SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

North Dakota is the Sioux state and roughrider state.

Minnesota is the gopher state.

Seems like the new nickname would be a no brainier!

Agree...Roughriders to me has always been the obvious and logical choice.

• Upvote 2

Agree...Roughriders to me has always been the obvious and logical choice.

As unfortunate as it is for RR HS, I agree that this is the most natural name for UND teams. There may be some confusion initially among the local press etc., but Roughriders would be a good nationwide moniker. As a Central grad I do not have the attachment to RR HS and hence not the concern, but I think UND and RR can coexist with the same name.

I hope thats a joke because there are enough bad rodent names in use already.

Is it a bad rodent name when it is the state animal of North Dakota? Always good to have a name that has some significance to your state. We live in the Flickertail State.

Roughriders are not from North Dakota. Closest area in Oklahoma. Might be a good idea to take a peek into the history of the Rough Riders. Wikipedia Link.

Is it a bad rodent name when it is the state animal of North Dakota? Always good to have a name that has some significance to your state. We live in the Flickertail State.

Roughriders are not from North Dakota. Closest area in Oklahoma. Might be a good idea to take a peek into the history of the Rough Riders. Wikipedia Link.

You're so smart. Thanks for setting us set straight.

Honestly reapers is a stupid idea. Too new and trendy sounding. Naming your team after a USAF vehicle? That is something I'd expect from an Arena League team. How dumb would it sound in twenty years when A.) they might not be associated with 'reapers' at GFAFB anymore, and B.) they are outdated vehicles.

You wouldn't name your team the "Phantoms" because a local Air Force Base has a squadron of F-4's. You wouldn't call your team the Warthogs because the local base has A-10 Tankbusters. Or the "Flying Fortresses." Just my opinion.

Bring back the Flickertails. A.) State animal correct? and B.) adorable little guys.

Sorry not going to happen. President Kelley already said UND will NOT be called the Flickertails again.

Yes, when considering a new nickname I believe is not a great choice. North Dakota is also the Peace Garden State but I think the 'Gardeners' is a bad name as well.

Honestly reapers is a stupid idea. Too new and trendy sounding. Naming your team after a USAF vehicle? That is something I'd expect from an Arena League team. How dumb would it sound in twenty years when A.) they might not be associated with 'reapers' at GFAFB anymore, and B.) they are outdated vehicles.

You wouldn't name your team the "Phantoms" because a local Air Force Base has a squadron of F-4's. You wouldn't call your team the Warthogs because the local base has A-10 Tankbusters. Or the "Flying Fortresses." Just my opinion.

Bring back the Flickertails. A.) State animal correct? and B.) adorable little guys.

Glad you like it. Feel free to bring it to the NDSUA&AS administration as the new nickname for your teams --> NDSU Flickertails.

Glad you like it. Feel free to bring it to the NDSUA&AS administration as the new nickname for your teams --> NDSU Flickertails.

Remember NDSU fans don't care about the Bison name just NDSU so it wouldn't bother them at all. :whistling:

Honestly reapers is a stupid idea. Too new and trendy sounding.

Seriously? A reaper is a harvester. First it was a person with a scythe; then it was a machine by McCormick. Those built the basis of this state. Today it's a UAV. For all of history it's been the image of the one we'll all meet sooner or later. There's centuries, not "trendy". Ultimately, you don't like the idea because it's something worth a look. ;)

As far a "Flickertails", in today's marketing driven world that won't work, too similar, with the "Midas-touched rodetia" immediatelly to the state's east.

Again, to those that like North Stars, hey consider it, but also consider it's the state motto of Minnesota. (And I do believe the NHL ownership group in Dallas still owns that name.)

As far as Rough Riders, Lt. Col. T. Roosevelt was a "Rough Rider". Who's he? Just the the guy who said, "I would have never been President if not for my time in North Dakota." You may have heard of that guy. There's only a National Park in the state named for him.

• Upvote 1

Seriously? A reaper is a harvester. First it was a person with a scythe; then it was a machine by McCormick. Those built the basis of this state. Today it's a UAV. For all of history it's been the image of the one we'll all meet sooner or later. There's centuries, not "trendy". Ultimately, you don't like the idea because it's something worth a look. ;)

As far a "Flickertails", in today's marketing driven world that won't work, too similar, with the "Midas-touched rodetia" immediatelly to the state's east.

