SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3647228-und-puts-thousands-dollars-nickname-task-force

That is one expensive consultant charging $15,000 for one extra day of work and one extra meeting. I wonder what she accomplished in that one day!

Yeah and good luck getting REA to change out any existing logos.

Based on the answer in the FAQs on the site the REA doesn't have to ever change any logos that are part of the architecture, just the ones in the carpet or other locations that might wear out. I think we all know how the REA adminstration feels about removing the name and logo - (it's never going to happen). 

Regarding the outside consultants it appears they were hand picked by the administration - by that I mean it doesn't appear that they took proposals from a group of possible consultants and chose one - these were chosen with no competition. (I'm not saying there is a conspiracy just wondering if there was any competitive process).   

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3647228-und-puts-thousands-dollars-nickname-task-force

That is one expensive consultant charging $15,000 for one extra day of work and one extra meeting. I wonder what she accomplished in that one day!

Inclusiveness (even if feigned) ain't cheap.  But I gotta say, at those rates, the consultant could have thrown in the extra day for free and still not had to remove her kids from private school.  WTF?!?

Regarding the outside consultants it appears they were hand picked by the administration - by that I mean it doesn't appear that they took proposals from a group of possible consultants and chose one - these were chosen with no competition. (I'm not saying there is a conspiracy just wondering if there was any competitive process).   

How on earth would professional bull$%!# shovelers - er, I mean, consultants - participate in a competitive process?  By smell?  :)

15k in a day equals 3.9 million per year. That is one expensive consultant to help decide the current committee needs to form another committee to come up with a process. So how were these consultants selected? I smell an investigation coming up. Kelly has just blown his personal driver funding.

I agree they should invest to get this right but at what point will the state wonder where this money is going?

Based on the answer in the FAQs on the site the REA doesn't have to ever change any logos that are part of the architecture, just the ones in the carpet or other locations that might wear out. I think we all know how the REA adminstration feels about removing the name and logo - (it's never going to happen).

The Sioux logos may all disappear when UND takes over the REA I think it's in the next decade when that happens, also I don't ever recall a single Sioux logo in the Alerus, just the name Sioux in the endzones so cost will be minimal there to add a new nickname and logo.

15k in a day equals 3.9 million per year. That is one expensive consultant to help decide the current committee needs to form another committee to come up with a process. So how were these consultants selected? I smell an investigation coming up. Kelly has just blown his personal driver funding.

I agree they should invest to get this right but at what point will the state wonder where this money is going?

This...^^^

Is the turn over set in stone or is there a possibility the REA ownership would stay where it is (specifically to prevent the removal of logos from happening). Also do you really think UND would spend the money to remove the logos in the floor and in the more permanent locations? 

Is the turn over set in stone or is there a possibility the REA ownership would stay where it is (specifically to prevent the removal of logos from happening). Also do you really think UND would spend the money to remove the logos in the floor and in the more permanent locations?

Zero chance the logos come out of the floor...ever.

• Upvote 2

I hope not. Since the NCAA deemed the logos historical I hope when UND takes over ownership they leave the building as is.

Perhaps this consultant needs an additional $80K a year for a driver as well?
  • Upvote 1

Let's just get this out there...........this whole process is starting to look like a complete circus with Kelley serving as the circus ringmaster.   Another embarrassment under his "leadership".

• Upvote 2

Let's just get this out there...........this whole process is starting to look like a complete circus with Kelley serving as the circus ringmaster.   Another embarrassment under his "leadership".

Devil's advocate: His short circuits the process and picks a nickname without all the committees, surveys, etc. and pretty make makes sure that people don't feel "included".  How much outrage is there then?  Not saying I'm impressed with how it has been handled, but it is more or less a no win situation.

• Upvote 3

Devil's advocate: His short circuits the process and picks a nickname without all the committees, surveys, etc. and pretty make makes sure that people don't feel "included".  How much outrage is there then?  Not saying I'm impressed with how it has been handled, but it is more or less a no win situation.

I hear you but now they are forming committee's to review the main committee to give insight to a different committee that will report to.................  

This process is going overboard on trying to be over inclusive and happy happy to anyone and everyone.

I hear you but now they are forming committee's to review the main committee to give insight to a different committee that will report to.................  

This process is going overboard on trying to be over inclusive and happy happy to anyone and everyone.

So what would you rather have?  Kelley and his assistants picking a new name that everyone has to live with, or having a process that involves stakeholders like fans, studenst, slumni, etc. to choose the process and then suggest ideas?!!  I agree that the process seems to be dragging out.  But it's better than the alternative.

• Upvote 3

Agree.  It was originally announced the first committee was going to come up with a process for the nickname, and likely not the nickname itself.  That part wasn't a surprise.  They got a lot of insight through their town halls and the survey and from my understanding, now have a guideline on who is going to be included and to what extent.  Assuming that now leads to a group of people who pick the name, I'm fine with it.  If the next group selected doesn't come up with something, then it has went too far. 

Sidenote - Should have went into consulting. Yikes...

So what would you rather have? Kelley and his assistants picking a new name that everyone has to live with, or having a process that involves stakeholders like fans, studenst, slumni, etc. to choose the process and then suggest ideas?!! I agree that the process seems to be dragging out. But it's better than the alternative.

I'd rather not have one person being paid 15,000 per day to come up with a process.

So now the media makes a big deal out of the cost of finding a new nickname - and now UND is getting blased for allowing too much discussion on the process.  I remember the  issue of the expense of moving away from Fighting Sious was brought up very early in the discussion and the response from the liberals was that it needed to be done no matter what the cost. If you think this is expensive just wait until the cost for changing over to a new name and removing all references to it on campus come into play.

The ones who forced this issue should be made to come up with the dough (not gonna happen) Speaking of dough - maybe some of the groups that pushed this so hard could have a fry bread fundraiser and donate the money to the cause?