SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

You're not going to see many rational comments because they hate SCSU for many reasons. But there are some hospitable UND fans (just not that many)

Anyway, this will be a good league on the ice, but the league office is out of their minds if they think the NCHC can compete with Big Ten branding.

There is no way that the NCHC can compete with the Big Ten brand but neither can the CCHA, WCHA, Hockey East, or any other hockey league.

Since SCSU doesn't expand the base of the NCHC, what benefit does it bring to the NCHC?

I think the point being made about brand is we aren't going to compete with their brand recognition and TV audience with moves like this. SCSU isn't going to capture much of an audience and that doesn't help us.

The NCHC wouldn't compete with B1G name recognition no matter who was in the conference. BGSU or Bemidji would have really captured a large audience laugh.gif

So it sounds as if BGSU has been given an extension to make it's decision on the WCHA invite. What are their options at this point? Hope like He!! to get into the NCHC, accept WCHA invite, drop hockey, or something else???

Bowling Green has nothing in common with the new WCHA. Moreover, joining the WCHA would entail a travel budget that is nearly as expensive if it could get into the NCHC. BGSU's AD has got to be working overtime to patch together a conference with the AHA-4, UAH, and maybe Lindenwood (which wants to start men's hockey with its DII move). With that type conference, there might even be a prayer of a chance that Wright State (has a rink on campus), Cleveland State, Toledo could start hockey, or Ohio or Kent St could restart. If it can just get the AHA-4 and UAH to agree to a conference, Bowling Green would dominate that type conference, at least for a time, and reestablish its hockey credentials.

The WCHA will do everything it can to bring BGSU in, as it needs a DI school to allow itself representation at DI hockey rules meetings.

Kind of interesting Youtube clip from last year:

Simon Fraser hoping to take hockey to NCAA varsity

Since Simon Fraser is now a DII team, any Simon Fraser NCAA team would have to go DI to have NCAA competition. The Alaska schools would love to have them aboard - not so sure about the new WCHA. Simon Fraser current club team plays in the BCIHL, which includes some varsity BC colleges as well as the Eastern Washington club team, which wanted to upgrade from the weaker US club teams it is playing. The BCIHL doesn't allow players from major junior ranks, so an NCAA upgrade could begin with mostly the same players.

Eastern Washington faces the same issue in the Spokane area that UN-Omaha faced in Omaha: EWU has to deal with Gonzaga basketball as well as Washington State Pac12 sports. UNO chose hockey to distinguish itself from Creighton basketball and Nebraska B1G sports. Even EWU's FCS national championship didn't give EWU that big a shot in the arm in the Spokane market. Since EWU has a small rink on campus and a large arena is available in Spokane (a city with actual hockey fans), maybe one day it's possible EWU could start hockey and partner with Simon Fraser.

Probably all just wishful thinking, but one never knows.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Who cares where they will get the funding?

Your right, let's just invite a school without knowing where they will get their funding.

How, pray tell, is St. Cloud an albatross? In any way? Please explain.

Who would you prefer in place of St. Cloud? And how would that choice be any less of a potential albatross than St. Cloud?

Umm, can you read? There are 50 pages to this thread and you have yet to see anyone explain why they do not want SCSU in the league? I'm assuming you didn't graduate from UND if you haven't figured out in 50 pages why people do not want SCSU in the league. And it has alot more to do than with their administration.

The Pig Ten has sucked in all major sports for years. Football, basketball, and hockey supremacy has long been in the past and it ain't returning to the national stage anytime real soon. Hockey included.

You have officially lost all credability in my book with this statement. Do you even follow college sports? The Big Ten is one of the top basketball leagues. Ohio State and Wisconsin have sucked in football for years? And to say that Big Ten schools have sucked in hockey as some sort of justification for adding SCSU to the NCHC just shows your a closet case SCSU fan. The Big Ten schools have rattled off more national championships in hockey than anyone else, especially in the last decade.

I would rather have the product on the ice more than the brand in the bank.

Hate to break it to ya, college sports are a business. If you want to be competative you need the money and brand in the bank. You can't pay for scholarships with sunshine and flowers.

