SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

http://www.grandfork...er-new-nickname

There’s no need for UND to be shy at this point about choosing a new nickname. Just the opposite, in fact. There’s every reason for the university to pick up the pace — to start naming people to committees, soliciting ideas from fans and issuing press releases about the results. But shy is how UND is choosing to proceed.

Paging President Kelley..... it's time to lead the university in something.... anything.

• Upvote 1

I don't often agree with Tom Dennis and his cute little editorials, but this one is right on the money. Using "UND" or "University of North Dakota" or "North Dakota" or (heaven forbid) "Green and White" into perpetuity are not viable options. I remember Grand Forks Central's process for picking a new name back when I was going to school there. Some people were loudly pushing to be called "GFC" or "Grand Forks Central" arguing "That says it all!" :silly: So we got stuck with "Maroon and Grey" for two years. Then in 1995, they finally wised up and picked "Knights", which has served the school well ever since.

In the 21st century, branding is very important. We must have a distinct brand of our own. "North Dakota" is too generic and too easily confused with "North Dakota State". Is anyone else as sick of our hockey team being called "North Dakota State" by the national (and even regional) sports media as I am? Picking a new name and logo would help prevent that from happening.

If we don't have a new name and logo in place for the start of the 2015-16 sports calendar, it will represent a failure of leadership and vision by the Kelley Administration.

• Upvote 1

I don't often agree with Tom Dennis and his cute little editorials, but this one is right on the money. Using "UND" or "University of North Dakota" or "North Dakota" or (heaven forbid) "Green and White" into perpetuity are not viable options. I remember Grand Forks Central's process for picking a new name back when I was going to school there. Some people were loudly pushing to be called "GFC" or "Grand Forks Central" arguing "That says it all!" :silly: So we got stuck with "Maroon and Grey" for two years. Then in 1995, they finally wised up and picked "Knights", which has served the school well ever since.

In the 21st century, branding is very important. We must have a distinct brand of our own. "North Dakota" is too generic and too easily confused with "North Dakota State". Is anyone else as sick of our hockey team being called "North Dakota State" by the national (and even regional) sports media as I am? Picking a new name and logo would help prevent that from happening.

If we don't have a new name and logo in place for the start of the 2015-16 sports calendar, it will represent a failure of leadership and vision by the Kelley Administration.

We will always be called NDSU by media that doesn't know the difference and it's not because of the nickname. In 2001 ESPN called us North Dakota St during the DII football championship game against GVSU. They do that with NDSU too, by not only media but the NCAA. Lol!!

"But shy is how UND is choosing to proceed." This is so true. Go ahead pick a bunch of people, have pages of nicknames.....BUT slow down on chopping that list down.

That would be a smart move.

That would be a smart move.

I didn't feel like signing up for livefyre or whatever, but in regards to your blog: Nobody wants UND to pick a nickname willy nilly, including Tom Dennis. We want them to start moving forward with the process of selecting a name, which the leadership appears to be afraid to do. 2015 is only 5 months away. If we want a nickname in time for the 2015-16 academic year (we should) and we want the nickname to be something that has the support/acceptance of a lot of different groups of people (alumni, locals, students, faculty, etc.), then we need to get the process started months ago.

• Upvote 2

I didn't feel like signing up for livefyre or whatever, but in regards to your blog: Nobody wants UND to pick a nickname willy nilly, including Tom Dennis. We want them to start moving forward with the process of selecting a name, which the leadership appears to be afraid to do. 2015 is only 5 months away. If we want a nickname in time for the 2015-16 academic year (we should) and we want the nickname to be something that has the support/acceptance of a lot of different groups of people (alumni, locals, students, faculty, etc.), then we need to get the process started months ago.

What's wrong with being North Dakota? I have heard and had a lot of people tell me that's the option that they like. I have bad feeling UND is going to end up with a stupid name like Sun Dogs.

I found this to be ironic, something that's obviously unrecognized by Tom Dennis:

And that means UND’s lack of a powerful, inspiring and immediately recognizable nickname for fans to rally around hurts the university

That was the "Fighting Sioux". Any substitute nickname will not be "powerful, inspiring and immediately recognizable". What planet is he on, especially considering the shrill fanaticism of the various "stakeholders" (i.e. politically correct professors and administrators right at UND)? "sUNDogs" would be powerful and intimidating to be sure. Any nickname chosen is guaranteed to be utterly insipid and thoroughly uninspiring.

• Upvote 1

President Kelley..... it's time to lead the university in something.... anything.

Tough to do when one gazes longingly at a Mason jar on one's desk containing his pair...............

I found this to be ironic, something that's obviously unrecognized by Tom Dennis:

And that means UND’s lack of a powerful, inspiring and immediately recognizable nickname for fans to rally around hurts the university

That was the "Fighting Sioux". Any substitute nickname will not be "powerful, inspiring and immediately recognizable". What planet is he on, especially considering the shrill fanaticism of the various "stakeholders" (i.e. politically correct professors and administrators right at UND)? "sUNDogs" would be powerful and intimidating to be sure. Any nickname chosen is guaranteed to be utterly insipid and thoroughly uninspiring.

Amen.

If I recall correctly, the wording of the North Dakota law prohibits UND from even beginning the process of choosing a new name prior to 2015. UND needs to be careful how they go about this or any wingnut can file a challenge in court that UND violated state law. I believe that is why the UND announcement was very carefully worded to say the group is only looking at the process of selecting a new name at this time.