seems like plenty on this board have lowered their standards for UND football while claiming 'we still expect the best' sort of thing.

Just sayin'(can't wait to get trashed for saying these obvious things)

Aren't you the same person that used to work at a hospital and post from computers there. Now you have a cush job at a bank that you badmouth on public forums, and set yourself up as some f****g sports consultant to UND atletics, when your own work habits basically prove you are a deadbeat. There hould be some rule here that any posting by you requires a $100 deposit to UND athletics just to get rid of all the drivel coming from you.

True, but with different schools you never know how things work.

These guys took a job that includes the public having a good view of what you are doing. I have a job at a bank, this bank does not have a great reputation. My dad has mentioned that to me many times that the place I work has had financial troubles. Should I blow up on him for not knowing every little detail of the bank? Nope. The bank has struggled. This is obvious to anyone. UND's football team has struggled lately. This is obvious to anyone.

2 of those losses against Big Sky teams were also complete buttwhoopings by two teams who were good, and one regular loss(4th quarter meltdown by looks of it?) to Cal Poly. Not something to be pleased about.

I'm going to get bashed I'm sure(being an NDSU fan and all), but UND has some work to do. I'm sure it will be fine at some point. Even if it is 5-10 years away ;)

Aren't you the same person that used to work at a hospital and post from computers there. Now you have a cush job at a bank that you badmouth on public forums, and set yourself up as some f****g sports consultant to UND atletics, when your own work habits basically prove you are a deadbeat. There hould be some rule here that any posting by you requires a $100 deposit to UND athletics just to get rid of all the drivel coming from you.

I had an easy job for Sanford this summer. I am a college kid. I answered phones for doctors who were working on a new computer system that Sanford(and most healthcare places) are implementing. I worked 11 hour shifts. For at least 7-8 of those hours, no one called, I had nothing to do. It was also a temp job until the doctors got more used to the new system. If there are any doctors who post on here who called complaining about the OneChart system at Sanford, decent chance you talked to me.

I am a teller at a bank that has a reputation that is less than stellar in the banking community. From what I have heard, the bank I work for has taken steps to get moving in the right direction. That is a part of life. Just like those involved in UND football, have a reputation working for something that is less than stellar. Perhaps UND will fix itself.

I had surgery a week ago and have nothing else to do other than Netlflix and video games. I also have plenty of friends and family who are UND fans. I am very active in how UND is doing in sports. It makes family/friend conversations much easier considering I love talking about sports.

Have I ever set myself up as some consultant for UND athletics? Nope. Just offered an opinion that is different than some peoples opinions. If there is no differences in opinion, or minor differences, message boards get very boring.

Your attitude is rude. Thanks Bye!

You'll never get it that you are the rude one. One or two messages a month would be fine, but you post here more than anyone with mronic stuff from a kid that doesn't know !@#$ about life. You are the neighbor that has no life of his own, so he parks himself at his neighbors drinking beer till 2 in the morning when they have been trying to get rid of him for 5 hours. Finally, blunt words have to be said to get rid of the interloper. You just have no social intelligence - its just amazing that you can't perceive you've overstayed your welcome: and how downright rude you are.

I had an easy job for Sanford this summer. I am a college kid. I answered phones for doctors who were working on a new computer system that Sanford(and most healthcare places) are implementing. I worked 11 hour shifts. For at least 7-8 of those hours, no one called, I had nothing to do. It was also a temp job until the doctors got more used to the new system. If there are any doctors who post on here who called complaining about the OneChart system at Sanford, decent chance you talked to me.

I am a teller at a bank that has a reputation that is less than stellar in the banking community. From what I have heard, the bank I work for has taken steps to get moving in the right direction. That is a part of life. Just like those involved in UND football, have a reputation working for something that is less than stellar. Perhaps UND will fix itself.

I had surgery a week ago and have nothing else to do other than Netlflix and video games. I also have plenty of friends and family who are UND fans. I am very active in how UND is doing in sports. It makes family/friend conversations much easier considering I love talking about sports.

Have I ever set myself up as some consultant for UND athletics? Nope. Just offered an opinion that is different than some peoples opinions. If there is no differences in opinion, or minor differences, message boards get very boring.

Your attitude is rude. Thanks Bye!