The NCHC wouldn't compete with B1G name recognition no matter who was in the conference. BGSU or Bemidji would have really captured a large audience laugh.gif

You say the name Bowling Green to the average college sports fan and they will know who they are or at least recognize the name. Say Bemidji State or St Cloud State to an avid college sports fan, let alone a casual one, and they will look at you with a blank stare and not have a clue who they are.

You say the name Bowling Green to the average college sports fan and they will know who they are or at least recognize the name. Say Bemidji State or St Cloud State to an avid college sports fan, let alone a casual one, and they will look at you with a blank stare and not have a clue who they are.

At the very least we know that Faison and BGs AD have had extensive conversations about something. Faison mentioned on last week's coaches show that UND has agreed to travel to BG for football, though he did not say the year.

There is no way that the NCHC can compete with the Big Ten brand but neither can the CCHA, WCHA, Hockey East, or any other hockey league.

Since SCSU doesn't expand the base of the NCHC, what benefit does it bring to the NCHC?

If SCCC was such a "natural fit" for the new conference why weren't they among the original members? But I suppose it's typical for them that they follow on somebody's coattails rather than actually achieving any degree of success on their own. Basically a welfare case.

And as a practical matter, I won't forgive their administration's stance on the Sioux name/logo either and all of the shiat Saigo et al. started.

No offense but your post reeks of blind homerism and makes you look bad. The hockey teams in the Big Ten have won more NCAA titles in the last 10 seasons than the NCHC (2 MN, 1 WI, 1 Mich St vs. 2 DU, 1 UMD). Pretty hard to deny that Wisconsin and Ohio State haven't been among the best 10 to 15 teams in college football in recent years and the Big Ten routinely gets a lot of teams in the NCAAs for basketball. Your comment isn't based in reality.

I think the point being made about brand is we aren't going to compete with their brand recognition and TV audience with moves like this. SCSU isn't going to capture much of an audience and that doesn't help us.

Yes, you are right I suppose. I wrote that more out of frustration and anger than anything else. This said, we now know that OSU was good in football because they are blatant cheaters and Wisconsin does well because it plays a creampuff pre-conference slate and then beats up on Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State, and, in the last few years, a mediocre Michigan team. Impressive. The Big Ten flies more on reputation developed over the years than what it has done on the field. Just look at their bowl game performances. My opinion. I could be wrong. I often am. Thankfully, college basketball could not bore me anymore than it already does so you are correct, I look bad. I am honked at Alvarez for his dumb-assed idea and so too were many fans from the Big Ten hockey schools. What is done is done.

I am also frustrated that our boys have not won at least one, if not two or three, NC's in the last decade. I am frustrated that the WCHA has collapsed. I remain amazed at those who think that the recent changes of the landscape in college hockey is going to pan out to be a good thing. What? All of the sudden D-1 schools from around the country see that the BTHC has arrived and they are all going to rush to start a hockey program? Not going to happen. They have not started D-1 programs for years. What makes anyone think that they are going to do so now? Because Penn State is coming on board with a $100M arena funded by a private benefactor? Moorhead State gonna step up? Talk about a school with no commitment or vision to athletics.

Let's start a pool. Who will the next D-1 hockey program be? Who? There is no one on that landscape. British Columbia looked and passed. Now all the "big" schools that have done just fine over the years without hockey are going to come on board because they might be televised on the Big Ten Network? Cripes. Let's get a grip and get off the crack pipes.

My blood runs as deep in Sioux roots as anyone's does on this board. Not a closet SCSU fan. Hate 'em actually. After all, they are are designated "rival." What I do believe, and firmly, is that SCSU will bring more competition to the ice year in and year out than will BGSU, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Arizona State, Southern Cal, Kentucky, or any other D-1 program, real or imagined. The best players, by and large, still come from north of the border, from across the pond, or out of the Rust Belt. The best hockey is still found where the water freezes in the winter. Hockey always has been, and always will be, a regional sport loved by a solid, but relatively small, core of rabid fans.

The college game is not going national, and neither is The National. The big city newspapers are not going to start carrying the standings of the Big Ten, Hockey East, or the NCHC. The "brand" is more of a pipe dream than a reality. The conference will brand itself, just like the WCHA branded itself. It will be one of four or five college hockey conferences. Nothing more. Nothing less. The Big Ten and its brand is not going to attract any more, or better, teams that will the National and its brand. The little programs on the "outside" are going to twist in the wind for a few years before throwing up their arms realizing that they cannot fund their programs and their travel with 1500 or less seats in the building on the weekends.

