SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

My top choices (no particular order): Warriors, Frackers, Soo Liners, Brave, Aeros.

Someone mentioned earlier (paraphrasing) "why does it have to a tie to state/region"? I think it does. Many times, the flagship university has a nichname associated with a state nickname, like badgers, Hoosiers, buckeyes. If you here the word "Hoosier", you automatically think either the state of Indiana or Indiana university. That's what I want.

My top choices (no particular order): Warriors, Frackers, Soo Liners, Brave, Aeros.

Someone mentioned earlier (paraphrasing) "why does it have to a tie to state/region"? I think it does. Many times, the flagship university has a nichname associated with a state nickname, like badgers, Hoosiers, buckeyes. If you here the word "Hoosier", you automatically think either the state of Indiana or Indiana university. That's what I want.

USC Trojans...Michigan Wolverines...UCLA Bruins...Michigan State Spartans...

USC Trojans...Michigan Wolverines...UCLA Bruins...Michigan State Spartans...

Not sure what your point is.  Michigan is the Wolverine state and the California state animal is the grizzly bear which is a bruin or brown bear.  Both are related to the individual regions.  Trojans and Spartans can be traced back to ancient Greece.  They aren't directly related to California or Michigan.  A lot of the main state universities have a nickname related to the local state or region, not all of them do.  And USC is a private school so it doesn't even fit in a discussion of what state schools use for nicknames.

Not sure what your point is.  Michigan is the Wolverine state and the California state animal is the grizzly bear which is a bruin or brown bear.  Both are related to the individual regions.  Trojans and Spartans can be traced back to ancient Greece.  They aren't directly related to California or Michigan.  A lot of the main state universities have a nickname related to the local state or region, not all of them do.  And USC is a private school so it doesn't even fit in a discussion of what state schools use for nicknames.

Who wrote the rule book that it is a must?

I am good with it if the name and mascot are good but I wouldn't want something stupid just because it is related to the state.

Not sure what your point is. Michigan is the Wolverine state and the California state animal is the grizzly bear which is a bruin or brown bear. Both are related to the individual regions. Trojans and Spartans can be traced back to ancient Greece. They aren't directly related to California or Michigan. A lot of the main state universities have a nickname related to the local state or region, not all of them do.

Leave it to 82SiouxGuy to throw in a semi-snarky comment while taking an opposing viewpoint on anything I write. I swear, if I typed a lengthy post on David Berkowitz and his cold-blooded 1970's killing spree, you would find a way to rebut that with a positive story on the Son of Sam not being such a bad guy.

Despite being the "Wolverine State," the only recorded sighting of an actual Wolverine in Michigan in recent history was ten years ago. Before that, we're talking 1800's. I'm unaware of any Spartan sightings in the state - they seem to be far more difficult to spot. And, yes, California's state animal is the bear. Seen one in Los Angeles recently?

• Upvote 3

I am good with it if the name and mascot are good but I wouldn't want something stupid just because it is related to the state.

I guess I don't see a "must" as much as a "why some do" in this: 

A lot of the main state universities have a nickname related to the local state or region, not all of them do.  

If a state nickname related moniker is a must ... Peace Gardeners! :D

Minnesota's "Gopher State" won out in a battle

with folks who wanted to go with "Beaver State."

Wisconsin isn't named "The Badger State" because of the amount of actual badgers in the state - the name caught on due to miners in the 1800's digging holes while looking for lead and even living in them in the winter, which made people liken them to badgers.

Leave it to 82SiouxGuy to throw in a semi-snarky comment while taking an opposing viewpoint on anything I write. I swear, if I typed a lengthy post on David Berkowitz and his cold-blooded 1970's killing spree, you would find a way to rebut that with a positive story on the Son of Sam not being such a bad guy.

Despite being the "Wolverine State," the only recorded sighting of an actual Wolverine in Michigan in recent history was ten years ago. Before that, we're talking 1800's. I'm unaware of any Spartan sightings in the state - they seem to be far more difficult to spot. And, yes, California's state animal is the bear. Seen one in Los Angeles recently?

The last bear sighting I can remember in LA was about a year ago.

I'm not sure who even said it was in the rule book.  Dustin said that many times flagships universities have a nickname associated with the state nickname, and that it is his preference.  He didn't say it was in the rule book that it had to be.  I said that a lot of the main state schools do it, but not all.  My point is that it isn't a requirement but that it is very common. I don't remember seeing anyone say that it is an absolute requirement.

Obviously you didn't understand my point.  2 of the nicknames you threw out are associated with the states, even if those animals aren't common in the states at this point.  Do you see a lot of Tarheels, or Sooners around these days?  I think you could find a lot of nicknames that don't fit under present conditions.  Also, one of the schools you mentioned is a private school.  The point that has been discussed is that flagship, state supported schools often use nicknames based on state nicknames or other state emblems.  So USC doesn't fit in the discussion about what flagship state schools have done.  Your list of 4 schools in that response are all over the point, hence my saying that I didn't understand your point.

Even Michigan isn't necessarily nicknamed the Wolverines because the animal was so populous in Michigan.  In fact, it's possible the name stuck because Ohioans stuck them with it.

http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/umosu/mascot.htm

The last theory derives from the border dispute between Michigan and Ohio in 1803, often referred to as the "Toledo War." While the two sides argued over the proper setting of the state line, Michiganders were called wolverines. It is unclear, however, whether the Michigan natives pinned this name upon themselves to show their tenacity and strength, or whether Ohioans chose the name in reference to the gluttonous, aggressive, habits of the wolverine. From then on, Michigan was labeled the "Wolverine state" and when the University of Michigan was founded, it simply adopted the nickname of the state it represented.

Question: will the idiots that be actually consider a relevant, purposeful nickname as many have brought up in this forum?

There ought to be a way to get a majority behind a single nickname and get that backed by alum, boosters, and fans. After all, it is about the almighty dollar. Turn this forum into picking a realistic nickname, go grassroots, print up the logo, distribute it, and get it recognized and backed by the people that matter.

For what it is worth...I actually like the "Warriors" in reference to the military. Honor them and the idiots would be proven to be just that if they didnt back it

• Upvote 1