SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

A case could be made for allowance of "Sioux"... If people wanted to fight for it. All the work involved tho, and the lawyering/lobbying would be expensive.

Figure out a nickname majority can accept, or none. I like idea of three choices at a time until one has +50%. That seems best way to get to favorites at least. Maybe then have open vote. Whether there is or is not nickname tho, the sooner the better. Start true marketing avenue for UND. Ultimately, that's what it's about, $$$

You actually think the NCAA will allow UND a Native American nickname, or the SBoHE for that matter? Ever hear of tribal approval UND didn't get it per the settlement that road is closed.

As long as people like you keep standing in the middle of it proclaiming it is then it will be closed. Until the day people like me come around and tell you to get out of the way. Then there will be a fight and if people like you win the world becomes a worse place where if people like me win it becomes a far better place.

And don't tell me the fight already happened. It has not, at least not beyond the land of the Sioux people.

I believe the fight is yet to come.

• Upvote 1

Where have you been the last 8 years?? Welcome to the real world!

I'm not sure why the idea of saying the word 'never' in the context of future events is beyond me? Maybe it can be explained by the degree of intelligence I possess? Or maybe it is more of the level of disrespect it lends to great minds from Descartes to Mandela??

All I know is when I see someone post something like, "UND can NEVER have a Native American nickname again" I see a person who disrespects the very fact that they breath, unless of course they are, or know of, a god who has decreed such. In which case, that would be quiet impressive!

I'm not sure why the idea of saying the word 'never' in the context of future events is beyond me? Maybe it can be explained by the degree of intelligence I possess? Or maybe it is more of the level of disrespect it lends to great minds from Descartes to Mandela??

All I know is when I see someone post something like, "UND can NEVER have a Native American nickname again" I see a person who disrespects the very fact that they breath, unless of course they are, or know of, a god who has decreed such. In which case, that would be quiet impressive!

The NCAA rule states to have a NA nickname you need tribal approval, UND didn't. What is so hard to understand that. You must be one of those people who don't care about the sanctions as long as we are the Sioux. Well I will love the Sioux name and logo but sanctions are to great and would affect the program to great if we kept the name. Go to Standing Rock and get the tribal council to change their mind if you truly believe it's never over. I wish you luck on your trip to Ft. Yates. Keep us posted on the outcome.

A case could be made for allowance of "Sioux"... If people wanted to fight for it. All the work involved tho, and the lawyering/lobbying would be expensive

That case has been made, argued, lost and the subject of litigation and legislation.  The Sioux moniker is beaten dead and buried.  Get over it.

Why are you so determined to drag all of us along on a Kamikaze mission that will accomplish nothing more than causing more damage to the school and teams we all love?  I don't like what has happened anymore than you, but as Kenny Rogers once said, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run."  Obviously you haven't learned the difference between all of those.

• Upvote 1

Why are you so determined to drag all of us along on a Kamikaze mission that will accomplish nothing more than causing more damage on the school and teams we all love? I don't like what has happened anymore than you, but as Kenny Rogers once said, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run." Obviously you haven't learned the difference between all of those.

I think you just provided us with an excellent nickname option: UND Kamikazes!

• Upvote 2

The NCAA rule states to have a NA nickname you need tribal approval, UND didn't. What is so hard to understand that. You must be one of those people who don't care about the sanctions as long as we are the Sioux. Well I will love the Sioux name and logo but sanctions are to great and would affect the program to great if we kept the name. Go to Standing Rock and get the tribal council to change their mind if you truly believe it's never over. I wish you luck on your trip to Ft. Yates. Keep us posted on the outcome.

It's funny you mentioned that...

I have that on my bucket list. There are about 5 other plays I have on the chalk board. But as Kenny says, "you gotta know when to hold them"

...I'm not saying I will ever do them. I have ambitions and ideas of how to make a move on this. I would think there are others. Life gets in the way. You need time, money and allies and I will tell you I have been making some good progress on all three. I'm not there yet but I will continue toward that goal. I take the lead from people like coach Hakstol in the way he works toward a goal. Every day try to take a step forward- improve.