The landscape is changing. I am a pessimist. Maybe because I am a bit old school and do not always believe that change is for the better. I'll still be in my seats at The Ralph, and I'll still be going to a raft of games on the road. St. Cloud included. Say what you will, but it is a much better hockey atmosphere in that town than you will find in South Bend or in the backwoods of Ohio and Kentucky. Bowling Green over Saint Cloud for a hockey conference? You gotta be kidding me.

So? I'd rather see a great hockey game on the ice with a pedigreed school with some semblance of tradition than to call my buddies down in the south simply to tell them that I went and saw Bowling Green play hockey last night.

We are not playing football or basketball here. We are playing hockey. Most avid college sports fans do not even know a lick about hockey, and they will never care to learn a lick about hockey. It is a regional game.

By the way, SCSU's move is big news on the television sports in the Twin Cities market today. Video clips and everything.

Yes, you are right I suppose. I wrote that more out of frustration and anger than anything else. This said, we now know that OSU was good in football because they are blatant cheaters and Wisconsin does well because it plays a creampuff pre-conference slate and then beats up on Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State, and, in the last few years, a mediocre Michigan team. Impressive. The Big Ten flies more on reputation developed over the years than what it has done on the field. Just look at their bowl game performances. My opinion. I could be wrong. I often am. Thankfully, college basketball could not bore me anymore than it already does so you are correct, I look bad. I am honked at Alvarez for his dumb-assed idea and so too were many fans from the Big Ten hockey schools. What is done is done.

I am also frustrated that our boys have not won at least one, if not two or three, NC's in the last decade. I am frustrated that the WCHA has collapsed. I remain amazed at those who think that the recent changes of the landscape in college hockey is going to pan out to be a good thing. What? All of the sudden D-1 schools from around the country see that the BTHC has arrived and they are all going to rush to start a hockey program? Not going to happen. They have not started D-1 programs for years. What makes anyone think that they are going to do so now? Because Penn State is coming on board with a $100M arena funded by a private benefactor? Moorhead State gonna step up? Talk about a school with no commitment or vision to athletics.

Let's start a pool. Who will the next D-1 hockey program be? Who? There is no one on that landscape. British Columbia looked and passed. Now all the "big" schools that have done just fine over the years without hockey are going to come on board because they might be televised on the Big Ten Network? Cripes. Let's get a grip and get off the crack pipes.

My blood runs as deep in Sioux roots as anyone's does on this board. Not a closet SCSU fan. Hate 'em actually. After all, they are are designated "rival." What I do believe, and firmly, is that SCSU will bring more competition to the ice year in and year out than will BGSU, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Arizona State, Southern Cal, Kentucky, or any other D-1 program, real or imagined. The best players, by and large, still come from north of the border, from across the pond, or out of the Rust Belt. The best hockey is still found where the water freezes in the winter. Hockey always has been, and always will be, a regional sport loved by a solid, but relatively small, core of rabid fans.

The college game is not going national, and neither is The National. The big city newspapers are not going to start carrying the standings of the Big Ten, Hockey East, or the NCHC. The "brand" is more of a pipe dream than a reality. The conference will brand itself, just like the WCHA branded itself. It will be one of four or five college hockey conferences. Nothing more. Nothing less. The Big Ten and its brand is not going to attract any more, or better, teams that will the National and its brand. The little programs on the "outside" are going to twist in the wind for a few years before throwing up their arms realizing that they cannot fund their programs and their travel with 1500 or less seats in the building on the weekends.

The landscape is changing. I am a pessimist. Maybe because I am a bit old school and do not always believe that change is for the better. I'll still be in my seats at The Ralph, and I'll still be going to a raft of games on the road. St. Cloud included. Say what you will, but it is a much better hockey atmosphere in that town than you will find in South Bend or in the backwoods of Ohio and Kentucky. Bowling Green over Saint Cloud for a hockey conference? You gotta be kidding me.

Since you are not even an alumni of UND how deep can your roots run?

