SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I think it's lame to copy the local high school team, but if it is chosen, I'd get over it.  Even someone like me who has been critical of Roughriders concedes it's in the top-5 of that dreadful list. 

Care to share what your top five are on that list?

EDIT:  And if they are "copying a local high school team," at least they aren't considering the "Green Wave!"   :whistling:

Care to share what your top five are on that list?

EDIT:  And if they are "copying a local high school team," at least they aren't considering the "Green Wave!"   :whistling:

My vote in this ss poll was Norse/Fighting Norse.  But that didn't make the cut for some reason.  So of the final 64:

First Tier:  Cavalry, Fighting Nokota/Nokes, Roughriders, North Dakota.  

Second Tier: Badlanders, Flickertails.

Complete Garbage Tier: The Rest

• Upvote 1

My vote in this ss poll was Norse/Fighting Norse.  But that didn't make the cut for some reason.  So of the final 64:

Your first tier are the same as mine, just a little different order.  Put Roughriders first, Nokes second, Cavalry third and No name fourth.

Just out of curiosity, you can justify Cavalry even though its very similar to the Viriginia Cav's/Cavaliers and Cleveland Cav's/Cavlaliers but have an issue with a High Schools already have Rough Riders?  Poll anyone outside of the state of ND, and they are much more likely to know that North Dakota is the Roughrider state than they are to know that Red River High School actually exists in GF and they are the Rough Riders.  

Also, try the "name/sound" test.  Which one sounds the best...

The North Dakota Roughriders

The North Dakota Nokota or The North Dakota Nokes.

The North Dakota Cavalry or The North Dakota Cavs.

The difference between Cavalry and Roughriders for me is that the Roughriders can be shortened to Riders and I don't puke like I do when Cavalry is shortened to Cavs.

Roughriders is definitely more unique than Cavs and as has been mentioned numerous times, ND is known as the Roughrider state.

Roughriders wasn't at the top of my list when this process began, but as of now, I would be pretty disappointed if it weren't chosen.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind should a different name surface, but of those on the list of 64, Roughriders seems the obvious choice.

"Norse" breaks the NCAA rule (no race, ethnicity, or national origin based nicknames). At least the committee didn't think Norse was a horse (because they think Nokota is a tribe). 

I'd put "North Dakota" into the second tier. I consider each tier unordered and agree. 

"Norse" breaks the NCAA rule (no race, ethnicity, or national origin based nicknames). At least the committee didn't think Norse was a horse (because they think Nokota is a tribe). 

I'd put "North Dakota" into the second tier. I consider each tier unordered and agree. 

But it's a white race, so there is no such thing as being racist against it.

• Upvote 1

I wish there could be a vote at Red River HS of current & Alums. If they want UND to take their name - I'd even say Central HS - before some un-informed misguided folks vote & do this to the community

The Herald could do something like this on their website

Huh?  That's not the NCAA rule.  The NCAA rule is limited to Native American nicknames.     

If you read the policy as written, it says no race, ethnicity, or national origin based names. 

Yes, if they read and enforced their own policy Irish and Vandals would be on the chopping block also. 

I wish there could be a vote at Red River HS of current & Alums. If they want UND to take their name - I'd even say Central HS - before some un-informed misguided folks vote & do this to the community

What about a North Dakota tax payer?  Should they not have a say?  

So Grand Forks RRHS who stole NDs nickname is the rightful owner?

So Grand Forks RRHS who stole NDs nickname is the rightful owner?

No but this process needs to try to solve a problem not make it worse

I dont know how long the State Dept.of Tourism has used or promoted Roughriders but the HS has used it a long time now (got to be close to 40 years)