If there were 10,000 of me in the name corner we would not be in the horrific spot we find ourselves in today. For Christ's sake we had/have the truth on our side. The opposition, the whole lot of them, has nothing more than a house of cards supporting their mandate. It is reprehensible that we are in the place we are. Mawkishly cowering onto a new name, mandated by those who failed us with thier-at least apathy, but more appropriately opposition- to what they should have advocated. The fact that they still lead us is pathetic in and of itself. And yet here we are. Is all we have in us is a resolve to condescend those who chose not to surrender. You all are so good at throwing stones there. Yet conversely, not one person had posted re the incendiary words the chancellor wrote in president Kelly's Performance evaluation. In ANY rational society that man would be fired for writting such a propagandized bunch of lies. But nay not so, only comments charged against people who say the things I do shunning every word as if it the cure to cancer.

The funniest thing is I will go and watch the Fighting Sioux open up a can of whoopass on the Pioneers this weekend and personally witness thousands of Sioux fans yell out, "home of the Sioux" wearing their Sioux gear. Only then do I see the truth that I am not alone.

Sioux yeah yeah!!

• Upvote 1

I have that on my bucket list. There are about 5 other plays I have on the chalk board. But as Kenny says, "you gotta know when to hold them"

...I'm not saying I will ever do them. I have ambitions and ideas of how to make a move on this. I would think there are others. Life gets in the way. You need time, money and allies and I will tell you I have been making some good progress on all three. I'm not there yet but I will continue toward that goal. I take the lead from people like coach Hakstol in the way he works toward a goal. Every day try to take a step forward- improve.

If there were 10,000 of me in the name corner we would not be in the horrific spot we find ourselves in today. For Christ's sake we had/have the truth on our side. The opposition, the whole lot of them, has nothing more than a house of cards supporting their mandate. It is reprehensible that we are in the place we are. Mawkishly cowering onto a new name, mandated by those who failed us with thier-at least apathy, but more appropriately opposition- to what they should have advocated. The fact that they still lead us is pathetic in and of itself. And yet here we are. Is all we have in us is a resolve to condescend those who chose not to surrender. You all are so good at throwing stones there. Yet conversely, not one person had posted re the incendiary words the chancellor wrote in president Kelly's Performance evaluation. In ANY rational society that man would be fired for writting such a propagandized bunch of lies. But nay not so, only comments charged against people who say the things I do shunning every word as if it the cure to cancer.

The funniest thing is I will go and watch the Fighting Sioux open up a can of whoopass on the Pioneers this weekend and personally witness thousands of Sioux fans yell out, "home of the Sioux" wearing their Sioux gear. Only then do I see the truth that I am not alone.

Sioux yeah yeah!!

Just like the Marquette fans who wear their "Warrior" gear, Dartmouth fans wearing their "Indians" gear. I am sure they will see those names come back too. You my friend may be waiting quite a long time for the Fighting Sioux name to come back.

Just like the Marquette fans who wear their "Warrior" gear, Dartmouth fans wearing their "Indians" gear. I am sure they will see those names come back too. You my friend may be waiting quite a long time for the Fighting Sioux name to come back.

First you suggest a plan of action. Now you say 'may be' where as before you said 'never'.

This is good. Much better. There is hope after all!

First you suggest a plan of action. Now you say 'may be' where as before you said 'never'.

This is good. Much better. There is hope after all!

And may be UND will be in the Big 10, and may be UND will knock off Duke to win March Madness. You're funny.

Sioux yeah yeah!!

This brings to mind an old movie called the "The Dream Team". You aren't getting a ride to the game in a Dodge van with other patients driven by a psychiatrist with Stephen Furst mimicking a sports broadcaster are you??? Great movie by the way but those guys never made it to the Yankees game that day.