Not sure where you'd find college hockey in Bowling Green, Kentucky. You'd find Western Kentucky University and GM's Corvette plant though.

Not sure where you'd find college hockey in Bowling Green, Kentucky. You'd find Western Kentucky University and GM's Corvette plant though.

I was talking about KU's great club program that is so widely supported by its fan base but does still not have a rat's ass chance of ever seeing a D-1 program.

Club hockey is alive and well on campuses all over the country. School administrations are fine with that. No need to step up into a sport that will cost loads, and upset the Title IX cart. Moreover, SCSU and BGSU cannot even field a team of high level skills skaters. How do you expect other schools who are going to add D-1 hockey to find talent in an already watered down pool?

I was talking about KU's great club program that is so widely supported by its fan base but does still not have a rat's ass chance of ever seeing a D-1 program.

Club hockey is alive and well on campuses all over the country. School administrations are fine with that. No need to step up into a sport that will cost loads, and upset the Title IX cart. Moreover, SCSU and BGSU cannot even field a team of high level skills skaters. How do you expect other schools who are going to add D-1 hockey to find talent in an already watered down pool?

Not to mention schools such as Kentucky don't want to mess with their Basketball program as many of the dates could go head to head.

Moreover, SCSU and BGSU cannot even field a team of high level skills skaters. How do you expect other schools who are going to add D-1 hockey to find talent in an already watered down pool?

And yet you insist on being SCCC's cheerleader on their admission to the conference. If they add so much, how can they not even field "a team of high level skills skaters"? Did some SCCC fan promise you a Blatz Light the next time you're in town?

And yet you insist on being SCCC's cheerleader on their admission to the conference. If they add so much, how can they not even field "a team of high level skills skaters"? Did some SCCC fan promise you a Blatz Light the next time you're in town?

How did you know my beer preference Scott? What is done is done. Welcome St. Clown with open arms. The talent pool is limited and it ebbs and flows. It was not all that long ago that North Dakota regularly fielded teams made up mostly of kids who were weened on the hind titty. There but for the grace of God goes our program again. I am simply saying that talented hockey players, unlike football players or basketball players going to D-1, have far better options of advancing their skills toward the Big Show than going to college in the United States. We are lucky that D-1 hockey has done as well as it has with pro prospects and it is getting better. Adding more D-1 programs is not going to draw more talent out of Canada's major juniors.

I was being facetious with St. Clown and its talent base. Motzko has done well getting some solid talent there. Feel as we may about the school and its administration, and its position on the name and the logo, Motzko puts a solid team on the ice that has regularly beaten us and all other teams in the once-feared WCHA. There is no reason that the school should not be considered the near equal of most of the other schools in the NCHC. Why UNO over St. Cloud? Neither has done a thing to date, except that St. Cloud has a Final Five title or two. Omaha is flyover country every bit as is Oxford, St. Cloud, Duluth, and Bowling Green, Ohio.

I can't wait until the pucks start to drop so that I might get out of the time wasting snare of griping about the Pig Ten, the demise of the WCHA, the pipe dreams of the national branding of a collegiate hockey conference, and the shaky ground on which the future of the world's greatest sport - college hockey - now finds itself. I am done, and I love you all. See you around the arenas.

SCSU's opposition to the Sioux nickname left with President Santiago whose legacy at SCSU has now become that he left the school in very tough financial condition, thus their need to cut programs, such as aviation, and put the football team on the chopping block. SCSU is a nice road trip, their fans are fanatic, their booster club is welcoming to Sioux fans, there is even an unofficial traveling trophy I believe sponsored by Siouxsports? For a rivalry to survive there does need to be some tension and give and take. Let's now be too "holier than thou" on this - college hockey needs programs like SCSU to remain a viable part of college sports.

Rumors of Buffalo starting a program

Bruce Ciskie tweets:

Source: Bowling Green meeting with Niagara, Robert Morris, Canisius, Mercyhurst, and a school currently without DI hockey program.

School without a DI program is one I have not heard as being tied to potentially adding a program, but currently MAC in other sports.

It's Buffalo, from what I've been told. As my source just said, if they start a program, it's two new programs out of this fiasco.

That would give three programs in the Buffalo area.