• Upvote 2

You'll never get it that you are the rude one. One or two messages a month would be fine, but you post here more than anyone with mronic stuff from a kid that doesn't know !@#$ about life. You are the neighbor that has no life of his own, so he parks himself at his neighbors drinking beer till 2 in the morning when they have been trying to get rid of him for 5 hours. Finally, blunt words have to be said to get rid of the interloper. You just have no social intelligence - its just amazing that you can't perceive you've overstayed your welcome: and how downright rude you are.

I am a polite person. While at times I may seem rude, mean, etc., I generally have genuine conversation. I know enough about life, I don't pretend to be a genius, just throw my input in. Like I have said, about half of my family, and plenty of my friends from back home, are UND fans. I also was raised with the rivalry, so hating UND is as much in my nature as is loving NDSU. For hating UND, I feel I do a relatively decent job throwing opinion in.

I am sure plenty of people wish I didn't post here. I wish some folks didn't post on BV. Sometimes it is necessary for people to stir the pot. Nothing you can do to stop it. I have done nothing to be banned, and quite frankly, I don't care if you wish I was banned or didn't post here. I love college athletics more than anyone I personally know. Go ahead and pull the typical NDSU/UND fan thing "you guys aren't over us" thing, that just isn't the truth. Louisville and Kentucky just recently started playing in their favorite sport, basketball. That doesn't change the fact that they have always disliked one another. Sometimes it is almost as much fun to hate as is it to like something.

What it comes across as, is that you are someone who is insecure about UND's success(or lack thereof). If UND was doing well, and I was praising UND for doing a good job, would you be saying the same thing? The answer to that, is probably no. UND will probably end up being an upper echelon Big Sky team. Do I think they will be Montana? Nope. Do I think they will be in the same sort of situation as Montana State or EWU? Possibly. Should be interesting.

On topic: I don't think Muss has proven enough at UND to continue coaching. UND should pay more for a football coach and put a quality product on the field instead of an passing game without a running game or a defense. I am of the opinion that UND should cut it's losses and move on. Could be right, could be wrong. I will be following attentively.

Oh please...we were nothing special either. That turd cant even troll properly.

• Upvote 1

see below

This. Most FCS fans would like to be a Montana. Congrats to UND on having a barnburner with the worst UM team in some time. UND should have the standard of pounding Montana when they have a year similar to this year. Tulsa beat Notre Dame a couple of years ago. Are you telling me that Tulsa is the same quality of program as Notre Dame? If so, Mr. Colorado.....I think that is just silly.

Seems like plenty on this board have lowered their standards for UND football while claiming 'we still expect the best' sort of thing.

"Mr. Colorado" he says, how original. This all stemmed from you not being able to troll properly. Montana did have a down year but we were bad too so not really sure what you are trying to prove with all of this.

I am a polite person. While at times I may seem rude, mean, etc., I generally have genuine conversation. I know enough about life, I don't pretend to be a genius, just throw my input in. Like I have said, about half of my family, and plenty of my friends from back home, are UND fans. I also was raised with the rivalry, so hating UND is as much in my nature as is loving NDSU. For hating UND, I feel I do a relatively decent job throwing opinion in.

I am sure plenty of people wish I didn't post here. I wish some folks didn't post on BV. Sometimes it is necessary for people to stir the pot. Nothing you can do to stop it. I have done nothing to be banned, and quite frankly, I don't care if you wish I was banned or didn't post here. I love college athletics more than anyone I personally know. Go ahead and pull the typical NDSU/UND fan thing "you guys aren't over us" thing, that just isn't the truth. Louisville and Kentucky just recently started playing in their favorite sport, basketball. That doesn't change the fact that they have always disliked one another. Sometimes it is almost as much fun to hate as is it to like something.

What it comes across as, is that you are someone who is insecure about UND's success(or lack thereof). If UND was doing well, and I was praising UND for doing a good job, would you be saying the same thing? The answer to that, is probably no. UND will probably end up being an upper echelon Big Sky team. Do I think they will be Montana? Nope. Do I think they will be in the same sort of situation as Montana State or EWU? Possibly. Should be interesting.

On topic: I don't think Muss has proven enough at UND to continue coaching. UND should pay more for a football coach and put a quality product on the field instead of an passing game without a running game or a defense. I am of the opinion that UND should cut it's losses and move on. Could be right, could be wrong. I will be following attentively.

