SiouxSports.com Forum

Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg?

Shawn-O

J - E - T - S, Jets, Jets, Jets to borrow from the NFL Jets, but this is great news for the region. Let's hope it's true. Move the North Stars (Wild) to the Norris, Nashville to the Southeast, bring Winnipeg HOME to the Northwest, and the Sioux bring home #8 (as the loss to Michigan still hurts as bad as 98')........and all will be good.

J - E - T - S, Jets, Jets, Jets to borrow from the NFL Jets, but this is great news for the region. Let's hope it's true. Move the North Stars (Wild) to the Norris, Nashville to the Southeast, bring Winnipeg HOME to the Northwest, and the Sioux bring home #8 (as the loss to Michigan still hurts as bad as 98')........and all will be good.

I was surprised to hear the other day that the NHL owns the rights to the name Jets or something like that and the franchise would be called the Manitoba Moose. I find it hard to believe though that they wouldn't allow them to be the Winnipeg Jets again, simply for name recognition. Anyone else hear this?

I was surprised to hear the other day that the NHL owns the rights to the name Jets or something like that and the franchise would be called the Manitoba Moose. I find it hard to believe though that they wouldn't allow them to be the Winnipeg Jets again, simply for name recognition. Anyone else hear this?

I don't know, but could this be because the NHL owns the Phoenix Coyotes, who may have retained the rights to the Jets name when they moved from Winnipeg?

I think that it would be great to have the JETS name return to Winnipeg and the region. During the 2005 World Juniors at The Ralph, the Canadian Fans went crazy and started chanting "JETS" when the arena camera showed the Winnipeg Jets Banner (the one that use to hang on the North Wall inside The Ralph).

The name "JETS" is still in the collective memory of Winnipeg Fans. Based on that I think It would be a tougher sell at first without using "JETS" name for the team. And I personally prefer it.

I think that it would be great to have the JETS name return to Winnipeg and the region. During the 2005 World Juniors at The Ralph, the Canadian Fans went crazy and started chanting "JETS" when the arena camera showed the Winnipeg Jets Banner (the one that use to hang on the North Wall inside The Ralph).

The name "JETS" is still in the collective memory of Winnipeg Fans. Based on that I think It would be a tougher sell at first without using "JETS" name for the team. And I personally prefer it.

What's the genesis of the "Jets" name and its connection to Winnipeg? I know it was the name of the WHA/NHL team and before that a minor league team but were airplanes once manufactured there? What's the historical connection, if any? Also, would going with "Manitoba" over "Winnipeg" make others in the province feel more ownership of the team?

The Predators will never leave Nashville, NEVER!

Winnipeg Jets founder Benny Hatskinwas a fan of the NY Jets and named the hockey team after them, sorry no source just what I've heard on Winnipeg sports radio

Winnipeg has a few large aerospace employers including Boeing. It also has a large airforce base that is Canada's Air Command headquarters and Canada's NORAD headquarters so I guess the Jets name is appropriate.

What's the genesis of the "Jets" name and its connection to Winnipeg? I know it was the name of the WHA/NHL team and before that a minor league team but were airplanes once manufactured there? What's the historical connection, if any? Also, would going with "Manitoba" over "Winnipeg" make others in the province feel more ownership of the team?

Just out of curiosity... what NHL team were you a fan of prior to 1998, and what made you become a Predators fan?

I grew up in Nashville and like most people from Tennessee the Predators were my first real exposure to the sport of hockey. I remember when they announced that the NHL was coming to Nashville and hocw people said it would never work, now it is impossible to imagine Nashville without the Preds.

Oh, okay, that's cool. Sorry, but this leads to another question I can't help but ask... how and when did a Nashville native become a Sioux fan? Do you have any ties to ND or just like the Sioux hockey team?

I'm a PhD candidate at UND. I've had season tickets for hockey the past four years and never miss a game ( I even watch away games or listen to the radio broadcasts). Plus ,I followed the Sioux before I came to school here (the D.O.T. line era). I go to all the home football games and try to fit in as many basketball and women's hockey games as I can. When I go home twice a year I'm amazed at how many people in Nashville (especially at Predator games) are wearing Sioux gear (hats, jerseys, t-shirts) and watch the home games on cable. I'm very proud to be affiliated with UND have converted all of my family and friends into die hard Sioux fans ( I get loads of request for Sioux gear when I come home).

This is probably already well known by the hockey crowd on this site, but Mark Chipman, who heads up True North Sports, is a UND alum and former Sioux football player..........

Seriously? Being a PHX Coyotes fan I guess the Winnipeg/Manitoba Whatstheirnames will become my second favorite team....What year did he graduate?

Seriously? Being a PHX Coyotes fan I guess the Winnipeg/Manitoba Whatstheirnames will become my second favorite team....What year did he graduate?

Chip graduated around 1983. He is a good guy and it is exciting to see him with a chance to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg..

Chip graduated around 1983. He is a good guy and it is exciting to see him with a chance to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg..

He was on the UND football team 79-82. Also went to law school. I believe he practiced law for a bit in Florida before returning home to Winnipeg.