SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

SIDNEY CROSBY and ALEXANDER OVECHKIN played in that game. Those two players are to the NHL what Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are to the NFL. Anybody who thinks a Division I-AA football game would be a bigger event than that is a delusional moron. We aren't talking about what North Dakota residents would take more interest in, we're talking about what is the bigger event overall.

In the United States, hockey is a small community. A lot of people have heard of it...and they've seen clips on TV while they're surfing. They rarely watch it, if ever. They don't understand the rules...and it's boring to them.

The World Juniors is a big deal in the hockey community. Outside of it, it's irrelevant. The same would apply to some of the major wrestling events that have taken place at NDSU over the years. There have been a few national tournaments.

The American culture embraces football, baseball, and basketball. Hockey has made some big strides...but until most of our high schools and universities compete in it, the sport will have more of a cult following.

Hockey fans are totally dedicated to the sport. I respect this. It's a great sport.

But this thread is about whether the old rivalry should come back...or perhaps 'when' would be a more fitting word.

Both schools are competing at a level that more closely resembles DII prior to the time when the scholarship levels began to drop.

When UND shows that it is one of the top Big Sky programs, then the game makes good sense for both parties.

Until then...not...

A while back in this thread somebody suggested that the next Sioux/Bison football game (assuming that there will be a next one at some point in time) would be the biggest sporting event ever played in the state of North Dakota. That isn't so. It would be probably the sporting event most payed attention to by North Dakota residents, but few people outside the state would care or notice. The total number of people in the world who follow the World Jr. hockey tournament is much greater than the total number of people in the world who follow Sioux or Bison football.

You are making the most pointless argument ever. Yes, more people around the world would be interested in the JV hockey tournement. We'll just put it this way....if you ask the people in the area (North Dakota, Minnesota, and maybe even South Dakota) what they'd rather have, the World Juniors or a Bison/Sioux game, most people would take the football game. Who cares what some schmuck in Canada or Sweden thinks is bigger? To the people here, and those are the people whose opinion really matters, they'd love to see a NDSU/UND game when both teams are relevant. Heck, even the people who like watching FCS football would probably love to see the game just because message boards have shown them the amount of bad blood between the fans.

You are making the most pointless argument ever. Yes, more people around the world would be interested in the JV hockey tournement. We'll just put it this way....if you ask the people in the area (North Dakota, Minnesota, and maybe even South Dakota) what they'd rather have, the World Juniors or a Bison/Sioux game, most people would take the football game. Who cares what some schmuck in Canada or Sweden thinks is bigger? To the people here, and those are the people whose opinion really matters, they'd love to see a NDSU/UND game when both teams are relevant. Heck, even the people who like watching FCS football would probably love to see the game just because message boards have shown them the amount of bad blood between the fans.

Dave making a pointless argument on here. No......that can't be possible.

• Upvote 1

Earth to JohnboyND7 : There is a world outside of the state of North Dakota. Until the Sioux and/or Bison start to develop players who make the kind of impact on the NFL that Crosby and Ovechkin have made on the NHL, this isn't even debatable.

Alright. The Curling Championships in North Dakota were the biggest sporting event in North Dakota history. It was WAY bigger than the world junior hockey tournement, on account of it wasn't a JV tourney. It was so big! All the best curling(one of my favorite winter olympic sports) teams from across the world were in North Dakota! It was amazing. And to think, I got to see the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady of curling IN THEIR PRIME. Too bad you could only watch Ovechkin and Crosby in the flesh when they were pretty young.

Bison/Sioux game....that is small-minded to think it is a big event for the area and especially inside the state of North Dakota. World Junior Hockey and World Curling Championships should always be in North Dakota! Events of those magnitude (especially the best curling teams in the world coming here) will bring North Dakota the kind of exposure we all could appreciate, right Dave?

Earth to JohnboyND7 : There is a world outside of the state of North Dakota. Until the Sioux and/or Bison start to develop players who make the kind of impact on the NFL that Crosby and Ovechkin have made on the NHL, this isn't even debatable.

The fact that this argument deals with two different sports and different levels makes in undebatable. Can we just end the "biggest sporting even in North Dakota" debate?! Seriously, getting lame. Thanks

Let's just say it would be the biggest event in the state of North Dakota from the perspective of the people of North Dakota.

Agreed. Also, one less quality ooc game to worry about each year for both teams because you know either team wouldn't back out once it is on the books.

There is no doubt that a renewal of this old rivalry would be the biggest sporting event in North Dakota. It would probably draw some national attention when the first one happens.

To argue that other events, that have national or world implications, would be bigger is a moot point. It's really not in line with the discussion here. Anyone with a brain understands that there are major sporting events that dwarf a Bison-Sioux game, in terms of national & world attention.

What's important is that most North Dakotans would be aware of the game, and a vast majority would be white-hot about who wins.

The Auburn-Alabama game is the biggest sporting event 'in' the state of Alabama. Our game would be the same...on a smaller stage. But it would still be just as important here...as it is there.

But...I don't want this game to happen until both programs are functioning at a very high level within their conference, and the FCS.

I don't want one team to seemingly have everything to lose...and nothing to gain. The playing field must be level.

The Bison are there. I expect the Sioux to be a strong Big Sky program sooner than most people think.

The Auburn-Alabama game is the biggest sporting event 'in' the state of Alabama. Our game would be the same...on a smaller stage. But it would still be just as important here...as it is there.