And he pisses on your toilet seat and grabs another beer out of your fridge....looks like it's gonna be 2:30 before he stumbles home tonight.

see below

Same with NDSU against UNI. It works in all conferences. You play to win whoever you play. And if a team is having a down year you make sure you beat them, gain confidence, and win the next week, well UND played a fresh Montana State team coming off of a bye week and got demolished. UND is nowhere near their caliber. We will still have tough competition next year except we don't play Cal Poly. But we have Montana (non conference) Montana State, EWU and a playoff team in South Dakota State. We will see where the improvement lies in the defense. If we give up more than 10 or 14 points to Valpo this team is in deep trouble.

"Mr. Colorado" he says, how original. This all stemmed from you not being able to troll properly. Montana did have a down year but we were bad too so not really sure what you are trying to prove with all of this.

It wasn't intended to be 'original.' Montana generally is an elite team in the FCS. UND would like to be similar to that no?

Same with NDSU against UNI. It works in all conferences. You play to win whoever you play. And if a team is having a down year you make sure you beat them, gain confidence, and win the next week, well UND played a fresh Montana State team coming off of a bye week and got demolished. UND is nowhere near their caliber. We will still have tough competition next year except we don't play Cal Poly. But we have Montana (non conference) Montana State, EWU and a playoff team in South Dakota State. We will see where the improvement lies in the defense. If we give up more than 10 or 14 points to Valpo this team is in deep trouble.

NDSU was up 3 scores in the fourth quarter of the UNI game? Not sure what that was intended to mean.

It wasn't intended to be 'original.' Montana generally is an elite team in the FCS. UND would like to be similar to that no?

NDSU was up 3 scores in the fourth quarter of the UNI game? Not sure what that was intended to mean.

I mean UNI had a down year as well as Montana.

• Upvote 1

Can't believe you have to spell it out like that, Darrell. I thought your original post on this was pretty clear.

You are forgetting that in the world of Bisondom, the MVC is the greatest conference in the history of FCS conferences. That means that no team in that conference is capable of having a truly "down year" because they are all awesome compared to whatever anyone else has. :silly:

But for the rest of us, yeah, UNI had a down year compared to what they usually have.

You are forgetting that in the world of Bisondom, the MVC is the greatest conference in the history of FCS conferences. That means that no team in that conference is capable of having a truly "down year" because they are all awesome compared to whatever anyone else has. :silly:

But for the rest of us, yeah, UNI had a down year compared to what they usually have.

Every team drinks the conference kool-aid.

UNI's Sagarin ends the year at 92, putting them in the top 4 of both the Sky and Valley. How good you are depends on who they play, not your record.

Which is crap. So if UND scheduled the top teams in the BCS then had a normal BSC schedule we could go 3-8 and still be #7 in the FCS? That's where his rankings are flawed big time. It should go by record more than who you play. UNI was in the top in the FCS when their only win was over a DII team for most of the season. How messed up is that.

Which is crap. So if UND scheduled the top teams in the BCS then had a normal BSC schedule we could go 3-8 and still be #7 in the FCS? That's where his rankings are flawed big time. It should go by record more than who you play. UNI was in the top in the FCS when their only win was over a DII team for most of the season. How messed up is that.

You need 7 wins to make the playoffs, but if you lose more than that against top competition, it doesn't mean you are a bad team. Who is the best team out of Cal Poly, EWU, Montana St, and Sam Houston? Who had the most losses? So Sam Houston is crap because they lost to Baylor and Texas A&M . . . is that what you are telling me?

Sam Houston is the best out of that group, and UNI scheduled in a similar fashion to Sam Houston, although they didn't get to play a Southland schedule. (would you like to see the Sagarin for the MVFC vs. the Southland?) Your logic is flawed. UNI at 92 is about right, and is a top 3-4 team in any conference this past year. Just scheduled themselves out of a playoff spot.

You need 7 wins to make the playoffs, but if you lose more than that against top competition, it doesn't mean you are a bad team. Who is the best team out of Cal Poly, EWU, Montana St, and Sam Houston? Who had the most losses? So Sam Houston is crap because they lost to Baylor and Texas A&M . . . is that what you are telling me?

Sam Houston is the best out of that group. Your logic is flawed. UNI at 92 is about right, and is a top 3-4 team in any conference this past year.

UNI #7 team in the FCS with only 4 DI wins. I think there are a lot of teams #8 and beyond that would argue that.