SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

The Magic?

Nope, Minot has that. We need an elimination process.....no names of all ND schools from Elementary to HS allowed, no pro, semi pro, minor league teams, no other college teams. Now how about them Sundogs. 

My daughters soccer team is called the Waves, since its not Green Waves i guess they didn't need permission from EGF and Tulane.

North Stars is dumb, as we are just taking the name of Minnesota's former NHL team. The ridicule would never stop. This would be kind of cool if it wasn't being taken from a Minnesota team

Ermines are weasels

Please nothing weather related. (Storm, Lightning, Fighting Raindrops, Etc.)

Shooting stars? Please NO

Fighting Stars? What the hell is a fighting star? NO!

And the question is really asked why some people prefer No Nickname? For some, it is not about preserving Fighting Sioux as the unofficial nickname; it is more about not sticking our school with something stupid on our jersey that makes us laughable. Which most, not all, new suggestions have been.

North Stars is dumb, as we are just taking the name of Minnesota's former NHL team. The ridicule would never stop. This would be kind of cool if it wasn't being taken from a Minnesota team

Ermines are weasels

And the question is really asked why some people prefer No Nickname? For some, it is not about preserving Fighting Sioux as the unofficial nickname; it is more about not sticking our school with something stupid on our jersey that makes us laughable. Which most, not all, new suggestions have been.

Raindrops = raindance = Native American tradition = Hostile and Abusive. I think we are safe with that one.

A Fighting Star...its not Tony Romo.

• Upvote 1

Not an option, I don't care how many people are quoted in the Heraldo saying otherwise.  This issue will not go away until we get a new nickname.

That article made me disappointed.  Those "supporters" of the University of North Dakota should check their diploma and see what it says (and doesn't say) on it. 

And to the student who is now contemplating on moving out of Grand Forks because he doesn't want to see a new logo and needs a logo to give him confidence to face his challenges, the real world is going to give you one heck of a wake-up call.

• Upvote 4

That article made me disappointed.  Those "supporters" of the University of North Dakota should check their diploma and see what it says (and doesn't say) on there. 

If..check that, when UND gets a new name are those "supporters" going to cheer for UND or are they going to stay home and cheer on a different team while wearing their Fighting Sioux jersey. If they choose the latter then they aren't real fans.

• Upvote 2

Nope, Minot has that. We need an elimination process.....no names of all ND schools from Elementary to HS allowed, no pro, semi pro, minor league teams, no other college teams. Now how about them Sundogs.

Sun Dogs? As in ligh refracting from the Sun? This is something we want to use to replace the Fighting Sioux?

The argument against No Name has been we need an cool name and logo that we can market; and we are going to go with "light"?

I hate to be such a downer on the subject, but many of the suggestions seem to be getting more and more ridiculous. Imagine if the UofM was in our situation, and they adopted Sun Dogs, Fighting Stars, The Magic, Etc? Our fans would not let them hear the end of it.

I'm all for "No Nickname" or the NoDaks if you must. BUT if we HAD to pick something else Nokota or Roughriders. *Most people outside of the Red River Valley and local region care if it is the high schools name. When you are talking about branding your school nationally, as many have argued, have the same name as a high school will be unknown to most and completely irrelevant.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ermines are weasels

Thank you.  Contrary to popular opinion, the support for "no nickname" doesn't always imply a desire to keep "Fighting Sioux", but rather an effort to prevent UND from adopting some of the laughable suggestions we have all seen. 

While I personally don't oppose the idea of a new nickname, I do believe that simply using "University of North Dakota" is entirely unique and brings recognition to who we truly are---North Dakota.  Reasonable minds can certainly disagree on this.

• Upvote 1

If..check that, when UND gets a new name are those "supporters" going to cheer for UND or are they going to stay home and cheer on a different team while wearing their Fighting Sioux jersey. If they choose the latter then they aren't real fans.

I'll would definitely cheer on our team, but will still have my Sioux jersey on. Sorry, you will never get me to wear a Sun Dogs logo.

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3734308-chester-fritz-library-forum-gets-heated

B.J. Rainbow, a recruiter and program coordinator with UND American Indian Student Services who is also a UND alumnus and of Sioux descent, said the issue continues to divide Native Americans as some find the old name offensive while others are proud of it.

This was apparent as he watched his Facebook news feed while the hockey team played this year's Frozen Four tournament.

"I kept seeing on my news feed 'Go Sioux' or 'go Fighting Sioux,' and I expect that, but some of them I work with, some of them I've been in class with and they're still saying that," he said. "That kind of shows me how they really feel."

And there's what's wrong with the side I like to call the Jeanotte-heads: Removing that name will not change peoples' feelings toward it, good or bad. 

Closed circuit to Mr. Rainbow: BJ, buddy, pal, were you really trying to change someone's feelings about something? That's depressing to believe that you thought you could do that. Why? Because you know no one will ever change your feelings on the matter either. 

I'll would definitely cheer on our team, but will still have my Sioux jersey on. Sorry, you will never get me to wear a Sun Dogs logo.

I mentioned Sun Dogs only because it has been thrown around by some (personally I don't like it), I will be wearing my Sioux gear forever, but I will also buy other UND gear with the new name and logo because I am a fan of the University of North Dakota FIRST, nickname second.

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3734308-chester-fritz-library-forum-gets-heated

And there's what's wrong with the side I like to call the Jeanotte-heads: Removing that name will not change peoples' feelings toward it, good or bad. 

Closed circuit to Mr. Rainbow: BJ, buddy, pal, were you really trying to change someone's feelings about something? That's depressing to believe that you thought you could do that. Why? Because you know no one will ever change your feelings on the matter either. 

It actually united people on both sides, if you were on the fence, you aren't anymore. Plus the division of NA themselves should've been an eye opener since "they" claim all NA are against NA nicknames, and that is the furthest from the truth.

I mentioned Sun Dogs only because it has been thrown around by some (personally I don't like it), I will be wearing my Sioux gear forever, but I will also buy other UND gear with the new name and logo because I am a fan of the University of North Dakota FIRST, nickname second.

Just giving you a hard time. I would definitely buy UND gear. Buying a new name and logo would solely depend on what it is, but I would more likely try to make what I have last, or buy what I can find online. When I went to UND we were the Fighting Sioux, its what I would prefer to wear.

Always of fan of the University though, wouldn't cheer for anyone else.

• Upvote 1

I don't doubt your sincerity on the reasoning for wanting no nickname but until it is actually replaced and the void is filled, Fighting Sioux will continue to be used and UND will continue to have to address the issues associated with it.  A new nickname isn't going to be universally like and will take time to grow on people, that is painfully clear, but even Fighting Sioux wasn't universally liked, which is how UND got into this mess in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

That article made me disappointed.  Those "supporters" of the University of North Dakota should check their diploma and see what it says (and doesn't say) on it. 

And to the student who is now contemplating on moving out of Grand Forks because he doesn't want to see a new logo and needs a logo to give him confidence to face his challenges, the real world is going to give you one heck of a wake-up call.

The guy really needs to get some priorities.  With all the rioting and such in other areas of the country, and this is what he is going to make his decision from on where to live.  Wow.  To me it's just as bad as the people that find a way to be offended by a nickname that has been a source of pride.