Don't say that. Auburn/Alabama is everything that is wrong and right with sports. NDSU/UND while fun, and to be taken seriously, is no Auburn/Bama

Don't say that. Auburn/Alabama is everything that is wrong and right with sports. NDSU/UND while fun, and to be taken seriously, is no Auburn/Bama

Football is no religion in these parts. I wish it was, but it's not, not even close. Passionate and crazy, but not radical and extreme like they are. Some portion of each fanbase would cheer for the other team in a big game for us while Alabama would love to see Auburn lose and lose and lose and lose and then lose some more while they win and win and rub it all in and say they have better BBQ

Football is no religion in these parts. I wish it was, but it's not, not even close. Passionate and crazy, but not radical and extreme like they are. Some portion of each fanbase would cheer for the other team in a big game for us while Alabama would love to see Auburn lose and lose and lose and lose and then lose some more while they win and win and rub it all in and say they have better BBQ

I disagree, the only reason this rivalry isn't considered similar to all the other "Big" rivalries, is because people in our part of the country have more respect for each than to turn it into a violent life-altering rivalry. ie. Texas fans cutting the testicles off an Oklahoma fan.

The other reason would be the size of the fanbases.

• Upvote 1

I disagree, the only reason this rivalry isn't considered similar to all the other "Big" rivalries, is because people in our part of the country have more respect for each than to turn it into a violent life-altering rivalry. ie. Texas fans cutting the testicles off an Oklahoma fan.

The other reason would be the size of the fanbases.

OK......I have to say that I have not heard the story of Texas fans cutting off the nuts of an Oklahoma fan. Tell me more about this........sounds like an urban legend, but I am suspecting it actually happened......

OK......I have to say that I have not heard the story of Texas fans cutting off the nuts of an Oklahoma fan. Tell me more about this........sounds like an urban legend, but I am suspecting it actually happened......

I found this: Except Bison06 got it backwards. OK fans cutting off the nuts of Texas Fan.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296466,00.html

To some Oklahoma football fans, there are things that just aren't done in the heart of Sooner Nation, and one of them is to walk into a bar wearing a Texas Longhorns T-shirt.

"He could see both of his testicles hanging on the outside of his body," said Thomas' attorney, Carl Hughes. "He was wearing a pair of white shorts, which made it that much worse."

The nut grabber was 53 and pulled him down by his testicles.

• 2 weeks later...

NDSU doesn't want to play UND every year because they would have to give up a home game. They said can't afford it. NDSU just filled their schedule for next year by agreeing with Prairie View to come to Fargo. Reports are they had to pay 200,000 or more to get the game. Something about this sounds funny. Whatever.

• Upvote 2

NDSU doesn't want to play UND every year because they would have to give up a home game. They said can't afford it. NDSU just filled their schedule for next year by agreeing with Prairie View to come to Fargo. Reports are they had to pay 200,000 or more to get the game. Something about this sounds funny. Whatever.

200,000 for a SWAC team? Damn. I wonder if a team would back out against UND and Faison had to search for a replacement if UND would have to fork over that much to get a DI team up here. GT said teams don't want to come to Fargo...what about Grand Forks?

First class plane tickets, posh hotel rooms, mansions, $200,000 for a glorified Division II game ....eh it's only taxpayer money.

Actually, athletic departments at public colleges don't get much for tax money. It's mostly private donations and gate receipts. I think the only time tax money is used is to pay salaries on, say assistants that do other things like teach a PE class or something like that. There may be a few other exceptions too, but for the most part, it's the fans and supporters who keep the athletic department going, including ours.

First class plane tickets, posh hotel rooms, mansions, $200,000 for a glorified Division II game ....eh it's only taxpayer money.

NDSU can make pretty good money on a football game even paying $200,000 for someone like Prairieview A&M. They will probably sell out most, if not all, of their games this year after winning the title. It was more important to them to get a 6th home game to keep the fans happy than the extra $100,000 or so they had to pay for the game.

NDSU can make pretty good money on a football game even paying $200,000 for someone like Prairieview A&M. They will probably sell out most, if not all, of their games this year after winning the title. It was more important to them to get a 6th home game to keep the fans happy than the extra $100,000 or so they had to pay for the game.

It won't matter if its Prairie View A&M or Wagner...its an easy win that counts towards the 7 DI wins mark...unlike UND that won't draw much against SD Mines because its just a preseason game. I would rather UND pay 200,000 to get a DI team up here or whatever amount it takes instead of playing a non-DI team with playoffs on the line.

It won't matter if its Prairie View A&M or Wagner...its an easy win that counts towards the 7 DI wins mark...unlike UND that won't draw much against SD Mines because its just a preseason game. I would rather UND pay 200,000 to get a DI team up here or whatever amount it takes instead of playing a non-DI team with playoffs on the line.

Where do you suggest they find the $200,000?

UND isn't going to generate $200,000 in revenue against most DI teams. UND would have to get more than 13,300 paid attendance at $15 per ticket just to get that $200,000. Students don't pay for tickets. That doesn't take into consideration the other costs of the game, like paying for the Alerus Center plus staff plus advertising plus everything else. UND would lose a lot of money paying $200,000 to most FCS teams. Most FCS schools would lose a lot of money paying $200,000 to host another FCS school. That is a stupid way to run an athletic department when football is supposed to be one of your money making programs. That's why a lot of FCS teams play a game against lesser competition, and that's why SD School of Mines is still on the schedule.