SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

So, how many Spartans were from Michigan? How many Trojans from Southern California?

For that matter, I thought the 'Rebs' were from the Confederacy, not Las Vegas, Nevada.

How many Seminoles are there in Fl... oops, my the NCAA's bad. ;)

It does go with the state's marketing program, and is like the Tennessee Volunteers, the Oklahoma Sooners, the Kansas Jayhawks... Need I go on?

1. Roughriders

2. (Charging) Nokotas

3. (Grey) Wolves

4. Cavalry

The difference would be those nicknames were not chosen with the  directive of attempting to choose a name related to, and honoring, something in the state's past. 

Langdon was the last living rough rider from ND, there was more than one roughrider from ND. Roosevelt himself lived here at one point. Central needs to get over itself.

Wrong.  Langdon was the ONLY Roughrider from ND.  I could not care less about any Class A high schools or their nicknames.

Not caring until its too late is far cry from trying to get rid of the name! Even though that thought is wrong also! Read the truth for yourself...http://www.amazon.com/Arent-We-Sioux-Enough-Tradition/dp/0615990681

I have one and you can borrow it if you would like?

Have not read the book and don't know any more than the synopsis on Amazon, but always suspected that the Cherokee were jealous and the ones actually behind the uproar over the Fighting Sioux name. Lived in Bismarck for a while and the Lakota I knew there did not have a problem with the nickname.

Does anyone think there is a chance in hedoublehockeysticks that Blackhawks would be chosen?  Would that honor Purpur who received the ROUGHRIDER award?  

Blackhawks is the best choice remaining on the list in my opinion.   Since Purpur actually did honorable things in this state, then yes, it would all make sense. 

Wrong.  Langdon was the ONLY Roughrider from ND.  I could not care less about any Class A high schools or their nicknames.

You need to learn to deal with the fact that the former President of the United States and a leader of the Roughriders lived in North Dakota for a while and spoke highly of his time here.

Go Blame Roosevelt for your dislike of North Dakota's states nickname.

Such a tragedy North Dakota wanted to honor him in some way. :silly:   

• Upvote 2

Very surprised that among all this talk of ND's nickname being the Rough Rider State nobody points out that our official nickname is actually Peace Garden State.

(NDCC, Section 39-04-12 cir. 1957)

"Rough Rider State" is simply an ad slogan.

Very surprised that among all this talk of ND's nickname being the Rough Rider State nobody points out that our official nickname is actually Peace Garden State.

Wikipedia also has Roughrider as a state nickname..........and Fargo as the state capitol. So there! ;)

Yep, the official nickname is Peace Garden State. Unofficial state nicknames include the Flickertail state, the Sioux state, and the Roughrider state. Do you see any pattern here?

You need to learn to deal with the fact that the former President of the United States and a leader of the Roughriders lived in North Dakota for a while and spoke highly of his time here.

Well aware of Roosevelt and his time here. That doesn't change the fact that only one member of the Roughriders was from North Dakota, which is what my post you replied to was pertaining to.

Or should we continue along the path of revisionist history and just claim some, most, or all of the roughriders were North Dakotans?

I'll head to Wikipedia right now and change a few things: Teddy Roosevelt and his roughriders- all of them from North Dakota- used nuclear weapons and pea shooters to defeat ISIS in the Battle of the Bulge. There, done. Gooooo Roughriders!!!!!

Roosevelts are not your mascots! Stop "honoring" him!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well aware of Roosevelt and his time here. That doesn't change the fact that only one member of the Roughriders was from North Dakota, which is what my post you replied to was pertaining to.

Or should we continue along the path of revisionist history and just claim some, most, or all of the roughriders were North Dakotans?

I'll head to Wikipedia right now and change a few things: Teddy Roosevelt and his roughriders- all of them from North Dakota- used nuclear weapons and pea shooters to defeat ISIS in the Battle of the Bulge. There, done. Gooooo Roughriders!!!!!

Doesn't change the fact that Roughriders and North Dakota are tied together.

Doesn't change fact that the leader of the Roughriders was a North Dakota resident.

I would vote for Peace Gardeners, but spelled Piece Gardeners.  The logo could be a razor crossed with tweezers over a jar of wax.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't change the fact that Roughriders and North Dakota are tied together.

Doesn't change fact that the leader of the Roughriders was a North Dakota resident.

He was not a North Dakota resident. He vacationed here and played cowboy from time to time. He never owned any land in North Dakota- he was a squatter.

Darnit here I go again, letting facts get in the way of a great story.

He was not a North Dakota resident. He vacationed here and played cowboy from time to time. He never owned any land in North Dakota- he was a squatter.

Well then call the National Park Service and get "Theodore Roosevelt National Park" renamed because all he did is squat there. 

He never owned any land in North Dakota.

"He bought a ranch in the Dakota badlands." http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/people/historical/roosevelt/

Here I go again using Facts to discredit what you wrote.

Do you have a problem with a National Park being named after him in North Dakota or just if it was named after the group of men he led, the Roughriders.

• Upvote 1

Your argument against Teddy R and the name Rough Riders is tiresome. I don't want to repeat myself, but again it doesn't matter how many ND residents fought for the Rough Riders, it doesn't matter how long Teddy R lived in ND, and it doesn't matter the Rough Riders isn't the "official," state nickname. 

What matters is the name is and has been engrained in the culture and the people of this state for as long as I can remember. How that came to be doesn't matter. North Dakota residents are proud to be associated with Teddy Roosevelt and they are proud to be associated with the name Rough Riders. You can stop with all the other talk because it doesn't matter. Facts are facts, and the Rough Rider name being tied to ND and ND residents is a fact. Did you actually grow up in ND or were you a transplant that just went to school here? If so I understand, but if you actually grew up in ND I don't see how you do not know how much that name has been apart of the states culture for a very long time. As a ND resident myself, I am proud to be associated with Teddy R and the Rough Rider name and would be proud to have UND take that as a nickname.  ND people are strong, tough, hard working people, who stand up for what's right.......kind of like a group of people Teddy R led to battle back in the day. 

Again lots of great names to choose from, but Rough Riders makes the most sense by far. As GFhockey and the GOBC like to say.....ROLLLLL RIDAS

• Upvote 2

How about the UND TIny Bubbles.  Not offensive, is happy and gay, is unique and it honors one of Strasburg, ND finest.  Logo could be challenging but it would be with Artic Blaze, Fighting Greens, Green Pride or the like.

How about the UND TIny Bubbles.  Not offensive, is happy and gay, is unique and it honors one of Strasburg, ND finest.  Logo could be challenging but it would be with Artic Blaze, Fighting Greens, Green Pride or the like.

Leave Cousin Larry* out of this. 

*a couple times removed