Again, to those that like North Stars, hey consider it, but also consider it's the state motto of Minnesota. (And I do believe the NHL ownership group in Dallas still owns that name.)

As far as Rough Riders, Lt. Col. T. Roosevelt was a "Rough Rider". Who's he? Just the the guy who said, "I would have never been President if not for my time in North Dakota." You may have heard of that guy. There's only a National Park in the state named for him.

Careful with that logic Sic...your post will end up on BVille's Preposterous Statements thread. NDSU fans doesn't like it when a UND fan makes them look like a complete idiot.

• Upvote 2

As unfortunate as it is for RR HS, I agree that this is the most natural name for UND teams. There may be some confusion initially among the local press etc., but Roughriders would be a good nationwide moniker. As a Central grad I do not have the attachment to RR HS and hence not the concern, but I think UND and RR can coexist with the same name.

I am a RR grad and I don't have a problem with Roughriders for UND. I kinda like Fighting Sioux but from what I hear that doesn't work anymore.

Sorry not going to happen. President Kelley already said UND will NOT be called the Flickertails again.

Thanks God. Flickertails is awful. I realize it was once our name, but it was a good name, then UND wouldn't have changed it. Roughriders is a predictable and logical choice, but that doesn't mean it is the best. hopefully they come up with something that is unique and has some local ties to it.

I know the name "Wildfire" has been mentioned on this thread before, albeit with some pretty harsh reviews. But consider this: It's got history - prairie Wildfires were an uncontrollable force of nature that caused total destruction in ND at the time of settlement. It's got significance - the UND academic logo has a flame in it. Wouldn't a team that opponents can't control and suffer total destruction be the ideal?

Thanks God. Flickertails is awful. I realize it was once our name, but it was a good name, then UND wouldn't have changed it. Roughriders is a predictable and logical choice, but that doesn't mean it is the best. hopefully they come up with something that is unique and has some local ties to it.

The thing about Flickertails was UND never had a jersey that said it it was almost like an unofficial name. UND still were known and had jerseys that said Nodaks.

I know the name "Wildfire" has been mentioned on this thread before, albeit with some pretty harsh reviews. But consider this: It's got history - prairie Wildfires were an uncontrollable force of nature that caused total destruction in ND at the time of settlement. It's got significance - the UND academic logo has a flame in it. Wouldn't a team that opponents can't control and suffer total destruction be the ideal?

The only problem with Wildfire is you would have have red or orange be the predominent color in any logo or branding. Not sure how you could still integrate green and white into that. The name is grreat, but the colors would not work.

The only problem with Wildfire is you would have have red or orange be the predominent color in any logo or branding. Not sure how you could still integrate green and white into that. The name is grreat, but the colors would not work.

1049971_1339424248596_full.jpg

it's green here :D

Hmm..wouldn't think UND wants to be associated with something so closely with agriculture....cause cows go moo. Some on here like harassing NDSU for being an Ag School...you know, Moo U? Yet you want to be named after that? Hmm...indeed.

Teddy was a democrat. Grand Forks is pretty liberal. Maybe the idea works. ;)

Hmm..wouldn't think UND wants to be associated with something so closely with agriculture....cause cows go moo. Some on here like harassing NDSU for being an Ag School...you know, Moo U? Yet you want to be named after that? Hmm...indeed.

Teddy was a democrat. Grand Forks is pretty liberal. Maybe the idea works. ;)

Teddy Roosevelt was a Republican. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a Democrat. They were related, but not the same guy. I hope you aren't a history major at SU.
  • Upvote 1

Teddy Roosevelt was a Republican. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a Democrat. They were related, but not the same guy. I hope you aren't a history major at SU.

Whoopsie daiseys. Scanned over the president page too quickly. Thought about being a history major. I want to make money. Money is not in history. I am also sure that not all history professors know the political party of every individual president....though the Native Americans at UND might not be all for being named after a Roosevelt's Unit when he said,

"I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." - Teddy.